View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 1st, 2014, 6:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 In the market for a new tv... 
Stadium Announcer

Post In the market for a new tv...
I'm looking to upgrade from my old 26" tv. I'm looking at Vizio and Sony and I'm not seeing any difference. Hoping to get something in the 40-49" range. Any help would be great, thanks!

December 20th, 2010, 10:22 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: In the market for a new tv...
I've always thought Vizio's looked nice and the price on them aren't bad either.

NEVER GIVE UP!

December 20th, 2010, 10:40 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

I used to post at this other forum and there was a guy there who claimed to be a TV salesman at a retailer like ABC or Sears or something.

For what it was worth, he said that it was always worth it just to pony up the extra dollars for the brand name TV and recommended Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, and LG. The most interesting thing he told me was -not- to buy TVs on black Friday. That many manufacturers designed special crappy models that they sold only on black Friday.

If you're going to use it for gaming, definitely get a plasma. And I wouldn't bother getting a 3D TV because the cheaper 3D TVs are really bad and the expensive ones are just that--super expensive.

I really like my 42" Panasonic Plasma. I bought it last year for $750. I thought at the time that 42" was huge, but in retrospect, I wish I just spent the extra $250 and got the 50".

December 20th, 2010, 11:42 pm
Stadium Announcer

Blueskies wrote:
I used to post at this other forum and there was a guy there who claimed to be a TV salesman at a retailer like ABC or Sears or something.

For what it was worth, he said that it was always worth it just to pony up the extra dollars for the brand name TV and recommended Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, and LG. The most interesting thing he told me was -not- to buy TVs on black Friday. That many manufacturers designed special crappy models that they sold only on black Friday.

If you're going to use it for gaming, definitely get a plasma. And I wouldn't bother getting a 3D TV because the cheaper 3D TVs are really bad and the expensive ones are just that--super expensive.

I really like my 42" Panasonic Plasma. I bought it last year for $750. I thought at the time that 42" was huge, but in retrospect, I wish I just spent the extra $250 and got the 50".

I thought Vizio was in the upper echelon in terms of lcd tv's, especially since they've outsold other top brands. The problem I have with ponying up the extra cash is that the most I can spend on a tv is roughly $600. Vizio's 42 inch lcd is the one that is consistently in my price range.

December 21st, 2010, 12:06 am

slydel9 wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

I thought Vizio was in the upper echelon in terms of lcd tv's, especially since they've outsold other top brands. The problem I have with ponying up the extra cash is that the most I can spend on a tv is roughly $600. Vizio's 42 inch lcd is the one that is consistently in my price range.

LG has a 42" on amazon for $500 right now.

December 21st, 2010, 12:32 am
Stadium Announcer

I went to go check it out. Only problem with it is that it only has 60 hertz, from what I've read about tv's larger than 32" is that 120 hertz is a much better viewing experience...

December 21st, 2010, 12:41 am

Here's another one:

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/ ... 71892.html

If you want the Vizio 42, just get it. I'm just trying to provide alternatives.

December 21st, 2010, 1:09 am
RIP Killer

I got a Sony, seemed better than the others. Im cheap so I went around looking for a display model, rockn deal.

December 21st, 2010, 1:34 am

Vizio's aren't bad. I've had a 32 for awhile and the picture quality is great. I bought my parents a 40" samsung last Christmas (Gave on Thanksgiving so I could watch the Lion's game on it) and its great too. Samsung just seems to have deeper blacks than the other brands, so the picture looks better, even at 60hz.

Go for what's in your price range as long as its 1080p. If you're not side by side comparing it to something else, the picture is going to look great compared to what you have now.

December 21st, 2010, 2:49 am
Modmin Dude

We have 2 Vizio's (42 & 52) and love them both. The 42 is 1080i and the 52 is 1080p both have great pictures and we have no complaints. From what I understand, Vizio's are pretty much the same as the "Top end" ones just with a different nameplate. If you're a Sam's Club member, you could probably get a deal using their credit account and having no interested for a certain period of time (both of ours was like 9-10 months).

Good luck!

December 21st, 2010, 9:13 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Blueskies wrote:

Bingo..I DID spend the extra 250 and got the 50" plasma. Im in LOOOOOOOVE. Also check where yer buying. sometimes you can put the 600.00 you have down and finance the rest for 6 months. It's worth it to get what you want instead of setttling now and having to go buy what you really wanted later.

December 21st, 2010, 9:16 am
Stadium Announcer

Thanks for all the help guys. I went out and got a 42 inch lcd vizio for around $420 at the local wal mart.

December 21st, 2010, 6:41 pm
RIP Killer

Sweet, you'll love it!

December 21st, 2010, 6:46 pm
Stadium Announcer

One more quick question guys, is blu-ray worth the money?

December 21st, 2010, 11:23 pm

Absolutely Blu-ray is worth it. Some players now are sub $100, and the difference in quality is worth getting.

December 22nd, 2010, 12:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next