View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 10:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 In the market for a new tv... 
RIP Killer

Post Re: In the market for a new tv...
FYI - I play a lot of COD on my Philips LCD (120 Hz) and it doesn't skip a beat. It's comparable to my plasma. No gaming complaints with either the 360 or the Wii.

January 6th, 2011, 10:07 am
Red Shirt Freshman

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
slydel9 wrote:
I've got the tv as well as a new surge protector. One more question, should i stick with my upconverting dvd player or make the jump to blu ray? Is there a huge difference between the two?

There is a difference, especially with a tv over 40 inches and if you have a surround sound system. If you don't you may not notice a huge difference. It also depends how much of a videofile/audiofile you are. If you notice little things about picture quality, you'll notice a difference. It's not a requirement by any means, but the way I look at it is why have the HD TV if you're not going to have HD components to go with it? I love having blu-ray.

Agreed TJ.

January 7th, 2011, 1:14 am
Stadium Announcer

Just wanted to thank everybody for their advice, went out and bought a blu ray player over the weekend and all I have to say is WOW!!!! Definitely a worthwhile purchase

January 16th, 2011, 10:58 am
RIP Killer

I was blown away as well the first few movies I watched. Crazy...

January 16th, 2011, 5:35 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

My 32" Samsung 720p HDTV kinda fried tonight, so I'm leaning toward upgrading to the VIZIO 42" LCD 1080p 120Hz HDTV, Model E420VL for $548.00 at Walmart. Unfortunately, by the time I log back on to check responses, it'll probably already be hooked up. I just hope I'm making the right choice here.

March 22nd, 2011, 12:35 am
Stadium Announcer

slybri19 wrote:
My 32" Samsung 720p HDTV kinda fried tonight, so I'm leaning toward upgrading to the VIZIO 42" LCD 1080p 120Hz HDTV, Model E420VL for $548.00 at Walmart. Unfortunately, by the time I log back on to check responses, it'll probably already be hooked up. I just hope I'm making the right choice here.

I bought the VIZIO 42" LCD 1080p 120Hz HDTV, model E421VA back in December and absolutely love it. I would say VIZIO is a solid product for the money, most of my friends and people in my dorm own VIZIO's and I haven't heard of any real problems with them.

March 22nd, 2011, 1:04 am
Pro Bowl Player

At the very least, you should check cnet:

Quote:
The good: Inexpensive for a 120Hz LCD; excellent color in bright areas; video processing handles 1080p/24 correctly; matte screen works well in bright lighting; solid picture adjustment options.

The bad: Reproduces relatively bright black levels; dark areas tinged blue; subpar off-angle viewing; benefits of 120Hz difficult to discern; fewer picture controls than some competitors; scarce analog inputs; ho-hum styling.

The bottom line: Among the least expensive 120Hz LCDs available, the Vizio E0VL series delivers a decent picture but falls a bit short of competitors.

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/ ... z1HKQvyCy2

March 22nd, 2011, 7:54 am
Player of the Year - Defense

yeah the Vizio's are great, the only downside is the lower color ratio, so you don't get the deeper level of blacks.

March 22nd, 2011, 11:30 am

Thanks for the input guys. I still haven't bought a new TV yet since I've been busy (plus I have two smaller ones), but I probably will tomorrow night. I'm still leaning toward the Vizio, but am going to check out a couple of other brands as well.

And thanks for the cnet link, Blueskies. It confirmed what I thought that Vizio's worked well in bright rooms. That's why I won't be getting a plasma. I have a huge bay window in the living room that lets too much light in. I suppose I could put up some dark drapes, but I kinda like it the way it is.

March 23rd, 2011, 8:54 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

I always read about things in consumers reports. Love that mag. Really gives good reviews on things.

Frok

March 24th, 2011, 8:18 pm

I finally bought the 42" Vizio tonight and so far, I'm impressed. It's a big improvement over my old 720p TV and should only get better once I add an HDMI cable tomorrow.

March 24th, 2011, 10:29 pm
Stadium Announcer

Where would you be buying the HDMI cable from? Usually stores have them way overpriced. I bought a few off amazon for .69 cents a piece and they're still going strong after almost 2 years.

March 24th, 2011, 10:31 pm

I work for a company that actually has HDMI cables in stock. So, I'll either get it for cost or they'll just give it to me for free. They've been known to do that sometimes.

March 24th, 2011, 10:46 pm
Stadium Announcer

slybri19 wrote:
I work for a company that actually has HDMI cables in stock. So, I'll either get it for cost or they'll just give it to me for free. They've been known to do that sometimes.

What a deal! Sounds like you're set then.

March 24th, 2011, 10:56 pm
RIP Killer

Your guys back and forth is a bit confusing with your names being 90% the same and all... ;)

Congrates on the TV. It is amazing the difference in quality these new TV's have.

March 25th, 2011, 10:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next