View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 3:08 am



Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Racy Superbowl Ad Shot down by Fox. 
Author Message
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12139
Post Re: Racy Superbowl Ad Shot down by Fox.
steensn wrote:
Pablo wrote:
All I was looking for was the Biblical stance, which you provided. While I naturally value humans over, say insects, I believe in not harming animals whenever possible (and I eat meat and love it) - I was just trying to get a better understanding of their viewpoints. Givin the historical context of when the Bible was written, I'm not surprised by the outlook towards animals. While I don't agree with it, I must certainly thank God for creating all these wonderful and varied species, and Noah for preserving them through the great flood if that indeed is what happened.

As for pork, I love bacon, ham and ribs so I'm not going to question the yumminess. Give the big man some serious credit on that one.


That is good, this is usually where the disagreement breaks down, see above. You are aware that the conclusions are based on different axiums and discussion isn't who conclusions are correct but rather who's axiums are if we really wanted to discuss it and talk about "open mindedness."

Nice 'thinly veiled' shot there steensn.

The problem/issue I'm having with you and your stance is that IMO you're trying to have it both ways. You want me to see things from your side, however you refuse to see them from mine. THAT is why I am done with you and these discussions.

Peace brother

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


April 11th, 2011, 10:02 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: Racy Superbowl Ad Shot down by Fox.
No Wags, I'm not. I asking you to dig deeper into your view and speak to me at the base disagreement of viewpoints. Just because you refuse to do so doesn't take away from my open mindedness. This isn't like going around trying on different types of pants like you want it to be. I totally GET what your point of view is. I am making a difference between looking at something from another point of view to using that point of view as some basis for an idiotic disagreement arguing these upper level ideals when the ISSUE is the basic world view.

Call me not opne minded, but I'm taking the discussion to the issue, not silly "but you have to look at it from my view" nonsense. It is a total red herring to ask someone to be open minded trying on religous pants after religious pants when you cannot even agree on the type of clothing you want to try on. It's complete utter denial of the fact that this is a discussion much deeeper than what you want to make it.

I'm open to having you explain things from your side but you don't. You just attack Christianity and say "Well I don't believe that." If you want to put it in your perspective maybe you should try doing that sometime...

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


April 11th, 2011, 10:16 am
Profile
3rd Round Selection

Joined: December 25th, 2005, 6:19 am
Posts: 1188
Post Re: Racy Superbowl Ad Shot down by Fox.
That is the last time I dig up an old thread, lol....the hell did I start!


April 11th, 2011, 10:51 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: Racy Superbowl Ad Shot down by Fox.
Rob_Shadows wrote:
That is the last time I dig up an old thread, lol....the hell did I start!


Gotta watch what you choose to point out as logically "flawed." You might be the one that is being a little short sighted ;) I refuse to let bad logic roll around in peoples minds on this subject. It only breeds nonsense that maybe someone has more issues with later. Maybe not a big deal to you now, but could be the starting point for someone else pursuaded by your comments. it is that important to me, the reason we are here, so I can't let it go.

Somehow that translates into me being closed minded, but whatever. I feel people just want to dumb it down so much that they refuse to address the real world view issue that is at the base of the discussion.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


April 11th, 2011, 11:00 am
Profile
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post Re: Racy Superbowl Ad Shot down by Fox.
Rob_Shadows wrote:
That is the last time I dig up an old thread, lol....the hell did I start!

Since you don't often participate in the Off Topic discussions here, you probably didn't know that steensn is a religious zealot who could put most Muslim extremists to shame. I personally try to avoid these topics, but every now and then, I like to take a jab at him like this:

steensn wrote:
Somehow that translates into me being closed minded, but whatever.


Do you accept the possibility that there may not be a God? Until you are able to do so, your mind is closed to every alternative to your own beliefs. Whether you see it or not, you project that characteristic upon yourself during every one of these discussions, hence people viewing you as closed minded. Atleast I can openly admit that I'm closed minded, biased, and a hypocrite. :D

Disclaimer: I'm just trying to have a little fun at steensn's expense. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite pastimes. :lol:

_________________
Image


April 11th, 2011, 9:55 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: Racy Superbowl Ad Shot down by Fox.
Lol, Sly, you wish you could actually bother me. I think people READ emotion into post that just aren't there. I am simply explaining things with lots of words several ways to make my point which is not at all getting worked up like some crazy person you want to project on me. No worries on my end.


I'll put it this simple, from my studies of many religions and science I would put athiesm as my next step than ANY other belief. I can say I am more open minded to athiesm than any other belief probably by 2 or 3 times.

But here is the deal Sly, I cannot control yours or anyone elses need to take my attempts to get us to the world view discussion as the base problem as not being open minded. It is absolute nonsense to discuss the pro's and con's of the Bible or any other religious book if the basic assumptions we have about it are not the same. How can anyone discuss any topic without addressing the basic reason why there is disagreement? It is nonsense.

We don't do it in science, which people here claim to cherish and respect the process of, total farce. We aren't taught it in school. If you go to any logics course you'd be laughed out of the room by the prof for proposing these so called logical issues as a responce. Why is it that we alow nonsense and fake "open mindedness" to rule in religion? You cannot be open minded to ANY other belief is you are not first focused on the world view focusing you to a few options.

I cannot fathem why me pointing out the obvious somehow limits me at all or makes me an extremist. It's crazy and nonsensical jibber jabber. There is some crazy self consciousness when it comes to religion that everyone sees the others as the enemy and we put up crazy projections of who they are and their intent. If we cannot agree on what thruth is, how can we agree what religion is truth? That is obviously an issue that no one wants to address and instead call me an extremist...(I know Sly you were poking fun, but it was a thought by many if not all).

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


April 12th, 2011, 10:24 am
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3824
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Racy Superbowl Ad Shot down by Fox.
OH DEAR LORD! Steens is serious! He broke out with Mr. T!!

Quote:
nonsensical jibber jabber


He ain't playin ya'll!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


April 12th, 2011, 6:11 pm
Profile
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post Re: Racy Superbowl Ad Shot down by Fox.
steensn wrote:
How can anyone discuss any topic without addressing the basic reason why there is disagreement? It is nonsense.


We have gone down this path before and you have not adequately addressed it. My primary reason for not believing in God is because there is zero physical evidence. None. Nada. Zip. Show me one shread of proof that is not heresay or conjecture, and I'll re-examine the possibility of an invisible dude in the sky. But, until that happens, you are just as likely to convince me that monkeys are flying out of your butt. Sorry, dude.

_________________
Image


April 13th, 2011, 11:09 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: Racy Superbowl Ad Shot down by Fox.
I never claimed to prove he did exist. I just said the issue is THAT level, your world view, not what I believe or someone else believes. You don't have to remind me that I don't meet your world view requirements, though no matter how unrealstic thye may be. I have already conceeded it is a decision in the end based on faith, which by definition doesn't have any 100% certaintenty. You define your requirements for faith in something as the exact opposite of faith.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


April 14th, 2011, 6:58 pm
Profile
Junior Varsity

Joined: January 24th, 2006, 8:52 pm
Posts: 180
Location: Chicago
Post Re: Racy Superbowl Ad Shot down by Fox.
slybri19 wrote:
We have gone down this path before and you have not adequately addressed it. My primary reason for not believing in God is because there is zero physical evidence. None. Nada. Zip. Show me one shread of proof that is not heresay or conjecture, and I'll re-examine the possibility of an invisible dude in the sky. But, until that happens, you are just as likely to convince me that monkeys are flying out of your butt. Sorry, dude.


I know this is a typo, but it is a wonderful typo, I think. Heresay, a combination of heresy and hearsay. Appropriate to the direction this thread has gone and so many other things. Neologism. Unconscious genius.


April 15th, 2011, 10:53 pm
Profile
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post Re: Racy Superbowl Ad Shot down by Fox.
That's what I get for never using a spell checker. :oops:

I actually meant to type "hearsay", and "heresy" never even entered my mind during that post, but it is funny now that you brought it up.

And speaking of typos, why do I get called out for making one once in a blue moon, while steensn often makes a dozen in a single post? :lol:

_________________
Image


April 17th, 2011, 8:48 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: Racy Superbowl Ad Shot down by Fox.
Don't look at me.. I'm the typo kind. Once work outlawed any internet browser page that didn't suck (I can only use IE now) I have no spell checker. I don't think I've every pointed on out because that would be like black pot with extra coats of black paint calling the the off white kettle black.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


April 17th, 2011, 3:44 pm
Profile
Junior Varsity

Joined: January 24th, 2006, 8:52 pm
Posts: 180
Location: Chicago
Post Re: Racy Superbowl Ad Shot down by Fox.
slybri19 wrote:
That's what I get for never using a spell checker. :oops:

I actually meant to type "hearsay", and "heresy" never even entered my mind during that post, but it is funny now that you brought it up.

And speaking of typos, why do I get called out for making one once in a blue moon, while steensn often makes a dozen in a single post? :lol:


Wasn't calling you out--myself, I'm a terrible typist--just thought it was a nice coincidence (plus I was into the cocktails a bit when I read it).

And OSU "graduates" can't help it.


April 17th, 2011, 9:30 pm
Profile
Varsity 1st Team
User avatar

Joined: August 9th, 2004, 1:51 am
Posts: 242
Location: kalamazoo,mi
Post Re: Racy Superbowl Ad Shot down by Fox.
Sly,
You need physical evidence.....I'm still walking around.
Don't know how that would happen without GOD. But then again that's just
my belief.



Frok

_________________
I feel more like I do now than when I first got here.


April 17th, 2011, 10:44 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: Racy Superbowl Ad Shot down by Fox.
I wouldn't tarnish OSU with my presence... I'm a University of Toledo grad... couldn't cut it at OSU.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


April 18th, 2011, 12:58 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.