View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 3:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Racy Superbowl Ad Shot down by Fox. 
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Racy Superbowl Ad Shot down by Fox.
steensn wrote:
Pablo wrote:
All I was looking for was the Biblical stance, which you provided. While I naturally value humans over, say insects, I believe in not harming animals whenever possible (and I eat meat and love it) - I was just trying to get a better understanding of their viewpoints. Givin the historical context of when the Bible was written, I'm not surprised by the outlook towards animals. While I don't agree with it, I must certainly thank God for creating all these wonderful and varied species, and Noah for preserving them through the great flood if that indeed is what happened.

As for pork, I love bacon, ham and ribs so I'm not going to question the yumminess. Give the big man some serious credit on that one.

That is good, this is usually where the disagreement breaks down, see above. You are aware that the conclusions are based on different axiums and discussion isn't who conclusions are correct but rather who's axiums are if we really wanted to discuss it and talk about "open mindedness."

Nice 'thinly veiled' shot there steensn.

The problem/issue I'm having with you and your stance is that IMO you're trying to have it both ways. You want me to see things from your side, however you refuse to see them from mine. THAT is why I am done with you and these discussions.

Peace brother

April 11th, 2011, 10:02 am
RIP Killer

No Wags, I'm not. I asking you to dig deeper into your view and speak to me at the base disagreement of viewpoints. Just because you refuse to do so doesn't take away from my open mindedness. This isn't like going around trying on different types of pants like you want it to be. I totally GET what your point of view is. I am making a difference between looking at something from another point of view to using that point of view as some basis for an idiotic disagreement arguing these upper level ideals when the ISSUE is the basic world view.

Call me not opne minded, but I'm taking the discussion to the issue, not silly "but you have to look at it from my view" nonsense. It is a total red herring to ask someone to be open minded trying on religous pants after religious pants when you cannot even agree on the type of clothing you want to try on. It's complete utter denial of the fact that this is a discussion much deeeper than what you want to make it.

I'm open to having you explain things from your side but you don't. You just attack Christianity and say "Well I don't believe that." If you want to put it in your perspective maybe you should try doing that sometime...

April 11th, 2011, 10:16 am
3rd Round Selection

That is the last time I dig up an old thread, lol....the hell did I start!

April 11th, 2011, 10:51 am
RIP Killer

Rob_Shadows wrote:

Gotta watch what you choose to point out as logically "flawed." You might be the one that is being a little short sighted ;) I refuse to let bad logic roll around in peoples minds on this subject. It only breeds nonsense that maybe someone has more issues with later. Maybe not a big deal to you now, but could be the starting point for someone else pursuaded by your comments. it is that important to me, the reason we are here, so I can't let it go.

Somehow that translates into me being closed minded, but whatever. I feel people just want to dumb it down so much that they refuse to address the real world view issue that is at the base of the discussion.

April 11th, 2011, 11:00 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Rob_Shadows wrote:

Since you don't often participate in the Off Topic discussions here, you probably didn't know that steensn is a religious zealot who could put most Muslim extremists to shame. I personally try to avoid these topics, but every now and then, I like to take a jab at him like this:

steensn wrote:
Somehow that translates into me being closed minded, but whatever.

Do you accept the possibility that there may not be a God? Until you are able to do so, your mind is closed to every alternative to your own beliefs. Whether you see it or not, you project that characteristic upon yourself during every one of these discussions, hence people viewing you as closed minded. Atleast I can openly admit that I'm closed minded, biased, and a hypocrite. :D

Disclaimer: I'm just trying to have a little fun at steensn's expense. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite pastimes. :lol:

April 11th, 2011, 9:55 pm
RIP Killer

Lol, Sly, you wish you could actually bother me. I think people READ emotion into post that just aren't there. I am simply explaining things with lots of words several ways to make my point which is not at all getting worked up like some crazy person you want to project on me. No worries on my end.

I'll put it this simple, from my studies of many religions and science I would put athiesm as my next step than ANY other belief. I can say I am more open minded to athiesm than any other belief probably by 2 or 3 times.

But here is the deal Sly, I cannot control yours or anyone elses need to take my attempts to get us to the world view discussion as the base problem as not being open minded. It is absolute nonsense to discuss the pro's and con's of the Bible or any other religious book if the basic assumptions we have about it are not the same. How can anyone discuss any topic without addressing the basic reason why there is disagreement? It is nonsense.

We don't do it in science, which people here claim to cherish and respect the process of, total farce. We aren't taught it in school. If you go to any logics course you'd be laughed out of the room by the prof for proposing these so called logical issues as a responce. Why is it that we alow nonsense and fake "open mindedness" to rule in religion? You cannot be open minded to ANY other belief is you are not first focused on the world view focusing you to a few options.

I cannot fathem why me pointing out the obvious somehow limits me at all or makes me an extremist. It's crazy and nonsensical jibber jabber. There is some crazy self consciousness when it comes to religion that everyone sees the others as the enemy and we put up crazy projections of who they are and their intent. If we cannot agree on what thruth is, how can we agree what religion is truth? That is obviously an issue that no one wants to address and instead call me an extremist...(I know Sly you were poking fun, but it was a thought by many if not all).

April 12th, 2011, 10:24 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

OH DEAR LORD! Steens is serious! He broke out with Mr. T!!

Quote:
nonsensical jibber jabber

He ain't playin ya'll!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

April 12th, 2011, 6:11 pm

steensn wrote:
How can anyone discuss any topic without addressing the basic reason why there is disagreement? It is nonsense.

We have gone down this path before and you have not adequately addressed it. My primary reason for not believing in God is because there is zero physical evidence. None. Nada. Zip. Show me one shread of proof that is not heresay or conjecture, and I'll re-examine the possibility of an invisible dude in the sky. But, until that happens, you are just as likely to convince me that monkeys are flying out of your butt. Sorry, dude.

April 13th, 2011, 11:09 pm
RIP Killer

I never claimed to prove he did exist. I just said the issue is THAT level, your world view, not what I believe or someone else believes. You don't have to remind me that I don't meet your world view requirements, though no matter how unrealstic thye may be. I have already conceeded it is a decision in the end based on faith, which by definition doesn't have any 100% certaintenty. You define your requirements for faith in something as the exact opposite of faith.

April 14th, 2011, 6:58 pm
Junior Varsity

slybri19 wrote:
We have gone down this path before and you have not adequately addressed it. My primary reason for not believing in God is because there is zero physical evidence. None. Nada. Zip. Show me one shread of proof that is not heresay or conjecture, and I'll re-examine the possibility of an invisible dude in the sky. But, until that happens, you are just as likely to convince me that monkeys are flying out of your butt. Sorry, dude.

I know this is a typo, but it is a wonderful typo, I think. Heresay, a combination of heresy and hearsay. Appropriate to the direction this thread has gone and so many other things. Neologism. Unconscious genius.

April 15th, 2011, 10:53 pm

That's what I get for never using a spell checker. :oops:

I actually meant to type "hearsay", and "heresy" never even entered my mind during that post, but it is funny now that you brought it up.

And speaking of typos, why do I get called out for making one once in a blue moon, while steensn often makes a dozen in a single post? :lol:

April 17th, 2011, 8:48 am
RIP Killer

Don't look at me.. I'm the typo kind. Once work outlawed any internet browser page that didn't suck (I can only use IE now) I have no spell checker. I don't think I've every pointed on out because that would be like black pot with extra coats of black paint calling the the off white kettle black.

April 17th, 2011, 3:44 pm
Junior Varsity

slybri19 wrote:
That's what I get for never using a spell checker. :oops:

I actually meant to type "hearsay", and "heresy" never even entered my mind during that post, but it is funny now that you brought it up.

And speaking of typos, why do I get called out for making one once in a blue moon, while steensn often makes a dozen in a single post? :lol:

Wasn't calling you out--myself, I'm a terrible typist--just thought it was a nice coincidence (plus I was into the cocktails a bit when I read it).

And OSU "graduates" can't help it.

April 17th, 2011, 9:30 pm
Varsity 1st Team

Sly,
You need physical evidence.....I'm still walking around.
Don't know how that would happen without GOD. But then again that's just
my belief.

Frok

April 17th, 2011, 10:44 pm
RIP Killer

I wouldn't tarnish OSU with my presence... I'm a University of Toledo grad... couldn't cut it at OSU.

April 18th, 2011, 12:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next