View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 12:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Wisconsin vs. the Unions 
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Post Re: Wisconsin vs. the Unions
Just to be clear, I don't have much of a problem with the private sector unions, but I do believe they have outlived their usefullness. I also believe that every state should have Right To Work laws so workers aren't forced to join the union if they don't want to. The union always stresses that they are out to protect the workers from the greedy and corrupt corporations, but who is protecting the workers from the greedy and corrupt unions? Right To Work laws could help change that.

Getting back to the public sector unions, the Progressive hero, FDR, was vehemently opposed to them. He understood that it would cause a conflict of interest. The problem is that management in the private sector must look out for the best interests of their shareholders during collective bargaining with the unions. In the public sector, the shareholders are the taxpayers, but who has their best interests at heart in this process? Who is truly representing them during collective bargaining? The answer is nobody. It's the primary reason why salaries and benefits for government workers have exploded over the years.

About a year and a half ago, a top lawyer for the NEA retired and gave a farewell address. In it, he said that it wasn't about the kids. It was about power. Here's a two minute clip of his comments:
http://blog.eyeblast.tv/2011/02/flashback-teachers-union-bigshot-not-about-kids-its-about-power/

That should tell you all you need to know about the public sector unions and why they need to be banned.

February 23rd, 2011, 9:53 pm

The Democrat Wisconsin State Senators who have fled the state to avoid voting have now been nicknamed the "Fleebaggers". And the Republicans have a new trick up their sleeves to get them to return to work. They are about to pass a law which would end direct deposit of any Senator's paycheck who has missed two consecutive legislative sessions. In order to receive their paychecks, the Senators would have to physically pick them up in the Capital Building while it is in session. Once that happens, the Sergeant at Arms could lock the doors to the Capital Building and the Senate would have a quorum of 20 in order to vote. I doubt the Fleebaggers will be able to hold out much longer. :lol:

February 24th, 2011, 10:17 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Quote:
So you are saying workers can't protect their own rights? Are workers forced to work for a particular company?

If I'm mistreated at work or don't feel it is a safe working environment, well lets just say I'm glad I don't have to rely on a union to protect me.

I exaggerated when I said unions are the only way to protect worker's rights.

But unions or the threat of unionization is a key factor in protecting the rights of labor. Unless you have highly specialized skills, there are always going to be way more workers than firms.

I don't think the government should be involved in any way--either pro or anti union. And I don't think anyone should be forced to join the union or anything like that.

February 25th, 2011, 6:48 am
RIP Killer

Unions are helpful when they are brought in for extrodinary circumstances and the workers don't have to give annual dues. Unionizing temporarily to correct a wrong is great, having long standing unions that run like an investement comapny has hurt America as a whole and the workers they claim to help.

February 25th, 2011, 11:01 am
RIP Killer

Article - Why I Changed My Mind About Unions

http://www.americanthinker.com/2011/02/ ... ut_un.html

February 25th, 2011, 7:12 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Team Captain

njroar wrote:
Its still amazing that the topic of collective bargaining getting removed is the issue being sold to the public. The collective bargaining on pensions and health benefits (paid for by tax dollars) is the only bargaining being removed here. They're not removing the right to bargain for other areas, only the areas that are the biggest drain on the state's budget. And its the same in every state. NJ is the exact same, and Christie just gave his budget speech today and he gave a huge incentive for the democratic led house to make major reforms here, but already protests are planned. Because of the tough stance he took with the unions last year, he was able to increase school funding by $200 million this year.. Go figure. Make the tough choices now and you can compensate later if the money is available.

He keeps saying he's not running, and honestly I think there's still a long way to go in NJ, so I don't want him to run, but he might just be the best candidate in 2012. He's the only one with at least a year of taking on the unions head-on, and showed results in just the first year.

NJ -I love Christie, he is the one guy that when I hear him talk about issues, his plans are really common sense. He is a refreshing politician and I would vote for him in a heart beat. He's says that he's not ready to run, but the minute he decides to do it - I'm all in!

February 26th, 2011, 9:05 am

There are a couple of things in the Wisconsin budget bill that aren't being discussed much by either side.

First, the bill mandates that the government will no longer deduct union dues from their employee's paychecks. It will become the union's responsibility to collect those dues. I wonder how many union workers will refuse to pay them if this happens? I also wonder how many of them will begin to question how much they are actually paying their union masters when they have to write a check every week instead of having it automatically deducted. Furthermore, why are the taxpayers footing the bill to collect union dues in the first place?

Second, the bill will force the unions to hold annual votes to remain organized. In order to remain represented by the unions, a majority of all workers, not only those voting, must decide to do so. This will lead to some unions being cast aside by their members.

Is this union busting in an indirect sort of way? I say "yes", but how come you don't hear the unions screaming about it? I suppose it's because it's hard to justify the Wisconsin taxpayers having to pay for the collection of union dues or the forcing of their members to have to pay them in the first place. Also, how can they claim to be for democracy when they are against their members voting whether they wish to remain organized or not? It's a Catch-22 for the unions and they know it.

February 26th, 2011, 6:34 pm

Sorry, but I can't resist:

Wisconsin Protester Photo Of The Day

March 1st, 2011, 12:55 am
QB Coach

Perfect picture of a Union sympathizer. The only thing missing is the pictures of all those "UNION" folks who left the Big 3 plant in Detroit to smoke weed and drink in the park on their break. That's why Union's have a bad name now, because of crap like that. If they weren't so freakin greedy, vehicles weren't so crappy, and the "rent is too damn high" for vehicles, I could see the argument for Unions. But making a fat cat give up some of his goodies in order that States don't fail economically, doesn't seem too much to ask to me.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

March 1st, 2011, 9:48 am
RIP Killer

DevilDoc wrote:
Perfect picture of a Union sympathizer. The only thing missing is the pictures of all those "UNION" folks who left the Big 3 plant in Detroit to smoke weed and drink in the park on their break. That's why Union's have a bad name now, because of crap like that. If they weren't so freakin greedy, vehicles weren't so crappy, and the "rent is too damn high" for vehicles, I could see the argument for Unions. But making a fat cat give up some of his goodies in order that States don't fail economically, doesn't seem too much to ask to me.

Unions as a whole should have a bad name, but as individuals union workers should not. It would be akin to listening to Charlie Sheen's latest maniacal diatribes, and saying that "all actors are insane and self-serving". Most, of course, are not.

I deal with assembly plants and workers quite often. Most of the workers are there to do their jobs, take pride in what they accomplish, and want to be treated fairly in return. Most of them acknowledge that they are extremely well paid, and that the Union needs to cooperate with companies to ensure their future livelihood. The union workers who most often take on that militant mentality, at least that I've found, are older guys who are used to that confrontational mentality. Also, you get the retirees from the unions who get that "screw 'em" mentality because they aren't willing to pay an extra few dollars for their medicines, claiming that their years in the plant are what caused their ailments. Bullshit. You're old, you chose NOT to take care of yourself, and you could have quit that job any time you wanted. Again, not all retirees take that stance, but I think the majority of the union militants come from the older ranks, and not the younger workers.

March 2nd, 2011, 1:34 pm

Speaking of conflicts of interest:
Big Government wrote:
Wisconsin Union Has Its Claws Deep in State Governmentby Kyle Olson

In the ongoing battle between public employees and taxpayers, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker has cited WEA Trust, a company that specializes in providing health insurance to unionized school employees, as the number one reason why collective bargaining must be reformed.

As Education Action Group pointed out last year, WEA Trust is controlled by the Wisconsin Education Association Council – WEAC – the state’s largest teachers union. EAG produced an in-depth report revealing how the teacher unions use the collective bargaining process to demand that WEA Trust be used as their health insurance provider. WEA Trust is typically the most expensive insurance on the market, but no matter. The union’s insurance company gets a fat contract, and the taxpayers are left with the bill. It’s a clever scheme, that’s for sure.

Even more evidence of the cozy relationship between WEAC, WEA Trust and Wisconsin politicians (especially Democrats), can be found in the 2009 election of Tony Evers as Wisconsin’s state superintendent.

For whatever reason, Wisconsin doesn’t hold its state superintendent election with all the others. Instead, it is held in the quarter following a presidential election, when most voters aren’t paying any attention. Such off-off-year elections are prime opportunities for the special interests to come out and play. So when the election for the state superintendent post was held in spring 2009, the special interests did some serious playing.

According to the left-leaning Wisconsin Democracy Campaign, Evers spent $228,419 on his campaign. In contrast, WEAC spent a whopping $564,993 — nearly two and a half times what Evers spent.

Bless their hearts – it must be that the union cares so much about the welfare of students, right?

But a curious thing happened about a year later: Evers gave his “Friend of Education” award to – wait for it, wait for it – WEA Trust!

Was Evers attempting to insulate WEA Trust from the fight that was coming down the road? Or was the award Evers’ way of thanking his biggest campaign supporter? Whatever the reason, nonsense like that has the effect of destroying the taxpayers’ faith in their government.

Gov. Walker has said publicly that if Wisconsin school districts could move away from WEA Trust, they could save upwards of $68 million a year. That would certainly help fill the $3.6 billion budget gap.

So who is looking out for taxpayers? Scott Walker or Tony Evers? And who is the real “Friend of Education?” Scott Walker or WEA Trust? I guess it depends on what the intent of the system is: to educate children or to keep the adults happy.

http://biggovernment.com/kolson/2011/03/02/wisconsin-union-has-its-claws-deep-in-state-government/

So let me get this straight. The teacher unions demand that they get their health insurance from WEA Trust, which is owned by the teacher unions. It also happens to be one of the most expensive health insurance plans in the state. What kind of a scam is this?

March 2nd, 2011, 9:43 pm
QB Coach

I thought this was interesting, to say the least.
[url]http://jaypgreene.com/2011/03/05/iowahawk-demolishes-krugman/[url]

Krugman is such an asshat

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

March 5th, 2011, 5:57 pm

HAHAHA! The Wisconsin DemonRats fled the state for nothing afterall:
State-controlled AP wrote:
Mar 9, 8:16 PM EST

Wis. GOP strips public workers' bargaining rights

By SCOTT BAUER
Associated Press

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Republicans in the Wisconsin Senate voted Wednesday night to strip nearly all collective bargaining rights from public workers after discovering a way to bypass the chamber's missing Democrats.

All 14 Senate Democrats fled to Illinois nearly three weeks ago, preventing the chamber from having enough members present to consider Gov. Scott Walker's so-called "budget repair bill" - a proposal introduced to plug a $137 million budget shortfall.

The Senate requires a quorum to take up any measures that spend money. But Republicans on Wednesday split from the legislation the proposal to curtail union rights, which spends no money, and a special conference committee of state lawmakers approved the bill a short time later.

The lone Democrat present on the conference committee, Rep. Peter Barca, shouted that the surprise meeting was a violation of the state's open meetings law but Republicans voted over his objections. The Senate convened within minutes and passed the measure without discussion or debate.

Before the sudden votes, Democratic Sen. Bob Jauch said if Republicans "chose to ram this bill through in this fashion, it will be to their political peril. They're changing the rules. They will inflame a very frustrated public."

Walker said after the votes that Senate Democrats had plenty of opportunities to come home.

"I applaud the Legislature's action today to stand up to the status quo and take a step in the right direction to balance the budget and reform government," the governor said in a statement.

Walker's proposal has touched off a national debate over union rights and prompted tens of thousands of demonstrators to converge on Wisconsin's capital for weeks of protests. Spectators in the gallery Wednesday night screamed "You are cowards" as the Senate voted.

"In 30 minutes, 18 state Senators undid 50 years of civil rights in Wisconsin. Their disrespect for the people of Wisconsin and their rights is an outrage that will never be forgotten," said Democratic Senate Minority Leader Mark Miller. "Tonight, 18 Senate Republicans conspired to take government away from the people. Tomorrow we will join the people of Wisconsin in taking back their government."

The drama unfolded less than four hours after Walker met with GOP senators in a closed-door meeting. He emerged from the meeting saying senators were "firm" in their support of the bill.

Democrats had been calling all day Wednesday for Walker and Republicans to compromise.

Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald said earlier that Republicans had been discussing concessions Walker's office had offered, including allowing public workers to bargain over their salaries without a wage limit. Several GOP senators facing recall efforts had publicly called for compromise.

Union leaders weren't happy with the concessions, and Democrats had not signed off on them.

While talks had been going on sporadically behind the scenes, Republicans in the Senate also had publicly tried to ratchet the pressure on Democrats to return. They had agreed earlier Wednesday to start fining Democrats $100 for each day legislative session day they miss.

Walker's stalled bill was introduced to help plug a $137 million budget shortfall projected by the end of June. He has said that without the collective bargaining bill, he may have to lay off 1,500 state workers and make other cuts to balance the budget.

On Wednesday, the nonpartisan Legislative Fiscal Bureau offered a way to salvage $165 million in debt by refinancing savings. It had said the bill could pass as late as early April if other accounting moves were done by Walker's administration to extend the debt refinancing deadline by a month.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_WISCONSIN_BUDGET_UNIONS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-03-09-19-32-37

March 9th, 2011, 9:24 pm
That's awesome. It may cost him in the end, as there really are a lot of people that are mad about this, but I think when the contents of the bill, what is precluded from bargaining, and the results of the bill take hold, I think people will open their eyes and see that this bill is a good thing.

March 9th, 2011, 9:38 pm

I thought the Tea Party were supposed to be the violent ones:
jsonline wrote:
Justice Department investigating death threats against Republican senators, representatives
By Mike Johnson and Jason Stein
Updated: March 10, 2011 3:32 p.m.

Madison --Seventeen Republican Senators in addition to Republican Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald received the email threat that stated they should put their "things in order because you will be killed and your families also will be killed."

The email, which in the subject said "Atten: Death threat!!!! Bomb!!!!," was sent at 9:18 p.m. Wednesday, after the Senate, with Democrats absent, voted to eliminate most collective bargaining provisions for most public workers.

In addition, all of the Assembly Republicans, including Speaker Jeff Fitzgerald, received an email death threat about 10:30 Wednesday night, said John Jagler, a spokesman for Jeff Fitzgerald. That email stated "Vote no and save your life."

Jagler said the threat talked about shooting the representative and planting bombs in places he frequented.

The state's Division of Criminal Investigation is investigating the email threat against the senators and several other threats from a variety of sources, said Bill Cosh, a spokesman for the Department of Justice.

Cosh said Thursday he was not at liberty to say anything more about the threats and investigation.

Andrew Welhouse, a spokesman for Scott Fitzgerald, said the email threat was turned over to Capitol Police, who also are investigating.

The senators who received the email death threat are Fitzgerald of Juneau,Robert Cowles of Green Bay, Alberta Darling of River Hills, Michael Ellis of Neenah, Pam Galloway of Wausau, Glenn Grothman of West Bend, Sheila Harsdorf of River Falls, Randy Hopper of Fond du Lac, Neal Kedzie of Elkhorn, Frank Lasee of De Pere, Dan Kapanke of La Crosse, Mary Lazich of New Berlin, Joe Liebham of Sheboygan, Terry Moulton of Chippewa Falls, Luther Olsen of Ripon, Leah Vukmir of Wauwatosa, Van Wanggaard of Racine and Rich Zipperer of the City of Pewaukee.

Kapanke also received a separate "disturbing" email that threatened his life on Wednesday night after the vote, a staff member said.

The aide said Capitol Police and La Crosse police were immediately notified.

Tim Donovan, a spokesman for the Department of Administration and Capitol Police, had no immediate comment Thursday morning.

Welhouse on Thursday provided to the Journal Sentinel a copy of the text of the e-mail, but would not provide the email address or name of the sender.

“We have received several more threats over the past few weeks as well, and protesters have actually gone so far as to go up to (Fitzgerald's) house and bang on the windows at 6 a.m. demanding that he come out,” Welhouse said.

Here’s an excerpt of the email provided by Welhouse:

“This is how it's going to happen: I as well as many others know where you and your family live, it's a matter of public records. We have all planned to assault (sic) you by arriving at your house and putting a nice little bullet in your head. However, this isn't enough. We also have decided that this may not be enough to send the message. So we have built several bombs that we have placed in various locations around the areas in which we know that you frequent…"

The threat against Kapanke stated:

"We will hunt you down. We will slit your throats. We will drink your blood. I will have your decapitated head on a pike in the Madison town square. This is your last warning."

Kapanke's aide also would not provide the emailer's address or name. The email was referred to Capitol Police, who are investigating, the aide said.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/117738098.html

I find it funny whenever libtards threaten violence like this since they forget one very important fact: My side has more guns! :D

XXbazooka.gif new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif qleft1.gif qleft6.gif qleft4.gif

March 10th, 2011, 9:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next