View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 3:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Tsunami Hits Japan After Massive Earthquake.... 
Modmin Dude

Post Tsunami Hits Japan After Massive Earthquake....
Thoughts and prayers to those effected.

Quote:
Tsunami Hits Japan After Massive Earthquake, Evacuations in Hawaii, West Coast

TOKYO -- A powerful tsunami spawned by the largest earthquake in Japan's recorded history slammed the eastern coast Friday, sweeping away boats, cars, homes and people as widespread fires burned out of control. Tsunami warnings blanketed the entire Pacific, as far away as South America, Canada, Alaska and the entire U.S. West Coast.

Authorities said at least 44 people were killed. The magnitude 8.9 offshore quake was followed by at least 19 aftershocks, most of them of more than magnitude 6.0. Dozens of cities and villages along a 1,300-mile stretch of coastline were shaken by violent tremors that reached as far away as Tokyo, hundreds of miles from the epicenter.

Breaking News Tsunami Hits Japan After Massive Earthquake, Evacuations in Hawaii, West Coast
Culture
March 11, 2011

Tsunami Hits Japan After Massive Earthquake, Evacuations in Hawaii, West Coast
Fire it up 3
46 Share

Published March 11, 2011 | Associated Press

TOKYO -- A powerful tsunami spawned by the largest earthquake in Japan's recorded history slammed the eastern coast Friday, sweeping away boats, cars, homes and people as widespread fires burned out of control. Tsunami warnings blanketed the entire Pacific, as far away as South America, Canada, Alaska and the entire U.S. West Coast.

Authorities said at least 44 people were killed. The magnitude 8.9 offshore quake was followed by at least 19 aftershocks, most of them of more than magnitude 6.0. Dozens of cities and villages along a 1,300-mile stretch of coastline were shaken by violent tremors that reached as far away as Tokyo, hundreds of miles from the epicenter.

A utility company in northeastern Japan reported a fire in a turbine building of nuclear power plant.

"The earthquake has caused major damage in broad areas in northern Japan," Prime Minister Naoto Kan said at a news conference.

Even for a country used to earthquakes, this one was of horrific proportions. It unleashed a 23-foot tsunami that swept boats, cars, buildings and tons of debris miles inland.

Large fishing boats and other sea vessels rode high waves into the cities, slamming against overpasses. Upturned and partially submerged vehicles were seen bobbing in the water.

Waves of muddy waters swept over farmland near the city of Sendai, carrying buildings, some on fire, inland as cars attempted to drive away. Sendai airport, north of Tokyo, was inundated with cars, trucks, buses and thick mud deposited over its runways. Fires spread through a section of the city, public broadcaster NHK reported.

The tsunami roared over embankments, washing anything in its path inland before reversing directions and carrying the cars, homes and other debris out to sea. Flames shot from some of the houses, probably because of burst gas pipes.

"Our initial assessment indicates that there has already been enormous damage," Chief government spokesman Yukio Edano said. "We will make maximum relief effort based on that assessment."

He said the Defense Ministry was sending troops to the quake-hit region. A utility aircraft and several helicopters were on the way.

http://nation.foxnews.com/culture/2011/ ... est-coast#

March 11th, 2011, 9:08 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Tsunami Hits Japan After Massive Earthquake....
1-3 foot waves coming to my area in about 30 minutes.

March 11th, 2011, 11:33 am
RIP Killer

8.9 - that is a huge earthquake (I believe Hati was a 7.0), we can only hope for limited human casualties.

March 11th, 2011, 11:48 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

steensn wrote:
1-3 foot waves coming to my area in about 30 minutes.

From what I've been seeing/hearing, pretty much the entire West Coast could get hit.

March 11th, 2011, 11:55 am
RIP Killer

Yeah, starting north and heading south the whole coast is going to get some small waves.

The quake was the largest recorded in Japan's history, that is a freaking heck of a quack.

March 11th, 2011, 12:00 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

There's already been 80 after shocks greater than 5.0. Hopefully another big one doesn't hit.

I almost had to laugh when you said 1-3 feet waves... That's low for a windy day, but I guess if you're 20 miles inland that would be a problem lol.

March 11th, 2011, 12:21 pm
RIP Killer

Yeah, we just got back (I work on a bluff overlooking the ocean) and w couldn't tell a difference between the regular waves and the Tsunami.

March 11th, 2011, 12:40 pm
Hall of Fame Player

steensn wrote:
Yeah, we just got back (I work on a bluff overlooking the ocean) and w couldn't tell a difference between the regular waves and the Tsunami.

Fortunately you got the small waves.

March 11th, 2011, 12:51 pm
Hall of Fame Player

The following was an article from Space Dot Com a couple of days ago. It appears that the Earthquakes have already started from this cosmic event. And since this event doesn't peak for another 8 days, things will only get worse. Keep an eye on the ring of fire for the next week. If you live on a fault line, ie: the San Andreas, I would consider a vacation well inland.

Quote:
Will March 19 'Supermoon' Trigger Natural Disasters?

On March 19, the moon will swing around Earth more closely than it has in the past 18 years, lighting up the night sky from just 221,567 miles (356,577 kilometers) away. On top of that, it will be full. And one astrologer believes it could inflict massive damage on the planet.

Richard Nolle, a noted astrologer who runs the website astropro.com, has famously termed the upcoming full moon at lunar perigee (the closest approach during its orbit) an "extreme supermoon."

When the moon goes super-extreme, Nolle says, chaos will ensue: Huge storms, earthquakes, volcanoes and other natural disasters can be expected to wreak havoc on Earth. (It should be noted that astrology is not a real science, but merely makes connections between astronomical and mystical events.)

But do we really need to start stocking survival shelters in preparation for the supermoon?

The question is not actually so crazy. In fact scientists have studied related scenarios for decades. Even under normal conditions, the moon is close enough to Earth to make its weighty presence felt: It causes the ebb and flow of the ocean tides.

The moon's gravity can even cause small but measureable ebbs and flows in the continents, called "land tides" or "solid Earth tides," too. The tides are greatest during full and new moons, when the sun and moon are aligned either on the same or opposite sides of the Earth.

According to John Vidale, a seismologist at the University of Washington in Seattle and director of the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network, particularly dramatic land and ocean tides do trigger earthquakes. "Both the moon and sun do stress the Earth a tiny bit, and when we look hard we can see a very small increase in tectonic activity when they're aligned," Vidale told Life's Little Mysteries, a sister site to SPACE.com.

At times of full and new moons, "you see a less-than-1-percent increase in earthquake activity, and a slightly higher response in volcanoes."

The effect of tides on seismic activity is greatest in subduction zones such as the Pacific Northwest, where one tectonic plate is sliding under another. William Wilcock, another seismologist at the University of Washington, explained: "When you have a low tide, there's less water, so the pressure on the seafloor is smaller. That pressure is clamping the fault together, so when it's not there, it makes it easier for the fault to slip."

According to Wilcock, earthquake activity in subduction zones at low tides is 10 percent higher than at other times of the day, but he hasn't observed any correlations between earthquake activity and especially low tides at new and full moons. Vidale has observed only a very small correlation.

What about during a lunar perigee? Can we expect more earthquakes and volcanic eruptions on March 19, when the full moon will be so close?

The moon's gravitational pull at lunarperigee, the scientists say, is not different enough from its pull at other times to significantly change the height of the tides and thus the likelihood of natural disasters. [Infographic: Phases of the Moon Explained]

"A lot of studies have been done on this kind of thing by USGS scientists and others," John Bellini, a geophysicist at the U.S. Geological Survey, told Life's Little Mysteries. "They haven't found anything significant at all."

Vidale concurred. "Practically speaking, you'll never see any effect of lunar perigee," he said. "It's somewhere between 'It has no effect' and 'It's so small you don't see any effect.'"

The bottom line is, the upcoming supermoon won't cause a preponderance of earthquakes, although the idea isn't a crazy one.

"Earthquakes don't respond as much to the tides as you'd think they would. There should actually be more of an effect," said Vidale.

Most natural disasters have nothing to do with the moon at all. The Earth has a lot of pent up energy, and it releases it anytime the buildup gets too great. The supermoon probably won't push it past the tipping point, but we'll know for sure, one way or the other, by March 20.

This story was provided by Life's Little Mysteries, a sister site of SPACE.com.

March 11th, 2011, 1:01 pm
RIP Killer

Some of us going inland is CLOSER to the fault line ;)

Hope your wrong!

March 11th, 2011, 1:18 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Actually, the people most in danger of a Super moon related Earthquake in the United States, might just be people who live in and around St. Louis, MO.

Some of the worst Earthquakes in US history came from the New Madrid Fault. A Major Earthquake there could result in the Mississippi River changing course. It has changed course slightly in the past.

March 11th, 2011, 1:54 pm
RIP Killer

No one is safe then!

March 11th, 2011, 2:01 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
Actually, the people most in danger of a Super moon related Earthquake in the United States, might just be people who live in and around St. Louis, MO.

Some of the worst Earthquakes in US history came from the New Madrid Fault. A Major Earthquake there could result in the Mississippi River changing course. It has changed course slightly in the past.

If I'm not mistaken, one of the earthquakes in that area actually caused the Mississippi River to reverse its course for a while.

I think the bigger concern would be something happening at Yellowstone. If that magma chamber ever decided to unload, the entire Eastern United States would fall under a cloud and experience a mini-Ice Age.

March 11th, 2011, 3:08 pm
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, one of the earthquakes in that area actually caused the Mississippi River to reverse its course for a while.

I think the bigger concern would be something happening at Yellowstone. If that magma chamber ever decided to unload, the entire Eastern United States would fall under a cloud and experience a mini-Ice Age.

No where is any safer than the others. Everything is always on the brink of global and local catastrophies...

March 11th, 2011, 3:11 pm
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Yep, I have heard about that also. And I forgot about it until you mentioned it. Yellowstone is the biggest volcano on Earth. You just can't see it. LOL. ( Biggest as in wide, not high.)

March 11th, 2011, 3:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next