View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 21st, 2014, 12:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Tsunami Hits Japan After Massive Earthquake.... 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Tsunami Hits Japan After Massive Earthquake....
And while all this devastation is going on, where is our President? Playing Golf, filling out his NCAA Brackets, Flying off to Rio.

We have an absentee, puppet President that has no clue how to lead. He is letting all his understudies do all the leading. So, why do we even need him? He is an incompetent boob. And because he is so incompetent, we are going to end up electing Donald Trump as our next President.

March 18th, 2011, 10:20 am
RIP Killer

Only to tick of Sly ;)

http://powerofwind.tumblr.com/post/3926 ... al-by-fire

Earthquake, NO PROBLEM!

Quote:
I’ve been directly corresponding with Yoshinori Ueda leader of the International Committee of the Japan Wind Power Association & Japan Wind Energy Association, and according to Ueda there has been no wind damage reported by any association members, from either the earthquake or the tsunami. Even the Kamisu semi-offshore wind farm, located about 300km from the epicenter of the quake, survived. Its anti-earthquake “battle proof design” came through with flying colors.

Mr. Ueda confirms that most Japanese wind turbines are fully operational. Indeed, he says that electric companies have asked wind farm owners to step up operations as much as possible in order to make up for shortages in the eastern part of the country:

March 18th, 2011, 12:53 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
Only to tick of Sly ;)

Earthquake, NO PROBLEM!

Quote:
I’ve been directly corresponding with Yoshinori Ueda leader of the International Committee of the Japan Wind Power Association & Japan Wind Energy Association, and according to Ueda there has been no wind damage reported by any association members, from either the earthquake or the tsunami. Even the Kamisu semi-offshore wind farm, located about 300km from the epicenter of the quake, survived. Its anti-earthquake “battle proof design” came through with flying colors.

Mr. Ueda confirms that most Japanese wind turbines are fully operational. Indeed, he says that electric companies have asked wind farm owners to step up operations as much as possible in order to make up for shortages in the eastern part of the country:

OK.....so how exactly do wind farmers step up operations? Wave hand fans at their turbines? Fart towards the turbine blades? How is that done?

March 19th, 2011, 9:58 pm
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
steensn wrote:
Only to tick of Sly ;)

Earthquake, NO PROBLEM!

Quote:

OK.....so how exactly do wind farmers step up operations? Wave hand fans at their turbines? Fart towards the turbine blades? How is that done?

Just a guess. Build more?

March 20th, 2011, 8:37 am
RIP Killer

Fix the few that were damaged during the quake and get to full capacity. Unless the radioactive material leaking from their generators... oh wait...

March 20th, 2011, 9:28 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

What if the winds are calm? Does M2K have to squat in front of them with a bowl of beans or something? Don't get me wrong, I'm not against wind or solar energy, but I just don't see them as stand-alone (or economically feasible) options right now. When the winds are calm or the skies are overcast, as well as at night, wind or solar needs alternative sources of energy to keep the grid functional. Eventually, the technology to store excess energy at a decent capacity may be there, but it isn't now. This is a realization that even Europe is coming to and has stated that everyone might not have power at all times in the near future because of it. Just imagine the horror in the Steensn household if the power went out just as Dancing With The Stars was beginning. :lol:

March 21st, 2011, 11:30 pm
RIP Killer

No one is saying they are stand alone, not even the manufacturers. But they should be a large %. I don;t know why everyone brings up a point no one is making... I wish it were oinly Sly, then I would understand the endless loops of not getting it... but so many people make an argument that doesn't even exist.

March 22nd, 2011, 9:50 am
Player of the Year - Defense

But they want wind and solar as the only means of power. They don't want nuclear, they don't want coal, they don't want oil.... what's left? Ethanol that costs more than oil? You're just swapping the subsidies from the oil companies to the agricultural companies but at a higher cost. You'd think the left would be in favor of coal with the amount of union jobs it creates, and just force cleaner technology. But that's the conundrum... the more technological the coal plants get, the less workers they need.

Honestly the only problem with the newer nuclear power plant designs is that they didn't build them with self-sustained power generators. Use the nuclear power to power itself in the case of power loss. The plants in Japan withstood an 8.9 earthquake. They withstood a huge tsunami. They didn't withstand the loss of outside power due to the tsunami.

March 22nd, 2011, 11:27 am
RIP Killer

Who wants wind and solar as the only means of power? Environmentalist? Anyone who has any understanding of power plants and the types would NEVER say we shold do all wind and all solar unless a cost effective energy storage system came out (which is not foreseable in the future). We can handle around 40-50% of our power source from wind or solar. Anything past that and we risk our ability to produce power in certain situations.

We should use natural gas and nuclear as the other 50-60% as they provide good backbone type power production. We should have several large nuclear plants reasonably close to large cities spread out across the country as well as large natural gas plants at a higher % than nuclear. Then you will always need peak gas plants in different areas.

We should live out the life of our current coal plants, replace them with wind, nuclear, and gas, then sell our coal to other countries so we can get some incoming cash.

Power production is like investements, you speread out and have a portfolio for different uses. Using all of one will never make sense, so we should utilize what they do best. Nuclear is NOT cheap, but it is reliable and a great backbone base load type system. Gas is cheap, semi reliable, but not fast active and cannot stabalize teh grid during events. Wind is cheap, reliable, fast acting, but is not consistent because of the energy source.

No one who knows anything about power would say to utilize only one source. America allows idiots to say whatever they want, you have to pick through the nonsense and who actually can make statements worth caring about. I question the "they" you talk about.

March 22nd, 2011, 11:43 am
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
The following was an article from Space Dot Com a couple of days ago. It appears that the Earthquakes have already started from this cosmic event. And since this event doesn't peak for another 8 days, things will only get worse. Keep an eye on the ring of fire for the next week. If you live on a fault line, ie: the San Andreas, I would consider a vacation well inland.

Quote:
Will March 19 'Supermoon' Trigger Natural Disasters?

On March 19, the moon will swing around Earth more closely than it has in the past 18 years, lighting up the night sky from just 221,567 miles (356,577 kilometers) away. On top of that, it will be full. And one astrologer believes it could inflict massive damage on the planet.

Richard Nolle, a noted astrologer who runs the website astropro.com, has famously termed the upcoming full moon at lunar perigee (the closest approach during its orbit) an "extreme supermoon."

When the moon goes super-extreme, Nolle says, chaos will ensue: Huge storms, earthquakes, volcanoes and other natural disasters can be expected to wreak havoc on Earth. (It should be noted that astrology is not a real science, but merely makes connections between astronomical and mystical events.)

But do we really need to start stocking survival shelters in preparation for the supermoon?

The question is not actually so crazy. In fact scientists have studied related scenarios for decades. Even under normal conditions, the moon is close enough to Earth to make its weighty presence felt: It causes the ebb and flow of the ocean tides.

The moon's gravity can even cause small but measureable ebbs and flows in the continents, called "land tides" or "solid Earth tides," too. The tides are greatest during full and new moons, when the sun and moon are aligned either on the same or opposite sides of the Earth.

According to John Vidale, a seismologist at the University of Washington in Seattle and director of the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network, particularly dramatic land and ocean tides do trigger earthquakes. "Both the moon and sun do stress the Earth a tiny bit, and when we look hard we can see a very small increase in tectonic activity when they're aligned," Vidale told Life's Little Mysteries, a sister site to SPACE.com.

At times of full and new moons, "you see a less-than-1-percent increase in earthquake activity, and a slightly higher response in volcanoes."

The effect of tides on seismic activity is greatest in subduction zones such as the Pacific Northwest, where one tectonic plate is sliding under another. William Wilcock, another seismologist at the University of Washington, explained: "When you have a low tide, there's less water, so the pressure on the seafloor is smaller. That pressure is clamping the fault together, so when it's not there, it makes it easier for the fault to slip."

According to Wilcock, earthquake activity in subduction zones at low tides is 10 percent higher than at other times of the day, but he hasn't observed any correlations between earthquake activity and especially low tides at new and full moons. Vidale has observed only a very small correlation.

What about during a lunar perigee? Can we expect more earthquakes and volcanic eruptions on March 19, when the full moon will be so close?

The moon's gravitational pull at lunarperigee, the scientists say, is not different enough from its pull at other times to significantly change the height of the tides and thus the likelihood of natural disasters. [Infographic: Phases of the Moon Explained]

"A lot of studies have been done on this kind of thing by USGS scientists and others," John Bellini, a geophysicist at the U.S. Geological Survey, told Life's Little Mysteries. "They haven't found anything significant at all."

Vidale concurred. "Practically speaking, you'll never see any effect of lunar perigee," he said. "It's somewhere between 'It has no effect' and 'It's so small you don't see any effect.'"

The bottom line is, the upcoming supermoon won't cause a preponderance of earthquakes, although the idea isn't a crazy one.

"Earthquakes don't respond as much to the tides as you'd think they would. There should actually be more of an effect," said Vidale.

Most natural disasters have nothing to do with the moon at all. The Earth has a lot of pent up energy, and it releases it anytime the buildup gets too great. The supermoon probably won't push it past the tipping point, but we'll know for sure, one way or the other, by March 20.

This story was provided by Life's Little Mysteries, a sister site of SPACE.com.

Come and gone...

March 24th, 2011, 12:40 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I hate to derail this thread even further, but......
Human Events wrote:
Painful Lessons for Wind Power
by Brian Sussman

03/24/2011

Wind energy took another blow—this time in Massachusetts.

Wind One is the 400-foot-tall wind turbine owned by the town of Falmouth, on the southwestern tip of Cape Cod. The residents of Falmouth initially welcomed Wind One as a symbol of green energy and a handy way to keep local taxes down. Electricity generated by the turbine would be used to power the municipality’s infrastructure, thus shaving about $400,000 a year off its utility costs.

Installed in the spring of 2010 at a cost of $5.1 million (with some $3 million derived through grants, government kickbacks, and credits), the huge turbine cranks out 1.65 megawatts of electricity during optimum conditions.

The topography of Falmouth is stunningly beautiful. Small ponds, creeks, pines, and oaks rest adjacent to the rocky beachfront. What’s totally out of place is a monstrous pillar of white steel rising from the countryside, topped with its whirling three-bladed rotor. However, proving that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, one local told a Public Radio reporter the turbine is “quite majestic.”

But as soon as her majesty was switched on, residents began to complain—Wind One was as loud as an old Soviet helicopter.

Neil Anderson lives a quarter of a mile from the turbine. He’s an avid supporter of alternative energy, having owned and operated a passive solar company on Cape Cod for the past 25 years. “It is dangerous,” he told WGBH in Boston. “Headaches. Loss of sleep. And the ringing in my ears never goes away. I could look at it all day, and it does not bother me … but it’s way too close.”

Tired of the constant chopping sound, pained residents decided to lawyer up. This month a deal was struck with the town to disengage the turbine when winds exceed 23 miles an hour. This is problematic because giant windmills such as Wind One operate at optimum efficiency at about 30 miles an hour.

So now Falmouth’s investment has taken a hit. According to Gerald Potamis, who runs the wastewater facility, shutting off the turbine during higher winds will cost the town $173,000 in annual revenue, because now they’ll have to rely more on natural gas.

Truth is, wind turbines have always suffered from the NIMBY—not in my backyard—syndrome. Look no further than the largest concentration of wind turbines in the world, constructed in the 1970s just east of the San Francisco Bay. Some 4,500 windmills are ensconced atop 50,000 acres of grassy hills, generating a modest 576 megawatts of power. Officially known as the Altamont Pass Wind Resource Area, one would suppose the wind farm is an icon of greenness. But instead, Altamont Pass is the poster girl of eco-infighting.

Ever since the multitude of windmills was installed, a significant increase in the numbers of dead birds has been reported. Activists immediately went ballistic, demanding action. Over the decades, lawsuits have been filed and millions of dollars spent procuring studies to track the bird body count in an effort to determine how to address the problem.

In 2008, a two-year, taxpayer-funded examination of the problem was conducted by the Altamont Pass Avian Monitoring Team. During the study period, the monitoring team determined that 8,247 birds were wacked dead by the turbine blades.

In 2010, a settlement was finally reached between the Audubon Society, Californians for Renewable Energy, and the company running the wind farm, NextEra Energy. Nearly half of the smaller turbines will now be replaced by newer, more bird-friendly models. The project is expected to be complete by 2015 and includes $2.5 million for raptor habitat restoration, all of which is expected to increase the price of energy being supplied to the grid by this portrait of green power.

Painful to the ears, and especially painful to the birds, the painful lesson environmentalists need to learn is that the answer to America’s growing energy needs is not blowing in the wind.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=42473

When I brought up the dead bird thing to Steensn in another thread a while back, he denied it, but I keep reading more and more about wind turbines killing birds, especially raptors. But to be fair, I don't give a crap about the birds since I would just as soon shoot one and eat it than anything else. I'm just saying..... :D

March 26th, 2011, 10:55 am
RIP Killer

I didn't say they didn't kill birds, I said it is special cases. We deal with it all the time when we put up wind sites. There are studies done to check that....

When I said it wasn't a "problem" what I said was that more birds die from running into sky scrapers each year than die from wind turbines. If we are ok with one set of deaths and not the other, what is the point? I have birds fly into my windows and die all the time. Where are the conservationist there? "Not a problem" doesn't mean birds don't die, it means that compared to other things no one seems to care about, it isn't any worse or better. But wince we aren't consistent as humans, we are lame, we don't react properly.

Point is, they didn't do the work up front like you are supposed to with ANY large building project. We have had to not go in certain places due to migrating birds or high levels. We've also had situations where certain times of the year we shut down turbines for the birds. In fact, in some cases it make financial sense for bird radar to be installed to shut down when they start coming in.

That particular location had SMALL wind turbines that spin super fast and give zero chance for birds to make it. The "bird friendly" turbines going up are larger new technology. One cannot take old technology and apply it's downfalls to new ones. It'd be just like blaming bad/old nuclear reactor designs on new ones. it's stupid, but since we are fickle, we will think of anything to start an argument.

Crazy stuff, easy to get around, just do your homework. It isn't any better for worse than any other large building or construction project.

About the noise, read the report here:

http://www.hmmh.com/cmsdocuments/Falmou ... ov2010.pdf

First off, the article makes it sounds like it is disturbing the whole community, it isn't. It is effecting 1-2 houses and random complaints in the community.With ANY large project or change to small communities you will always get complaints. It's a given...

Secondly, each wind turbine has a noise specification. This turbine was operating within those measurements. It was also running at an acceptable level for the local noise ordances, meaning, a noisy neighbour can make the same level of racket and can't get in trouble. Below is a refence dB level chart for comaprison. 40 dB is reletive to a wisper @ 30 dB to a normal conversation @ 60-80 dB. Essentially what people are complaining about would equal less than a neighbours conversation heard from the next yard.

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

Thirdly, who ever acted like wind turbines don't make noise and what idiots would put on up thinking it wouldn't make a lick of noise. It is a 400 foot (adding in tip length) machine with an 82 meter (270 foot) rotating hub making 1.65 MW of power. What morons think it is a great idea to put it right next to town and not have any complaints is beyond me. Other turbines, even bigger, have gone up and have had little problems. Why is it so inconsistent if it is so clear?

The end of the article it total BS... it takes special cases and turns it into an epidemic, which I know Sly you knew when you posted it. If you don't want twind turbines in your area, pass ordances to keep them out of your county. The other option is to put a nuclear plant or coal plant next to your house. have fun with that NIMBY's... :roll:

March 28th, 2011, 10:39 am
8,000 + birds is a helluva lot of special cases, and again, like I've said before, the things are ugly as hell, an eyesore to nature's landscape, and apparently loud and annoying. This things are far from great, and should only be used in a limited basis.

March 28th, 2011, 2:44 pm
RIP Killer

In one location wjb... it is a special case because you don't see that issue in almost all other cases. Bad planning made a special case with a decently sized impact to the local environment... plan better and the issue goes away. Again, ONE case had a 8,000 + bird with SPECIFIC wind turbines.

http://www.altamontsrc.org/alt_doc/m30_ ... ec_sum.pdf

Read the report the data is from. It shows the issue is not wind turbines it is the low capacity ones that kill the birds at such high numbers. This is NOT seen in others areas where you don't put them in a pass where birds migrate. We see barely any bird deaths out in Iowa or other areas with the large MW wind turbines.

Why do people take this out of context and blankly apply it to everything?

If you don't want ugly large wind turbines, then stop using electricity because this is your alternative... Look WJB, your house is the white one in 10 years...

I guess that is less of an eyesore to nature's landscape...

Did you even read the stinking dB info WJB? Really? Loud and annoying? Come on...

Your post is completely missing facts and context...

March 28th, 2011, 6:24 pm
I've never been within a 1/4 mile of one, but apparently they're giving someone a headache. I have seen them litter a landscape though, and they ARE much uglier than one power plant that's often tucked away in an industrial part of a City somewhere.

So they should take down the SF wind turbines? I would love to see that happen. Personally I don't understand why they don't build more offshore, but I'm guessing it is because the cost/benefit isn't there.

March 28th, 2011, 8:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next