View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 24th, 2014, 12:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Ronald Reagan daughter: Shooter's freedom unfair 
Modmin Dude

Post Ronald Reagan daughter: Shooter's freedom unfair
Politico wrote:
Ronald Reagan daughter: Shooter's freedom unfair

By JAMES HOHMANN | 3/24/11 12:00 PM EDT
Ronald Reagan’s daughter hates that John Hinckley, the man who nearly killed her father 30 years ago, is allowed unsupervised visits away from his mental hospital and could someday be released.

In a TIME magazine essay posted online Thursday, Patti Davis reflects on the enduring pain of the 1981 shooting and balks that the perpetrator gets to stay with his mother in Virginia for 10 days at a time, 12 times a year

“There are times when the American legal system works brilliantly. There are times when it fails,” Davis writes. “The story of John Hinckley should always include this: As far as the victims are concerned, he beat the legal system. He had wealthy parents who bought him a tenacious lawyer.”

Davis, 58, complains that “because Hinckley was found not guilty by reason of insanity, the law states, if it is determined that he is sane, no danger to himself or others, he must be set free.”

“So Hinckley might in time reside as a free man in Williamsburg, stopping at the local coffee shop, browsing bookstores, maybe venturing onto the local tennis courts and golf courses,” she adds. “Time is a matter of perspective. Sometimes 30 years isn’t so long.”

Reagan was shot on March 30, 1981, as he left the Washington Hilton. The near-assassination is explored in a new book called “Rawhide Down,” which will debut at No. 14 on this Sunday’s New York Times bestseller list.

Davis, an outspoken liberal, writes that she holds the judge and defense lawyer involved in the case responsible for Hinckley’s increasing privileges.

“Despite the government’s objections and its arguments that Hinckley still has a ‘narcissistic need’ to impress women — a need that could again lead to violence — U.S. District Judge Paul Friedman has consistently sided with Hinckley’s attorney, Barry Levine, and granted more and more freedom to the man who once called his assassination attempt ‘the greatest love offering in the history of the world,’” Davis writes. “The plan for Hinckley’s ultimate freedom has been in place for years. His attorney is as patient as his client. Short visits, then longer ones, then complete release.”

Levine did not respond to a request for comment.

Most of Davis’s reflection piece explores what’s happened to those who were shot.

White House press secretary James Brady, who was paralyzed in the shooting, has been in a wheelchair for three decades and is now almost completely blind. His wife, Sarah, told Davis that he’s spent the past year screaming in his sleep.

Tim McCarthy, a Secret Service agent who jumped in front of one of Hinckley’s .22-caliber bullets, is the police chief in Orland Park, Ill.

Tom Delahanty, a police officer in Washington who had permanent nerve damage after being shot in the back, has disappeared from public view.

Davis says that the victims’ lingering pain stands in marked contrast to Hinckley, who spends most of his time living at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital in the southeast quadrant of the city. The 55-year-old gets to feed stray cats, go to the beach, play the guitar and has had “numerous girlfriends” — including, reportedly, multiple women at once, Davis writes.

She said Nancy Reagan still “remembers the noise and chaos of the hospital that day and a nurse coming in to tell her that time was running out to find the bullet” in Reagan’s chest.

“My mother will hear the echoes of that day,” Davis writes, “and remember the deathly paleness of my father’s skin.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/03 ... z1HXel2qoY

I have to agree with Ms. Davis here. How in the hell can someone that attempted to kill a POTUS be allowed this much freedom??? Seriouly WTF??? Can someone please explain this to me?

March 24th, 2011, 2:12 pm
Post Re: Ronald Reagan daughter: Shooter's freedom unfair
Maybe they let him out hoping he will try again...

:idea:

March 24th, 2011, 2:21 pm
NFL Team Captain

wjb21ndtown wrote:

Wow... :-"

March 24th, 2011, 6:03 pm
RIP Killer

I find it quite typical that her being a staunch liberal doesn't like it when the tables are turned on someone like herself. She doesn't like it, so it shouldn't happen.

STFU Patti. It's people like YOU who have put those liberal judges on their benches to rule such as this. It's people like YOU who have allowed the justice system to deteriorate such that the criminals are given more rights than the victims. It's people like YOU who created the whole "not guilty by reason of insanity" plea, and made it so that if the person becomes "healthy" can forego their sentence and live out the rest of their life and thus possibly put other innocent folks in danger. It's people like YOU, Patti Davis, that make me wish people like YOU would move to France by the thousands and allow America to go back to the great country it once was, without the liberal, politically correct, give them a second, third and fourth chance, put them on parole, give all the kids a trophy, everybody wins, no spankings and no negative comments crap that has turned this once proud country so soft that they elected a president who couldn't make a decision if he was given the obvious answer.

You suck, and so does anyone else who thinks like you. Hinkley should have shot you instead, you dumb b!tch.

March 24th, 2011, 10:01 pm
TNLionsFanatic wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Wow... :-"

:D :idea: :arrow:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

March 24th, 2011, 10:15 pm
Modmin Dude

:shock: Wow! This thread deteriorated rather quickly...anyone want to try to save it??? ](*,)

March 25th, 2011, 9:06 am
RIP Killer

I hate the fact that people can use insanity pleas to do less time. IMO they should be held with higher regard in terms of public safety nad not think of jail as a punishement in that case but rather a way to keep the public safe. no one with mental problems is "cured," they just find ways to keep it under control. When someone has shown they cannot keep their mental problems under control so vivedl we need to be smart about things here...

I am all about forgivess and not keeping people in jail forever, but geez. He went so nuts he shot a president for goodness sakes! I'm torn, but I see no discussion regarding what medical or phycological people the judge sided with... only lawyers and gov't officials.

On a side note, WJB, you're the lawyer... An assassination attempt on a president, why the heck was it a state offense and not a federal offense? isn't that akin to reason and maybe they can get around all the BS of the state law?

March 25th, 2011, 10:22 am
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
:shock: Wow! This thread deteriorated rather quickly...anyone want to try to save it??? ](*,)

Patti Davis is an idiot........is that saving it?

March 25th, 2011, 5:56 pm
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:

I agree. Patti Davis is the epitome of an idiot. She had the greatest President of my lifetime as her father. And apparently, she refused to learn anything from him. In the words of her Father, " She must have been smoking something".

March 26th, 2011, 10:13 am
steensn wrote:
I hate the fact that people can use insanity pleas to do less time. IMO they should be held with higher regard in terms of public safety nad not think of jail as a punishement in that case but rather a way to keep the public safe. no one with mental problems is "cured," they just find ways to keep it under control. When someone has shown they cannot keep their mental problems under control so vivedl we need to be smart about things here...

I am all about forgivess and not keeping people in jail forever, but geez. He went so nuts he shot a president for goodness sakes! I'm torn, but I see no discussion regarding what medical or phycological people the judge sided with... only lawyers and gov't officials.

On a side note, WJB, you're the lawyer... An assassination attempt on a president, why the heck was it a state offense and not a federal offense? isn't that akin to reason and maybe they can get around all the BS of the state law?

I'm not sure Steen, and as much as I like legal research I'm not taking up that project from the home computer!

March 26th, 2011, 12:20 pm
RIP Killer

I thought you just knew!

March 28th, 2011, 10:40 am
Modmin Dude

BillySims wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:

I agree. Patti Davis is the epitome of an idiot. She had the greatest President of my lifetime as her father. And apparently, she refused to learn anything from him. In the words of her Father, " She must have been smoking something".

So, instead of discussing the actual topic at hand, you'd rather deflect and talk about someone's personal views that really have nothing to do with the topic at hand. Um...ok...

And we wonder why things are such a mess in DC...If WE can't even stay on topic without berating and taking shots at someone/something, then how the hell can we expect our elected officials to do it?

March 28th, 2011, 9:36 pm
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
BillySims wrote:

So, instead of discussing the actual topic at hand, you'd rather deflect and talk about someone's personal views that really have nothing to do with the topic at hand. Um...ok...

And we wonder why things are such a mess in DC...If WE can't even stay on topic without berating and taking shots at someone/something, then how the hell can we expect our elected officials to do it?

Well, excuse me, but I happen to think that Patti Davis' views ARE the topic at hand. What exactly do you think the topic is? The fact that Hinkley is due for parole? That he has been given such liberties? That's old news Wags. It's been going on for years. To my knowledge, however, this is the first time staunch liberal Davis has spoken out on this matter, and that is the topic. At least that's my take on this whole thing.

Since you launched this thread, what exactly do you feel the topic is?

March 29th, 2011, 7:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]