View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 23rd, 2014, 6:29 pm



Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Randy Paul, Crappers, and CFL's 
Author Message
Lionbacker Rehab Guru
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2006, 9:08 pm
Posts: 1194
Post Randy Paul, Crappers, and CFL's
http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/677-e2-wire/154829-rand-paul-citing-toilets-says-most-of-the-energy-department-could-be-gotten-rid-of
Quote:
Paul blasted appliance and lighting efficiency standards at a Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee hearing last month, accusing the federal government of a “busybody” nature that’s “insulting.”

“Frankly, my toilets don’t work in my house, and I blame you and people like you who want to tell me what I can install in my house, what I can do; you restrict my choices,” he told Kathleen Hogan, the deputy assistant secretary for energy efficiency, at the March 10 hearing.

A 1992 energy law set toilet water efficiency standards of 1.6 gallons per flush.

Paul said at the hearing that he supports energy conservation, but that such efforts should be voluntary.

OO RAH

_________________
01/21/14:Blueskies may emote like a 14 year old girl, but he had the stones to take a bet no other Lionbacker would take. For that he has my total admiration.

Blueskies is my hero. I worship the ground he walks on.


April 8th, 2011, 1:02 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 11932
Post Re: Randy Paul
TruckinMack wrote:
OO RAH

Former Marine?

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


April 8th, 2011, 1:15 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9373
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Randy Paul
If it is yellow, let it mellow, if it is brown, flush it down. I prefer 1.8 gallons per flush for the brown stuff...

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


April 8th, 2011, 2:04 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran General Manager
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7235
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Randy Paul
Pablo wrote:
If it is yellow, let it mellow, if it is brown, flush it down. I prefer 1.8 gallons per flush for the brown stuff...


When I flush my toilet, I want it to scream VA WHOOOOOOOSHHHHHHHH.


April 8th, 2011, 5:50 pm
Profile
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post Re: Randy Paul
Liberal Environmental Activism just stinks, literally. Here's just one example of their unintended consequences:
CNN wrote:
Low-flow toilets cause stink in San Francisco

March 1st, 2011 07:21 AM ET

The city of San Francisco's push for low-flow toilets is saving water – at a smelly price.

Use of the low-flow toilets has cut city water consumption by 20 million gallons a year, Public Utilities Commission spokesman Tyrone Jue told the San Francisco Chronicle.

But the cost is both monetary and olfactory.

Because water flow isn't pushing the waste through the system fast enough, a stinky sludge is building up in the sewers, the Chronicle reports. It's blamed for a rotten-egg smell wafting through areas of the city, especially during summer, according to the report.

So the city is spending $14 million to buy a three-year supply of concentrated bleach to combat the sewer odor, disinfect treated water before it's pumped into San Francisco Bay and sanitize tap water.

The plan is drawing criticism from environmental advocates.

"Using sodium hypochlorite, commonly known as bleach, is the equivalent of using a sledgehammer to crack an egg; it's the wrong tool, and it will cause irreversible collateral damage," San Francisco chemical engineer Adam Lowry and German chemist Michael Braungart wrote in a Chronicle op-ed.

Their solution to the stink: either dumping hydrogen peroxide into the sewers or "a pro-biotic solution, that is, enzymes or bacteria that would simply 'eat' the smell then degrade harmlessly."


http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/01/low-flow-toilets-cause-stink-in-san-francisco/

I guess they get what they deserve, huh? :lol:

_________________
Image


April 8th, 2011, 9:52 pm
Profile
Lionbacker Rehab Guru
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2006, 9:08 pm
Posts: 1194
Post Re: Randy Paul
TheRealWags wrote:
TruckinMack wrote:
OO RAH

Former Marine?

Only a wanna be.

Got two kids Army though.

_________________
01/21/14:Blueskies may emote like a 14 year old girl, but he had the stones to take a bet no other Lionbacker would take. For that he has my total admiration.

Blueskies is my hero. I worship the ground he walks on.


April 9th, 2011, 7:18 am
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3709
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Randy Paul
Is anyone else suprised that the water saved was only 20 million gallons a year? I know that SOUNDS like a lot, but in perspective, if you watched the Niagara falls for 5 minutes, you've watched more that 50 million gallons go by. 20 million is not a whole lot of water reduction for all that $$ spent on all the new thrones..

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


April 10th, 2011, 1:48 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: Randy Paul
regularjoe12 wrote:
Is anyone else suprised that the water saved was only 20 million gallons a year? I know that SOUNDS like a lot, but in perspective, if you watched the Niagara falls for 5 minutes, you've watched more that 50 million gallons go by. 20 million is not a whole lot of water reduction for all that $$ spent on all the new thrones..


No one had to replace the toilets, just new ones had to meet that standard.

Also, the 1.6 gallon standard saves a family of four 22,000 gallons a year... saving the cost of the toilet and more each year. And the real stat is that the toilets save that many millions of gallons plus a DAY, not year.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


April 10th, 2011, 3:14 pm
Profile
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post Re: Randy Paul
steensn wrote:
No one had to replace the toilets, just new ones had to meet that standard.

Also, the 1.6 gallon standard saves a family of four 22,000 gallons a year... saving the cost of the toilet and more each year. And the real stat is that the toilets save that many millions of gallons plus a DAY, not year.

I have several issues with your post. First of all, San Francisco has saved 20 million gallons of water per year, not day, since they began using low flow toilets. This is because not everyone has switched to the new toilets and water usage is increasing due to an increase in population and for other uses. The facts stated by the Public Utilities Commission were correct.

Secondly, were do you get this 22,000 gallons a year crap (pun intended) from? I've heard 15,000-20,000 from some other sources, but I believe that is even a stretch. Now, if you want to assume that the family of four used to have an 8 gallon flush, then I can see it. But, the average toilet being replaced flushed between 3-4 gallons, so let's go with 3.6 for simplicity sake. That would be a water savings of 2 gallons per flush. That breaks down to 11,000 flushes per year (using your example) or 30 flushes per day. Now, let's assume that each family member sleeps for 8 hours per day and either works or attends school for another 8 hours. That leaves 8 hours per day for each family member to participate in approximately 7.534 flushes per day, or almost once per hour. If they're pooping and peeing that much, they've got bigger issues than how much water they're saving. :lol:

With all that said, I'm in favor of conserving water and I even bought a new low flow toilet myself this past summer. But, I hate it when people overstate things to make them sound better than they actually are and that's why I posted what I did above. When you break down the facts and the stats, they usually aren't as good as some people try to make them out to be.

_________________
Image


April 11th, 2011, 9:04 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: Randy Paul
I didn't vet it... saw a couple places with that figure and assumed it was accepted. Saw 12,000 later, 22,000 is assuming an 8 gallon flusher likely.

I just found a study online that gives each person around 5 flushes a day on average, so that is 10 gallons a day a person using the UFL toilet. For a year 3,650 gallons. Family of four, 14,600 gallons a year if they pooped in a UFL toilet only.

And the point of how many have switched and the total saved is irrelevant. You cannot base the merit of something because it hasn't been widely used to make a huge impact. You are also saying that since the 1990's the water usage in SF has gone DOWN 20 million EVEN with an increase in population!? They gained 100,000 people (around 15%) and still save 20 million gallons a year? You yourself pointed out the flaws in the data being used.

Using the numbers above, if everyone switched toilets:

800,000 people in SF
3,650 gallons saved a year per person
2,920,000,000 gallons could be saved with UFL toilets a year

That is NOT an overstatement, that is a real world calculation. They saw 100,000 people move in and they are still saving more water than they were. That is an incredible sign and should not be understated. It is not hard to see that millions of gallons a day all over the WORLD is saved with UFL's if the #'s of installations are correct and usage is right.

I don't think I overstated anything really, just happened to use the 8 gallon comparison number intead of the average one.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


April 12th, 2011, 10:07 am
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3709
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Randy Paul
steensn wrote:
I didn't vet it... saw a couple places with that figure and assumed it was accepted. Saw 12,000 later, 22,000 is assuming an 8 gallon flusher likely.

I just found a study online that gives each person around 5 flushes a day on average, so that is 10 gallons a day a person using the UFL toilet. For a year 3,650 gallons. Family of four, 14,600 gallons a year if they pooped in a UFL toilet only.

And the point of how many have switched and the total saved is irrelevant. You cannot base the merit of something because it hasn't been widely used to make a huge impact. You are also saying that since the 1990's the water usage in SF has gone DOWN 20 million EVEN with an increase in population!? They gained 100,000 people (around 15%) and still save 20 million gallons a year? You yourself pointed out the flaws in the data being used.

Using the numbers above, if everyone switched toilets:

800,000 people in SF
3,650 gallons saved a year per person
2,920,000,000 gallons could be saved with UFL toilets a year

That is NOT an overstatement, that is a real world calculation. They saw 100,000 people move in and they are still saving more water than they were. That is an incredible sign and should not be understated. It is not hard to see that millions of gallons a day all over the WORLD is saved with UFL's if the #'s of installations are correct and usage is right.

I don't think I overstated anything really, just happened to use the 8 gallon comparison number intead of the average one.


See, THATS a number closer to what I was expecting to hear. judging from your reactions i see that you all were not suprised by the low number. Course I didn't realize you all were part of the SF Census board! :wink: :lol:

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


April 12th, 2011, 5:37 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: Randy Paul
Weird how the internet has all this information in it... besides that is JUSt for SF... which isn't even a large city.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


April 12th, 2011, 8:23 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3709
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Randy Paul
ahhh the fancy intranets and the googles...gotcha...and isn't SF bigger the Detroit now?? thats a pretty big city.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


April 13th, 2011, 11:58 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: Randy Paul
Not when you consider la and ny are ten times larger...

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


April 13th, 2011, 1:38 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9373
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Randy Paul
regularjoe12 wrote:
ahhh the fancy intranets and the googles...gotcha...and isn't SF bigger the Detroit now?? thats a pretty big city.


Hell, Fort Worth down here is now bigger than Detroit so lets not use Motown as a measuring stick anymore.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


April 13th, 2011, 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 169 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.