View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 7:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Is it just me? Or does anyone else want to punch this punk? 
Veteran General Manager

Post Is it just me? Or does anyone else want to punch this punk?

This punk is desperate to look kool and fails badly at it.
His music just stinks.
That is the gayest hair do ever put on a guy.
It looks like he combs his hair by sticking his head in a toilet and flushing. LOL.

And my youngest daughter can't quit talking about this punk.

April 10th, 2011, 9:43 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Is it just me? Or does anyone else want to punch this pu
He's successful...

April 10th, 2011, 10:02 am
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

BillySims wrote:

This punk is desperate to look kool and fails badly at it.
His music just stinks.
That is the gayest hair do ever put on a guy.
It looks like he combs his hair by sticking his head in a toilet and flushing. LOL.

And my youngest daughter can't quit talking about this punk.

Give him shoulder length hair, and with his huge bangs, round face and pouty lips, he could be me when I was 16... and I really want to punch him.

Blueskies is my hero. I worship the ground he walks on.

April 10th, 2011, 10:44 am
QB Coach

I give him credit. He can sing, he can dance, and he became successful because he believed in himself and posted his music on youtube. He did work to be discovered, and was discovered. I have nothing against him. Better him than the teeny bopper people that can't really sing but have studio producers making them sound good.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

April 10th, 2011, 11:07 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

ya know what I love about my old man ignorance? I can honestly ask "who is that"? I know I've seen him somewhere but ill be damned if I know who he is. Looks like the next gen of Disney kids....

EDIT: I know where i've seen him! The Ozzi Commercial durring the Super bowl!!

April 10th, 2011, 1:28 pm
Veteran General Manager

regularjoe12 wrote:
ya know what I love about my old man ignorance? I can honestly ask "who is that"? I know I've seen him somewhere but ill be damned if I know who he is. Looks like the next gen of Disney kids....

It's Justin Beiber. The most recent talentless teeny bopper to make the big time.

April 10th, 2011, 8:52 pm
QB Coach

BillySims wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

It's Justin Beiber. The most recent talentless teeny bopper to make the big time.

Just out of curiosity Billy, is there any current pop singer/performer/group who you think is talented? What about current rock groups? Just curious what your standard is for talented vs. talentless.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

April 10th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Veteran General Manager

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
BillySims wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Just out of curiosity Billy, is there any current pop singer/performer/group who you think is talented? What about current rock groups? Just curious what your standard is for talented vs. talentless.

For one thing, I am not being totally serious with this thread. For another, I don't listen to anymore Pop than I overhear my daughter listening to. For yet another, I don't listen to Secular Rock Music anymore. I have totally switched over to Christian Rock. So, you might not have ever heard of some of the groups that I consider talented.

Talentless = Any song that is about sex/drugs/drinking/swearing and any other manner of general unruliness.

Talented = Making a good song that is inspiring and uplifting and has an all around positive message and has a great tune to it.

Talented groups I listen to:
Mercy Me, Natalie Grant, Rebecca St James, Casting Crowns, Newsboys, and DC Talk.

(And the harder side of Christian Rock).
Skillet, <--- (yes, they are Christian) --->, Alter Bridge, Creed, Red, Project 86, Decyfer Down, Disciple, and Daughtry.

Those are just a few of my favorites. You probably haven't heard of even half of them.

April 10th, 2011, 10:18 pm
RIP Killer

His songs may not show his talent, but the kid has some crazy talent. He's making music that sells and racking in the dough...

April 10th, 2011, 11:13 pm
QB Coach

BillySims wrote:
For one thing, I am not being totally serious with this thread. For another, I don't listen to anymore Pop than I overhear my daughter listening to. For yet another, I don't listen to Secular Rock Music anymore. I have totally switched over to Christian Rock. So, you might not have ever heard of some of the groups that I consider talented.

Talentless = Any song that is about sex/drugs/drinking/swearing and any other manner of general unruliness.

Talented = Making a good song that is inspiring and uplifting and has an all around positive message and has a great tune to it.

Talented groups I listen to:
Mercy Me, Natalie Grant, Rebecca St James, Casting Crowns, Newsboys, and DC Talk.

(And the harder side of Christian Rock).
Skillet, <--- (yes, they are Christian) --->, Alter Bridge, Creed, Red, Project 86, Decyfer Down, Disciple, and Daughtry.

Those are just a few of my favorites. You probably haven't heard of even half of them.

You're right. The only 2 names I recognize are Creed and Daughtry, and to refer to Creed as talented is a whole other matter. :wink:

You answered my question, so fair enough. For me, talent (in terms of performers like this) is musical ability (sing, play an instrument, etc.) dance, or do something that requires a skill. Bieber can definitely sing. Quite well. So in my book, he's talented and deserves his success.

April 11th, 2011, 1:08 am
Pro Bowl Player

Christian rock= talented?

Lol?

Most Christian rockers are hack musicians who can't cut it, so they switch to Christian rock because their talent doesn't matter in the genre.

There are some talented Christian rock groups, but most of them don't refer to themselves as Christian rockers. Take Thrice, for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzNSaxZqw24

April 11th, 2011, 1:12 am
RIP Killer

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
You answered my question, so fair enough. For me, talent (in terms of performers like this) is musical ability (sing, play an instrument, etc.) dance, or do something that requires a skill. Bieber can definitely sing. Quite well. So in my book, he's talented and deserves his success.

That is the way I wold define it at as well... doesn;t mean I would listen to any talented person music though ;)

April 11th, 2011, 9:56 am
RIP Killer

Blueskies wrote:
Christian rock= talented?

Lol?

Most Christian rockers are hack musicians who can't cut it, so they switch to Christian rock because their talent doesn't matter in the genre.

There are some talented Christian rock groups, but most of them don't refer to themselves as Christian rockers. Take Thrice, for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzNSaxZqw24

Oh brother... here we go. "Christian, did you say something about Christian. Whatever it is, it can't be good and I'll come up with some ignorant reasonw why!"

If you want to boil down Christian to being "those who can't hack it so they jump inot something else" then you are again missing the whole point of Christianity. Some of the most talented musicians stay within Christian music specifically, even with the potential for greater things, because they feel they need to sing about God and not how big someones boobs are.

In fact, some bans choose not to label themselves in that because of this biased AGAINST it for no apparent reason.

April 11th, 2011, 10:01 am
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

steensn wrote:
Oh brother... here we go. "Christian, did you say something about Christian. Whatever it is, it can't be good and I'll come up with some ignorant reasonw why!"

The problem is kids today have forgotten some of the great music from the 60's that incorporated a hip, upbeat tune with a Christian message. I'm not necessarily talking about overtly Christian tunes like Paul Stukey's "Wedding Song", which was great, or Ocean's "Put your hand in the hand" which wasn't so great.

I'm thinking about "Turn, Turn, Turn" or "People Got to be Free", "Morning has Broken" or even just the simple, "What the world needs now is Love, Sweet Love".

Once upon a time Christian Music and Folk Music were on a first name basis. Christian music has since been relegated to the back room. Music like "I can only imagine" and movies like "Soul Surfer" may help bring Christians back into the front room.

Blueskies is my hero. I worship the ground he walks on.

April 11th, 2011, 2:32 pm
RIP Killer

Justin Beiber does have talent, just not talent that appeals to grandpas Billy. That is not his target and just like your father (or grandfather) probably thought all the top artist of your generation lacked talent, you are entitled to your opinion.

This kid was discovered on YouTube, actually singing and playing the piano, not lip synching like the current crop of Disney stars. That alone puts him well ahead of many of todays pop stars. His voice isn't terrible, lets see if it changes over the next few years and he can sing while dancing, something that most can't seem to do.

Now, all that said I'm not buying any of his music nor will you find any on my iPod, but if my kids like it I'm fine with it (although my boys seem to prefer Katy Perry at this point in time and who can blame them).

Billy, music taste change over time - sounds like you just haven't changed with them.

April 11th, 2011, 4:14 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next