View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 5:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Best Cristian/Pop tune all time? 
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

Post Best Cristian/Pop tune all time?
I am trying to think of the best pop tune that has overt Chistian themes. My choices are either 'Let it be' or 'The Weight' by The Band. Anyone got anything better?

April 16th, 2011, 2:39 pm
Afghan Allstar

Post Re: Best Cristian/Pop tune all time?
How about Alive by POD?

April 16th, 2011, 2:53 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

buell17 wrote:
How about Alive by POD?

As you all know, I am old. 'Alive'really is not on my radar. Having just checked it out on youtube I can say, "Nice tramp stamp." And, good music to work out to. But not as good as Let it be or The Weight for best Christian pop.

April 16th, 2011, 3:39 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I'm not really into Pop.
But, my current favorite Christian rock song is "All of Creation" by Mercy Me.

April 16th, 2011, 4:02 pm
QB Coach

Casting Crowns is an excellent band that has produced many tunes that have done double duty.

"Till the whole world hears"
"Who am I"

Mercy Me also did a song a few years that I don't remember, but it has been on all radio stations.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

April 16th, 2011, 5:57 pm
RIP Killer

I'm not much one for Christian groups, but Jars of Clay is decent.

April 16th, 2011, 7:17 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

DevilDoc wrote:
Casting Crowns is an excellent band that has produced many tunes that have done double duty.

"Till the whole world hears"
"Who am I"

Mercy Me also did a song a few years that I don't remember, but it has been on all radio stations.

I think you are referring to "I can only imagine".

April 16th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

Pablo wrote:

I can see that this was a failed experiment. Unfortunately I combined one epithet (Christian) with another (Pop). I was more interested in Christian music that was a crossover hit as well. 'Let it be' was probably a Pop tune, but 'The Weight was more Rock/Blues.

Back in the day everyone listened to 'My Sweet Lord', I don't know how to love him', not to mention 'Jesus Christ Superstar' without thinking, "Hey, this is religious music."

It went beyond just music (though music dominated). Jesus Christ Superstar, Godspell, and Joseph and the Technicolor Dream Coat owned broadway. And if JC Superstar was a 'Rock' opera based on the gospels, Tommy was an 'Acid Rock' opera based loosely based on Jesus.

Once upon a time, it seems a long, long time ago my generation accepted Christianity as a normal part of everyday life. That was indeed a long, long time ago. But then again, I am old.

April 17th, 2011, 11:28 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

TruckinMack wrote:
Pablo wrote:

I can see that this was a failed experiment. Unfortunately I combined one epithet (Christian) with another (Pop). I was more interested in Christian music that was a crossover hit as well. 'Let it be' was probably a Pop tune, but 'The Weight was more Rock/Blues.

Back in the day everyone listened to 'My Sweet Lord', I don't know how to love him', not to mention 'Jesus Christ Superstar' without thinking, "Hey, this is religious music."

It went beyond just music (though music dominated). Jesus Christ Superstar, Godspell, and Joseph and the Technicolor Dream Coat owned broadway. And if JC Superstar was a 'Rock' opera based on the gospels, Tommy was an 'Acid Rock' opera based loosely based on Jesus.

Once upon a time, it seems a long, long time ago my generation accepted Christianity as a normal part of everyday life. That was indeed a long, long time ago. But then again, I am old.

T Mack, you might be getting into an area where our younger members have no clue or idea as to what you are referring to. From Harrison's All Things Must Pass to The Who's Tommy, I'm sure many of our younger members have never listen to them from beginning to end. But since you have started this I'll throw Dylan's John Wesley Harding into the mix, many scholars have considered this to be an interpretation of the book of Isaiah.

April 17th, 2011, 11:41 am
Hall of Fame Player

Daughtry's song "Home". Most people do not realize that it is a Christian themed song. It is played on Christian and secular stations.

Creed, Alter Bridge, and Skillet are also Christian Bands that are played on secular stations also.

April 17th, 2011, 12:04 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Why am I not surprised that Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Danzig, or Slayer didn't make anyone's list? headbang.gif

April 17th, 2011, 12:23 pm
Modmin Dude

slybri19 wrote:
Why am I not surprised that Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Danzig, or Slayer didn't make anyone's list? headbang.gif

You mean Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath doesn't count? :shock:

April 18th, 2011, 9:27 am
RIP Killer

I can't really answer the question I don't think. I guess I don't watch to see if Christian themed songs do well in the charts (mainly because I don't pay attention to the charts ;) ). I just listen to good music, whatever that may be.

I do know that "Jesus Take the Wheel" by Carri Undwerwood did well though on all boards when I googled it.

April 18th, 2011, 9:42 am
Hall of Fame Player

U2 is not a Christian Band. But, they did make a Christian song. " Where the streets have no name ". It loosely talks about heaven.

Also, The Rolling Stones, "Sympathy for the Devil" has a lot of relevance to what you are asking about.

April 19th, 2011, 12:23 pm
RIP Killer

I like some christian rock

Check out:
Pillar
Skillet
Thousand Foot Krutch

April 19th, 2011, 2:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]