View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 17th, 2014, 9:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Osama Bin Laden killed 
RIP Killer

Post Osama Bin Laden killed
Just heard the news, the body is in custody as well. Nearly 10 years later, well done boys!

May 1st, 2011, 10:50 pm
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: Osama Bin Laden killed
Yup, been following it. Here's what i've gotten so far...

- Ground operation of US Special Forces
- Killed in Mansion in city not far from Pakistani Capital
- Killed a week ago, and they did family DNA testing to verify

So it wasn't a drone attack and i'm surprised it was kept quiet for the week while they ran DNA tests. Figures as soon as the info gets to the white house it gets leaked out to the media before Obama has a chance to give his press conference.

I'd be on the look out for any cells in the U.S. to try something with the rush possibly getting them caught. Tension will be much higher around the globe now that he's dead, especially by U.S. hands.

Pakistan has some serious questions to answer.

May 1st, 2011, 11:32 pm
Afghan Allstar

As someone who knew and worked with 7 people that died in the Pentagon, and has deployed to Afghanistan and is getting ready to go back, this is a very happy day.

May 2nd, 2011, 9:01 am
Modmin Dude

Some updates:
-Was killed YESTERDAY not a week ago. Pres Obama gave order/go ahead for mission last week
-DNA verification has NOT been completed
-Body buried at sea and according to Islamic custom
-The compound/mansion was apparently within 30 miles of Pakistan's West Point

May 2nd, 2011, 9:04 am
QB Coach

RUMOR has it, he was SHOT EXECUTION STYLE!

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

May 2nd, 2011, 11:34 am
QB Coach

Somebodies got some pix, so now we need to wait and see. Pre or post mortem whichever.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

May 2nd, 2011, 11:35 am
RIP Killer

Mixed emotions. Feel more "that part is over" rather than joy and excitement as some are. Hard for me to be joyous in the death of someone not a Christian, but certainly the world is better off without his influence.

May 2nd, 2011, 11:37 am

So they bury his body by dumping it in the ocean less than a day after killing him? No pictures, nothing?

I smell a rat.

May 2nd, 2011, 12:16 pm
Modmin Dude

Blueskies wrote:
So they bury his body by dumping it in the ocean less than a day after killing him? No pictures, nothing?

I smell a rat.

I'm with ya Blue...patiently waiting more evidence.

This might help a little...
Politico.com wrote:
DNA, other tests confirm Osama bin Laden

By JENNIFER EPSTEIN | 5/2/11 11:16 AM EDT Updated: 5/2/11 12:38 PM EDT

After using multiple forms of identification, U.S. officials say they are confident that the man killed Sunday in Pakistan is Osama bin Laden. POLITICO has confirmed that DNA testing was among the methods used.

The tests show a 99.9 percent certainty that U.S. forces got the right man.

Full results of the DNA analysis should be available in the next few days, an official told Reuters. The United States is said to have collected DNA from bin Laden family members since 2001.

The CIA has used facial recognition techniques on bin Laden to ensure that U.S. forces got the right person. Evidence at the scene outside Islamabad also identified the man as bin Laden.

And the Pentagon said that during the raid, a woman said to be bin Laden’s wife identified him by name, the AP reported.

The use of DNA testing was first reported by the Associated Press on Monday morning.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/05 ... z1LDMnNEq5

May 2nd, 2011, 12:50 pm

I want to see a body. I want pictures. Why didn't they film the "burial"? When they found Saddam, they paraded him around like a trophy. Why the change of heart?

And then the fact that he was inside a mansion in Pakistan and not some cave? I have to believe that they knew about his location for quite some time.

May 2nd, 2011, 1:00 pm
Modmin Dude

Blueskies wrote:
I want to see a body. I want pictures. Why didn't they film the "burial"? When they found Saddam, they paraded him around like a trophy. Why the change of heart?

From what I read the burial at sea took place on a US ship, considering this there probably is a video of the ceremony somewhere...time will tell.
Wasn't Saddam 'paraded' around by the Iraqi people? If so, HUGE difference IMO. The US does not make a habit of displaying dead bodies just for the sake of proof.
Blueskies wrote:
And then the fact that he was inside a mansion in Pakistan and not some cave? I have to believe that they knew about his location for quite some time.

The Pakistanis? No doubt, someone had to know something....

May 2nd, 2011, 1:08 pm
Modmin Dude

Al-Jazeera wrote:
Opinion
Analysis: Killing the alibi

Washington has less reason or justification to wage a war in Afghanistan now that bin Laden is no more.
Marwan Bishara Last Modified: 02 May 2011 09:18

The killing of Osama bin Laden is a major symbolic victory for the Obama administration, but is it a game changer for the US strategy in the "Greater Middle East"?

After 10 years of pursuing al-Qaeda's leader, responsible for the September 11, 2001 attacks, the US has closed a chapter, but not the book, in its war on al-Qaeda and "international terrorism".

Since the attacks on New York and Washington, "al-Qaeda central" which was being run from the Pakistani Afghan border, has mutated into a global network of affiliates.

US "terrorism experts" have been split over the relevance of "al-Qaeda central" under the direct leadership of bin Laden and his lieutenants, in comparison to the global network of smaller cells and hardcore fighters who pledged allegiance to the leadership, or to put it bluntly, to the brand: "al-Qaeda".

Those who discount the importance of the 'disconnected and on-the-run' al-Qaeda leaders on the border of Pakistan and Afghanistan underline the importance of the decentralisation of the group.

They refer to it as SPIN (segmented, polycentric, ideologically networked) group, where al-Qaeda fighters in various parts of the world have increasingly acted on their own without direct orders or logistical and financial support from "al-Qaeda central".

In that way, al-Qaeda was more of a global and post-modern creature or phenomenon than a religious one.

What now?

While it has continued to invoke Islam and Jihad to rally support and to incite against non-Muslims, in reality its organisation and outreach, whether through the web or the use of modern technology, has been at the heart of its appeal as a global network.

Be that as it may, the physical death of bin Laden will no doubt lead to a serious psychological and inspirational setback for al-Qaeda fighters and their causes.

But for the Muslim world, bin Laden has already been made irrelevant by the Arab Spring that underlined the meaning of peoples power through peaceful means.

It is also worth recalling that bin Laden's al-Qaeda and its affiliates have killed far more Arabs and Muslims than they did Westerners.

And it was only after they failed to garner real support in the Arab world that they ran back to Afghanistan and began to target the West.

After long hijacking Arab and Muslim causes through its bloody attacks on Western targets, al-Qaeda has been discredited since 9/11 and its organisational capacity diminished by Western counter terror measures.

Al-Qaeda's bin Laden has provided the Bush administration with the excuse to launch its disastrous and costly wars in the greater Middle East.

As expected, Washington's wars in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan continued to provide al-Qaeda with fresh recruits and support in the Muslim world and perpetuate a cycle of violence that ripped through the region for the last decade.

However, it has been the more implicit and less costly US and Western intelligence services that succeeded to a large degree in curtailing al-Qaeda activities, limiting the movement of its leaders that eventually led to his killing.

So what will this mean for the US war in Afghanistan and Pakistan? Certainly Washington has less reason or justification to wage a war in Afghanistan now that bin Laden is no more.

It might also find more readiness among certain Taliban leaders in the absence of the thorniest issue of al-Qaeda, to make a deal that insures a power sharing arrangement in favour of the Taliban in return for curbing the use of Afghanistan by al-Qaeda to export "terrorism".

Bin Laden will continue to be a distraction for the short term, and especially if some of al-Qaeda groups muster revenge attacks.

But in the long term, it is the historical transformations in the Arab and Muslim world that will eventually close the book on al-Qaeda.

http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/op ... 17366.html

May 2nd, 2011, 1:12 pm

Even though I'm against Obama's policies, let's not jump to conclusions that this is a fake. Obama didn't kill him, the military did. The Navy Seals wouldn't let a lie about them be passed around the media if it weren't true. Especially team 6.

As of this morning, the administration was debating releasing the pictures because they're graphic. I think global pressure will get them to release them.

As to the burial at sea.. Reports have indicated that Obama cancelled a March bombing of the mansion, because he wanted the body, or more directly, wanted to avoid giving al'Qaeda a place to memorialize his martyrdom. They offered for his body to be given to Saudia Arabia and they refused.

Also, Obama observed the entire operation, so there's video of the operation itself, and the funeral since it was onboard a navy vessel and everything is videotaped. If those ever get released is another question, not likely unless someone leaks them, ala wikileaks.

Death was by gunshot to the head, above the left eye.

He had a chance to surrender, he fired. His wife identified him by name. His son was also killed. One civilian casualty was a woman they tried to use as a shield.

May 2nd, 2011, 4:05 pm

I'm not saying he isn't dead.

Certainly, if he was alive, all he would have to do is pop out and release a video and the US's credibility would be destroyed.

I'm saying that the "official story" and the truth are probably not the same thing.

May 2nd, 2011, 4:32 pm

It was actually tweeted as it was happening by an IT professional in Pakistan who didn't know he was living down the street from Osama.

May 2nd, 2011, 4:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next