View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 21st, 2014, 3:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 A different take on Bush's reaction on 9/11 
RIP Killer

Post A different take on Bush's reaction on 9/11
Interesting view of the reaction at the library by the students of the time:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20110504/u ... 9206932700

May 4th, 2011, 4:33 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: A different take on Bush's reaction on 9/11
I don't blame GWB for staying with those kids. I always thought that was a stupid liberal talking point.

I blame him for his policies in the seven years following 9/11. I fully believe he goes down as one of the worst presidents of all time.

May 4th, 2011, 10:43 pm
RIP Killer

Blueskies wrote:
I don't blame GWB for staying with those kids. I always thought that was a stupid liberal talking point.

I blame him for his policies in the seven years following 9/11. I fully believe he goes down as one of the worst presidents of all time.

Hey, that at leats points to resonable reasons to make opinions on him. Not everyone will like every policy, but at least you are not jumping on the lame can't do anything right bacndwagon.

May 5th, 2011, 9:53 am
QB Coach

Whether you liked him or not, he was a leader, he made a decision based upon the information he had, and went for it. Good or bad, HE MADE A DECISION. Our current situation, and the one before W, were typical left thinking in that they lead by committeee. "What do the polls say?"

A man of conviction will make a decision based upon the information at hand, and will stand by his decision. The very fact that W has not come out and slammed the President before him, nor this one after him, speaks A LOT about his character.

Bush has been the target of many jeers from BO, and has been blamed for many things, but IF the truth ever comes out, I think we'll see a man who acted in the best interests of the U.S. I can fault a man for making a decision and standing by it. However, this administration has more flops and flips than a fish out of water. I think Kerry would have been the perfect running mate, because at least he was assinine enough to literate, "I originally supported the decision before I disagreed with it."

Lead by EXAMPLE, and Lead from the FRONT, and endure whatever criticism comes your way, because opinions are like, well you know the rest.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

May 5th, 2011, 2:09 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

while I wont argue that Bush made decisions...I will argue that he probably should have gotten much more info before he made many of his descisions. The guy was a walking catastrophy. The sad part is our new guy should be looking AWSOME in comparison..but sadly doesn't. I mean seriously....we went from a guy who looked about as intelligent as a talking monkey (poo flinging and all!), to what we have now...How can he NOT look any better....it's a shame.

May 6th, 2011, 12:44 pm
RIP Killer

regularjoe12 wrote:
while I wont argue that Bush made decisions...I will argue that he probably should have gotten much more info before he made many of his descisions. The guy was a walking catastrophy. The sad part is our new guy should be looking AWSOME in comparison..but sadly doesn't. I mean seriously....we went from a guy who looked about as intelligent as a talking monkey (poo flinging and all!), to what we have now...How can he NOT look any better....it's a shame.

Maybe that is because we don't understand and have access to all the data. If every president makes the same stupid decisions (Barry is running with the SAME plan he fought against for withdrawal and is not doing what he said he would) then maybe we are the ones misinformed. Just a thought... Obama is not a moron and I REALLY feel he wanted to change the plan, but I think, and I even predicted this, that he was going to get into office, get briefed on the REAL state of the union and global affairs, and go "Holy S%&T, Mother F&$(#*R this is not what I signed up for."

I really feel that if you can have two completely different people come to the same conclusion, then maybe we need to acknowledge there is a lot we don't know. Onyl difference I see from Obama to Bush is the healthcare effort.

May 6th, 2011, 12:55 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

and the healthcare effort is what truly tanked him in my books. Im sorry even the POA doesnt have the authority to force me to buy a service/product. Makes him look as dumb as his predecesor in my book.

May 6th, 2011, 1:19 pm

I am absolutely baffled how people can still be apologetic for GWB.

The results are the results. And they're freaking awful.

He oversaw the Fed which created the housing bubble during his term and destroyed the economy. He got us involved in two wars (which whether justified or not) when he didn't have an exit strategy. Read any book on strategy. Any book at all. If you're going into battle you must have your exit already planned. He is perhaps the most short-sighted president in our history. He surrounded himself with worthless people.

During his term, the US rapidly declined--culturally, economically, perhaps even militarily.

Yes, there were powerful trends at work that were beyond his control. I'm not saying he should be completely blamed. But he certainly didn't help. In many ways he's very reminiscent of Rod Marinelli. Well intentioned, seemingly has the right character, but the results just weren't there.

Unfortunately Obama isn't much better. He's certainly more intelligent, which is a plus, but his vision is just so far off base. And he's going to win re-election, too. We're screwed.

May 8th, 2011, 4:13 am
Blueskies wrote:
I am absolutely baffled how people can still be apologetic for GWB.

The results are the results. And they're freaking awful.

He oversaw the Fed which created the housing bubble during his term and destroyed the economy. He got us involved in two wars (which whether justified or not) when he didn't have an exit strategy. Read any book on strategy. Any book at all. If you're going into battle you must have your exit already planned. He is perhaps the most short-sighted president in our history. He surrounded himself with worthless people.

During his term, the US rapidly declined--culturally, economically, perhaps even militarily.

Yes, there were powerful trends at work that were beyond his control. I'm not saying he should be completely blamed. But he certainly didn't help. In many ways he's very reminiscent of Rod Marinelli. Well intentioned, seemingly has the right character, but the results just weren't there.

Unfortunately Obama isn't much better. He's certainly more intelligent, which is a plus, but his vision is just so far off base. And he's going to win re-election, too. We're screwed.

Blue, if Bush would have tried to do something about the housing crisis and bad loans he would have been lambasted for being "against" homeownership, and for being racist. That was completely out of his control. The Liberals forced banks to borrow money to people that didn't deserve it, and the banks countered with "protections" that failed - end of story. I can't stand when people attempt to use the housing bubble as an example of a failure of a "free market." There was nothing free about the market that failed in that instance.

IF Obama is more intelligent it is brought to light through conscious methods to deceive people. His policies are flat out ridiculous, unintelligent, and mindless. I really can't see how anyone can say that Barry O is "smarter" than GWB. He comes across as such, when he's reading a teleprompter, but if we're using your results based analysis of the situation Barry O is much, much dumber than GWB.

May 9th, 2011, 12:48 am
RIP Killer

Blue, I think the point is that some of us realize Bush was unfairly critisized for things we didn't understand.

May 9th, 2011, 9:38 am
Modmin Dude

A couple points I'd like to make:

First: Bush didn't create the housing bubble, it started back in the 70s/80s (IIRC), then burst during his administration. (Bubbles always burst, some just take longer than others)

Secondly: For those that think Obama is better/smarter/etc than Bush et al, please remember that many look at his current term as the 3rd Bush term as Barry O has continued much of the same policies that Bush implemented. Of course there are glaring differences in some areas (ie "HCR") but looking at the foreign policy side, they're quite similar.

May 9th, 2011, 9:41 am

The bubble system was eliminated in '33 after the crash, and then Carter Repealed the first step, which led to the Savings and Loans scandals of the 80's, and then the last piece was repealed in '99. Immediately after we got the dot com bubble crash which hid a lot of the issue that led to the housing bubble and subsequent gas and oil bubbles.

Until they reinstate a lot of the problems with the Glass - Steagle act, we're going to continue to have the reoccuring bubbles and crashes, regardless of who's in the Whitehouse.

May 9th, 2011, 4:12 pm

If you really want to get into it, the housing bubble had roots in the 30s, when the government adjusted a variety of laws to push home ownership on the American people.

But, from a practical standpoint, the recent housing bubble started in the late 90s, and really started to get bad post-9/11. If you want proof of this, look at the long term trend line: go to Google images and search "case schiller".

Quote:
Blue, if Bush would have tried to do something about the housing crisis and bad loans he would have been lambasted for being "against" homeownership, and for being racist. That was completely out of his control.

Sorry, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. The president is the CEO of this country, it is his responsibility to do whats in the nations best interest, not to make excuses.

Quote:
The Liberals forced banks to borrow money to people that didn't deserve it, and the banks countered with "protections" that failed - end of story. I can't stand when people attempt to use the housing bubble as an example of a failure of a "free market." There was nothing free about the market that failed in that instance.

Your point about forced bank lending is valid, which again, the Bush administration was permissive of, but you're ignoring economic "stimulus" through cheap money policies.

Quote:
IF Obama is more intelligent it is brought to light through conscious methods to deceive people. His policies are flat out ridiculous, unintelligent, and mindless. I really can't see how anyone can say that Barry O is "smarter" than GWB. He comes across as such, when he's reading a teleprompter, but if we're using your results based analysis of the situation Barry O is much, much dumber than GWB.

Are his policies "smarter"? No, but the man is clearly more intelligent than GWB. Obama's a brilliant politician, he knows what he's doing. I fundamentally disagree with what we does, but I'm not biased enough to ignore the fact that's pretty skilled at what he does.

Quote:
For those that think Obama is better/smarter/etc than Bush et al, please remember that many look at his current term as the 3rd Bush term as Barry O has continued much of the same policies that Bush implemented. Of course there are glaring differences in some areas (ie "HCR") but looking at the foreign policy side, they're quite similar.

Yes, it is a third term in many ways. Even Obamacare could've been passed by Republicans a few years ago. I don't mean he's smarter in that he knows what the solutions are to our problems, I mean smarter as in his brain works in a faster/more efficient way than GWB's.

May 9th, 2011, 5:51 pm
RIP Killer

Blue, maybe you should run from the platform "I'm gonna make it hurt now so we are better off later." No president can go into office and single handedly push the US into a huge depression to end the cycle. While I agree it is the right thing to do, to expect that to happen is a little silly and out of reality.

May 9th, 2011, 6:32 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Blueskies, while I'm not a big fan of President Bush, name one thing he did that led to the housing/financial crisis? I can name several things that he didn't do to prevent it, but can't think of a single thing he did which caused it. Sure, you can blame him for the low interest rates, but he only had influence on them. The President doesn't control the Federal Reserve and they set the rates. Furthermore, he attempted several times to reform Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, but was shot down by Congress each time. How is that his fault? Perhaps, he could have tried harder or something? Please, just name one thing he did to cause it.

May 9th, 2011, 11:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next