View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 11th, 2017, 7:13 pm



Reply to topic  [ 368 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 25  Next
 Astronomy/Scientific Question 
Author Message
William Clay Ford Sr.
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 8984
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Astronomy/Scientific Question
aughsum wrote:
Serious question: mankind discovers extra terrestrial life - religious folk, what is your reaction?


In my fathers house, there are many rooms.........

The fathers house is the universe. Planets are the rooms. We think we are alone in the universe. But, we don't know that for sure. I will not be shocked in the least little bit if, when I get to Heaven, I find out that there are thousands of inhabited worlds.


June 15th, 2011, 9:54 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: Astronomy/Scientific Question
aughsum wrote:
So.. To put these into chronological order - judiasm, Islam, Greek/roman gods, Christianity, Scientology, church of the flying spagetti monster - that might be wrong but I'm not going to look it up. They can't coexist, yet Christianity was formed after the religions you claim are "wrong" (which you can't possibly know). Christianity's religious work (the bible) is a Plagerization of many other religious works from many other religions.. Look it up.


Now put them in contextual order. Judaism and Christianity were the same religion until they split over disagreement regarding Jesus' Messiah-ship. If you split Judaism from Christianity and remove the OT then you effectively eliminated Christianities base. The NT talks about the fulfillement of the OT prophecy through Christ.

Maybe you should have done some better resaearch when you went through this?

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


June 16th, 2011, 9:41 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: Astronomy/Scientific Question
aughsum wrote:
Serious question: mankind discovers extra terrestrial life - religious folk, what is your reaction?


Serious question: Where is the seeming contradiction?

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


June 16th, 2011, 9:42 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 10004
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Astronomy/Scientific Question
Well since God created man in his image, wouldn't intelligent ETs also look like us? Or are we to believe that out of all the intelligent life in the universe, likely including those far more intelligent than us, we are the only one's created in the image of God.

Here is what would happen, the ETs would laugh (if capable of laughter) at our silly notions of God.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


June 16th, 2011, 10:07 am
Profile WWW
Def. Coordinator – Teryl Austin
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 4202
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Astronomy/Scientific Question
wow Pablo Im kinda suprised at how closed minded you are about religion...you seem fairly open to everything else.

I guess I dont understand why aliens would be a conflict of faith. I never read the part of the bible that said we were the only intelligent life god created...we're just the favorites....so.....why would ET commin over for dinner cause a crysis? and why would he laugh? Do you really think other life forms wouldn't create their own faith based beilefs? Even if you were correct and it's all pretend, it's been there since th dawn of reason. Why would an alien race be any different..if they made it here, they'd have to have reason so.....

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


June 16th, 2011, 10:18 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: Astronomy/Scientific Question
You are now taking imaginary beings and assuming they don't have similar beliefs? bduh.gif

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


June 16th, 2011, 10:19 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: Astronomy/Scientific Question
regularjoe12 wrote:
wow Pablo Im kinda suprised at how closed minded you are about religion...you seem fairly open to everything else.

I guess I dont understand why aliens would be a conflict of faith. I never read the part of the bible that said we were the only intelligent life god created...we're just the favorites....so.....why would ET commin over for dinner cause a crysis? and why would he laugh? Do you really think other life forms wouldn't create their own faith based beilefs? Even if you were correct and it's all pretend, it's been there since th dawn of reason. Why would an alien race be any different..if they made it here, they'd have to have reason so.....


To make it worse, God talks about other created beings no living on this earth called angels. The precident is that God created MORE than just us.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


June 16th, 2011, 10:19 am
Profile
Def. Coordinator – Teryl Austin
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 4202
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Astronomy/Scientific Question
I was just thinkin that but figured someone would get their undies in a bunch if I compared angels to Aliens. :wink:

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


June 16th, 2011, 10:23 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: Astronomy/Scientific Question
Not me, what is the difference? Aliens are lifeforms not from this world, angels fit that catagory.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


June 16th, 2011, 10:26 am
Profile
Def. Coordinator – Teryl Austin
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 4202
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Astronomy/Scientific Question
my thoughts EXACTLY

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


June 16th, 2011, 10:27 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 10004
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Astronomy/Scientific Question
regularjoe12 wrote:
wow Pablo Im kinda suprised at how closed minded you are about religion...you seem fairly open to everything else.

I guess I dont understand why aliens would be a conflict of faith. I never read the part of the bible that said we were the only intelligent life god created...we're just the favorites....so.....why would ET commin over for dinner cause a crysis? and why would he laugh? Do you really think other life forms wouldn't create their own faith based beilefs? Even if you were correct and it's all pretend, it's been there since th dawn of reason. Why would an alien race be any different..if they made it here, they'd have to have reason so.....


Aliens comming to Earth, and actually communicating with us, would be a game changer. Why would they laugh, how bout your comment "we're just the favorites" - really? How egotistical would that sound to a much superior race? That would be like Parrots who could talk telling us the same thing.

I think other life forms could well create their own faith based beliefs, but eventually as their intelligence and knowledge base grows they outgrow those beliefs as well (as I believe most humans will eventually do).

I don't think I'm closed minded about religion at all. I've taken pieces of many different religions and incorporated them into my daily life despite my lack of belief. There are many wonderful qualities and learnings in Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism and even the more ancient ones like Shamanism and more recent ones like Scientology. I both pray (in a little different sense) and meditate daily. Both of my boys have been baptised in a Catholic Church and currently attend a Methodist school (and are in Bible camp this week as a matter of fact). Within the last year I've attended masses at a Catholic, Methodist, Baptist, and non-denominational Church. Does that sound closed minded to you? Or is that more open minded than folks who only pursue one faith?

I see most current belief systems in the historical context of religion. I see the evolution of modern day belief to where we are today instead of the isolationism approach almost all believers fall prey to.

Again, I started out as a believer, because I'm open minded I followed the proof (or overwhelming lack of it along with lack of logic) to the path of a non-believer. From your perspective, God gave me free will. He also then lead me down this path. It isn't I don't want to believe, but rather that I see zero reason to. I'm sorry you see that as being closed minded, perhaps you are right, but we approach the subject from opposite ends of the spectrum. I can, however, see it from your side having once believed - can you see it from my side at all or have you always believed?

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


June 16th, 2011, 10:51 am
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

Joined: April 1st, 2009, 9:37 pm
Posts: 312
Post Re: Astronomy/Scientific Question
steensn wrote:
You are now taking imaginary beings and assuming they don't have similar beliefs? bduh.gif


I'm not assuming anything about their beliefs - you think alien life is imaginary? At this point it is but you don't think anything is out there? That's what I was getting at with the question - a lot of Christians I've met are completely against the possibility of alien life, despite the fact it defies logic. I've even met some who don't believe dinosaurs existed and think earth is 5000 years old.

That is the first time I've heard angels referred to as aliens, but I guess that would be accurate, if they existed.


Last edited by anon749244 on June 16th, 2011, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.



June 16th, 2011, 10:53 am
Profile
Varsity Captain

Joined: April 1st, 2009, 9:37 pm
Posts: 312
Post Re: Astronomy/Scientific Question
Pablo wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
wow Pablo Im kinda suprised at how closed minded you are about religion...you seem fairly open to everything else.

I guess I dont understand why aliens would be a conflict of faith. I never read the part of the bible that said we were the only intelligent life god created...we're just the favorites....so.....why would ET commin over for dinner cause a crysis? and why would he laugh? Do you really think other life forms wouldn't create their own faith based beilefs? Even if you were correct and it's all pretend, it's been there since th dawn of reason. Why would an alien race be any different..if they made it here, they'd have to have reason so.....


Aliens comming to Earth, and actually communicating with us, would be a game changer. Why would they laugh, how bout your comment "we're just the favorites" - really? How egotistical would that sound to a much superior race? That would be like Parrots who could talk telling us the same thing.

I think other life forms could well create their own faith based beliefs, but eventually as their intelligence and knowledge base grows they outgrow those beliefs as well (as I believe most humans will eventually do).

I don't think I'm closed minded about religion at all. I've taken pieces of many different religions and incorporated them into my daily life despite my lack of belief. There are many wonderful qualities and learnings in Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism and even the more ancient ones like Shamanism and more recent ones like Scientology. I both pray (in a little different sense) and meditate daily. Both of my boys have been baptised in a Catholic Church and currently attend a Methodist school (and are in Bible camp this week as a matter of fact). Within the last year I've attended masses at a Catholic, Methodist, Baptist, and non-denominational Church. Does that sound closed minded to you? Or is that more open minded than folks who only pursue one faith?

I see most current belief systems in the historical context of religion. I see the evolution of modern day belief to where we are today instead of the isolationism approach almost all believers fall prey to.

Again, I started out as a believer, because I'm open minded I followed the proof (or overwhelming lack of it along with lack of logic) to the path of a non-believer. From your perspective, God gave me free will. He also then lead me down this path. It isn't I don't want to believe, but rather that I see zero reason to. I'm sorry you see that as being closed minded, perhaps you are right, but we approach the subject from opposite ends of the spectrum. I can, however, see it from your side having once believed - can you see it from my side at all or have you always believed?


Like.


June 16th, 2011, 10:58 am
Profile
Def. Coordinator – Teryl Austin
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 4202
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Astronomy/Scientific Question
Pablo wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
wow Pablo Im kinda suprised at how closed minded you are about religion...you seem fairly open to everything else.

I guess I dont understand why aliens would be a conflict of faith. I never read the part of the bible that said we were the only intelligent life god created...we're just the favorites....so.....why would ET commin over for dinner cause a crysis? and why would he laugh? Do you really think other life forms wouldn't create their own faith based beilefs? Even if you were correct and it's all pretend, it's been there since th dawn of reason. Why would an alien race be any different..if they made it here, they'd have to have reason so.....


Aliens comming to Earth, and actually communicating with us, would be a game changer. Why would they laugh, how bout your comment "we're just the favorites" - really? How egotistical would that sound to a much superior race? That would be like Parrots who could talk telling us the same thing.

I think other life forms could well create their own faith based beliefs, but eventually as their intelligence and knowledge base grows they outgrow those beliefs as well (as I believe most humans will eventually do).

I don't think I'm closed minded about religion at all. I've taken pieces of many different religions and incorporated them into my daily life despite my lack of belief. There are many wonderful qualities and learnings in Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism and even the more ancient ones like Shamanism and more recent ones like Scientology. I both pray (in a little different sense) and meditate daily. Both of my boys have been baptised in a Catholic Church and currently attend a Methodist school (and are in Bible camp this week as a matter of fact). Within the last year I've attended masses at a Catholic, Methodist, Baptist, and non-denominational Church. Does that sound closed minded to you? Or is that more open minded than folks who only pursue one faith?

I see most current belief systems in the historical context of religion. I see the evolution of modern day belief to where we are today instead of the isolationism approach almost all believers fall prey to.

Again, I started out as a believer, because I'm open minded I followed the proof (or overwhelming lack of it along with lack of logic) to the path of a non-believer. From your perspective, God gave me free will. He also then lead me down this path. It isn't I don't want to believe, but rather that I see zero reason to. I'm sorry you see that as being closed minded, perhaps you are right, but we approach the subject from opposite ends of the spectrum. I can, however, see it from your side having once believed - can you see it from my side at all or have you always believed?


Oh I absolutly get where yer comming from, thats why I generally dont have any arguments for ya, save this one that confused me. I guess Im getting the "close minded" part of it form some of your responses. Probably due more to my own imaginations. SOmetimes Your responses sound simlar to.....good lord whats his name, theguy from Politically Incorrect...Bill MAhr I think? ill pay a bit more attention in the fiture and try and get that comparison out of my head.

As for the favorites part though...if god does exist as I believe..someone HAS to be favorites..why not us...and here's another though that alien watchers HATE.
SO with all the planets out there it is safe to say there HAS to be life out there SOMEWHERE....odds are just too good right? Why does everyone assume that someone else will be the first to space travel though? someone has to be first, thats a fact, but why is it so rediculous for us to be the first ones? If we were (and I know thats kinda a big if, but no less theoretical than aliens comming HERE)it COULD suppport the "favorite" concept, no?

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


June 16th, 2011, 11:27 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 10004
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Astronomy/Scientific Question
regularjoe12 wrote:
Pablo wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
wow Pablo Im kinda suprised at how closed minded you are about religion...you seem fairly open to everything else.

I guess I dont understand why aliens would be a conflict of faith. I never read the part of the bible that said we were the only intelligent life god created...we're just the favorites....so.....why would ET commin over for dinner cause a crysis? and why would he laugh? Do you really think other life forms wouldn't create their own faith based beilefs? Even if you were correct and it's all pretend, it's been there since th dawn of reason. Why would an alien race be any different..if they made it here, they'd have to have reason so.....


Aliens comming to Earth, and actually communicating with us, would be a game changer. Why would they laugh, how bout your comment "we're just the favorites" - really? How egotistical would that sound to a much superior race? That would be like Parrots who could talk telling us the same thing.

I think other life forms could well create their own faith based beliefs, but eventually as their intelligence and knowledge base grows they outgrow those beliefs as well (as I believe most humans will eventually do).

I don't think I'm closed minded about religion at all. I've taken pieces of many different religions and incorporated them into my daily life despite my lack of belief. There are many wonderful qualities and learnings in Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism and even the more ancient ones like Shamanism and more recent ones like Scientology. I both pray (in a little different sense) and meditate daily. Both of my boys have been baptised in a Catholic Church and currently attend a Methodist school (and are in Bible camp this week as a matter of fact). Within the last year I've attended masses at a Catholic, Methodist, Baptist, and non-denominational Church. Does that sound closed minded to you? Or is that more open minded than folks who only pursue one faith?

I see most current belief systems in the historical context of religion. I see the evolution of modern day belief to where we are today instead of the isolationism approach almost all believers fall prey to.

Again, I started out as a believer, because I'm open minded I followed the proof (or overwhelming lack of it along with lack of logic) to the path of a non-believer. From your perspective, God gave me free will. He also then lead me down this path. It isn't I don't want to believe, but rather that I see zero reason to. I'm sorry you see that as being closed minded, perhaps you are right, but we approach the subject from opposite ends of the spectrum. I can, however, see it from your side having once believed - can you see it from my side at all or have you always believed?


Oh I absolutly get where yer comming from, thats why I generally dont have any arguments for ya, save this one that confused me. I guess Im getting the "close minded" part of it form some of your responses. Probably due more to my own imaginations. SOmetimes Your responses sound simlar to.....good lord whats his name, theguy from Politically Incorrect...Bill MAhr I think? ill pay a bit more attention in the fiture and try and get that comparison out of my head.

As for the favorites part though...if god does exist as I believe..someone HAS to be favorites..why not us...and here's another though that alien watchers HATE.
SO with all the planets out there it is safe to say there HAS to be life out there SOMEWHERE....odds are just too good right? Why does everyone assume that someone else will be the first to space travel though? someone has to be first, thats a fact, but why is it so rediculous for us to be the first ones? If we were (and I know thats kinda a big if, but no less theoretical than aliens comming HERE)it COULD suppport the "favorite" concept, no?


I'm sure I go a little overboard to make my points as well. I coach both my son's soccer team, to demonstrate a point I have to exaggerate the movement - I'm kind of doing the same thing here.

We assume that someone else would travel first because we are so far off from a technical standpoint that if it is going to happen at any point in the near future it isn't going to be us. Look, our space shuttle program is no longer going to be getting off the ground. Humans haven't even visited the nearest planet, getting beyond our solar system isn't a remote possibility.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


June 16th, 2011, 11:46 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 368 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 25  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.