View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 19th, 2018, 7:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 South Park coming to an end. 
Def. Coordinator – Teryl Austin

Post Re: South Park coming to an end.
no devi...err warrior I couldn't disagree with you more.

First off, your example....Hilarious! But like i've said dozens of times..I have no class.

2nd off, you are thinking too old school. Saying cartoons are for kids is like saying video games are for kids. While 20 years ago that may have been true thats simply not anymore. On the cartoon network after ten when the kiddies should be in bed they still show cartoons, but they are for adults. The overall programming is called "Adult Swim". The simpsons were a huge factor in showing that adults enjoy cartoons, and with cartoons you can tell a story without all that silly reality nonsense getting in the way. :wink:

You cant look at how a show is produced to determine who is directed at, you have to look at the content itself. Amderican Dad, South Park, Family Guy, Futurama, Robot Chicken, these shows arnt meant for kids,they are meant for me. If Kids are watching, you dont get mad at the show, you get mad at the parents for not paying attention to their children.

June 10th, 2011, 11:11 am
RIP Killer

I will add, even if cartoons aren't always FOR kids, they attract kids by being cartoons.

June 10th, 2011, 11:14 am

so do guns because of the way we portray them in movies and on TV.....

The answer is still better education for the children, not the actual shows, or guns themselves.

EDIT: scratch that, education is not the right word...PARENTING thats the right word! With better PARENTING none of this would ever be an issue...

June 10th, 2011, 11:18 am
RIP Killer

I don't disagree, but understanding what kids are drawn too helps a parent willing to parent do a good job. I agree with you on that stuff.

June 10th, 2011, 11:21 am
Martha Firestone Ford

All of those shows are just such good moral compasses.

I realize that these shows are aimed at adults. But, that doesn't make them any less trashy. And even adults can be immature and start living what they watch.

Does watching even 1 episode of any of those shows help you get into Heaven? Or does it hurt your chances?

June 10th, 2011, 11:31 am
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:

I realize that these shows are aimed at adults. But, that doesn't make them any less trashy. And even adults can be immature and start living what they watch.

Does watching even 1 episode of any of those shows help you get into Heaven? Or does it hurt your chances?

No impact on your chances for one of two reasons, first Heaven is a fictional place and second, even if it did passage into said place is based on belief, not the types of television shows you watch. Simply repent for those 30 minutes for a "get into heaven free" card. Gotta love Chrisitanity, kinda like hiting the "EASY" button from Staples for forgiveness.

June 10th, 2011, 11:49 am
Profile WWW
Martha Firestone Ford

Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:

No impact on your chances for one of two reasons, first Heaven is a fictional place and second, even if it did passage into said place is based on belief, not the types of television shows you watch. Simply repent for those 30 minutes for a "get into heaven free" card. Gotta love Chrisitanity, kinda like hiting the "EASY" button from Staples for forgiveness.

Well, yes it is. But, that doesn't mean that you get a free pass on the consequences of your sins while you are still alive and on Earth.

June 10th, 2011, 12:24 pm
RIP Killer

Accept it isn't Pablo unless you want to trivialize the extent to which the Bible claims a decision to follow Jesus should start to change your life and how you'll be asked to do things that are not confortable to the extent of giving up your own life for another.

June 10th, 2011, 12:32 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
Well, yes it is. But, that doesn't mean that you get a free pass on the consequences of your sins while you are still alive and on Earth.

So the consequences of watching an episode of South Park would be?

steensn wrote:
Accept it isn't Pablo unless you want to trivialize the extent to which the Bible claims a decision to follow Jesus should start to change your life and how you'll be asked to do things that are not confortable to the extent of giving up your own life for another.

Of course I'm trivializing it, we are talking about South Park aren't we?

June 10th, 2011, 12:47 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

We were until someone brought up something about Christianity having a free pass which is a half truth.

June 10th, 2011, 12:53 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
We were until someone brought up something about Christianity having a free pass which is a half truth.

Come on, I was simply reacting to someone bringing up South Park and how it might impact your chances of getting into heaven.

If you want to be serious, lets get serious then:

John 3:36 "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life"

So you basically just have to believe in Jesus and repent (Mark 1:15). I just assumed anyone who repents in the name of Jesus, actually believes int he first place. That is, however, irrelevant as the answer to the question remains the same - no impact.

June 10th, 2011, 1:03 pm
Profile WWW

Pablo I disagree with you on the fictisousness of Heaven..but I respect your right to an oppinon about it.

Billy....No watching South Park will not hinder your chances in heaven...It's what you do that determines that...and I've been watching the show since it's inception and have yet tot try and kill anyone named kenny. See I am responsible for my actions not the show and it in no way shpe or form corrupts my view on whats right or wrong. But what it does do is entertain the crap outa me!

June 10th, 2011, 1:11 pm
RIP Killer

Yes, you just have to believe and repent but to truly believe and repent means you are making a life change (note I didn't say become perfect). The Bible also says:

"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven." Matthew 7:21

So looking at it as a whole body of work from one author (God) as it claims it is clear that many will think they are saved with a free pass but really not be because they didn't really believe and be transformed.

June 10th, 2011, 1:18 pm
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Easy folks, I'm already catching heat for being too preachy, please don't let my response lead you to hijack this one too!

Pablo I understand your beliefs, but I believe you are scarred by your upbringing.

Case in point: The local catholic church in the area has claimed it is a mortal sin to miss mass. If that were true, how many dead catholics would be scattered across the country? What's a C and E Catholic?

The institution of religion has done MUCH to burden mankind with traditions, and rituals that have literally removed the heart or relationship. It has now become a duty instead of a choice, and so many are falling away because their love has grown cold. I believe with all my heart that you fall into this category, (Even though I dont know you personally.) That is why I'm focused on praying for you.

Getting back on topic: I agree that this is a parenting issue, but babies having babies, and the perpetual continuance of such is only exaserbated by such programming (I believe I have officially used up my big words allotment for the year in one statement.) Is this the cause no, is it a contributor I'd say yes. But so are many other factors of this society.

I liked someone's statement about a moral compass. This entertainment driven society feasts on Real World Sex, Highly Sexualized programming and sales techniques, and then we wonder why the predators are out there. DUH???

I just think my old school thinking is more relevant than ever, and that is why I see these shows as a waste. But that is my opinion.

Oh and just for the sake of argument, I would NOT suggest replacing them with religious programming that would be ridiculous. Just thought I'd throw that in for color.

Acts 4:13, 1 Cor. 2:1-5, Rom. 12:1-2

June 10th, 2011, 1:45 pm

never said anything about a free pass....I just said that I am respnosible for my actions...not some show. and the bible also clearly states that a sense of humor is a good thing..Jesus also say that jokes about the father and the son are acceptable....the only thing specifically metioned about being offlimits joke wise is the holy spirit...so me thinks the preacher needs to step back of the soap box and let the flock enjoy life a little eh?

June 10th, 2011, 1:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next