View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 25th, 2014, 11:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Yummy. Who wants a steak? 

Would you eat a poop steak?
Yes 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
No 67%  67%  [ 6 ]
I already have 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Yummy. Who wants a steak? 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Yummy. Who wants a steak?
OK. I just have to know. Would you eat a poop steak?

Quote:
Steak Made from Human Excrement: Is It Safe?
LiveScience.com – Fri Jun 17, 6:15 pm ET

The mere idea is stomach-churning: creating food from human feces.

But researchers in Japan say they have done just that. They have synthesized meat from proteins found in human waste, according to news reports.

While the concept of chowing down on steak derived from poop may not exactly be appetizing, we wondered: is this meat safe?

In theory, yes, experts say. But the meat must be cooked, which will kill any noxious pathogens before you eat it.

"In the food safety world we say, 'don't eat poop,'" said Douglas Powell, a professor of food safety at Kansas State University. "But if you're going to, make sure it's cooked."

The Japanese researchers isolated proteins from bacteria in sewage. The poop-meat concoction is prepared by extracting the basic elements of food — protein, carbohydrates and fats — and recombining them.

The meat is made from 63 percent proteins, 25 percent carbohydrates, 3 percent lipids and 9 percent minerals, according to Digital Trends. Soy protein is added to the mix to increase the flavor, and food coloring is used to make the product appear red.

The researchers came up with the idea after Tokyo Sewage asked them to figure out a use for the abundance of sewage in mud, Digital Trends says.

Powell is not familiar with the researchers' method, but said he guesses that they are first heat-treating the sewage before they reap its resources.

Powell said the idea is not all that different from eating plants that have been fertilized with manure or other excrement, because the nutrients in the poop become part of the plants.

"Theoretically, there's nothing wrong with this," Powell said. "It could be quite safe to eat, but I'm sure there's a yuck factor there," he said.

However, Powell said there is the potential for cross contamination in the laboratory where the poop meat is made. That's why it's a good thing the meat will eventually be cooked.

But what if the final product was not going to be cooked?

"I wouldn’t touch it, " Powell said.

Pass it on: Meat made from poop is safe, but you should cook it before you eat it.

This story was provided by MyHealthNewsDaily. Follow MyHealthNewsDaily staff writer Rachael Rettner on Twitter @RachaelRettner.

June 18th, 2011, 1:32 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: Yummy. Who wants a steak?
ok this confirms it..the radiation leak in Japan has made those people retarded!

June 18th, 2011, 9:40 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Don't give steensn any ideas. You see, livestock creates methane, which adds to greenhouse gases and the global warming fraud. A post like this may encourage him to advocate for poop or something. We already know that he likes "beef", but the other end might be just as appealing to him. :lol:

June 18th, 2011, 11:47 am
RIP Killer

Good thing I've never supported global warming or I'd be offended....

June 18th, 2011, 1:38 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Ok. Who said yes? Man up. The masses must know who would eat a poop steak.

June 18th, 2011, 4:43 pm
RIP Killer

I said yes two. This is a huge link to call it poop steak... so I'd try it.

June 18th, 2011, 6:38 pm
QB Coach

I'd try it. Like the article said, it's the same as eating food fertilized by manure. We've all done that.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

June 18th, 2011, 7:15 pm
Afghan Allstar

I don't know that I'd call it the same. Fertilization is a naturally occurring process. This...not so much.

June 18th, 2011, 7:18 pm
RIP Killer

Last time I checked, cows and steer were not on the endangered species list. So I'd have to give this one a big NO.

June 19th, 2011, 9:38 am
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
Last time I checked, cows and steer were not on the endangered species list. So I'd have to give this one a big NO.

I want the tastiest and healthiest food possible. If we can make food that is tasty, healthy, cheap, and easy to mass produce we can make food for the masses healthier. That being said, you'll never be able to just replace a good steak, so it isn't a total replacement... but food like nasty McDonalds hamburger might be cheaper and healthier to eat if made with this stuff and still taste just as crappy. Everyone wins...

I will say I have doubts on the potential for it to really be much if a replacement, but if it can replace something like ground beef that is a huge gain for everyone. We could sustainably make food that is healthy and plentiful for Africa and other countries lacking the ability to feed everyone.

June 19th, 2011, 12:49 pm
Hall of Fame Player

steensn wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

I want the tastiest and healthiest food possible. If we can make food that is tasty, healthy, cheap, and easy to mass produce we can make food for the masses healthier. That being said, you'll never be able to just replace a good steak, so it isn't a total replacement... but food like nasty McDonalds hamburger might be cheaper and healthier to eat if made with this stuff and still taste just as crappy. Everyone wins...

I will say I have doubts on the potential for it to really be much if a replacement, but if it can replace something like ground beef that is a huge gain for everyone. We could sustainably make food that is healthy and plentiful for Africa and other countries lacking the ability to feed everyone.

ROFL. The cure for 3rd world hunger. Take their own poop and convert it into poop steaks and send it back to them. ROFL. And people got offended when Rush Limbaugh responded to the accusation that Republicans wanted the elderly to have to eat canned dog food by saying that he would provide a can opener for his mom. LOL.

June 19th, 2011, 11:01 pm
RIP Killer

If people need to eat, then dog food is not a bad choice.

June 19th, 2011, 11:13 pm
Modmin Dude

steensn wrote:

rather tasty too
(dont ask)

June 19th, 2011, 11:13 pm
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
steensn wrote:

rather tasty too
(dont ask)

It's all in people heads... you can say anything in such a way that people go "ew."

June 20th, 2011, 9:46 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

for example "poop steaks"....ew

June 20th, 2011, 6:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next