View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 6:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Is it time to legalize? 
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Is it time to legalize?
regularjoe12 wrote:
Quote:
Yes, the drug laws are racially biased, even today. For example, the same amount/weight of powder cocaine and crack cocaine will get 2 completely different penalties with crack being worse. According to statistics, whites are the majority that use powder and blacks are the majority that use crack. Now, does that seem at all fair or balanced? Not IMO.

but therin lies the rube..Crack is cheaper...THATS why it's more dominantly used amonst the poverty levels...once again..the only color involved is green. Cocain is generally used by not only whites, but middle to upper class whites. it's not a racism thing, its a financial thing. to fix that problem is a whole different thread IMO.

Is it??? It contains less cocaine than powder does, therefore it contains less illegal substance than powder does, so why the discrepancy in sentencing/penalties?

July 21st, 2011, 3:43 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

the additional chemicals added are much more dangerous is my guess. but that IS a guess..Plus Crack is significantly more dangerous. It does cause more extremely eratic behavior, cases even MORE health issues than Coke, and is genreally considered a more dangerous drug. ( what I do knwo for a fact is crack makes ya uglier...it gives it's users the ""itches" and they scratch and scratch and scratch. thats how you can identify a crackhead as appiosed to a coke head...crack heads have open sores from the scratchin.)

July 21st, 2011, 3:58 pm
RIP Killer

Yes, it would knock down a lot of bunghole immigrant drug dealers ruining our country

July 21st, 2011, 11:53 pm
Hall of Fame Player

aughsum wrote:
We all interpet the bible differently, I interpet the apple from the tree of knowledge as weed.

Note!!! My following statement is not biblical. It is my personal theory. So don't take this as any sort of preaching from the Bible.

Actually, no-one knows if it was even an apple.

And I interpret that "eating of the tree of knowledge" is that they had sex. The fruit? A cherry. When someone loses their virginity, aren't they said to have lost there cherry?

Also, have you ever heard the statement that " she would screw a snake if someone would hold it still for her"? That came from somewhere. The serpent in the garden of Eden?

The Bible is unclear on the whole tree of knowledge and what it actually was. But, that is understandable if it was along the lines of my interpretation. The Bible just would not give that kind of gory details on that type of subject.

August 10th, 2011, 8:55 am
RIP Killer

Your right... there is nothing to support that from the Bible ;)

But it is clear that it says it is a fruit and that it was good for food. If you want to claim it was allegory... just say so. I believe it was allegory as well just in the sense the story was to convey that we are all born sinners.

August 10th, 2011, 9:57 am
Hall of Fame Player

steensn wrote:
Your right... there is nothing to support that from the Bible ;)

But it is clear that it says it is a fruit and that it was good for food. If you want to claim it was allegory... just say so. I believe it was allegory as well just in the sense the story was to convey that we are all born sinners.

I almost always denote that it is my own personal theory when I am talking about something alluding to the Bible.

August 10th, 2011, 10:41 am
Varsity Captain

I think our own personal experiences set our interpetaions of the bible.. Different things mean different things to different people.

August 10th, 2011, 11:48 am
RIP Killer

And people are capable of forming their own beliefs, as I admit I have a few areas I do. But those go directly against the clear intent of the original author.

August 10th, 2011, 12:07 pm
Varsity Captain

Which no one knows the purpose or legitimacy of.

August 10th, 2011, 1:00 pm
RIP Killer

BS... the intent is clear. Had they intended something else they would have written it in a different way. We make things an issue by adding our own opinions to it to "shed more light" on what we think the end truth is. There is ZERO doubt that the writer of Genesis actually thought the creation story was actually as it was written. Any attempt question that is idiotic, the intent is clear. The FACTS may be that the writer was given something that was allegory about creation, but the writer was clear on what the people of the time considered the facts of creation to be. They had NOTHING to compare it to, no science to question it to think it might be allegory. There is ZERO chance they had any other thoughts regarding it's factuality.

Any attempt top modify that is using your own personal beliefs to interpret what the actual facts may be. The only danger is that you change the truth that the writings at minimum intended to convey. Facts can change, but truth cannot.

August 10th, 2011, 2:26 pm
Modmin Dude

steensn wrote:
BS... the intent is clear. Had they intended something else they would have written it in a different way. We make things an issue by adding our own opinions to it to "shed more light" on what we think the end truth is. There is ZERO doubt that the writer of Genesis actually thought the creation story was actually as it was written. Any attempt question that is idiotic, the intent is clear. The FACTS may be that the writer was given something that was allegory about creation, but the writer was clear on what the people of the time considered the facts of creation to be. They had NOTHING to compare it to, no science to question it to think it might be allegory. There is ZERO chance they had any other thoughts regarding it's factuality.

Any attempt top modify that is using your own personal beliefs to interpret what the actual facts may be. The only danger is that you change the truth that the writings at minimum intended to convey. Facts can change, but truth cannot.
aughsum wrote:

Back on topic please. Thanks!

August 10th, 2011, 2:52 pm
Varsity Captain

steensn wrote:

You're doing the same thing, warping something you cannot possibly know to justify your own personal beliefs.

August 10th, 2011, 3:36 pm
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
steensn wrote:

aughsum wrote:

Back on topic please. Thanks!

Fair enough!

August 10th, 2011, 4:22 pm
Modmin Dude

The Hill wrote:
If Obama can't articulate his position on marijuana, why won't he reconsider it?
By Paul Armentano, deputy director of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML)
08/17/11 08:48 AM ET

Regardless of one's opinion of President Obama as a political figure, few deny his skill as an eloquent orator. So it is notable, even newsworthy, when the commander-in-chief is publicly at a loss for words.

Such was the case on Monday at a presidential town hall in Cannon Falls, Minnesota when a flustered, tongue-tied Obama attempted in vain to explain why the administration continues to oppose efforts to allow for the legal use of marijuana as a doctor-recommended medicine. (Watch the full video of the town hall here. The question from the audience pertaining to medical medical cannabis and Obama's response is at the 49-minute mark.)

Confused? Perhaps this transcript will help to better explain the president's position:

Quote:
Audience member: "If you can't legalize marijuana, why can't we just legalize medical marijuana, to help the people that need it?"

Obama: "Well, you know, a lot of states are making decisions about medical marijuana. As a controlled substance, the issue then is, you know, is it being prescribed by a doctor, as opposed to, you know -- well -- I'll -- I'll -- I'll -- I'll leave it at that."

And leave it at that he did.

It is noteworthy that President Obama -- someone who is used to speaking extemporaneously in public -- could not provide one single legitimate reason why his administration believes in continuing the federal ban on marijuana, including the use of medical marijuana for ill patients. Obama's failure to communicate becomes even more curious when one considers that within just the past few weeks, high-profile members of the his administration have publicly put forward several explanations for why the federal government is in the business of denying marijuana to sick people.

For instance, the White House's 2011 National Drug Control Strategy, released in July, devoted an entire section to rebuffing the notion that cannabis may hold value as a legitimate therapy, stating:

“Marijuana and other drugs are addictive and unsafe, especially for use by young people. Unfortunately, efforts to ‘medicalize’ marijuana have widened the public acceptance and availability of the drug.

“There is no substitute for the scientific approval process employed by the FDA. For a drug to be made available to the public as medicine, the FDA requires rigorous research followed by tests for safety and efficacy. Only then can a substance be classified as medicine and prescribed by qualified health care professionals to patients.

“In the wake of state and local laws that permit distribution of "medical" marijuana, dozens of localities have been left to grapple with poorly written laws that bypass the FDA process and allow marijuana to be used as a so-called medicine. ... Outside the context of federally approved research, the use and distribution of marijuana is prohibited in the United States.”

Moreover, less than one-month ago, Obama's hand-picked DEA Administrator Michele Leonhart formally denied a nine-year-old petition calling on the agency to initiate hearings to reassess the present classification of marijuana as a schedule I controlled substance without any 'accepted medical use in treatment.' Leonhart's explanation, as stated in the July 8, 2011 edition of the Federal Register was:

“[Cannabis possesses] a high potential for abuse; ... no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States; ... [and] lacks accepted safety for use under medical supervision. ... [T]here are no adequate and well-controlled studies proving its efficacy; the drug is not accepted by qualified experts. ... At this time, the known risks of marijuana use have not been shown to be outweighed by specific benefits in well-controlled clinical trials that scientifically evaluate safety and efficacy.”

So if the Obama administration is willing to make such allegations in writing, then why is the president afraid to own up to and repeat these claims in public? Likely because he, like a majority of Americans, are aware that there isn't a shred of scientific support for the administration's 'Flat Earth' position when it comes to pot.

So if the president of the United States can't publicly articulate why we continue to arrest over one-half million Americans each year for possessing marijuana, then why are we as a nation continuing to engage in this destructive and illogical policy?

Paul Armentano is the deputy director of NORML, the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, and is the co-author of the book Marijuana Is Safer: So Why Are We Driving People to Drink? (2009, Chelsea Green).

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/ ... onsider-it

August 19th, 2011, 10:53 am
RIP Killer

Is most medicine regulated by the National Gov't or States? If so, why can't we leave it up to the FDA? If it is medicine, why do we need a national law passed? Can't the FDA just regulate it if it is necessary just like every other drug? I really get confused on this issue because the people fighting for medical marijuana don't need it... they are recreational users who want a stepping stone to making it legal.

I DO find it telling though that in states where it is made illegal... it is far less controlled than much more dangerous substances we use for medicine everyday. That tells me that it is really not that harmful like everyone wanted to make it out to be.

Further, if Obama wants to leave it up to the states... then he should call off the federal attack dogs busting medical growers in CA....

I haven't taken a position yet on this... I think a lot of things are ok in moderation and people that abuse it make a bad name for things. But I can smell hypocrisy when I see it and this is one that reeks of it.

August 19th, 2011, 11:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next