View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 5:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 U.S., IEA to Release Oil from Reserves 
Varsity Captain

Post Re: U.S., IEA to Release Oil from Reserves
njroar wrote:
Says the person who wanted a thread deleted because he opened up too much.... Why so serious?

I open up too much when I'm not high, I said some things that I didn't want to be out there.. And your problem with that is.. What?

Mods, when members ask you to do something in confidence, passing that onto other members will just fuel the fire you're allegedly trying to put out (based on the sticky from last week).

June 27th, 2011, 10:43 am
Player of the Year - Offense

Quote:
I'm also making an rectum out of myself, but its by giving people way too much information about myself - the difference is that i dont really care

No one said a thing. It just doesn't take a genius to put 2 and 2 together. You post that, then within the day, the thread's locked. When we rarely lock threads that aren't duplicates. The i don't really care part was hilarious though.

But if you really claim sarcasm... Then why try to derail the thread intentionally? Disagree on a political level so intense that the only way to argue against it is to make it sound racist?

June 27th, 2011, 11:03 am
Player of the Year - Offense

I'm not judging, i'm stating the obvious... And all i did was ask a question.... That you didn't answer, so i'll ask again...

If you really claim sarcasm... Then why try to derail the thread intentionally? Disagree on a political level so intense that the only way to argue against it is to make it sound racist?

June 27th, 2011, 11:10 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Now this thread is starting to be derailed too. Keep it on topic folks.

June 27th, 2011, 2:25 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Blueskies wrote:
The uncertainty argument is interesting, and makes sense to some extent, but I don't think its a primary cause for the economic malaise.

I've know many entrepreneurs and small business owners, had some in my family; worked for others.

The one thing they always had in common was this unshaken certainty about their current business. Which is why most of them have gone bankrupt multiple times.

A business will hire a worker when they can make more money from the workers activity than the worker earns in wages. Adding additional taxes and regulations obviously decreases employment, because it effectively raises the wages of the worker. However, I don't think anyone sits up at night thinking, "I can't expand because my taxes might increase next year!" Entrepreneurs deal with uncertainty all the time--nothing in the market is ever certain.

The economy of the last decade was built on building houses and having consumers spend borrowed money derived largely from those homes.

That's a faulty and unsustainable economic premise. When things finally came to a head in 08 and the market began to collapse, it was a signal that the market needed to shift into another direction.

But, rather than allow things to work themselves out, the government and Fed intervened with massive stimulus to prevent the collapse from fully playing out. This minimized the damage, but has created 3 years of this economic sluggishness.

Same thing happened in the great depression, which is why it persisted for 15 years.

Blueskies, I understand what you're saying here and you are correct on many points. But, I'm gonna try to swing this back on topic toward oil regarding uncertainty. Everyone knows (and hates) the big oil companies, but what about the little guys who speculate, drill, then sell their efforts once they hit a gusher? These are the small business types I'm talking about, and I really couldn't care less about most corporations.

Other than a pizza joint or gas station owner, most small businesses project out their costs over 5-10 years before deciding to expand or not. If an oil exploration company is uncertain about what their tax rates, medical costs, employee wages, and regulatory compliance costs will be in the future, will they be willing to bid on the next possible oil field's rights? Or will they even set up a second drill on a site they already hold the rights to? This is what is keeping many businesses in check at the moment. They have no idea what is coming next.

June 28th, 2011, 12:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3