View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 31st, 2014, 7:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 NY passes marriage equality 
QB Coach

Post Re: NY passes marriage equality
WarEr4Christ wrote:
Actually Sly, this applies to you and Pablo in some of your thinking as well, but that's for another thread, but pay attention to verse 20.

But I'd like to be a fly on the wall of that chat room, when that grenade goes off. Those turd chasers are going break out in a huge meltdown.

Here's a logical question to ask: If being "gay" is natural, or a natural for them in their sexuality, then why do they dress in drag to appear as the "other sex" that is the true normal way? It is hypocritical to claim or act in a gay lifestyle, yet in order to attract or express their "homosexuality" they dress in the garb of the opposite sex. The same is true for the lesbians who dress manish to illustrate their preference.

In the end, it boils down to sin! We're not born gay, we're born with a sensitivity to sin, and many times it's in a particular area. Some rebellion, some anger, some lust, some gluttony and so on. It is our own sinful nature exposed and sometime highlighted in a particular area.

Wow, this is ignorant, bordering on offensive. Do you really think that all gay people dress in drag? Sure some do, but most do not. I can almost guarantee that you wouldn't be able to identify whether someone was gay or straight for most gay people. They're normal people, just like the rest of us. Sure, there are some people who dress in drag, but there are lots of straight people who do seemingly crazy things too.

You have no more right to tell someone that their sexual orientation isn't natural than I have a right to tell you whether or not your partner is right for you. It's none of my business, and none of yours. Here's a quick test for you: which of these guys is gay?

Image Image Image Image

Can you tell who's gay?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

July 16th, 2011, 10:01 am
RIP Killer

All of them.... jk!

But I will add, I have been close friends with many gay people and have had many different experiences. Of the 10ish friends I have had (some closer than others), 8 of the 10 portrayed clear homosexual stereotypes all of us could name off the top of our heads, all varying degrees mid you. I would say to ignore the chosen or not chosen actions and lifestyles being lived by many is to bury ones head in the sand to reality. In general, many homosexuals portray or take part in VERY stereotypical behavior and actions which non of us could resist noticing. It's something to think about... it's reality. Being gay doesn't ensure some stereotype... but too many live some stereotypical lifestyle or personality that it's hard to ignore it. Maybe it is a reaction to a culture that is more conservative... fact is is that we cannot act like there isn't something more going on culturally for gay communities than most "welcoming" people want to admit. Ever seen a gay pride parade? Ever compare that to regular parades? There is no question which is which.

July 16th, 2011, 5:11 pm
QB Coach

Climb off your high horse there TDJ, I was not doing a blanket statement for all gay individuals. But since you seem to think I went there, why is it that in a "domestic partnership" one of the two CLEARLY demonstrates the FEMININE characteristics or maneurisms, and the other does not?

What I am trying to illustrate is that in that culture, generally one partner is taking on the characteristics of a woman, all the while being fully man. It is a hypocritical stance.

As for your four pictures I could care less about still pictures and would not be able to tell you with any certainty who was what orientation. However, if I were to judge a tree by it's fruits, then i would need to see all four in action. By the way that they would carry themselves, there is a pretty good chance I could pick em out.

Wasn't trying to offend as much as bring to light a question in behavior.....

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

July 16th, 2011, 8:20 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

The idea that you can "choose" to be sexually attracted to someone is so ridiculousness its hard to qualify.

Most straight men cannot choose to be attracted to fat women. Same thing. Attraction is not a conscious choice.

July 18th, 2011, 6:31 pm
RIP Killer

I agree and disagree Blue... I think that makes it a little too much black and white. I think that we are all effected by our surroundings and though we may not technically "choose" who we are prone to be attracted to we are certainly effected by it.

But I think we are in agreement that many people are born with an attraction of different levels to the same sex.

July 18th, 2011, 7:38 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

regularjoe12 wrote:
steensn wrote:
njroar wrote:
It should just be called a union across the board for federal benefits and visitation rights in hospitals. Marriage itself is a religious ceremony, so the government shouldn't interfere. The constitution doesn't give the government the right to manage marriage or religion, so it shouldn't have gotten involved in the first place.

It's another race card for the dems to throw around. Just an excuse to call anyone who disagrees a bigot.

Bingo...

+1

We've had this debate before on this forum and we have proven that marriage is NOT a religious institution. The union of 2 people in a binding relationship ceremony has been practiced long before Jesus or Muhammad or Krishna or the Old Testament was written.
So your "marriage is a religious ceremony" B.S. isn't true.
People get married in courthouses, outhouses, and yes, even churches occasionally. But it is not a religious ceremony. Yes, I understand that Jewish weddings are different from Catholic weddings which are different from Sikh weddings and each religion has its own laws of marriage. But then, that only suggests that marriage is not exclusive to any one institution, further proving my point that marriage and religion aren't exclusive to each other, nor are they bound together in any way.
Just clearing up your misconception.

If marriage was really a religious institution, then all gay people would have to do is create their own religion, no? Develop their own religion and follow that set of beliefs and viola! If religion is necessary for a legal marriage, then create a religion! Joseph Smith did it; why not gays? Mormon marriages are legal under a religion that was fabricated fairly recently, then why not gays and whatever church they decide to create for themselves?

Mormons get married in this country, Jews, Catholics, Muslims, Buddhists... Why not create a religion and build chapels? Then you have your snazzy religion and everything is kosher (no pun intended).

Well, it could be that the problem isn't so much their lack of religion, but rather the disagreement with YOUR religion. Because of YOUR religious beliefs, you believe gays shouldn't marry. Here in this country, your rights end where another individual's rights begin. A right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness includes the privilege of legal marriage to a person of your choosing, with no interference from government or religious institutions.

But if they create and follow their own religion, you'd be ok with it, right? Because, to you, marriage is a religious ceremony. As long as all of the other crazy religions can marry here, why not the gays' religion?

"Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather." -Bill Hicks

July 21st, 2011, 1:54 am
Profile WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

For f*ck's sake, they let murderers get married IN PRISON in this country. There is no sanctity of marriage - it is not sacred in this country. All it takes is two bozos with a marriage license and an Elvis impersonator in Las Vegas.
It's not sacred, it's not specific to any religion and marriage means NOTHING except tax statuses. Get over it. Legal gay marriage will happen in your lifetime.
Is the world going to end if gays are allowed to get married? Will that make your god unhappy with you? I guess I've just never heard a valid argument that didn't involve religion against gay marriage.
If you can come up with a valid reason that gays can't be married that doesn't involve religion, lay it out here.

"Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather." -Bill Hicks

July 21st, 2011, 2:15 am
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

well while your rants are all well and good Mineral, that doesn't change the fact the too many advocates against gay marraige are clinging to the word marraige. doesn't really matter if you like it, as long as the word marraige is used a large % of the public is going to fight it. Change the terminology just a bit and a large portion of that goes away. plain and simple.

for too many people in this country it's about phonetics....if one side OR THE OTHER would just get off that one word a comprimise can be made and everything can be made fair. untill then......expect a fight, be it right or not, cuz there will be one.

July 21st, 2011, 8:47 am
RIP Killer

mineral723 wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
steensn wrote:
njroar wrote:
It should just be called a union across the board for federal benefits and visitation rights in hospitals. Marriage itself is a religious ceremony, so the government shouldn't interfere. The constitution doesn't give the government the right to manage marriage or religion, so it shouldn't have gotten involved in the first place.

It's another race card for the dems to throw around. Just an excuse to call anyone who disagrees a bigot.

Bingo...

+1

We've had this debate before on this forum and we have proven that marriage is NOT a religious institution. The union of 2 people in a binding relationship ceremony has been practiced long before Jesus or Muhammad or Krishna or the Old Testament was written.
So your "marriage is a religious ceremony" B.S. isn't true.
People get married in courthouses, outhouses, and yes, even churches occasionally. But it is not a religious ceremony. Yes, I understand that Jewish weddings are different from Catholic weddings which are different from Sikh weddings and each religion has its own laws of marriage. But then, that only suggests that marriage is not exclusive to any one institution, further proving my point that marriage and religion aren't exclusive to each other, nor are they bound together in any way.
Just clearing up your misconception.

If marriage was really a religious institution, then all gay people would have to do is create their own religion, no? Develop their own religion and follow that set of beliefs and viola! If religion is necessary for a legal marriage, then create a religion! Joseph Smith did it; why not gays? Mormon marriages are legal under a religion that was fabricated fairly recently, then why not gays and whatever church they decide to create for themselves?

Mormons get married in this country, Jews, Catholics, Muslims, Buddhists... Why not create a religion and build chapels? Then you have your snazzy religion and everything is kosher (no pun intended).

Well, it could be that the problem isn't so much their lack of religion, but rather the disagreement with YOUR religion. Because of YOUR religious beliefs, you believe gays shouldn't marry. Here in this country, your rights end where another individual's rights begin. A right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness includes the privilege of legal marriage to a person of your choosing, with no interference from government or religious institutions.

But if they create and follow their own religion, you'd be ok with it, right? Because, to you, marriage is a religious ceremony. As long as all of the other crazy religions can marry here, why not the gays' religion?

Only if you decide to link those past SEEMINGLY similar pairing to the ENGLISH word marriage. The dishonesty in this whole argument is that one must use circular logic to get to this point.

Claim: Marriage was done way before Christians/Jews were around, therefore they that religion can stake no claim to the word marriage (another logical fallacy is that the Jewish ancestry and traditions start only with Abraham but again... details)

Proposed Example: Γάμος is Greek for marriage before Christians where around. Greeks practices all different kinds and there was no religious ceremony in some cases.

Therefore: Marriage is not only common to Christians.

Wait Wait Wait... did you catch that part... "Γάμος is Greek for marriage" It is? It only is if it translates to the SAME MEANING. So what you are saying is that YOU translate them as the same word because you DEFINE them as the same... therefore it is proof that they are the same.... WAH!?!?!?!

This argument is bunk and based on circular reasoning. When the English language first started using marriage it was FULLY Christian in nature and clearly defined it a promise before God between a man and a wife. That doesn't translate to another languages word for something that involves Sly pairing his goat for life.

Absolutely intellectually absurd argument...

July 21st, 2011, 10:14 am
RIP Killer

mineral723 wrote:
For f*ck's sake, they let murderers get married IN PRISON in this country. There is no sanctity of marriage - it is not sacred in this country. All it takes is two bozos with a marriage license and an Elvis impersonator in Las Vegas.
It's not sacred, it's not specific to any religion and marriage means NOTHING except tax statuses. Get over it. Legal gay marriage will happen in your lifetime.
Is the world going to end if gays are allowed to get married? Will that make your god unhappy with you? I guess I've just never heard a valid argument that didn't involve religion against gay marriage.
If you can come up with a valid reason that gays can't be married that doesn't involve religion, lay it out here.

It's sad that because no one cares we would let it get worse... There is no sanctity in life either... so let's just allow infanticide... heck even teenacide! No one gives a rip, people murder all the time. Let's just let it go to the crapper. Why do we even have laws, people break them, let's just get rid of all of them and let people do whatever they want... heck they pretty much do that anyways...

Mineral.. you are disappointing me. Even you can see past this nonsense argument.

July 21st, 2011, 10:17 am
RIP Killer

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
Here's a quick test for you: which of these guys is gay?

The one that watches Dancing with the Stars of course!

July 21st, 2011, 10:19 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

regularjoe12 wrote:
well while your rants are all well and good Mineral, that doesn't change the fact the too many advocates against gay marraige are clinging to the word marraige. doesn't really matter if you like it, as long as the word marraige is used a large % of the public is going to fight it. Change the terminology just a bit and a large portion of that goes away. plain and simple.

for too many people in this country it's about phonetics....if one side OR THE OTHER would just get off that one word a comprimise can be made and everything can be made fair. untill then......expect a fight, be it right or not, cuz there will be one.

Exactly... there could be equal rights for gays a long time ago if they just went down the road of having it be called a civil union or even make all gov't acknowledged pairings civil unions. Instead they CHOOSE to be exactly what minerals rant is so angry about... it is hypocritical.

July 21st, 2011, 10:19 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Pablo wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
Here's a quick test for you: which of these guys is gay?

The one that watches Dancing with the Stars of course!

I was gonna say it's the one with dark hair..but i like your answer better! lol

July 21st, 2011, 10:56 am
3rd Round Selection

regularjoe12 wrote:
if one side OR THE OTHER would just get off that one word

Only one side is claiming exclusivity for the word. The other side is happy to share.

July 21st, 2011, 1:35 pm
3rd Round Selection

steensn wrote:
Exactly... there could be equal rights for gays a long time ago if they just went down the road of having it be called a civil union or even make all gov't acknowledged pairings civil unions. Instead they CHOOSE to be exactly what minerals rant is so angry about... it is hypocritical.

In what way is having it called something different "equal". How about we say that whites can have weddings and blacks can have civil unions. Equal?

And I can't even begin to understand the charge of hypocrisy. Even if you think it's pointless, how on earth does it become hypocritical?

July 21st, 2011, 1:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next