View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2014, 3:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Fourth Commandment and Football 
RIP Killer

Post The Fourth Commandment and Football
OK Bible thumpers, riddle me this. If you are such a strong "believer" how can you also be a fan of football?

Lets look at the KJV

Exodus 20:8-11

"Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it."

Aren't most NFL games played on Sunday? Isn't that considered work for them (BTW - have you ever gone into a grocery store or gas station on Sundays?)

So what are we to do with all these folks who work on Sundays, well it is pretty clear in the Book. Let's take a look at Exodus 31:15

"You may work for six days, but the seventh day is a day of worship, a day when you don't work. It is holy to the LORD. Whoever works on that day must be put to death."

Hummmm, that is a pretty clear command by the loving God now isn't it.

So I'm trying to figure out how God fearing Chrisitans can also spend Sunday watching men work without going out and trying to kill them? Please explain...

July 1st, 2011, 11:55 am
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: The Fourth Commandment and Football
easy..the TRUE Sabath is on Saturday!

NEXT! :wink:

July 1st, 2011, 12:19 pm
RIP Killer

regularjoe12 wrote:

I had a feeling that might be coming, so insert College Football or any other Saturday activity.

July 1st, 2011, 12:20 pm
Profile WWW

im not gonna answer that...Jesus did when the Jews caught him healing on a sabath. Might I recomend going to the horses mouth on that one for the answer?

Can anyone help Pablo out by ditrecting him to which book (chapter)that is in?

July 1st, 2011, 12:36 pm
Hall of Fame Player

regularjoe12 wrote:

YEP. BINGO. Look at the calendar there Pablo. What is the 7th day on it? SATURDAY.

July 1st, 2011, 12:37 pm
Modmin Dude

regularjoe12 wrote:
im not gonna answer that...Jesus did when the Jews caught him healing on a sabath. Might I recomend going to the horses mouth on that one for the answer?

My guess is Pablo already did ask Jesus, but he's still waiting for a response; therefore he's choosing the next best thing, his followers.

July 1st, 2011, 12:38 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Pablo wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

I had a feeling that might be coming, so insert College Football or any other Saturday activity.

Besides, Watching or listening is not working. As long as you spend time with the Lord in prayer/going to church, you are keeping the Sabbath holy.

July 1st, 2011, 12:40 pm
Modmin Dude

BillySims wrote:
Pablo wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Besides, Watching or listening is not working. As long as you spend time with the Lord in prayer/going to church, you are keeping the Sabbath holy.

It's working for those that are 'playing' the games, no?

July 1st, 2011, 12:41 pm
Hall of Fame Player

TheRealWags wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

My guess is Pablo already did ask Jesus, but he's still waiting for a response; therefore he's choosing the next best thing, his followers.

Jesus will not answer questions that are directed at him from non believers.

Anyways, there are a few instances in the Bible where Jesus healed people on the sabbath. And are you supposed to not milk your cows on the sabbath? Or rescue one of your children who have gotten themselves into danger? Simple fact is that the pharasies took that commandment and went way too far with what was meant by it.

July 1st, 2011, 12:44 pm

TheRealWags wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

as opposed to reading his actuasl words?? odd. no wonder he doesn't believe...

July 1st, 2011, 12:46 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Jesus will not answer questions that are directed at him from non believers.

Anyways, there are a few instances in the Bible where Jesus healed people on the sabbath. And are you supposed to not milk your cows on the sabbath? Or rescue one of your children who have gotten themselves into danger? Simple fact is that the pharasies took that commandment and went way too far with what was meant by it.

Jesus will not answer questions that are directed at him from believers either - go ahead and ask. I can, if you like, give you a number of questions to ask that we can use to determine if he indeed does answer.

In John 14:13-14 Jesus stated: "And whatsoever ye ask in my name I do, that the Father may be glorified in the son. If ye ask any thing in my name, I will do it."

Went too far? Isn't this the book of God, his word, are you saying even your God went "way too far"? Do you realize what you are saying?

I'm glad you don't think all the people who work on the Sabbath (whatever that day is because so many churchgoers seem confused on that one or their actions don't seem to match up) should be put to death.

July 1st, 2011, 12:55 pm
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

You also have to remember that not all the same old testament laws became part of the Christian faith, but they're all still followed by Orthodox Jews. How many Orthodox Jewish Football players do you know?

July 1st, 2011, 12:59 pm
RIP Killer

njroar wrote:
You also have to remember that not all the same old testament laws became part of the Christian faith, but they're all still followed by Orthodox Jews. How many Orthodox Jewish Football players do you know?

Does this include the Ten Commandments?

I don't know all the Jews playing football, but I'll give you ten as a starting point:

David Binn, Chargers
Lennie Friedman, Browns
Antonio Garay, Chargers
Adam Goldberg, Rams
Kyle Kosier, Cowboys (and former Lion)
Erik Lorig, Buccaneers
Taylor Mays, 49ers
Sage Rosenfels, Giants
Geoff Schwartz, Panthers
Mike Seidman, Colts

July 1st, 2011, 1:02 pm
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

Some of them yes. But you have to look back at what the Catholic church did, because that was really the basis for most of the rules when it comes to how the Christian faith changed over the years. When they got too restrictive, the other denominations started breaking off.

And many could still argue that its still a game, even though its run as a business.

July 1st, 2011, 1:09 pm
QB Coach

Ok, are you ready for this, are you sitting down, because here goes.

The Exodus quote you provided actually comes from the Old Testament, the Book of the Law. This was presented in a time where God was not present with mankind in human form, and the Law was given as a set of guidelines for all of man kind, especially the Jews. But fallen man could not keep the law! Because of this mankind needed a "bridge" between God and man in order for us to be redeemed. From the fall of man in Gensis 3, blood was the sacrifice used to cover for the sins of man kind. Prior to Gen. 3 you do not see the shedding of blood in any shape for form, but after the fall, God shed blood to clothe Adam and Eve. From that example, blood was used to cover and pay for the sins of the nation. Now fast forward to the birth and life of Christ. It's well documented that He did exist, but it is only the Christians who believe He died and rose again. His shedding of blood as the perfect sacrifice, covered all of mankind to present day. The only thing required for us to receive this is the acknowledgement of our sins, and that He's the Savior of all mankind. No tricks, no gimmicks, just a willing submission that He is God, and we are not.

Since He came, the OT law has been fulfilled, and the time of the Law came to a close, and the time of Grace was born. It is under this time that we are currently living, but that door is closing quickly. The next up will be the time of judgment for all humanity, and the earth.

Being a Christian and being an fan of football is not a crime or a sin. We live in this culture, and physically speaking we can take part in just about anything as long as it's not sin. If we do sin, then we need to take it before Him, but other than that, there isn't an 11th commandment that says "thou shalt not partaketh in football."

Btw, what about 7th day adventist who worship on Saturday? Does their holy day have any precedince? Quite frankly, every day to me is a holy day, as I try to engage myself in the Lord's work, using Blackaby's theory, "Find out where God is working and join him there...."

Hope that helps!

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

July 1st, 2011, 1:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next