View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 20th, 2014, 10:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Bible thumpers: what are your thoughts on fasting? 
Varsity Captain

Post Bible thumpers: what are your thoughts on fasting?
Just curious.. Fasted for a week a couple months ago, 3 days into one right now.. Been reading a lot about about anatomy, metabolism, etc, and it doesn't seem like were suppose to fuel our bodies the way everyone does. (everyday, throughout the day).

July 2nd, 2011, 7:52 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: Bible thumpers: what are your thoughts on fasting?
If you wanna do it for religious reasons sure.

But your body works best when its fed every four hours or so...

July 2nd, 2011, 9:20 pm
Veteran General Manager

Blueskies wrote:
If you wanna do it for religious reasons sure.

But your body works best when its fed every four hours or so...

Agreed. It's actually not a healthy thing to do too often. I would say no more than 4 times a year.

July 2nd, 2011, 11:21 pm
RIP Killer

Done it for a week... no point in doing it for anything but religious reasons.

July 3rd, 2011, 9:36 am
QB Coach

Fasting isn't necessarily the cessation of food intake, you can fast from anything. Food, sex, hobbies, or whatever, what is more important is why are you fasting?

From the Christian standpoint, the process of fasting is a willful choice by the individual in order to become more finely atuned to the Lord. IT IS A CHOICE, by the individual, I can't stress that enough. It's not a subject I know in great detail, but it has to do with willfully choosing to suffer in order to take part in knowing the sufferings of Christ. IT IS NOT REQUIRED, unless you are Catholic, as they do it for Lent, and go about making a big show of it. Although I've heard many people say that they tivo television programs for the week of Lent, only to catch up the following week. That kind of defeats the purpose and meaning in my opinion, but that's just my opinion.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

July 3rd, 2011, 12:39 pm
Varsity Captain

steensn wrote:

Body detoxification.

July 3rd, 2011, 12:56 pm
Veteran General Manager

aughsum wrote:
steensn wrote:

Body detoxification.

I have heard of the body detoxification thing. It is usually done for the treatment of fatal diseases under the strict supervision of doctor or his trained assistant.

July 3rd, 2011, 1:15 pm
Varsity Captain

BillySims wrote:
aughsum wrote:
steensn wrote:

Body detoxification.

I have heard of the body detoxification thing. It is usually done for the treatment of fatal diseases under the strict supervision of doctor or his trained assistant.

I've read about extended fasts (~30days) being done under supervision. From what I gathered online it seems that it's most popular for general maintenance.. Detox to purge the body of all the crap it absorbs/stores through the normal American diet. I could also see it being used to treat diseases - I haven't read enough about the inter workings of the body but it seems plausable that resources not being used for digestion could be channeled elsewhere.. Day 4 and I'm breathing a lot better than I normally do, it's like I have undiagnosed allergies or something. Body feels.. Better. Last time, by day 8 I wasn't hungry, just wanted to eat for the sake of eating.

July 3rd, 2011, 1:32 pm
RIP Killer

I'm no nutritionist... so I can't speak for it... but I can't see why a straight fast would be a detox and having carefully selected food would not.

July 3rd, 2011, 4:11 pm

I've struggled with my weight since early adolescence.

I've gone to nutritionists, diet clinics, personal trainers, etc. etc. I lost 120 lbs, put weight back on, lost it again ,etc.

I have yet to come across anyone advocating a "detox." Honestly sounds like a buncha pseudo-science BS. What exactly are you detoxing? What are these "toxins"? Name them.

Everyone has pretty much advocated the same thing: a balanced diet high in fruits and veggies, small meals spread throughout the day, plenty of water, and little fat.

July 3rd, 2011, 4:32 pm
Varsity Captain

Blueskies wrote:
I've struggled with my weight since early adolescence.

I've gone to nutritionists, diet clinics, personal trainers, etc. etc. I lost 120 lbs, put weight back on, lost it again ,etc.

I have yet to come across anyone advocating a "detox." Honestly sounds like a buncha pseudo-science BS. What exactly are you detoxing? What are these "toxins"? Name them.

Everyone has pretty much advocated the same thing: a balanced diet high in fruits and veggies, small meals spread throughout the day, plenty of water, and little fat.

http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2009/09/ ... x-101.html

Toxins are the things we injest from non-organic foods.. Steroids in our fruit, floride in our water, etc. Anying that isn't "supposed" to go into our bodies.

A proper, balanced diet seems easy, but it's not always possible to stick with. As much as I'd like to, I don't think I'll ever be able to quit double stuff Oreos, or those cheap microwave burritos dipped in sour cream.

July 3rd, 2011, 5:00 pm
RIP Killer

Fasting is easier ;) Lol... There seems to be no real link of fasting and detox...

July 3rd, 2011, 5:08 pm

I think eating healthy regularly is much easier than eating crap for weeks and then starving yourself.

Do you have a weight problem, aughsum?

July 3rd, 2011, 5:31 pm
Varsity Captain

Blueskies wrote:
I think eating healthy regularly is much easier than eating crap for weeks and then starving yourself.

Do you have a weight problem, aughsum?

No weight problem, just the opposite, skinny, trying to put on weight. Didn't feel healthy, tried it, felt healthy, trying it again.

Starvation doesn't occur until 30-40 days in - until then your body apparently feeds off of stores of fat, then starts at proteins (muscle). You actually stop feeling hungry after day 2-3.

July 3rd, 2011, 5:40 pm

Just because you stop feeling hungry doesn't mean its good for you.

If you're trying to put on weight, why are you not eating? That doesn't make sense.

July 3rd, 2011, 6:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next