View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 6:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Bible thumpers: what are your thoughts on fasting? 
Varsity Captain

Post Re: Bible thumpers: what are your thoughts on fasting?
Blueskies wrote:
Just because you stop feeling hungry doesn't mean its good for you.

If you're trying to put on weight, why are you not eating? That doesn't make sense.

Yeah I know.. Seems like backwards logic.

July 3rd, 2011, 6:36 pm
RIP Killer

That is because it is backwards logic...

July 3rd, 2011, 7:05 pm
Varsity Captain

Trying to do it the healthy way.. Not just "bulking" and calling it muscle.

July 3rd, 2011, 7:09 pm
Hall of Fame Player

aughsum wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
I think eating healthy regularly is much easier than eating crap for weeks and then starving yourself.

Do you have a weight problem, aughsum?

No weight problem, just the opposite, skinny, trying to put on weight. Didn't feel healthy, tried it, felt healthy, trying it again.

Starvation doesn't occur until 30-40 days in - until then your body apparently feeds off of stores of fat, then starts at proteins (muscle). You actually stop feeling hungry after day 2-3.

And then, because you have starved your body, when you start eating again, your body stores twice the fat.

July 3rd, 2011, 11:14 pm
Varsity Captain

BillySims wrote:
aughsum wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
I think eating healthy regularly is much easier than eating crap for weeks and then starving yourself.

No weight problem, just the opposite, skinny, trying to put on weight. Didn't feel healthy, tried it, felt healthy, trying it again.

Starvation doesn't occur until 30-40 days in - until then your body apparently feeds off of stores of fat, then starts at proteins (muscle). You actually stop feeling hungry after day 2-3.

And then, because you have starved your body, when you start eating again, your body stores twice the fat.

Link? Or baseless assumption?

Your body will replenish it's reserves, obviously, but that's it.

July 3rd, 2011, 11:23 pm
Hall of Fame Player

aughsum wrote:
BillySims wrote:
aughsum wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

Link? Or baseless assumption?

Your body will replenish it's reserves, obviously, but that's it.

Common knowledge. If you don't eat at least 1200 calories each day, your body will store more fat from what you do eat and you get fatter.

But if you need a link, just do a search for ( Eat less and get fatter.), and pick any of the many link you want to.

July 4th, 2011, 12:53 am
Varsity Captain

The laws of what you're talking about are..

Take in less calories an you burn = store excess calories as fat
Take in zero calories = no fat storage
Resume normal diet & normal activity (balanced calorie intake/usage) = normal storage

If one were simply eating less, you'd be right, but while fasting zero calories are consumed and the body adjusts itself accordingly.

July 4th, 2011, 10:55 am
Hall of Fame Player

aughsum wrote:

Resume normal diet & normal activity (balanced calorie intake/usage) = normal storage

If one were simply eating less, you'd be right, but while fasting zero calories are consumed and the body adjusts itself accordingly.

Because you have starved yourself, when you start eating again, your body will go into overdrive, so to speak, and store up twice what it otherwise would until it doesn't feel the effects of being starved anymore.

July 4th, 2011, 11:06 am
RIP Killer

aughsum wrote:

Fasting isn't the healthy way to do any of that...

July 4th, 2011, 11:47 am
Varsity Captain

BillySims wrote:
aughsum wrote:

Because you have starved yourself, when you start eating again, your body will go into overdrive, so to speak, and store up twice what it otherwise would until it doesn't feel the effects of being starved anymore.

Unless you burn as many or more calories than you take in. If you take in 5000 calories and burn 5000/6000, how is your body going to store any fat? Let alone twice as much as it normally does.

Last edited by anon749244 on July 4th, 2011, 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

July 4th, 2011, 2:24 pm
Varsity Captain

steensn wrote:
aughsum wrote:

Seems pretty healthy for me thus far - all people are different though so what works for me might not work for everyone else.

July 4th, 2011, 2:25 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

So you have a basic metabolic rate. Everyone's is different.

Just sitting in my chair, I burn roughly 2k calories a day without doing any exercise. Other people might only burn 1k, or whatever.

You can influence this rate by a doing a variety of things. Starving yourself is one way to alter it. If you force your body to enter starvation mode, it dramatically reduces your basic metabolic rate.

So, when you go back to eating, the same amount of food you used to eat before will affect your body differently.

I have heard of body building diets where you intentionally starve yourself for a week, then eat thousands and thousands of calories over the course of a day or two, the idea being that you add more bulk that way.

July 4th, 2011, 4:07 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

As a 'Bible Thumper' I can't say one way or the other about fasting. I don't subscribe to any food issues as relates to my religion (though my religion does). As a rehab guru I am not much more help. Fasting may or not be good for your physical health. I know of many individuals who fast regularly and seem in good health. I do believe this. Fasting for long periods teaches you self discipline, and I'm all for people learning self discipline.

July 4th, 2011, 10:49 pm
RIP Killer

Well I'm not a Bible thumper, well maybe I am depending on how you define it, but I am a huge fun of Lent (observe it heavily every year, in fact I have yet to meet a Catholic who is as hard core as I am about it) and I also practice fasting on Fridays often during Lent and occassionally throughout the year.

That said, I do drink water and typically don't fast for an entire day, typically I just skip dinner (and sometimes lunch).

I've tried fasting for and entire day and I'm not about to push it to more time than that. I'm not a fan of the whole day fasting (I've got pretty low blood sugar to start with and I do think it can mess with your metabolism at some point), but do like skipping lunch/dinner every other week or so. I've really gotten into running the last year or so after retiring from team sports, my long run is always early on Saturday or Sunday and I also will do a shorter mileage run the other weekend morning so fasting isn't usually a good idea for me the day before a run.

The biggest thing I have learned is listen to your body. If you feel hungry your body probably needs food (sometimes water). But try fasting for a night (despite the hunger) and see how you feel the next day. You can extend it from there.

July 5th, 2011, 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

aughsum wrote:
steensn wrote:
aughsum wrote:

Seems pretty healthy for me thus far - all people are different though so what works for me might not work for everyone else.

From a caloric stance maybe... but there are super critical things like nutrients you need as well as blood sugar levels. You are going to be operating at a reduced capacity and could see long term damage from it if the right circumstances are there.

I am not talking about skipping a meal or a days worth of food but rather long term fasting... it isn't healthy no matter how you "feel."

July 6th, 2011, 4:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next