View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 9:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Bible thumpers: what are your thoughts on fasting? 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Bible thumpers: what are your thoughts on fasting?
I've never fasted in my life, not once. I have chosen to avoid eating certain foods at times (like Lent) but I've never elected to go without eating for an entire day for religion, detoxification or any other reason.

I am not a nutritonist and have no idea exactly how the body works in that capacity. My own view is that in order to detox a body correctly not only do you have to avoid consuming those things that were "toxic" to begin with, but you also have to consume those things which will push the toxins from the body as well. This is particularly true if said toxins are the type that the body will try to keep within.

People in Europe and other regions aren't as obese and overweight at we are here. Their food isn't processed and they tend to do things a bit differently. In Europe, lunch is typically the biggest meal, and dinner is eaten later (like around 8:00 pm) and is light....just enough to keep the body sated through the night. Breakfast is taken more seriously, with a nice mixture of foods, including lunchmeats.

Another thing, the people in America are lazy. Instead of walking to the corner store, people here will drive their car. The weather could be beautiful, but they'll drive because of the convenience of it. In other countries, walking or bike riding is done much more frequently throughout the day, and more physical activities are performed on a daily basis.

Not eating to make yourself feel good doesn't seem the right approach to me. The human body needs fuel, and needs to have that fuel so it can burn off the toxins it needs to rid itself of. Eat right, exercise regularly, drink enough (but not too much) water and your body will be in the best shape it can be in.

As for how fasting is related to the Bible, I've never made the connection. I don't think fasting gets you any closer to God or Jesus in any way shape or form. You don't deprive the body of food to cleanse the spirit.

July 11th, 2011, 11:31 am
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
As for how fasting is related to the Bible, I've never made the connection. I don't think fasting gets you any closer to God or Jesus in any way shape or form. You don't deprive the body of food to cleanse the spirit.

If you don't believe the Bible then you don't get the connection. The Bible is crystal clear on fasting and the benefits... the connection is very well explained. Doesn't make you any more spiritual and you can certainly say that there are many ways to get the same results. But Jesus fasted a VERY long time for the purpose you state above as being not true. But it is clear that the point isn't about not eating as it is about taking that time to focus on God. All the great leaders of the Bible fasted on many occasions. It is a tool, much like many other things found in the Bible it isn't about the specific act itself but the fruit that comes by why you do it. Depriving yourself of food by no means is a direct connection of your walk with God.

July 11th, 2011, 12:49 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

If you don't believe the Bible then you don't get the connection. The Bible is crystal clear on fasting and the benefits... the connection is very well explained. Doesn't make you any more spiritual and you can certainly say that there are many ways to get the same results. But Jesus fasted a VERY long time for the purpose you state above as being not true. But it is clear that the point isn't about not eating as it is about taking that time to focus on God. All the great leaders of the Bible fasted on many occasions. It is a tool, much like many other things found in the Bible it isn't about the specific act itself but the fruit that comes by why you do it. Depriving yourself of food by no means is a direct connection of your walk with God.

Well, I guess I said that wrong. I know of the fasting mentioned in the Bible, and I know what fasting is supposed to do. But I've never made the connection, meaning I've never understood exactly HOW fasting gains you focus. Physically it does quite the opposite. But it depends on what type of fasting we are speaking of. If we are talking of strict fasting involving the non-intake of any foods, then the only way that gets you closer to God is by getting you closer to death. If we are talking about fasting through a reduced intake of food, or cutting out certain foods but not all as a matter of self-sacrifice, then I could see where the spiritual focus could increase.

I'm not saying I'm right or wrong. I have said on a number of occasions that there are contradictions in the Bible as to the rationalization of things, which is why I don't consider it to be the direct Word of God, but rather an interpretation of man of Gods Word. Big differenece, in my opinion. The contradiction I speak of here? Why would God require us to stop intake of food, when we are His creations and the continued intake of food as a means of continued life (which is sacred by His teachings) was part of His design for us? And why would Jesus state that through Him is the way to God, and part of that path is the partaking of His Body and Blood? So much for fasting....

July 11th, 2011, 1:31 pm
RIP Killer

You are trying to focus on the act of not taking in food as the focus, it is only the tool. You are 100% correct in saying that fasting in itself has no direct implications to your spirituality and this is not the claim at all. Fasting in the Biblical sense is a stay on food WITH lots of prayer and focus on God, not just the food part. I can say that aughsum fasting will have zero impact on his relationship with God, we can all agree that this is good proof that he act itself has no bearing. But the combination of such focusing on God without earthly distractions is something we can say is a big commitment to focus on God.

All "faster's" in the Bible did so with a very dedicated focus on spending time with God. The not eating part is mentioned but NOT the focus, in fact the Bible condemns those who fast for acknowledgement of man or any other reason than to spend focused time with God. The fasting part is treated as a means, not the goal or end.

July 11th, 2011, 1:54 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
You are trying to focus on the act of not taking in food as the focus, it is only the tool. You are 100% correct in saying that fasting in itself has no direct implications to your spirituality and this is not the claim at all. Fasting in the Biblical sense is a stay on food WITH lots of prayer and focus on God, not just the food part. I can say that aughsum fasting will have zero impact on his relationship with God, we can all agree that this is good proof that he act itself has no bearing. But the combination of such focusing on God without earthly distractions is something we can say is a big commitment to focus on God.

All "faster's" in the Bible did so with a very dedicated focus on spending time with God. The not eating part is mentioned but NOT the focus, in fact the Bible condemns those who fast for acknowledgement of man or any other reason than to spend focused time with God. The fasting part is treated as a means, not the goal or end.

Excellent explanation.

July 11th, 2011, 2:00 pm
RIP Killer

Thank you.. and again, since you don't believe the Bible you are open to deciding what it is or isn't... but I can only answer things the way the Bible explains it. In this case, and many others, it is crystal clear.

July 11th, 2011, 2:27 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Steesns, I dont think it's so much as Him not beliving in the bible, so much as a lack of focus on the details. He believes in the guide lines, the "Moral to the story" so to speak. he understands that one little part can be interpreted in a million diferent ways and doesn't get caught up in the words themselves so much as what the overall picture that the story represents. At least thats the way I interpret what he's saying. And actually what I agree with fully.

July 11th, 2011, 3:47 pm
RIP Killer

regularjoe12 wrote:
Steesns, I dont think it's so much as Him not beliving in the bible, so much as a lack of focus on the details. He believes in the guide lines, the "Moral to the story" so to speak. he understands that one little part can be interpreted in a million diferent ways and doesn't get caught up in the words themselves so much as what the overall picture that the story represents. At least thats the way I interpret what he's saying. And actually what I agree with fully.

And I agree to that point... until it starts to make the message vague. Whether or not Sadam and Gamorah actually happened, the clear unmistakable truth about that is that their sexual sin was considered punishable by death to God. Same for the OT laws Jews were to follow. Though maybe God didn't want us to stone someone, the "moral of the story" is that that act was wrong. If God says through Jesus, "Not a single person is getting into heaven without believing in me" (paraphrased)... the moral of the story is just that. Maybe the place and situation changes, but the moral doesn't.

The difference between "moral of the story" angles and the "Bible is not 100% truth angles" is that the morals get twisted in the later. The moral of the story on Jesus and other leaders in the church fasting is that the act itself with heavy focus on prayer is a great way to get closer to God. Did Moses actually do it? Did Jesus actually do it? Did David actually do it? If the "moral of the story" is the angle, it makes no difference whether one did it or not, the moral of the story is that it is an option Christians have to help focus on God. The second angle might lead to "fasting means nothing and is good for nothing" when clearly the "moral of the story is much different."

The "moral of the story" approach only questions the facts behind the story (who, where, event or no, etc), not the point being made. In the 100% fact and 100% moral of the story scenario, the reader would come out with the 100% same conclusion.

July 11th, 2011, 4:05 pm
RIP Killer

Ramadan is about to start, good time to fast if you are a Muslim. Muslims practice some sort of fasting for about a month in order to learn more about patience, humility, and spirituality.

Then again, no sex for a month so it has its downside as well.

Next fasting time up, Yom Kippur, for our Jewish friends.

July 25th, 2011, 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3