View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 23rd, 2014, 2:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 IOM Report: "Birth Control Should Be Free" 
Modmin Dude

Post IOM Report: "Birth Control Should Be Free"
This will probably go over like a lead balloon for most here, but here goes:

Time wrote:
IOM Report: "Birth Control Should Be Free"
By Meredith Melnick Wednesday, July 20, 2011 |

Pills, IUDs and patches without the co-pay? A new report says free and accessible birth control is an essential part of a full range of preventive health services that should be offered to all American women as part of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) of 2010.

With the ACA came a new emphasis on preventive care as a cost-saving and effective way to pre-empt illnesses and cut medical costs. As Kate Pickert reported over on TIME's Swampland:

Quote:
This guideline, though non-binding, is expected to heavily influence the Department of Health and Human Services as it further refines which services will count as “preventive medicine” under the Affordable Care Act.

Since Sept. 23, 2010, all new plans have been required to cover preventive services with no out-of-pocket costs for consumers.

The law's very existence has been politically controversial, but the new report from the Institute of Medicine (IOM) — which deals exclusively with women's health and reproductive issues — may be especially so. It was commissioned by the Department of Health and Human Services as part of an effort to determine what should fall under the preventive rubric, and while opponents might see a political agenda at work, the Institute insists that its nonbinding recommendation is based on straight-up clinical data.

“The committee defined preventive health services as measures — including medications, procedures, devices, tests, education and counseling — shown to improve well-being, and/or decrease the likelihood or delay the onset of a targeted disease or condition,” wrote the report's authors.

Still, for people involved in women's health advocacy, the news felt like a political victory. “As someone who has worked on women's rights for nearly 30 years, I can say that today's news marks one of the biggest advances for women's health in a generation,” said Nancy Keenan, president of NARAL Pro-Choice America in a statement. “Currently, nearly one in three women finds it difficult to pay for birth control, and that's why the United States has a far higher unintended-pregnancy rate than other industrialized countries. Making family-planning services available at no cost will help millions of women prevent unintended pregnancy and thereby reduce the need for abortion."

The need for such a reformulated policy, Keenan and others say, is very real. Planned Parenthood Federation of America reports that half of all pregnancies in the United States are unintended, at great expense to tax payers (to say nothing of the financial and psychological burden on the new mothers). And with co-pays that can reach $25 or even $50 a month for oral contraceptives, even insured women can find the monthly cost untenable, especially in a poor economic climate.

All the same, opponents of the recommendation believe that it may create a dilemma for some consumers. "Say for example that I had a problem with [contraceptive services]; I would be paying into a plan that would be covering them," Jeanne Monahan, director of the Center for Human Dignity at the conservative Family Research Council told NPR. "So in a way I would be forced to pay for it myself."

The specifics of the plan are not likely to make folks like Monahan any happier. (Read a full summary here.) Among the benefits:

Free birth control: The recommendation calls for providing “the full range of Food and Drug Administration-approved contraceptive methods, sterilization procedures and patient education and counseling for all women with reproductive capacity.” The inclusion of an education clause is especially noteworthy since for many people, it's not the lack of contraceptive devices that's a problem, but the lack of knowledge about the proper way to use them.

HIV testing: Currently, HIV/AIDS is the third leading cause of death among African-American women, ages 25-44 and the majority of those infections occur through heterosexual intercourse, according to an analysis by the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. While rates of HIV infection are lower — and more likely to be caused by intravenous drug use — in other ethnic groups, HIV and AIDS is a reality for all sexually-active women in the U.S. The IOM report advocates providing “counseling and screening for human immunodeficiency virus infection on an annual basis for sexually active women.”

HPV genetic testing: “The addition of high-risk human papillomavirus DNA testing in addition to conventional cytology testing in women with normal cytology results. Screening should begin at 30 years of age and should occur no more frequently than every 3 years.”

In English: while Pap smears test for irregular cells on the cervix — a potential sign of HPV infection, cervical cancer or pre-cancer — that may not be sufficient to prevent the 4,000 deaths and 12,000 diagnoses of cervical cancer each year. Instead, the report recommends using an increasingly popular genetic test that detects the strain of HPV, especially high-risk subtypes that are more likely to turn into cancer, such as HPV-16 and HPV-18.

The committee additionally offered recommendations to improve care for pregnant women, including more universal gestational diabetes testing and lactation support for women who chose to breastfeed. Domestic violence and abuse was another area of focus for the committee members, who recommended that all women and teenage girls receive information and culturally-sensitive counseling about what constitutes abuse. Given a recent estimate that 5 million women and girls are physically, sexually or emotionally abused by their partners in the U.S. each year, the counseling may reach an important population that's more prevalent than visible.

“The inclusion of evidence-based screenings, counseling and procedures that address women's greater need for services over the course of a lifetime may have a profound impact for individuals and the nation as a whole,” concluded the committee.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2011/07/20/i ... z1SekYLXZ6

Trying to keep your feelings about the ACA aside, what are your thoughts on this proposal?
IMO, IF one of the main goals of the ACA is to make preventative medicine available to all, then IMO this plan should be implemented; after all, isn't it more responsible, cost effective to prevent unwanted pregnancies then to care for the mother and child after birth for the next 18 years of the child's life? I would say, YES. What say you?

July 20th, 2011, 10:42 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: IOM Report: "Birth Control Should Be Free"
Mixed feelings...

Condoms and barriers methods IMO should be readily available for those who can't afford it. It is the only way other than abstinence to help prevent STD's, so let's just forget about making women or men being sexually promiscuous feel comfortable just using others kinds of birth control. I would though support any methods that make someone "permanently" unable to bear children if they so desire, such as a vasectomy.

The reason I say it is mixed is because I cannot support ANY plan that involved "medical procedures" (murder) that end the life of an unborn child. Currently we categorize abortion as such, so I cannot join the fight.

If the passers and pushers of this bill wanted momentum, I think we could EASILY see an almost immediate financial payback by having condoms, vasectomy, and tubal ligations free. Medical plans wouldn't be forking out as much money for unplanned/unwanted pregnancies. We'd see less child welfare needs and less single mothers needing assistance. I cannot see why a long term look at birth control wouldn't show a net savings for our countries budget and why we wouldn't make that investment.

Again, there is a subset of options that can be made available that the majority of persons would agree with that could make a huge difference. Trying to get things such as abortion paid for is going to kill the bill and get major resistance. Why not do something in between and get the big hit taken care of first?

July 20th, 2011, 10:55 am
Modmin Dude

steensn wrote:
Mixed feelings...

Condoms and barriers methods IMO should be readily available for those who can't afford it. It is the only way other than abstinence to help prevent STD's, so let's just forget about making women or men being sexually promiscuous feel comfortable just using others kinds of birth control. I would though support any methods that make someone "permanently" unable to bear children if they so desire, such as a vasectomy.

The reason I say it is mixed is because I cannot support ANY plan that involved "medical procedures" (murder) that end the life of an unborn child. Currently we categorize abortion as such, so I cannot join the fight.

If the passers and pushers of this bill wanted momentum, I think we could EASILY see an almost immediate financial payback by having condoms, vasectomy, and tubal ligations free. Medical plans wouldn't be forking out as much money for unplanned/unwanted pregnancies. We'd see less child welfare needs and less single mothers needing assistance. I cannot see why a long term look at birth control wouldn't show a net savings for our countries budget and why we wouldn't make that investment.

Again, there is a subset of options that can be made available that the majority of persons would agree with that could make a huge difference. Trying to get things such as abortion paid for is going to kill the bill and get major resistance. Why not do something in between and get the big hit taken care of first?

Perhaps I missed it in the article, but where are they wanting to pay for abortions? Or is it something you're interjecting yourself?

On the Birth Control, I think we agree. Make it and education readily available and free and you will see teen and unwanted pregnancies go down IMO.

July 20th, 2011, 10:59 am
RIP Killer

I'll be honest, when it said preventative measures including procedures I assumed abortion was part of that as it is considered a birth control method by the medical community and completely legal as such. I know abortion is a hot topic and I don't want this discussion to go there, but as we define it today legally if there is no provision limiting it, there is no reason to assume it is excluded. Best example is to say that we are going to pay for food for families that need help but we want to limit that food to healthy food instead of pop and chips. Both are totally legal, so one would assume unless it is explicitly limited that one could go and get that with gov't money further inflaming the health issue s our country faces.

I cannot find a reason NOT to include it if it is not explicitly called out because as of right now it is a totally legal birth control procedure protected by the Supreme Court.

July 20th, 2011, 11:09 am
RIP Killer

But in general, I think you and I are on the same page on this issue... why not provide legal and generally morally acceptable option to give access to more people who couldn't afford it before to help prevent critically higher expenses later. Pair that with adoptions that are paid for by the gov't to get more kids out of the system and we will our gov't lots of money and provide incentive for people to adopt instead of birth their own children...

(Pet peeve... or Christians could practice what they preach and adopt more... rant off)

July 20th, 2011, 11:12 am
Modmin Dude

steensn wrote:
I'll be honest, when it said preventative measures including procedures I assumed abortion was part of that as it is considered a birth control method by the medical community and completely legal as such. I know abortion is a hot topic and I don't want this discussion to go there, but as we define it today legally if there is no provision limiting it, there is no reason to assume it is excluded. Best example is to say that we are going to pay for food for families that need help but we want to limit that food to healthy food instead of pop and chips. Both are totally legal, so one would assume unless it is explicitly limited that one could go and get that with gov't money further inflaming the health issue s our country faces.

I cannot find a reason NOT to include it if it is not explicitly called out because as of right now it is a totally legal birth control procedure protected by the Supreme Court.

OK, gotcha. One thing though, AFAIK Abortion is legal, but not as a Birth Control method. Has it been used/abused as a BC method? Certainly (and it disgusts me), but to say Abortion is a BC method? I think that might be a bit of a stretch.
[/threadjack]

July 20th, 2011, 11:54 am
Modmin Dude

steensn wrote:
But in general, I think you and I are on the same page on this issue... why not provide legal and generally morally acceptable option to give access to more people who couldn't afford it before to help prevent critically higher expenses later. Pair that with adoptions that are paid for by the gov't to get more kids out of the system and we will our gov't lots of money and provide incentive for people to adopt instead of birth their own children...

(Pet peeve... or Christians could practice what they preach and adopt more... rant off)

Wow, we agree on something! Who woulda thunk it? :shock:
LOL j/k :wink:

July 20th, 2011, 11:55 am
RIP Killer

We agree on a lot... just not religion.

July 20th, 2011, 1:06 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Yes, birth control should be free agree with that 100%

NEVER GIVE UP!

July 20th, 2011, 1:23 pm
RIP Killer

Torn on this, there are a lot of people out there having babies that shouldn't be. At the same time, is the gov't really responsible for our birth control?

July 20th, 2011, 2:08 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

If it negatively impacts the country then gov't has an obligation to step in for the good of the people.

July 20th, 2011, 2:11 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
If it negatively impacts the country then gov't has an obligation to step in for the good of the people.

That is a slippery slope you are getting into. Think of all the things that negatively impacts the country, for example how about the food we eat? The lack of exercise we get? Have you seen your fellow American's waistlines lately? Think of all the associated cost with that one.

I'm more in favor of people being held accountable for their own choices rather than the gov't having "obligations". What happens now when a 15-year old has a kid? The gov't is obligated to pay for the birth and on-going care, feeding, education, and housing of the child. By 19, this same girl has 3-4 kids.

Is birth control going to curtail this or encourage it by encouraging kids to be more sexually active? There are many "unintended" consequences that would arise from this program - hope everyone thinks them through before supporting a program like this just on a surface level, uneducated, agreement with it.

July 20th, 2011, 2:17 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

It is a slippery slope... I agree. But so is everything else, that is why we have a democracy to decide what is too far and what is not.

July 20th, 2011, 2:30 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

steensn wrote:
It is a slippery slope... I agree. But so is everything else, that is why we have a democracy to decide what is too far and what is not.

But we don't have a democracy. We have a republic. The government doesn't have a duty or obligation to step in at all. The constitution LIMITS what the government can do. Anything not in the constitution is up to the people, not the government. Its personal responsibility.

And guess who pays for this? Its another welfare program that has no right to be put on the backs of those paying for it.

If we had a democracy, the laws themselves would be put up for a direct vote by the taxpayers. But its not, and that's why programs like these are just a burden. Has abstinence education, condoms or abortions lowered the amount of underage teens from getting pregnant or having kids? No, its increased. Because they think "it won't happen to me!" How about educating them on responsibility. Then you'd have a much better society at large. Giving the message that the government will fix things only makes them worry about things after the fact.

Completely irresponsible.

July 20th, 2011, 2:46 pm
Varsity Captain

njroar wrote:
steensn wrote:

But we don't have a democracy. We have a republic. The government doesn't have a duty or obligation to step in at all. The constitution LIMITS what the government can do. Anything not in the constitution is up to the people, not the government. Its personal responsibility.

And guess who pays for this? Its another welfare program that has no right to be put on the backs of those paying for it.

If we had a democracy, the laws themselves would be put up for a direct vote by the taxpayers. But its not, and that's why programs like these are just a burden. Has abstinence education, condoms or abortions lowered the amount of underage teens from getting pregnant or having kids? No, its increased. Because they think "it won't happen to me!" How about educating them on responsibility. Then you'd have a much better society at large. Giving the message that the government will fix things only makes them worry about things after the fact.

Completely irresponsible.

I'd rather my tax dollars go toward this than supporting T$ Jr.'s 7 children.

July 20th, 2011, 2:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next