View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 22nd, 2014, 2:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 IOM Report: "Birth Control Should Be Free" 
RIP Killer

Post Re: IOM Report: "Birth Control Should Be Free"
Pablo wrote:
steensn wrote:
We are increasingly becoming more and more of a welfare state

Agreed and we need to put a stop to it NOW!

We used to be a nation where people used their hands to do a days work, now we just extend them and ask for free stuff - just imagine where this trend ends cause it ain't going to be pretty. Time to start making hard decisions and those who can't need to be taken out of office cause they are going to bankrupt and ruin this once great country.

We can't help EVERYBODY but we MUST help certain people. You totally ignored the clear data objecting to this idea that welfare breeds more welfare to cherry pick.

You actually don't mean we need to stop welfare, you mean we need to stop ineffective handouts in favor of effective ways to address the issue. Effective programs can be provided and in some cases exist, just because you and I have elected idiots to shape the programs doesn't mean the premise is wrong. The implementation has been wrong.

July 22nd, 2011, 1:34 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
Pablo wrote:
steensn wrote:
We are increasingly becoming more and more of a welfare state

Agreed and we need to put a stop to it NOW!

We used to be a nation where people used their hands to do a days work, now we just extend them and ask for free stuff - just imagine where this trend ends cause it ain't going to be pretty. Time to start making hard decisions and those who can't need to be taken out of office cause they are going to bankrupt and ruin this once great country.

We can't help EVERYBODY but we MUST help certain people. You totally ignored the clear data objecting to this idea that welfare breeds more welfare to cherry pick.

You actually don't mean we need to stop welfare, you mean we need to stop ineffective handouts in favor of effective ways to address the issue. Effective programs can be provided and in some cases exist, just because you and I have elected idiots to shape the programs doesn't mean the premise is wrong. The implementation has been wrong.

If it can be shown that this is an effective way to reduce cost going forward, then I'm open to it. I just haven't seen any evidence supporting this.

But in general, I'm against any handouts at this point (glad you are calling them what they actually are now) given the results of so many other programs.

July 22nd, 2011, 1:52 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I think it is crystal clear that making someone's reproductive capabilities non-existent only needs a .02% success rate of kids requiring need if 1 million men get it a year just to get a 100% return the next year. That is a VERY low bar to set for success...

July 22nd, 2011, 2:01 pm
Modmin Dude

Pablo wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
Lots of great points being brought up here, thanks guys!

On this part:
Pablo wrote:
We humans need to be held accountable, not dependant to the gov't.

But aren't WE THE PEOPLE (humans) the Government???

No, the gov't is an organization made up of humans. Very different. For example, as a human I would never kill someone - would you? As part of an organization, however, things change (think of the Army as one example).
Yes, as a human I could see myself killing someone, in certain circumstances as a last resort (fight or flight, protection of my family, property, etc) and I'm pretty sure you would as well. Just because someone is part of the military doesn't necessarily give them the right to kill for any reason. I think you're being a bit dishonest here.

Pablo wrote:
As part of a business organization I am forced all the time to make choices that hurt an indivdual, but are good for the organization.
Define "hurt"

July 22nd, 2011, 2:04 pm
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
Pablo wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
Lots of great points being brought up here, thanks guys!

On this part:
Pablo wrote:
We humans need to be held accountable, not dependant to the gov't.

But aren't WE THE PEOPLE (humans) the Government???

No, the gov't is an organization made up of humans. Very different. For example, as a human I would never kill someone - would you? As part of an organization, however, things change (think of the Army as one example).
Yes, as a human I could see myself killing someone, in certain circumstances as a last resort (fight or flight, protection of my family, property, etc) and I'm pretty sure you would as well. Just because someone is part of the military doesn't necessarily give them the right to kill for any reason. I think you're being a bit dishonest here.

Pablo wrote:
As part of a business organization I am forced all the time to make choices that hurt an indivdual, but are good for the organization.
Define "hurt"

Not trying to be dishonest, yes I would kill someone in self defense of course or someone trying to injure a member of my family. In the service, you are told to kill the enemy - a person representing another organization (which is the main reason you are going to kill them, not because they threatened you as an individual).

As for hurt, reduce pay, lay off, fire, change roles, etc. If someone is underperforming you get rid of them and find a replacement you think can do a better job. I'm not talking physical harm here. As a human, I certainly do not want to stop their income coming in that feeds their kids, but as an organization I am part of an entity that is colder in its decision making process.

Think NFL, the phrase "it's just business" is thrown around all the time. Doesn't matter if someone has been a superstar for your organization and made the team/league tons of money, been popular with fans, helped you win a SuperBowl - for an organization it is "what have you done for me lately" and even moreso, what can you do for me now.

July 22nd, 2011, 2:31 pm
Profile WWW
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I'm not gonna read this entire thread, but I think most of you know where I stand on this issue. First and foremost, nothing is ever free. The government has to take money from some people to redistribute it to others in order to provide the "free" goodies. Even if the government mandates that healthcare providers do this, it will result in higher premiums for the rest of us. Free sounds good, but ultimately somebody is paying for it.

I won't even get started on the Welfare State, entitlement mentality, or the inefficiency, fraud, waste, and abuse that is rampant in every government run program. All of those things go without saying.

July 25th, 2011, 12:16 pm
RIP Killer

slybri19 wrote:
I'm not gonna read this entire thread, but I think most of you know where I stand on this issue. First and foremost, nothing is ever free. The government has to take money from some people to redistribute it to others in order to provide the "free" goodies. Even if the government mandates that healthcare providers do this, it will result in higher premiums for the rest of us. Free sounds good, but ultimately somebody is paying for it.

I won't even get started on the Welfare State, entitlement mentality, or the inefficiency, fraud, waste, and abuse that is rampant in every government run program. All of those things go without saying.

I am proposing that money come from the already mandated amount of money decided to be spent on welfare and other care. The up front investment will IMO lower the budget for next year and then continue to sustain itself by the amount of money it saves. It's never "free" it just reduced the amount of "free" handouts by reducing the number of people dependent on it.

July 25th, 2011, 3:56 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Why don't we just eliminate "lifetime" welfare of all forms (except for the truly handicapped) and it will no longer be a problem? I could never justify giving unearned "lifetime" benefits to able-bodied people under any circumstance. Sure, if somebody falls on hard times, help them out, but don't make them dependent upon "free" money for their well being for eternity. All blood-sucking parasites need to get a job, but they won't as long as the government gives them "free" money. This madness needs to stop.

July 25th, 2011, 6:12 pm
RIP Killer

I would consider children under 18 or not out of high school (not dropped out) to fall under the the area of needing assistance. If we agree on that (which a few above have manned up and said they would let a 6 month old starve to death with no gov't help) then we put ourselves in the wake of a LOT of uncared for children that need help. Having ways to reduce that number (helping their parents not get pregnant in the first place) would be an investment to hedge the amount of money spent in the future.

July 25th, 2011, 6:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5