View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 5:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Possible changes in Tax Code 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Possible changes in Tax Code
Blueskies wrote:
I mean seriously.

The top 1% has 90% of the countries wealth. They control all the major institutions in society. The IRS and the DOJ and the CBO aren't run by average Joe $38k a year with parents that worked the line. They control society. There are only two political parties. They control the media so they can control who gets nominated. Even then, they can easily buy off the politicians. Pretty much every major official that has worked in the Treasury department for the last 30 years was once a Goldman Sachs employee. Every FDA official worked/works after they retire for big Pharma. The fox is in charge of the hen house.

Even then, if there was some great divide here, they went to the same schools, had the same friends, intermarried and go to the same cocktail parties.

If they wanted the government to be smaller it would be. That's all that really needs to be said.

As George Carlin stated, "The table is titled; the game is rigged. But no one seems to notice, nobody seems to care.."

I am completely and utterly baffled that people continue to buy into this myth that the government and the elites are somehow counterbalances. It truly boggles my mind.

Is it a form of cognitive dissonance? Are people unwilling to let themselves see the truth? Maybe, I don't know.

While I agree the wealthy hold the power, the fact is WE elect them. If we are not smart enough to band together and select the ones that best represent us then WE are the ones to blame not them. We shouldn't be shifting the blame to others...

August 2nd, 2011, 9:47 am
RIP Killer

Pablo wrote:
Now I certainly look forward to a real discussion using real facts and figures Blueskies.

And of course I get a political rant instead of a discussion using facts and figures as requested.

/discussion

August 2nd, 2011, 10:22 am
Profile WWW
Pablo wrote:
Here is the thing with taxes, we are fine on the revenue side with somewhere between 15-20% of our GDP collected in taxes (almost 1 for every 5 dollars). You will find this number consistent for the past 70 years.

Problem is on the spending side which is out of control and has been just getting worse and worse.

I'd love to simplify the tax code and even it out, either as a sales tax or flat tax. Problem is, that doesn't solve the problem.

This country, quite frankly, simply needs to start hiring (or electing) folks that are going to start spending less than they are taking in and pay down the debt.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you 100% on cutting spending. I'll add that govt. in general, regardless of what it spends, is far too big. The more control people hand over to the govt. the more we get fat and lazy... Now the govt. is trying to control fat and laziness... It's ridiculous. At some point there has to be some level of self-accountability.

That said, I agree that a simplified tax code would free up a ton of cash and help boost the economy. I'll add... The IRS is basically a HUGE revenue wast of cash. Cut the IRS down to virtually nothing and it would alleviate a portion of the spending problem. It won't come close to where we need to be... Programs like Acorn, if they're so great, should be able to fundraise and survive on their own. Foreign aid, IMO, is way over-blown... Why help your neighbor pay his mortgage when you're in foreclosure??? And I'm big on national defense, but come on. I would like to see more spent on tech, and less spent on actual soldiers. The healthcare, disability, etc. that we spend on those guys, that, in great quantity can be replaced with machines is ridiculous, IMO. At this point I see very little need for pilots, at least in an aircraft. A pilot would be better suited in a simulator that controlled the actual plane, with a rear view, and not being subject to g-forces and low-oxeygen conditions... and... he wouldn't die in combat, should require less training, and shouldn't ever get disabled.

August 3rd, 2011, 1:04 pm
Modmin Dude

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Here is the thing with taxes, we are fine on the revenue side with somewhere between 15-20% of our GDP collected in taxes (almost 1 for every 5 dollars). You will find this number consistent for the past 70 years.

Problem is on the spending side which is out of control and has been just getting worse and worse.

I'd love to simplify the tax code and even it out, either as a sales tax or flat tax. Problem is, that doesn't solve the problem.

This country, quite frankly, simply needs to start hiring (or electing) folks that are going to start spending less than they are taking in and pay down the debt.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you 100% on cutting spending. I'll add that govt. in general, regardless of what it spends, is far too big. The more control people hand over to the govt. the more we get fat and lazy... Now the govt. is trying to control fat and laziness... It's ridiculous. At some point there has to be some level of self-accountability.

That said, I agree that a simplified tax code would free up a ton of cash and help boost the economy. I'll add... The IRS is basically a HUGE revenue wast of cash. Cut the IRS down to virtually nothing and it would alleviate a portion of the spending problem. It won't come close to where we need to be... Programs like Acorn, if they're so great, should be able to fundraise and survive on their own. Foreign aid, IMO, is way over-blown... Why help your neighbor pay his mortgage when you're in foreclosure??? And I'm big on national defense, but come on. I would like to see more spent on tech, and less spent on actual soldiers. The healthcare, disability, etc. that we spend on those guys, that, in great quantity can be replaced with machines is ridiculous, IMO. At this point I see very little need for pilots, at least in an aircraft. A pilot would be better suited in a simulator that controlled the actual plane, with a rear view, and not being subject to g-forces and low-oxeygen conditions... and... he wouldn't die in combat, should require less training, and shouldn't ever get disabled.

Just a couple of comments I wanted to make:
On Foreign Aid: While I agree that this needs to be looked at it, is a rather small portion of our current budget and any changes/adjustments won't make a real dent in our debt/deficit situation.

On not needing Pilots: I'm of the opinion that while technology is a great thing, it is possible to have too much when it comes to combat/war. IMO the more you take the human element out of combat the easier it is to wage said combat. For example: Do you really think we would be fighting wars/have troops all over the world if we only had knives, swords and hand-to-hand combat? I certainly don't.

August 3rd, 2011, 2:21 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I just wanted to address something concerning the elimination of loopholes, tax breaks, subsidies etc. I'm all in favor of doing so, but only if it includes a reduction in tax rates. If Republicans gave in on this, does anybody seriously think the Democrats would reduce rates in the future? C'mon now. The only way it's gonna happen is with true reform of the tax code and doing both at the same time.

As for the fair tax or national sales tax, does anyone seriously believe that it would replace the income tax? In Europe, they were promised that the VAT would replace the income tax, but now they have both. The same thing would happen here since politicians can't help themselves. Once it was enacted, they would state that the Constitution allows them to collect income tax via the 16th amendment, so it would never go away. You think I'm joking? Try to push for a Fair Tax and see what happens if it is passed.

August 3rd, 2011, 5:55 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

The perk about a flat tax is when the politicians try to raise rates, they ill have to raise them on everyone who pays taxes. They can't say, we'll just increase the tax on the rich guys (meaning the middle class). The politicians have rigged the game. They divided the public against itself.

No more! Bring a flat tax whee everyone is taxed at the same rate. Why should we all be taxed equally? Because we are all Americans, equal in the eyes of the nation.

Blueskies is my hero. I worship the ground he walks on.

August 4th, 2011, 10:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3