View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 2nd, 2014, 1:08 pm



Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Who's the greatest current Detroit Player? 

Who's the greatest current Detroit Player?
Justin Verlander 60%  60%  [ 9 ]
Miguel Cabrera 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Calvin Johnson 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
Ndamakin Suh 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 15

 Who's the greatest current Detroit Player? 
Author Message
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7395
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Who's the greatest current Detroit Player?
Just want to gauge how people rank our superstars.

I can't stand to watch Hockey. So, I have no idea if there is a superstar on the Red Wings. And I don't think there is a superstar on the Pistons.

I rank them Verlander -- He just is unhittable most of the time.
Suh - I put him ahead of Calvin because of what he means for our defense. He sets the tone. Calvin don't.
Calvin - No doubt that he is 1 of the 3 best WR's in the game. But, he doesn't really set the tone of our offense.
Cabrera - One of the most feared hitters in the game. But, he can be pitched around for the most part.


August 7th, 2011, 11:30 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9866
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Who's the greatest current Detroit Player?
I said Justin Verlander. Being a pitcher that can throw over 100 mph for nine innings? Unbelievable. And he's accurate, with good stuff on his pitches, not just velocity. He's been good since he got into the league. I'd rate Calvin a very close second.

Cabrera is good, but his off-field stuff concerns me.

However, if you included hockey, the runaway winner is Niklas Lindstrom. He is one of the best defensemen to every strap on skates in the history of the NHL.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


August 8th, 2011, 9:20 am
Profile
NFL Team Captain

Joined: January 27th, 2005, 9:12 pm
Posts: 1610
Location: Midland, MI
Post Re: Who's the greatest current Detroit Player?
Gotta go with M2K on this one (includung Nick)


August 14th, 2011, 8:35 pm
Profile
1st Round Pick
User avatar

Joined: May 8th, 2010, 4:25 pm
Posts: 1292
Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Post Re: Who's the greatest current Detroit Player?
Hockey would have to be Pavel Datsyuk, hes got good moves and can score.

But I went Justin Verlander, he is having one hell of a year and there is a lot of talk that he has now ran away with the CY cince CC got rocked last start.

_________________
Image

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U


August 15th, 2011, 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Team Captain

Joined: January 27th, 2005, 9:12 pm
Posts: 1610
Location: Midland, MI
Post Re: Who's the greatest current Detroit Player?
The Tigers still have a month and 1/2 left in the regular season, their is still plenty of time for misfortune to strike [-o< I pray to the baseball gods that this dosen't happen.

IMO Verlander is the best pitcher in baseball at this time. I really believe that he has been snubbed for previous awards.

It is his time and will be quite awhile.


August 15th, 2011, 12:26 pm
Profile
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post Re: Who's the greatest current Detroit Player?
M2K, Lidstrom was the greatest, but he's in his 40's now and not as effective as he once was. Just among the Red Wings, I'd say that Datsyuk is more talented and skilled than Lidstrom is right now. Among all Detroit players though, it's a tough call between Datsyuk, Verlander, and CJ.

_________________
Image


August 15th, 2011, 2:01 pm
Profile
1st Round Pick
User avatar

Joined: May 8th, 2010, 4:25 pm
Posts: 1292
Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Post Re: Who's the greatest current Detroit Player?
slybri19 wrote:
M2K, Lidstrom was the greatest, but he's in his 40's now and not as effective as he once was. Just among the Red Wings, I'd say that Datsyuk is more talented and skilled than Lidstrom is right now. Among all Detroit players though, it's a tough call between Datsyuk, Verlander, and CJ.


Lidstrom, greatest all time for Red Wings? If you say yes, then I got to disagree, Yzerman and Howe would be.

_________________
Image

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U


August 15th, 2011, 11:41 pm
Profile WWW
3rd Round Selection

Joined: December 25th, 2005, 6:19 am
Posts: 1188
Post Re: Who's the greatest current Detroit Player?
Lions2SB2 wrote:
slybri19 wrote:
M2K, Lidstrom was the greatest, but he's in his 40's now and not as effective as he once was. Just among the Red Wings, I'd say that Datsyuk is more talented and skilled than Lidstrom is right now. Among all Detroit players though, it's a tough call between Datsyuk, Verlander, and CJ.


Lidstrom, greatest all time for Red Wings? If you say yes, then I got to disagree, Yzerman and Howe would be.


And you'd be wrong, people love to go with Yzerman or Howe because their fan favorites and everyone loves the Centers, always have. But Lindstrom isn't just one of the greatest red wing defenders, he's one of the greatest defenders of all time period, something that Yzerman and Howe cannot say for their position.


August 16th, 2011, 6:29 pm
Profile
Online
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3130
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: Who's the greatest current Detroit Player?
Rob_Shadows wrote:
Lions2SB2 wrote:
slybri19 wrote:
M2K, Lidstrom was the greatest, but he's in his 40's now and not as effective as he once was. Just among the Red Wings, I'd say that Datsyuk is more talented and skilled than Lidstrom is right now. Among all Detroit players though, it's a tough call between Datsyuk, Verlander, and CJ.


Lidstrom, greatest all time for Red Wings? If you say yes, then I got to disagree, Yzerman and Howe would be.


And you'd be wrong, people love to go with Yzerman or Howe because their fan favorites and everyone loves the Centers, always have. But Lindstrom isn't just one of the greatest red wing defenders, he's one of the greatest defenders of all time period, something that Yzerman and Howe cannot say for their position.

Howe isn't one of the greatest of all time for his position? Are you serious? Mr. Hockey? Um, it was Gordie's records that Wayne Gretzky had to break to become the greatest of all time. How do you figure that Gordie wasn't one of the best ever?

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


August 16th, 2011, 6:32 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9466
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Who's the greatest current Detroit Player?
Rob_Shadows wrote:
Lions2SB2 wrote:
slybri19 wrote:
M2K, Lidstrom was the greatest, but he's in his 40's now and not as effective as he once was. Just among the Red Wings, I'd say that Datsyuk is more talented and skilled than Lidstrom is right now. Among all Detroit players though, it's a tough call between Datsyuk, Verlander, and CJ.


Lidstrom, greatest all time for Red Wings? If you say yes, then I got to disagree, Yzerman and Howe would be.


And you'd be wrong, people love to go with Yzerman or Howe because their fan favorites and everyone loves the Centers, always have. But Lindstrom isn't just one of the greatest red wing defenders, he's one of the greatest defenders of all time period, something that Yzerman and Howe cannot say for their position.


Howe could certainly make a very strong case to be considered one of the greatest centers of all time and one of the greatest hockey players of all time.

Just because Lindstrom could be considered one of the best defenders of all time doesn't mak him a better "Detroit" player than Yzerman whose value went beyond his individual contribution as a long serving captian who was the key player to turn this long suffering franchise around.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


August 16th, 2011, 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
3rd Round Selection

Joined: December 25th, 2005, 6:19 am
Posts: 1188
Post Re: Who's the greatest current Detroit Player?
Yeah, I worded that wrong. Howe is probably the 2nd best C to ever play the game at this point but Yzerman gets extremely overrated by Detroit fans because he was a great leader for so long. There's no debating how much his leadership meant to this team but I'd take Lindstroms ability over Yzermans leadership 10 times out of 10.


August 21st, 2011, 3:45 am
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 26th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Posts: 3039
Location: Elkhart, In.
Post Re: Who's the greatest current Detroit Player?
Verlander is probably better, but Suh definitely represents the Detroit MEANNESS really well. He plays just down right NASTY, makes you wonder what a Fairley/Suh(n) duo would look like....

_________________
2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


August 21st, 2011, 7:53 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9866
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Who's the greatest current Detroit Player?
slybri19 wrote:
M2K, Lidstrom was the greatest, but he's in his 40's now and not as effective as he once was. Just among the Red Wings, I'd say that Datsyuk is more talented and skilled than Lidstrom is right now. Among all Detroit players though, it's a tough call between Datsyuk, Verlander, and CJ.


I took the question differently, as in what current player has had the greatest career to date. If we are talking about just the current abilities of current players, than there are a couple of Red Wings players who would rate above Lidstrom.

As for current Detroit players, I think Verlander is winning it hands down. He's having an off-the-charts type of season.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


August 24th, 2011, 8:42 am
Profile
1st Round Pick
User avatar

Joined: May 8th, 2010, 4:25 pm
Posts: 1292
Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Post Re: Who's the greatest current Detroit Player?
Rob_Shadows wrote:
Yeah, I worded that wrong. Howe is probably the 2nd best C to ever play the game at this point but Yzerman gets extremely overrated by Detroit fans because he was a great leader for so long. There's no debating how much his leadership meant to this team but I'd take Lindstroms ability over Yzermans leadership 10 times out of 10.


Yzerman was known for clutch goals. Remember against Blues, 2OT and he takes the slap shot from the blue line to win. Probably his greatest goal as a Wing.

_________________
Image

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U


August 27th, 2011, 1:05 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.