View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 28th, 2014, 4:37 am



Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 40  Next
 Questions about the Bible, Jesus and Christianity. 
Author Message
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 26th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Posts: 3039
Location: Elkhart, In.
Post Re: Questions about the Bible, Jesus and Christianity.
I bet you'd thought I'd left, or better yet, maybe you hoped I did, but here is a very interesting Scientific Mystery/Question that still has Scientists baffeled.

Q: What holds atoms together?

A: According to Scripture, God holds EVERYTHING together by the power of His hand, but I know that isn't gonna fly with everyone. So please enlighten me!

_________________
2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


February 3rd, 2012, 8:11 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3112
Location: London, UK
Post Re: Questions about the Bible, Jesus and Christianity.
WarEr4Christ wrote:
I bet you'd thought I'd left, or better yet, maybe you hoped I did, but here is a very interesting Scientific Mystery/Question that still has Scientists baffeled.

Q: What holds atoms together?

A: According to Scripture, God holds EVERYTHING together by the power of His hand, but I know that isn't gonna fly with everyone. So please enlighten me!

I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, because it's wrong. The question of what holds atoms together most definitely does not have scientists baffled. Electrons and protons are electrically charged, with opposite negative and positive charges, so they are attracted to one another. The nucleus contains neurons (neutrally charged) and protons (positively charged), so the nucleus has a net positive charge, and thus attracts the electrons. So, those electrical forces hold the electrons and protons together. But what holds the nucleus together? That is what is known as nuclear force. There are strong and weak nuclear forces, that basically work to balance each other out and hold everything in a stable state.

This is well known, documented science. There's nothing baffling about it at all.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Things ... _Do_Anyway

LET'S GO DUKE!

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.


February 4th, 2012, 11:17 am
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3709
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Questions about the Bible, Jesus and Christianity.
TDJ Is correct. it's all basic magnetism to state it in the most general way possible.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


February 4th, 2012, 1:53 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 26th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Posts: 3039
Location: Elkhart, In.
Post Re: Questions about the Bible, Jesus and Christianity.
For the record: I heard it used in a sermon, and I felt it was a decent question. I don't use the sciences much in my line of work, so going off of the "you don't use it you lose it" principle, I'd forgotten about the electrons, protons and so on.

I wasn't really trying to go anywhere in particular, but I was thinking of the piece of Scripture where God says that he holds ALL things together by the power of His hand. If the question would have been a true baffler, I was going to locate and bring out that scripture for discussion. That's all.

_________________
2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


February 5th, 2012, 10:24 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9373
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Questions about the Bible, Jesus and Christianity.
I read an interesting article in Scientific American on a flight back from San Fran a week ago and thought of this thread. I can't find it, but here is another interesting take from the mag.

Quote:
Why People Believe Invisible Agents Control the World

Ghouls, spirits, ghosts, gods, demons, angels, aliens, intelligent designers, government conspirators, and all manner of invisible agents with power and intention are believed to haunt our world and control our lives. Why?

The answer has two parts, starting with the concept of “patternicity,” which I defined in my December 2008 column as the human tendency to find meaningful patterns in meaningless noise. Consider the face on Mars, the Virgin Mary on a grilled cheese sandwich, satanic messages in rock music. Of course, some patterns are real. Finding predictive patterns
in changing weather, fruiting trees, migrating prey animals and hungry predators was central to the survival of Paleolithic hominids.

The problem is that we did not evolve a baloney-detection device in our brains to discriminate between true and false patterns. So we make two types of errors: a type I error, or false positive, is believing a pattern is real when it is not; a type II error, or false negative, is not believing a pattern is real when it is. If you believe that the rustle in the grass is a dangerous predator when it is just the wind (a type I error), you are more likely to survive than if you believe that the rustle in the grass is just the wind when it is a dangerous predator (a type II error). Because the cost of making a type I error is less than the cost of making a type II error and because there is no time for careful deliberation between patternicities in the split-second world of predator-prey interactions, natural selection would have favored those animals most likely to assume that all patterns are real.

But we do something other animals do not do. As large-brained hominids with a developed cortex and a theory of mind—the capacity to be aware of such mental states as desires and intentions in both ourselves and others—we infer agency behind the patterns we observe in a practice I call “agent­icity”: the tendency to believe that the world is controlled by invisible intentional agents. We believe that these intentional agents control the world, sometimes invisibly from the top down (as opposed to bottom-up causal randomness). Together patternicity and agent­icity form the cognitive basis of shamanism, paganism, animism, polytheism, monotheism, and all modes of Old and New Age spiritualisms.

Agenticity carries us far beyond the spirit world. The Intelligent Designer is said to be an invisible agent who created life from the top down. Aliens are often portrayed as powerful beings coming down from on high to warn us of our impending self-destruction. Conspiracy theories predictably include hidden agents at work behind the scenes, puppet masters pulling political and economic strings as we dance to the tune of the Bilderbergers, the Roth­schilds, the Rockefellers or the Illuminati. Even the belief that government can impose top-down measures to rescue the economy is a form of agenticity, with President Barack Obama being touted as “the one” with almost messianic powers who will save us.

There is now substantial evidence from cognitive neuroscience that humans readily find patterns and impart agency to them, well documented in the new book SuperSense (HarperOne, 2009) by University of Bristol psychologist Bruce Hood. Examples: children believe that the sun can think and follows them around; because of such beliefs, they often add smiley faces on sketched suns. Adults typically refuse to wear a mass murderer’s sweater, believing that “evil” is a supernatural force that imparts its negative agency to the wearer (and, alternatively, that donning Mr. Rogers’s cardigan will make you a better person). A third of transplant patients believe that the donor’s personality is transplanted with the organ. Genital-shaped foods (bananas, oysters) are often believed to enhance sexual potency. Subjects watching geometric shapes with eye spots interacting on a computer screen conclude that they represent agents with moral intentions.

“Many highly educated and intelligent individuals experience a powerful sense that there are patterns, forces, energies and entities operating in the world,” Hood explains. “More important, such experiences are not substantiated by a body of reliable evidence, which is why they are supernatural and unscientific. The inclination or sense that they may be real is our supersense.”

We are natural-born supernaturalists.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


February 6th, 2012, 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 26th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Posts: 3039
Location: Elkhart, In.
Post Re: Questions about the Bible, Jesus and Christianity.
So he used all of these big words, and a multi-thousand dollar education to come up with: "We are natural-born supernaturalists."


Please don't read that as negative as it sounds, it just seems to me that this one of those "duh" type paragraphs. I've heard it said that Humanity was created with a "God" size void in our psyche, and that we try to fill it with all kinds of things, including gods of our own making. So if God is supernatural, that means, he's above THE Natural, and so those who struggle with believing in Him, are actually struggling with the faith it takes to believe in the Spiritual. Am I understanding this correctly? So doesn't that play into what I said a few pages back about this being HEART knowledge, as compard to HEAD knowledge?

_________________
2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


February 6th, 2012, 12:52 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9373
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Questions about the Bible, Jesus and Christianity.
I don't think you grasped the gist, basically we see patterns when none exist. These patterns reinforce our belief in the supernatural. For example, you have told stories of someone who needed money and prayed and then received said money. You brain is wired to put together a pattern that reinforces a belief in the supernatural.

You can call what you "feel" as heart knowledge, but once main "believes" something in his head the "heart" will feel it. If "heart" knowledge is true, then all prior belief systems that man also felt in his heart must also be true. Since they can't all be true, man is seeing patterns that in reality don't exist.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


February 6th, 2012, 1:04 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 26th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Posts: 3039
Location: Elkhart, In.
Post Re: Questions about the Bible, Jesus and Christianity.
WarEr4Christ wrote:
Pablo: what's to reconsider? Truth has now become relevant to the situation instead of foundational, so if it's right in my eyes then it must be true right?



So if a terriorist kills innocent people, but it is right in his eyes it must be true/right? This, my friend, is very scary thinking.

Actually i believe we are on the same side on this, what I was trying to point out is that we have eroded the foundation of truth so that we no longer have a base from which to determine truth. Truth has now become relevant or stiuational, so if it feels good do it, and you can't be wrong. At the same time you can't pass judgment on my truth because it's different from yours, so we should all just understand one another, and accept each others view point in spite of our differences.

Truth can be both situational and foundational, but you are talking about a truth once considered (and by all intentions) written to be foundational, that has continually been cracked at the foundations so it must be reconsidered in a situational way to remain true to believers. Again, it is a moving target - which is a very slippery slope for the "truth".

I guess I would have to ask what has cracked or eroded the foundation? Is it the belief or morality of the society? In looking at America we started out with a very solid base, however, in looking back we can only pass judgment on their beliefs of the day surrounding slavery, endentured servants and so on. Practices that were not necessarily right, but common place. Doesn't make it right, just means that it is what it was. I believe that it was the 60's reject authority or question authority movements that brought on the "higher thinking" that has streamlined the decline of this society, but that's my opinion.


WarEr4Christ wrote:
So you presume to be able to scrutinize my faith? You are now an authority on how my God speaks to me, and deals with me, and leads me, or has led me, and saved me? You have walked in my shoes, lived my life, made my choices, and so that allows you the insights into how I interpret the Bible. Wow, I wish I would have known that later, because it could have saved me a lot of heartache and suffering.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize your Faith was above scruitiny. I have no idea how your God speaks to you, I'd like to think it is in the manner that M2K points out - through the heart - yet you continue to throw out Biblical passages and your interpretation of them at us. Perhaps a two way street is in order here?

This may be a word war here, because what I would claim as my faith is personal, determined, and slightly unwaivering on a good day. What you might classify as my faith are my beliefs and the fruits of my walk. Those things that you can see and evaluate. You are correct in that I use Biblical passages, and they are filtered through my experiences to help explain them to those around me. Much like you trying to share with me what it's like to live in Texas. You can tell me about the weather, the people, the steers and beers, and you even filter it through your experiences, but until I actually experience it for myself, 1. I only have your word to go on, 2. I can only imagine what it might look like or more, 3. Would I trust you enough to believe your words and therefore try a trip to Texas. Hope that made sense? By the way, conversation with my Lord does come through His word, and through my heart. It's his love in my life that continues to teach me to live and love those in my sphere of influence.

WarEr4Christ wrote:
Oh wait, standing on the outside looking in, and casting judgment based upon your perspective, isn't there something, um, uh, wrong with that? I used to have a salesman friend of mine that had a slogan, " I can tell a lot of about beef by sticking my head up a cow's #$% but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it."


Is there something wrong with casting judgement from the outside? Let's see, if someone doesn't believe in your God he is judged isn't he? An eternal life in hell, now isn't that the ultimate judgement. In fact, a good portion of Faith is wrapped around judgement.


I don't know if there's something wrong with casting judgment from the outside, but what I was trying to point out was how can you make a decision about something when you're not a part of it. You can tell me the waters fabulous and refreshing but until I get in and see for myself, how can I make an accurate assessment?


As for your friends slogan, an interesting perspective. Obviously someone who has no clue that there are many angles to "judge" something on. I would let your friend know that the butcher for whom he is taking his word has much better ways of "judging" beef than sticking his head up a cow's #$%. Then again, I'm wondering how your friend judges the quality of chicken?
It kind of goes with the above, and I'd like the see the chicken thing too!

BTW - you continue to state how "The Bible is the WORD of God, divinely inspired upon 40 some men over 1600 years I think it was, from 4 different continents" - you neglect to state how political the compilation of the books was (certainly not "divinely inspired"), how many other writers/books have been excluded, and quite frankly how "incomplete" the Bible is because of that. For example, the The Infancy Gospel of Thomas talks about a 5-year-old Jesus who makes 12 sparrows out of mud, after clasping his hands they come to life and fly away. Seems like a pretty important part of the picture to me, but perhaps you think the story is complete going from an infant Jesus to a 30-year-man with nothing in-between. Didache is also an important manuscript IMO, for some reason left out. I'm sure you are very familiar with The Dead Sea Scrolls, the Gospel of Mary, and many others.

You are correct in that my knowlege of such books is EXTREMELY limited. My belief at this point is that these become arguing points about the authenticity of the Bible. I can only speak of what I know, and what I know is my living, breathing relationship with Jesus. I have had so many occurrences of answered prayer, more in times of extreme need than anything else. Since no one else was there, I can't effectively communicate the experience though I try, but if you choose not to believe it, or determine it was something else, then that's your judgment.

Example: 1992 Defense Exercise Gitmo, Cuba Windward side, night recon of SP 8 Hicacal Beach, at or around 2 am, myself and two Marines attacked a fixed position of Marine infantry. The Attack was successful, with casualties from simulated guerilla attack was extreme (wiped out the command structure with all Sr. Officers and NCO's inside), discovered post simulated attack, and during the retreat wound up in an "active" minefield. The Marine in front said, "Uh oh, Doc we're in a minefield." Directly to our right was a 60 drop to the beach and ocean, and to our left, and front was minefield. At my feet were engineer stakes with fuses, and the only thing I could utter was, "Lord!" I was instructed as clearly as someone speaking, turn and step the exact same steps out.

Or how about the time I wanted to become a police officer and I kept asking and pushing, although all the doors and windows were being shut in my face. As I came down to my kitchen table I asked Lord am I going to be able to become a police officer and the response was a very clear, and agitated, "How many times do I have to tell you NO!" Not only was it clear, but it had all the emotion of upsetting your father to go with it.


Then again, I'm standing on the outside looking in so what do I know. I've studied a number of ancient Judeo-Christian texts in part of my quest to get a more "complete" picture than the Bible alone portrays. You have obviously also studied these texts and dismissed each since you feel the canon is fully complete without The Letter of Clement and tons of other texts that have been left out. Interesting, I'd like to know how intellectually you came to such a conclusion?


Pablo: my point, and maybe I haven't been real clear, is that I see you and other debating the existence of God based upon man's information. What really scares me is that for those who say, "I'll believe it when I see it," they are going to get their wish someday, and they'll be standing before God as Judge and by that time their fate is sealed. You see the picture has been painted that God is looking down on us, waiting to zap us for doing something wrong. But in truth, he's been SCREAMING, "I'm right here, why won't you recognize me?" When he sits as judge it won't be as we see sitting on a bench, but it will be as one who asks, is he/she in relationship with me through my son Jesus? It's a yes or no question and the penalty is either glorious or horrendous.

I plead with the Lord that all those I've mentioned will someday be able to see, and I am very concerned that in the course of these discussions, someone will be so offended by me that they'll go the other way. I am trying to be as loving and non-confrontational as possible, and I truly hope I haven't offended anyone here. But in the end the choice of relationship is up to the person, and i can't make them choose, nor choose it for them. I do my absolute best to represent my living faith by what I do. Being human I don't always do it right, but I try hard. When I mess it up, or get into an internet argument with someone, I have to count on God's grace to see me through. When I offend someone, the responsibility is mine to make amends, and correct my actions. Sometimes this runs against the grain. It's no secret that I.E. and I have had our disagreements, but what example would it be to the rest of you if I claimed Christianity in here, and fought him elsewhere? For as much as he wants to be derogatory, and discrediting at times, I've chosen to turn the other cheek, and rise above it. I have even determined that I will not seek to argue with him, and try to upset him as well. I don't always do it well, but I try, and it is hard, but necessary.

_________________
2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


Last edited by WarEr4Christ on July 6th, 2012, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.



June 26th, 2012, 6:40 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 26th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Posts: 3039
Location: Elkhart, In.
Post Re: Questions about the Bible, Jesus and Christianity.
Wow: so much to say, I hope there's enough room....

Pablo: Bring it! I know where and whom my faith is in, so I am not easily swayed in my faith.

The Bible is the INSPIRED word of God. That means that God chose individuals who wrote the words down that filtered through their lives. I do believe you are, or were, editing a book that were the inspired words of experience as filtered through the life of the author right? So does that make the truth any less relevant, or is it helpful in looking at the perspective of the author, and comparing it to one's own experiences and drawing a corelation? The Bible is errored in it's transcription, not only from one language to the next, but from one ancient language to the present. This is one of the reasons why it continues to be updated as our understanding of the languages grows. Oh and here is another reason that I alluded to else where; there are 2 perspectives at play here. Sadly I can't remember the title of it, but I remember the desription:

In looking at a frog, the Jew will sit in the environment and watch that frog to see what it eats, how it lives, how it swims, mates, and so on until an accurate picture of the frog is determined. In the Greek (which Western Society derives most of it's thinking from), they will take the from from its' environment and disect it, discovering all the different systems and organs and pieces until an accurate picture of the frog is given. Neither is wrong, just different.

Now the Scripture happens to be the Frog in this instance, we Westerners look at it from the Greek context and we disect it, and make judgments based upon what we physically see. The Jew looks at Scripture in the environment how it's received. Example:

What does God taste like? Psalm 34:8, "Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him. and, Psalm 119:103, "How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!"

What does God smell like? In ancient days a physical sacrifice was required for the covering of sins in the Jewish religion. An animal without blemish or defect was required, slaughtered and then burned upon the grill as a sacrifice. So every time you are cooking meat on your own grill and smell the meat cooking, you can be reminded of Jesus the perfect sacrifice, who gave his live for the sin of all.

What does Sin smell like? Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Sin smells like death, rotten, decaying, putrid; think of the road kill on a hot summers day.

These are examples of Jewish thinking to Biblical truths.
I would fully recommend looking up Dr. Ray Vanderlaan on Youtube, he is VERY interesting and refreshing.

IE: National Geographic just did an article within the last year about David. They've discovered the palaces, they've discovered many things as spoken of in the Bible. The Apostle Paul is also well known, and well traveled, and well documented. These just happen to be 2 characters out of all of the Scripture. Egypt has inscribed the mass Exodus on some of it's temples, I just can't remember the location. I want to say Megiddo, which happens to be in Israel area, but I'm not sure that's correct.

My point is, the very book that you state is bunk, is actually proved itself to be true and acurrate. There are stories, there are truths, and there are things that baffle the mind, but just because we can not grasp them with our human minds does not mean that it hasn't happened.

Here is a link that may have you climbing the walls, but I wanted to share it with you anyway. Especially PARAGRAPH 3.

http://toptenproofs.com/article_resurrection.php

Gentlemen, all I can do is speak from what I know, and I don't expect you to understand it. Truthfully it isn't I who would bring you understanding anyway, so please don't look to my words for the source of knowledge. All I can do is point you in the right direction, and IF you have a question, all you need to do is ask. In fact, I dare you to, ask until you get an answer. You'd do the same of any professor, or any thing that would lead you to a discovery of whatever science you choose to pursue. I am challenging you to ask, and keep asking until you get an answer. The effort you put in to asking is the same effort you'll get out of the answer. If you flipantly pose the question, expect the silence you'll get, but if you honestly are interested and desire to ask, then do so.

Afterall, if there IS no God, then all you've done is waste some words right? But IF there IS a God, and He gives you the answer, well then you may just have to change your tune eh?

_________________
2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


July 6th, 2012, 2:36 pm
Profile
Walk On

Joined: September 11th, 2010, 10:19 pm
Posts: 408
Post Re: Questions about the Bible, Jesus and Christianity.
OK - again ... there is no question that the Bible has some actual historical events, places & people in it. But don't you understand that the presence of that doesn't make the supernatural stuff any more true? National Geographic doing a cool "thing" on bliblical places doesn't mean they've proved prophecy true! That kind approach to "truth" and "being proved" is so illogical it is mind-bending.

I have to tell you - I don't get the quotes from a book, and self-referencing to prove a point... when you're talking to people who don't give the book any sort of authority to guide the discussion. It is a logical fallacy (arguement from authority, and circular reasoning) to use the thing being questioned to justify & "prove" itself. The whole thing - sin, heaven, hell, the magic, the thinly veiled threats about eternal damnation, the flimsy circumstantial evidency posing as fact ... all that stuff has no meaning. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: quoting that stuff to me is no different than my son quoting some arcane rules or story line from an xbox game that he plays but I don't.

That last statement, dude, is just Pascal's wager rewritten. The reason Pascal's logic falls down is because there is not only one God and religion - even within the "supposed" Christian faiths - many of who believe the others to be infidels. Even your "bet" on your religion is not secure, because there are so many to choose from even within your own sub-species of faith. IF there was a god, the vast majority of human beings who consider themselves religious would still have it all-wrong. And the odds are, that includes you.


July 7th, 2012, 11:05 am
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 26th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Posts: 3039
Location: Elkhart, In.
Post Re: Questions about the Bible, Jesus and Christianity.
Actually, you hit the nail on the head when you spoke of the historical context of the Bible. Going back to what we know about civilizations, most learning and education was transferred via word. Then it started to become written as humanity progressed. I don't know if it was the Greeks, Egyptians, or any other culture pre-Christ that are responsible for it, but it's been our (humanity) way of doing things. Even in this country, Sequoah was the first chief to write his language down, create an alphabet and begin writing it for the Cherokee nation, if I remember correctly.

I bring this up because in looking back on what we know, ancient society did not have the entertainment that we've progressed to now. So you got up with the sun, worked for your sustanence, came home and went to bed when the sun went down. Somewhere in that time frame, you might sit around the fire and share the latest news from afar, or stories and legends meant to teach truths and rules.

What I shared was that the INSPIRED word of God, was God speaking to man through the course of his life. That man, or whomever was doing the writing for him, recorded those things through the experiences of their lives. Now keep in mind that this does NOT explain the things like Peter walking on water with Jesus, or the Sun being held back for a portion of time, in order for Joshua to win the battle. Both are known stories, and there really isn't any concrete way to explain either. So we, in our humanity, and in an effort to explain or debunk it, make the determination that it was impossible, therefore it can not be true.

With humanity this is true, we can not do these very things and so we can not understand it when we read it. BUT! Is the God that created all of what we see and know bound by the same laws? Or is He above them? Is the potter bound by the laws of his creation? Say I make a spittoon for the purpose of catching chewing tobacco, but then after it's made, I changed my mind and use it as a vase, am I bound by the design or do I have the right to do what I want with what I created?

I agree with you that there are myths and legends about Christianity that baffle my mind. I can not explain them, and find it hard to believe in many aspects, but at a moment when I read something like that, I fall back to my default. My relationship with Jesus Christ. Eric, I have had numerous occurrences that I can not adequately explain what has happened or why. The sentences I've heard with my very own ears, the things I've been prevented from, or encouraged to do that did not originate with me. I can't explain it and nor do I have the ability to prove it to you. But I honestly believe that is because it is MY relationship, and no one elses.

You make mention of Pascal, but in all honesty, I don't who he is. His experiences are his own, and have nothing to do with mine. You use him as a basis for your own argument, and system of unbelief and that works in your world; but I have too much circumstancial and personal information of my DIRECT interaction with God that contradict Pascal. That is why I encouraged you to ask for yourself! I can't give you the answers you want, and neither can any other talking head that once lived, or is living. The journey is personal, always has been and always will be. IF you want to know, ASK, and keep pursuing the answer as if you were a scientist, and I can almost guarantee you'll get your answer, because Scripture says ask, seek, and knock. Ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find, knock and the door will be opened unto you. That is my challenge to you! I also know that this will fly in the face of all that you currently believe, and therefore will be VERY threatening. But if you are serious about pursuing the knowledge, then accept the challenge! I continue to pray for you and many others, and will be there for any encouragment you need in your journey, and I mean that with all of my heart.

Paul

_________________
2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


July 7th, 2012, 12:22 pm
Profile
Walk On

Joined: September 11th, 2010, 10:19 pm
Posts: 408
Post Re: Questions about the Bible, Jesus and Christianity.
Look man - I wish you no ill will. There are a lot worse things to do with your life than to try to spend it being a good/better person & live what you consider to be a meaningful life - no matter what construct you use to accomplish it.

Let me put a twist on your analogies about the concept of a maker being "above" the creation... here's how I see things:

I see you as being a brand new Ford or Chevy, sitting in a production lot adjacent to the factory where most of the production lines, material inputs & labor are plainly working, right there in sight. And outside the office of the plant is a nice museum showing most of the history of how the plant was built and transformed over time, all the cool different types of vehicles it built, and its place in a massive, coordinated corporation that spans all the known geography.

And yet there you sit in the lot - honking your horn loudly, denying the plant (evolution) or corporation (laws of science) and claiming that you and the other vehicles have been designed & built by magical power ... and calling me a fool for being pretty sure that you were built and driven right out of that plant & part of the corporation. Could you be right? I can't prove you're not - what you claim clearly can't be proved wrong. But I wouldn't bet on it ever being proved right.


July 7th, 2012, 1:41 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 26th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Posts: 3039
Location: Elkhart, In.
Post Re: Questions about the Bible, Jesus and Christianity.
Eric,

First, I would not call you a fool, and I don't have any problem with your analogy at all, in fact, I would take it one step further and ask you, who is Ford? Wasn't he the original engineer/designer/builder for the vehicles that man his plant, assembly line, and lot? My point is, that we see the scientific evidence to which there is plenty, but we either refuse to see, or can not see that someone greater than all that we see created it. The laws are true, and they do exist, there's no question of that, but I've been trying to call people's attention to the author of the laws.

Don't worry mate, I'll keep praying because it's obvious that the work needing to be done is beyond my ability, and I'm fine with that.

_________________
2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


July 7th, 2012, 9:41 pm
Profile
Walk On

Joined: September 11th, 2010, 10:19 pm
Posts: 408
Post Re: Questions about the Bible, Jesus and Christianity.
WarEr4Christ wrote:
Eric,

First, I would not call you a fool, and I don't have any problem with your analogy at all, in fact, I would take it one step further and ask you, who is Ford? Wasn't he the original engineer/designer/builder for the vehicles that man his plant, assembly line, and lot? My point is, that we see the scientific evidence to which there is plenty, but we either refuse to see, or can not see that someone greater than all that we see created it. The laws are true, and they do exist, there's no question of that, but I've been trying to call people's attention to the author of the laws.

Don't worry mate, I'll keep praying because it's obvious that the work needing to be done is beyond my ability, and I'm fine with that.


No worries.


July 8th, 2012, 8:47 am
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 26th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Posts: 3039
Location: Elkhart, In.
Post Re: Questions about the Bible, Jesus and Christianity.
Fellas, there has been much that's been said, and questioned about the Bible, and there are still many questions about a lot of it, but I thought that these few verses that I found yesterday were quite interesting.

For those who claim that it's just a book, a compilation of fables and stories, here are key Scripture points that validate the story of Jesus, from eyewitness accounts, and also go on to describe what we see today. I thought I would share it as a way of helping you to see that the Bible is the INSPIRED word of God, through mere mortal men.

This is a personal letter of introduction to Theophilus, explaining what Luke (the author, and known physician and educated man) has personally seen or researched, in regards to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Luke 1:1- 4, “Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, 2 just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word. 3 With this in mind, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I too decided to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, 4 so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught.”

This is the words of Peter, the one who betrayed Jesus 3 times, and he testifies to what he has seen and heard in the 2nd book to carry his name.
2 Peter 1:16-21, “16 For we did not follow cleverly devised stories when we told you about the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ in power, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty. 17 He received honor and glory from God the Father when the voice came to him from the Majestic Glory, saying, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased." 18 We ourselves heard this voice that came from heaven when we were with him on the sacred mountain. 19 We also have the prophetic message as something completely reliable, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. 20 Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things. 21 For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.”

This is Timothy’s writing and he was the protégé of the Apostle Paul. His word explains the Word of God, and what authority it has or should have in our lives.

2 Timothy 3:16, “16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”

Finally this is the last portion of 2 Timothy, spoken in regards to the end days of mankind and what we will see, and how it will relate to humanity, prior to the Lord’s return.
2 Timothy 3:1-7, “But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people. 6 They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over gullible women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, 7 always learning but never able to come to a knowledge of the truth.

_________________
2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


August 13th, 2012, 10:02 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 40  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.