View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 31st, 2014, 12:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 40  Next
 Questions about the Bible, Jesus and Christianity. 
QB Coach

Post Re: Questions about the Bible, Jesus and Christianity.
Nurosa:

Something came to mind as I read your most recent post and I'd like to ask you a question.

Since you believe in God do you also believe there is a devil or Satan? I ask this because if God is good, and Satan represents evil, wouldn't that put you in the middle?

Genesis 1:26-27 basically states that God in three parts, (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit)said let US make man in OUR image, male and female He made them.

Now let's go back to the time before mankind. Lucifer (Satan) was created as the chief angel, he was able to walk on the mountain of God, according to the book of Isaiah. Well that is until sin was found in him; pride actually. I bring this to mind, because the Bible speaks of a war in heaven between the angels, those who sided with Lucifer, and those who sided with God. It's a Spiritual war, so we can never know how horrific that is, and our feeble human minds can not grasp how extensive the Spiritual realm is. So long story short, Lucifer loses and he and his cohorts are cast down from Heaven, to the Earth.

Now if you're Satan, and you have just got your keister kicked and you can't defeat God, who else would you attack? How about the very ones who bear the image of God? Mankind! So this is where Genesis 3 comes into play. By the assault on mankind through deception, Satan has just wooed mankind from a personal relationship with God. Again, look at Genesis: God walked and talked with Adam and Eve IN the Garden, DAILY. But then the fall came, and man became aware of the knowledge of Good and Evil. In a sense they became like God in their ability to know the difference between the two.

I say all this because I'm trying to draw your attention to the fact that 1. you are isolated, 2. you are subject to attack, 3. you can't hear God because of all the hurt, and maybe because of choices and decisions you have made, or are making.

Now fast forward to a modern movie that gives a pretty good description of this. The Matrix Neo is like one of millions plugged into the matrix until one day his eyes are opened. You can choose to go back to the matrix, OR you can choose follow the rabbit hole and see how deep it goes. Does that make sense? God loves you, He loves you so much that He paid a price that you could not. Think of the Navy Seal who dove onto a grenade to protect his buddies, he loved them so much that HIS life meant nothing as long as they were safe. Jesus took the blast for you and all mankind, the question is are you willing to accept that?

I have so much I'd love to share with you, but I don't want to inundate you, because at some point it will be like trying to drink from a firehose. Would you do me the favor of listening to this podcast? There are no commercials and it's an interesting listen, there is no preaching, and you'll be able to hear me share my heart.

http://themasculinejourney.com/TheMascu ... e_Sun.html

Let me know if you'd like to talk more, and if you want a copy of the book, the offer stands.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

August 29th, 2013, 7:11 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Nurosa, if you've given up on religion but are still looking for peace of mind, you might consider reading about Stoicism. It was the personal philosophy of many of the great Roman thinkers (Marcus Aurelius, etc). It doesn't involve gods or anything supernatural, but just learning to accept the hand you've been dealt in life, and maintaining your dignity in the face of misfortune.

I would recommend books like:
A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy
http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Good-Life-A ... s=stoicism

and

Stoic Serenity: A Practical Course on Finding Inner Peace
http://www.amazon.com/Stoic-Serenity-Pr ... pd_sim_b_3

August 29th, 2013, 7:24 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

2 things:

1: sometimes it is easy to miss the signs and the answers we seek, as was stated before, they can often be very subtle. For example, I see 4 strangers who are prone to disagreeing with each other, all saying almost exactly what you ar asking for above. I see W4C with the softest and most caring post I have ever seen him post. .i see wags be warmed by a theology post from W4C. I see m2k open up more about his faith than I have seen before. And all of this is directed at you. I'm willing to bet that if you could subside some of the pain, you may find a support system around you firmly in place to help you ease your burden. Be advised though, those often come from expected places. Often those god would have help us are people HE thinks best suited, not who we think should be.

2: I absolutely believe God has a plan ( I lovingly refer to it as his agenda lol) It is of my belief that, unless the tinfoil hat wearers are right about the end being neigh, our individual role in gods plan is a very very small one. I believe that our role is very subtle and almost minute in comaprision to the eons old mast plan. All we are here to do is be the bearers of light and good, and pass that along to the few that are willing to share the " burden" . We are to pass that from generation to generation until the darkness amasses, and hopefully the light carried on is strong enough to destroy it. That sounded like a fairly tale even as I typed it, but it is what I believe to be true. A Dailey war goes on between right nd wrong, good and evil. These days it's easy to see the appearance of the wrong side winning the battle. Corruption seems to be ever growing. Turn on the national news, I promise you, you'll be lied to in less than 5 minutes...but good is still being done everyday. It just gets overlooked. When the bombs went off in Boston, all you heard about 2 (TWO) bastards who did it. You didn't hear about the. Tens of, the hundreds of, maybe even the thousands of people, who ran TOWARDS the blast to see if they could help.

My point is, even though you are justified in your anger, that No one would blaim you for your pain, the good is still there around you. You are in the dark bro, it's up to you step back out into the light.

.....maybe that's what God is waiting for (I apologize for my arrogance in assuming I have any idea of what he's doing ;) )

August 29th, 2013, 7:31 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

For the record, doing a bit of studying on Stoicism isn't too bad an idea for a man that needs to rebuild and redefine himself. I agree with blueskies on the value of what can be learned. The most useful things you can learn from their philosophy can and should be utilized by theologist and atheist alike. It's been a loooooooong while since I I read anything related, but as a youth a lot of what I decided as the kind of man I wanted to be, is rootted in those books I read long ago.

August 29th, 2013, 7:41 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Didn't mean to say that only atheists can be stoics. It's a religion-independent philosophy.

August 29th, 2013, 10:14 pm
QB Coach

Blueskies,

I just wanted to say thank you for your additions to the discussion, and I understand where you are coming from. With having said that, I'm praying for you, and praying blessing upon you so that Lord willing, you may see the light as well. Till then, let's continue to say "GO LIONS"

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

August 30th, 2013, 8:54 am
Pop Warner Rookie

Well if I have learned anything it's to be careful what you ask for.

I was in a car wreck this morning and now have a brand new shiny broken leg to go along with 4 cracked ribs.

Yeah.. that was a sign I needed alright.

I have no issues with people having their own faith. I just don't share it at the moment. In that I think I'm worse than an atheist. I know HE exists. I just no longer believe HE cares.

Thanks for the words everyone. I'll manage this as best I can and who knows what will happen.

“If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it.”
-Stephen Colbert-

August 30th, 2013, 9:48 pm
Butkus Award Winner

First time posting in the Off Topic area, and it's a very general question that I always wonder about.

Some background; I am a strong Christian. Catholicism has honestly revealed everything to me. I am completely believing that God has a plan for every single spec in existence. A question that has ALWAYS lingered in my mind is why does God allow suffering? Not mentally, but physically. Why does God allow r@p3? Why does God allow long-lasting physical pain? Is it because freedom of choice can lead to these things? Please elaborate.

August 31st, 2013, 2:39 pm
QB Coach

If nobody minds, I'd like to take a stab at that question?

In looking at Genesis, God made the Earth and it was perfect in all ways. The Garden of Eden was where Adam had been brought to, and Eve was created there. Then in Genesis 3 you have the fall of man, the well known story.

It is at this point that sin entered into the world. As I was telling Nurosa or someone earlier, Satan got his butt kicked in the angelic war prior to humanity. He was cast down to Earth. (all Scripturally documented) When he could not attack God and win, he decided to attack the next best thing, Man, because he bore God's image. Thus the deceptive attack on Eve, while Adam was standing right there.

With the introduction of sin, Adam and Eve had opened Pandora's box. They had the ability to choose between good and evil, now knowing both. Because of our new sin nature our "flesh" began to crave all things physical and this led to many of the things you've asked questions about.

Man brought that on himself, and God did intervene by creating a way of redemption through Jesus Christ. But the cure is SO simple, that many people choose not to do it.
Now why doesn't God intervene in cases of ra pe and murder, things like that. Because man is reaping what he's sown. So the things that go on are not because he doesn't care, because he does immensely, but He's been pushed away by humanity.

You see, I"VE heard it described like this. God wanted to create man, and did so, but he wanted a creation that loved Him for who He is. This is where God took the greatest gamble, because in order for us to truly love HIm for who He is, we needed to be given the right to choose or deny him. Angels are not create with the freedom of choice, they serve because that's what they were created for. So these terrible things that happen stem from our sin natures, and until the world is made new, we will have to live with the results of our first choice.

August 31st, 2013, 11:50 pm
QB Coach

Hey y'all,

A friend of mine had found this open letter and then posted it on his facebook page, and I read it and was SO encouraged that someone else "gets it!"

Dear America,
We, the Christians of this land, would like to apologize to you. It is because of us that this wonderful land has sunken into poverty, oppression, sin, disaster, terrorism, and so much more. Because of us, this land has gone from good to bad, great to poor, moral to ungodly. It is because of us that this nation is failing, because we failed to do our parts to make this land great as our forefathers did.

We jumped to conclusions instead of compassion.
We clung to fear instead of hope.
We judged when we should not have judged.
We lied when we should have told the truth.
We slept when we should have worked.
We hated when we should have loved.
We gossiped instead of sharing the gospel.
Instead of being light and salt to the world, we have been darkness and shame.
Instead of freedom we brought prejudice.
We were more concerned with filling our coffers than filling God's kingdom with saints.
We tore down when we should have built up.
We weakened what we should have strengthened.
We broke up what should have been mended together.
We brought so much of the world in among us that we are no different than those we claim to reach.
We abandon God's word for worldly entertainment.
We abandon the worship of God for worldly things.
Monday Night Football is more important to us than personal bible study.
We'll spend 40 or more hours a week slaving away at our jobs, but won't give God even one hour a week, let alone personal time or prayer.
We prefer swears over prayers.
We prefer the lusts of the flesh over service to Christ, our redeemer.

Yes, America, we Christians are to blame for your fall. Because of our willful sin our strength has failed us, and when the church grows weak, so does our country. For when the Church is strong, America is strong. But when the Church is weak, America is weak. Our sin has brought about your
downfall, and for that we are sorry.

Had we but obeyed God's word and repented, none of this would have happened. For the power of America is the Church, and the power of the Church is Christ. If the Church is boldly serving Christ, then America has, can, and will prosper. But if it is not, then Christ will turn away from His Church because of its sins, which will leave us powerless to stop the forces of evil which wish to rip apart this nation and send it down into the flames of Hell.

Dear America, we, the Christians of this land, ask your forgiveness, for it is because of our sin that you have been brought low.

September 1st, 2013, 10:21 am
RIP Killer

Nurosa wrote:
Well if I have learned anything it's to be careful what you ask for.

I was in a car wreck this morning and now have a brand new shiny broken leg to go along with 4 cracked ribs.

Yeah.. that was a sign I needed alright.

I have no issues with people having their own faith. I just don't share it at the moment. In that I think I'm worse than an atheist. I know HE exists. I just no longer believe HE cares.

Thanks for the words everyone. I'll manage this as best I can and who knows what will happen.

Nurosa,

I truly hope that you heal well and quickly. I completely understand your questions of Him and about the 'why me' place you are at. I've been there before, many times. I've questioned Him, cursed Him and have believed He hated me. However, I've often found myself ashamed of my actions because when it comes down to it, things could have been truly worse for me if not for some of the positives that came from my beliefs. And no matter how bad things have gotten for me, there are plenty of others in this world who have had it worse their whole life and still believe in and praise Him for the little they have.

I can't tell you not to despair, because I can't truly know what you are dealing with in life beyond your recent accident. And I can't tell you how to improve your state of mind when it comes to your relationship with Him. All I can say is that it's been my experience that with bad comes good, and with good comes bad. And sometimes the signs you seek are like life's opportunities. They will knock on the door from time to time. You just have to have the good sense to answer the door and recognize them for what they are.

Best of luck, and hope you get well soon.

September 3rd, 2013, 3:40 pm
QB Coach

I'd like to ask a few questions of the board, or at least those who choose to answer.

Why Christianity?

What makes them different?

What's the purpose, or benefits for becoming a Christian?

I've seen a lot of the negative responses to Christianity, and I understand that Christianity hasn't done much to help itself by often being "disobedient;" but I'm curious as to what people OUTSIDE of Christianity think, because it does matter.

Thank you.

September 7th, 2013, 12:13 pm
Varsity 1st Team

Just a bit from George Carlin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r-e2NDSTuE

frok

September 7th, 2013, 8:58 pm
QB Coach

Frok,

Sorry buddy, but you are following a misconception, I didn't ask about RELIGION, I asked about Christianity. Religion is the same whether it's Buddhism, bahaism, Taoism, muslim, or whatever. Religion is RULES and REGULATIONS, Christianity is RELATIONSHIP. There is a difference. BUT the difficulty is that Christianity has followed a broken model that has created religion, and is losing the relationship.

I'm just curious as to what makes Christianity different?

Thanks

September 7th, 2013, 10:05 pm
QB Coach

WarEr4Christ wrote:
Frok,

Sorry buddy, but you are following a misconception, I didn't ask about RELIGION, I asked about Christianity. Religion is the same whether it's Buddhism, bahaism, Taoism, muslim, or whatever. Religion is RULES and REGULATIONS, Christianity is RELATIONSHIP. There is a difference. BUT the difficulty is that Christianity has followed a broken model that has created religion, and is losing the relationship.

I'm just curious as to what makes Christianity different?

Thanks

In my opinion, I don't think Christianity is any different from other belief system. Almost all have some kind of high deity or deities, and people worship and/or try to honor those deities in some way. Whether it's Christianity, or Judaism, or Islam, or Buddhism, etc. it's all basically the same set of principles. It's the mechanisms by which people practice them that is different.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

September 9th, 2013, 11:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 40  Next