View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 26th, 2014, 3:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 40  Next
 Questions about the Bible, Jesus and Christianity. 
Varsity 1st Team

Post Re: Questions about the Bible, Jesus and Christianity.
Explanation of God

It was written by an 8-year-old named Danny Dutton, who lives in Chula Vista , CA .
He wrote it for his third grade homework assignment, to 'explain God.' I wonder if any of us could have done as well.

EXPLANATION OF GOD:
'One of God's main jobs is making people. He makes them to replace the ones that die, so there will be enough people to take care of things on earth. He doesn't make grownups, just babies. I think because they are smaller and easier to make. That way he doesn't have to take up his valuable time teaching them to talk and walk. He can just leave that to mothers and fathers.'
'God's second most important job is listening to prayers. An awful lot of this goes on, since some people, like preachers and things, pray at times beside bedtime. God doesn't have time to listen to the radio or TV because of this. Because he hears everything, there must be a terrible lot of noise in his ears, unless he has thought of a way to turn it off.'
'God sees everything and hears everything and is everywhere which keeps Him pretty busy. So you shouldn't go wasting his time by going over your mom and dad's head asking for something they said you couldn't have.'
'Atheists are people who don't believe in God. I don't think there are any in Chula Vista ... At least there aren't any who come to our church.'
'Jesus is God's Son. He used to do all the hard work, like walking on water and performing miracles and trying to teach the people who didn't want to learn about God.. They finally got tired of him preaching to them and they crucified him But he was good and kind, like his father, and he told his father that they didn't know what they were doing and to forgive them and God said O.K.'
'His dad (God) appreciated everything that he had done and all his hard work on earth so he told him he didn't have to go out on the road anymore. He could stay in heaven. So he did. And now he helps his dad out by listening to prayers and seeing things which are important for God to take care of and which ones he can take care of himself without having to bother God. Like a secretary, only more important.'
'You can pray anytime you want and they are sure to help you because they got it worked out so one of them is on duty all the time.'
'You should always go to church on Sunday because it makes God happy, and if there's anybody you want to make happy, it's God!
Don't skip church to do something you think will be more fun like going to the beach. This is wrong. And besides the sun doesn't come out at the beach until noon anyway.'
'If you don't believe in God, besides being an atheist, you will be very lonely, because your parents can't go everywhere with you, like to camp, but God can. It is good to know He's around you when you're scared, in the dark or when you can't swim and you get thrown into real deep water by big kids.'
'But.....you shouldn't just always think of what God can do for you. I figure God put me here and he can take me back anytime he pleases.
And...That’s why I believe in God.'
Have an awesome day, and know that someone has thought about you!

Thought this was neat.

Frok

October 12th, 2011, 1:05 am
QB Coach

It is neat, and it is truly beautiful to see the simple, yet serious faith of a child, who can see God with their innocent eyes, far better than the rest of us adults who've been tainted by life.

Thanks for sharing.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

October 12th, 2011, 8:24 am
RIP Killer

WarEr4Christ wrote:
It is neat, and it is truly beautiful to see the simple, yet serious faith of a child, who can see God with their innocent eyes, far better than the rest of us adults who've been tainted by life.

Thanks for sharing.

Honestly this is a child regurgitating what he has been conditioned to by his parents and the church. What really bothers me, in addition, is how this "innocent" child already views/judges others that don't share his views - notably atheist in this case. I find this kind of indoctrination from before a child can think for themselves very disturbing (not just from a religious standpoint either but in any way that will divide people later in life).

That is just my two cents and I'm sure everyone who was "conditioned" into this way of thinking since birth will disagree, how could you not?

If God really wants us to "choose" him, shouldn't people be given the tools to "choose". Poor kid, had no chance to "choose" his belief system...

October 12th, 2011, 10:52 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

:(

Pablo, I thought you would have something like this to say, and it's sad that your perspective is so anti-God, that you can't even allow yourself the possibility that He might really love you and want to have a relationship with you.

I could spew a few things to contradict your statement, but I don't want to create a debate so much as I want to try and adjust your perspective. To do this I am going to use something tangible as a physical way of describing my point.

From the time you were born you've been told that Mercedes Benz is the car to have; it's the beacon of perfection in your family, as far as cars go. You know them, have probably seen them, maybe even touched one before, so as you grow up the MB is the car of choice. But then when you become an adult yourself, you suddenly discover Audi, and Ferrari, and Ford, Chevy, and so on, and suddenly your limited horizion is blown wide open. Now you are your own man and you have every right to go and see for yourself, which vehicle is best for you. You can buy what you like, test drive, and touch until your hearts content, but ultimately the choice is up to you. Will it be MB or something else, you have to make the choice.

So it is with God: In my Christian home I have shared with my daughter the attributes of God, what he's done for me, what he's done for the world, and what he wishes to do for all that will choose him. I live my life as an example before her and all men, not for their praise or worship, but because I believe my life is a living, physical example of Christ's love to my world. What do I receive in return? Ridicule, anger, accusations, arguments, but I also receive greatfulness, friendships, love, acceptance, joy, the exhilaration of serving my friends and family to the best of my ability because I love them. As my daughter sees it, she learns it, but ultimately she will have to make a decision for herself. My duty as a father is to share with her all that I know, pray for her, protect her, raise her to be good and productive, and then give her over to the Lord himself. I may have played a part in her creation, but that's the physical part, it's God that gives the Spirit to each human. For all life was created through him, but I imagine you'll argue that too!

So my whole effort for you, sly, blue, augshum, and now Stallion is to be true, transparent, loving, and genuine. I know that I don't have the all the answers, and I'm not going to beat you with a Bible to get you to join me. Jesus doesn't want forced love, he wants your willing participation in the relationship. I can do nothing but constantly lift you all before the Lord in prayer, waiting on Him to draw you. It may take years, it may never happen, but ultimately, I am doing it because I want friends and family to the know the Lord as I know Him. Living, personal, relational and true. As I stated yesterday, you can't see what I see, because you are on the outside looking in. I've continually shown you the door, and invited you in, but I'm not going to assualt you and drag you in. You have to make the choice, and I pray for the day that you and the others do!

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

October 12th, 2011, 12:07 pm
RIP Killer

WarEr4Christ wrote:
:(

Pablo, I thought you would have something like this to say, and it's sad that your perspective is so anti-God, that you can't even allow yourself the possibility that He might really love you and want to have a relationship with you.

My statement is in no way anti-God, if it is please point it out to me. It is about a child being indoctrinated from birth, which is very disturbing to me.

For example, say a child is born to parents who are very racist (you could insert a number of other issues here). From day one, the child begins to see differences between people and judge them based on that. Now imagine whole communities supporting these beliefs. The child grows up not knowing anything else and unable to think for themselves.

Other racist would obviously not see any issues with this, I do.

Actually, I would claim the opposite of anti-God - I would claim I am much more open to the possibilities than the believers I know. It is not the possibility of God that I reject, it is the man-made and very limited possibilities version that organized religion teaches that I have a problem with. Most believers "think" they have a good grasp on "God" and that their way of "thinking" is right and everyone else is wrong. I think everyone, including myself, is wrong about the concept of God.

There is NO balance in the way 99% of children are taught about God, they are taught to believe exactly the way their parents think which is very sad to me. Why not give children the tools to "choose" - what is everyone so scared of? Expose your kids to many different ways of thinking, that way when they grow up they can actually THINK. Otherwise you are just raising mindless robots...

October 12th, 2011, 12:33 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Pablo wrote:
There is NO balance in the way 99% of children are taught about God, they are taught to believe exactly the way their parents think which is very sad to me. Why not give children the tools to "choose" - what is everyone so scared of? Expose your kids to many different ways of thinking, that way when they grow up they can actually THINK. Otherwise you are just raising mindless robots...

October 12th, 2011, 12:55 pm
QB Coach

Thank you for the correction, I didn't mean to infer the anti-God statement, so much as I was trying to illustrate your standpoint. My generalization was wrong.

You raise a good point about the said racist, but then I could only respond that I can not speak for all of Christianity, nor am I responsible for it. I don't believe I have ever asked you to join an "organized" religion have I? Please show me where I have, I'd like to see it, because I honestly don't remember using any words like that.

I will tell you that I am a NON-Traditionalist Christian, I'm not coining a new phrase, I am trying to illustrate my belief by using that term. The traditional church would have you believe that you go to Church on Sunday, listen to a man (most often) speak, pay a few dollars in the offering plate, and then go back to your daily lives. Let me ask you this:

Where is the strength and power in that?
Where is the relationship in that?

Take a look at the human body, we do not exist on one meal a week, and neither can our Spirit exhist and sustain itself through life in this world on one "meal" a week, prepared and delivered by someone else.

Do you have a maid who comes in, cooks a meal, dishes your plate and then when you sit down, feeds you? Or do you do all that yourself? The same is true with Christians and the Bible. The Bible is God's story of what has happened, what He did to correct what has happened, and why He's done it. It also tells us what will happen in days to come for those who choose not to believe. But there is so much more!!! It is a love story, it's an instruction manual, it's a treaty, a source of peace, and a historical novel of people who truly exhisted, and did some horrible things, and did some wonderful things. The Word changes as you read it, as you understand it, as it gets into you, it becomes deeper and more meaningful. Especially when you see things from this "book" suddenly come about in your daily life, or recall times that it has, and you just read a verse that caused you to remember that time.

All I've ever asked you and many others to do, is consider the relationship! The rest of the stuff comes later when you are ready to do that, if you are ready to do that. You can't fully drive the car until you make the purchase! Then it will take you wherever you want to go. I DON'T WANT YOU TO TAKE MY WORD FOR IT, I WANT YOU TO EXPERIENCE IT FOR YOURSELF. I can tell you all the stories you want to hear, and we can debate truth, and other idiosyncracies until the cows come home, but until we are on the even footing of experience, you aren't able to fully understand how good it really is.

You know Pablo, I don't remember you background, if you are Catholic or not, but this is the easiest "organized" religion to point out, since so many belong and have become disenfranchised with. Catholicism is based upon rules, rituals and do's and don'ts. I even know of a Catholic Church that has instructed it's members that it is a mortal sin to miss mass. The rules and rituals are there, but where is the relationship. Yeah okay, I see God, and Mary, and even baby Jesus, but where's the relationship? Where is the death on the cross so that I might live. These things are readily taught and so people have become bored or calloused to the same old liturgy every Sunday. If I make a mistake I have to go to a man, tell him all of my dirty little secrets and then say a few our fathers, throw a few farthings into the plate, light a candle and call it a day? Does that REALLY teach us what our mistakes do to our Heavenly Father? Would you go and tell your best friend about all the dirty little secrets that you've done outside of your marriage, and then feel good about continuing on in that relationship? The point is, the RELATIONSHIP is hurt when we sin, and if we aren't teaching the relationship, how can we expect people to understand and love the God who's given everything for us to know him.

My Christian belief is relationship driven, and I try to reach as many people as possible with love, care, concern, example, and service. I live my life on parade because I generally love people. I go, and minister because Jesus said to go and make disciples of all men. While He's there, I'm his Ambassador here, and so I'm doing my best to live the example. I don't always do it right, but I try hard because I love HIM, and you in the Lord.

by the way, sorry for the novel. Have a blessed day!

October 12th, 2011, 1:03 pm
QB Coach

Wags: I think it's interesting that you've made two comments in this thread in recent days. The first one seems to apply moreso, in that YOU'VE chosen to stop in this thread knowing what it's about, and then commented "not this STUFF again."

I'm not calling you out, I just found it interesting that you've chosen to come back and take a look, and even read the posts, as obvious by your 2nd post. Welcome back! Hope you enjoy your stay!

October 12th, 2011, 1:06 pm
RIP Killer

WarEr4Christ wrote:
Thank you for the correction, I didn't mean to infer the anti-God statement, so much as I was trying to illustrate your standpoint. My generalization was wrong.

Thanks. I don't want to paint myself as anti-God, far from it. Nor am I even Atheist, but rather an Agnostic still trying to figure things out (although I will side with the Atheist side of arguments for illustrative purposes).

WarEr4Christ wrote:
You raise a good point about the said racist, but then I could only respond that I can not speak for all of Christianity, nor am I responsible for it. I don't believe I have ever asked you to join an "organized" religion have I? Please show me where I have, I'd like to see it, because I honestly don't remember using any words like that.

I will tell you that I am a NON-Traditionalist Christian, I'm not coining a new phrase, I am trying to illustrate my belief by using that term. The traditional church would have you believe that you go to Church on Sunday, listen to a man (most often) speak, pay a few dollars in the offering plate, and then go back to your daily lives. Let me ask you this:

Where is the strength and power in that?
Where is the relationship in that?

There is no power and no relationship, except in the worshippers eyes. Then again, that is almost always the case. Again, if you were brought up a certain way from birth you know no difference. They are doing only what they were taught to do. Herein lies the problem, relationships with "God" are taught and any perceived relationship with him are figments of those teachings. That doesn't make them real despite how real the experience seems to be by the believer.

Just like your relationship and experience is real to you, theirs is equally strong even though you disagree. That is a tell tale sign of the indoctrination process.

WarEr4Christ wrote:
Take a look at the human body, we do not exist on one meal a week, and neither can our Spirit exhist and sustain itself through life in this world on one "meal" a week, prepared and delivered by someone else.

Speaking of the human body, imagine if you only ever tasted one food in your life - say bananas. Now, you can eat bananas as often as you like but is that any sort of "balanced" meal? I for one am certainly glad I've tried other dishes in addition to bananas (which it turns out I'm not a big fan of anyway). Most peoples spirituality relies on eating only bananas which in my mind is bananas!

WarEr4Christ wrote:
Do you have a maid who comes in, cooks a meal, dishes your plate and then when you sit down, feeds you? Or do you do all that yourself? The same is true with Christians and the Bible. The Bible is God's story of what has happened, what He did to correct what has happened, and why He's done it. It also tells us what will happen in days to come for those who choose not to believe. But there is so much more!!! It is a love story, it's an instruction manual, it's a treaty, a source of peace, and a historical novel of people who truly exhisted, and did some horrible things, and did some wonderful things. The Word changes as you read it, as you understand it, as it gets into you, it becomes deeper and more meaningful. Especially when you see things from this "book" suddenly come about in your daily life, or recall times that it has, and you just read a verse that caused you to remember that time.

I wish I had a maid, then I could focus more on my spiritual journey than coming up with new ways to prepare bananas. lol. Funny, your version of the Bible is so one-sided, so warped, you miss the big picture. Think of all the negatives in the Bible as well if you want a fair and accurate depiction of the story told.

WarEr4Christ wrote:
All I've ever asked you and many others to do, is consider the relationship! The rest of the stuff comes later when you are ready to do that, if you are ready to do that. You can't fully drive the car until you make the purchase! Then it will take you wherever you want to go. I DON'T WANT YOU TO TAKE MY WORD FOR IT, I WANT YOU TO EXPERIENCE IT FOR YOURSELF. I can tell you all the stories you want to hear, and we can debate truth, and other idiosyncracies until the cows come home, but until we are on the even footing of experience, you aren't able to fully understand how good it really is.

I've considered the relationship my entire adult (along with part of my adolescent) life. Truth is, you cannot accept that I've choosen a different path and conclusion than you were taught to accept. You can't seem to let this go and accept the fact that everything you were taught could possibly be wrong. Until you are truly willing to consider alternatives you are stuck in a "relationship" not of your own choosing, but of your upbringing. And until you take this step we will never be on even footing of experience and you can't fully understand how a different view of things is really good as well, even better from which you started. Sounds easy, but very difficult.

WarEr4Christ wrote:
You know Pablo, I don't remember you background, if you are Catholic or not, but this is the easiest "organized" religion to point out, since so many belong and have become disenfranchised with. Catholicism is based upon rules, rituals and do's and don'ts. I even know of a Catholic Church that has instructed it's members that it is a mortal sin to miss mass. The rules and rituals are there, but where is the relationship. Yeah okay, I see God, and Mary, and even baby Jesus, but where's the relationship? Where is the death on the cross so that I might live. These things are readily taught and so people have become bored or calloused to the same old liturgy every Sunday. If I make a mistake I have to go to a man, tell him all of my dirty little secrets and then say a few our fathers, throw a few farthings into the plate, light a candle and call it a day? Does that REALLY teach us what our mistakes do to our Heavenly Father? Would you go and tell your best friend about all the dirty little secrets that you've done outside of your marriage, and then feel good about continuing on in that relationship? The point is, the RELATIONSHIP is hurt when we sin, and if we aren't teaching the relationship, how can we expect people to understand and love the God who's given everything for us to know him.

My parents were Catholic, and yes all the rules and rituals were silly. Fortunately, my parents didn't force my way of thinking and allowed me to explore other churches and exposed me to other religions. I was allowed to choose my own path. Initially, I stuck with Christianity primarily out of fear because the reprecusions of moving away from that belief were very scary. Once I moved away from the fear I was finally able to walk down many different paths - all of which have good/bad points and none of which truly give us the real answer - only their own warped version.

WarEr4Christ wrote:
My Christian belief is relationship driven, and I try to reach as many people as possible with love, care, concern, example, and service. I live my life on parade because I generally love people. I go, and minister because Jesus said to go and make disciples of all men. While He's there, I'm his Ambassador here, and so I'm doing my best to live the example. I don't always do it right, but I try hard because I love HIM, and you in the Lord.

by the way, sorry for the novel. Have a blessed day!

I always dig your novels, thanks for taking the time. I also appreciate where within you the passion stems from, even if I see it as a bit misguided. Just as you asked, I would like you to "consider the relationship" you have with God as well.

Now lets look at the definition of "consider" - "Think carefully about (something), typically before making a decision: "each application is considered"."

Truth is you have never "considered" your relationship with God. If you "think" you have, please reread the definition of "consider" and be very honest with yourself.

October 12th, 2011, 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

TheRealWags wrote:
Pablo wrote:

That is exactly how I am raising my kids... let them learn it ALL and then make the decision that is best for them.

NEVER GIVE UP!

October 12th, 2011, 2:35 pm
Modmin Dude

WarEr4Christ wrote:
I'm not calling you out, I just found it interesting that you've chosen to come back and take a look, and even read the posts, as obvious by your 2nd post. Welcome back! Hope you enjoy your stay!

FWIW I try to read every post on the forum, so I scan others I spend more time on.

October 12th, 2011, 3:52 pm
QB Coach

See this is where the rubber hits the road, because you are unaware of the context by which I've come to my conclusion about God. You may be assuming that I grew up in a church going, Christian family. I did not. You may assume that I grew up praying and reading my Bible a lot; I did not. Although I professed to be a Christian, and had heard about the Lord at different times in my life, I didn't have a clue about a relationship with him.

It wasn't until in my early 20's that I began to seek and find and then it went from there. I can tell that you are hungry, and I'm all the more happy to keep you in prayer, because it's not I who will convince you of His existence. I don't want to sour the "friendship" by "not letting go" per se, but I'm not going to let go.

In my mind and more importantly, in my heart, I feel like a man standing on the shore trying to throw a life line to those drowning in the surf. The problem is, they don't realize their drowning, and are unable to see the danger, but because I can see it, I'm willing to make the effort. So I continue to throw the lifeline, only to watch people push it away, or laugh, or make comments about it, but because I care, I continue to throw the lifeline. Will I save them all? No, in fact I won't even save one, because I can't save anyone, I can only point to the one who saved me, and say, "You gotta check this guy out."

I have considered God, and I have made my decision based upon experiences that you could not explain, nor understand. I can assure you that after leaving mom and dad's care and protection I joined the Navy and lived EVERY tradition a Sailor is supposed to, I think I even created a few. But then one evening I was literally called out in such a way that I can not explain it with words, and my heart was instantly impacted and convicted all at the same time. No one was around me, no one said anything to me, I wasn't even considering my younger years. In truth, I was trying to figure out which young lady I was going to pursue for the evening and out of the blue, the Lord spoke to me and stopped me up short. I HEARD IT, I know it, and I even looked around to punch whomever had said it, and there was no one there. As I chewed on that question, I knew right then and there with ABSOLUTE certainty what had happened and who had said it. I then made the choice to correct my life as I understood it. I MADE THE CHOICE, and my life has been a battle between self and service ever since. But I will not abandon Him, especially since He paid such a price for me.

As for the negatives of the Bible, a lot of that has to be understood in context. Some of it shows the debase nature of humanity, incest, sex, murder, adultery and so on, and some of it shows the extreme love of a God who created us for a relationship that our first parents abandoned, and He wants us back. But instead of forcing himself upon us, he gave all mankind free will, the right to choose. He respects the choice we made, inspite of the fact that he's God. He could force us to choose the right path, but then you don't have true love, you have a forced relationship. To be willing to have true love, you must be willing to be rejected by the one you love, and that is what He's done.

So I have much hope that many that I'm praying for will come to know HIm, but I can't make the choice for anyone. In fact, it's kind of like you teaching your son to jump off the dock into your arms. He wants to trust you that you'll catch him, and you can't prove it to him until he jumps. Your son needs to trust and submit, and jump, and then he sees that you'll catch him because you love him. God can not PROVE himself, until you jump with your whole heart. In my minds eye, I see you standing on the dock, or walking on it anyway, contemplating. As one who's jumped, I say jump, you won't be sorry.

By the way, did you ever read EPIC?

October 12th, 2011, 4:14 pm
QB Coach

No worries Wags,

I just thought it was amusing that you commented on a post in a thread that you knew what it was going to be about. I have often thought of using that Abe Lincoln pic for the OSU thread in the college room, because that's getting ridiculous, but then I remind myself, that I'm the one stepping into the room, and so if I get annoyed by it, then I need to not go into it. DUH! (saying this to myself)

So I welcome the opinions of others, its how you learn perspectives and build "chat room friendships."

October 12th, 2011, 4:17 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Pablo wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:

Thanks for sharing.

Honestly this is a child regurgitating what he has been conditioned to by his parents and the church. What really bothers me, in addition, is how this "innocent" child already views/judges others that don't share his views - notably atheist in this case. I find this kind of indoctrination from before a child can think for themselves very disturbing (not just from a religious standpoint either but in any way that will divide people later in life).

That is just my two cents and I'm sure everyone who was "conditioned" into this way of thinking since birth will disagree, how could you not?

If God really wants us to "choose" him, shouldn't people be given the tools to "choose". Poor kid, had no chance to "choose" his belief system...

You are absolutly right...cuz everyone knows that criminals are taught to be criminals at a young age. and Serial killers murder before their teenagers. and no one develops after the age of 5. by that point you are nothing more than a robot right??

I gotta give you a "commmooon maaan". saying that just cuz you are taught something as a child that you wont come to your own conclusions as an adult is simply laughable. how many people do the same jobs as thier parents? listen to the same music? eat the same foods? sure there are similarities but to go as far as you've gone with it??? Comoooon maaan....put the hateraid down for a minute will ya?

( wait till your kids become teenagers....then tell me how the "indoctrination" you've put them through sticks. I'm sure we both can agree that the teenage years are where a person REALLY starts to make the descisions that they may follow for the rest of their lives)

October 12th, 2011, 7:21 pm
RIP Killer

regularjoe12 wrote:
Pablo wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:

Thanks for sharing.

You are absolutly right...cuz everyone knows that criminals are taught to be criminals at a young age. and Serial killers murder before their teenagers. and no one develops after the age of 5. by that point you are nothing more than a robot right??

I gotta give you a "commmooon maaan". saying that just cuz you are taught something as a child that you wont come to your own conclusions as an adult is simply laughable. how many people do the same jobs as thier parents? listen to the same music? eat the same foods? sure there are similarities but to go as far as you've gone with it??? Comoooon maaan....put the hateraid down for a minute will ya?

( wait till your kids become teenagers....then tell me how the "indoctrination" you've put them through sticks. I'm sure we both can agree that the teenage years are where a person REALLY starts to make the descisions that they may follow for the rest of their lives)

laughable? Really cause I know so many kids who were brough up Christian and became Jewish in their teenage years. Oh, and there are all the Muslims teenagers who turn to Buddhism. Faith is not a "taste" like music or food and I hope you aren't telling your kids they are going to hell if they don't like classical music or eat their green beans. There are very little consequences when it comes to taste, but think of the ramifications associated with changing one's faith. There is indeed a very powerful indoctrination process involved here, you gotta be honest here.

I've seen teenagers who might rebel against some of the rules of their faith (thank you to all the Chrisian teenage girls I meet back in the 80's), but their basic belief systems rarely change.

They may "decide" to abide by certain rules of their faith and not to follow others, I think this is where you are getting at. They might stop attending church, but the belief structure almost always sticks. In fact, almost all of the significant faith changes I've seen in older folks was due to a marriage when one spouse succumed to the others.

I could be wrong, perhaps you know a lot of teenagers who do "about faces" and change their belief system. I certainly do not.

October 13th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 40  Next