View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 27th, 2014, 5:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Kid Rock / Made In Detroit 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Kid Rock / Made In Detroit
This was a great weekend! In a lot of ways this was truly an awesome weekend in Detroit.

Not only did I get to watch the Lions win a game in fine style on Friday night; but as I left the game I got to hear some of the Kid Rock show that was still going on at Comerica Park across the street from Ford Field. I have to say, it sounded pretty darn good! What I didn't know then was that on Saturday morning (yesterday morning) I was given 4 tickets to the company suite for Saturday nights Kid Rock show. So I rounded up a client & his wife and a work associate and we all went to see the Kid Rock concert last night.

To be honest I was not a huge Kid Rock fan and other than a few songs I really didn't know a lot of his material. I was more excited about the chance to see Sammy Hagar; his warm up band.

Well, I'm a Kid Rock fan now! And for more than one reason.

The whole show was awesome. There were 3 acts. Detroit's own Ty Stone started off. I never heard of him before, but he was excellent. Then Sammy Hagar, who never ages and never runs out of energy. He was terrific and when he played a medley of old Montrose tunes from circa 1973 it was unbelievable!! ...Until the rain cut his set short. That was the only disappointment of the night.

Kid Rock hit the stage a few minutes before 9:00 PM introduced by none other than Ndamukong Suh!!! The crown went crazy!

Kid Rock's fusion of Rock / Rap / Country / Blues / Soul has something for everyone. It's fun, fresh and Made In Detroit! His show was raw, loud and executed to perfection! He's a brilliant and energetic showman backed by an outstanding band.

Now, I told you all of that so I could tell you this.

He might also be one of the best ambassadors for the city of Detroit that we've ever had. The common threads for this show are his patriotism in the USA and his love for the city he grew up in. Detroit. His message through out the evening was all about trying to make Detroit & Michigan great again. His song "Times Like These" was accompanied by a picture montage of Detroit & Michigan that was moving and energizing. His tribute to our soldiers overseas was heartfelt and credible. I came away very impressed by the professionalism of his show but more importantly, him as a person.

Bob Ritchie will probably never read this thread but I for one want to thank him for an awesome evening and his passion for the motor city & it's people!

Was anybody else at the Kid Rock show this weekend?

August 14th, 2011, 3:16 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Post Re: Kid Rock / Made In Detroit
I actually had met Kid Rock before he really hit it big. I used to be a DJ in my earlier years, and the company I worked for had setups at various bars around the eastern metro area, in cities like Clinton Township, St. Clair Shores, Mt. Clemens. The one bar he would occasionally go into was the VooDoo Lounge in The Clem. I ran into him there a couple times. Nice guy, very approachable and very laid back. He's actually very funny too.....tells some interesting stories about his experiences, to say the least. He also used to hang out at Winners, which was just off I-94 in Harrison Township. I forgot which song, but he actually mentions that bar in one of his bigger hits. Winners and VooDoo Lounge were owned by the same family, and he's good friends with them.

August 22nd, 2011, 8:56 am
Afghan Allstar

Post Re: Kid Rock / Made In Detroit
m2karateman wrote:
I actually had met Kid Rock before he really hit it big. I used to be a DJ in my earlier years, and the company I worked for had setups at various bars around the eastern metro area, in cities like Clinton Township, St. Clair Shores, Mt. Clemens. The one bar he would occasionally go into was the VooDoo Lounge in The Clem. I ran into him there a couple times. Nice guy, very approachable and very laid back. He's actually very funny too.....tells some interesting stories about his experiences, to say the least. He also used to hang out at Winners, which was just off I-94 in Harrison Township. I forgot which song, but he actually mentions that bar in one of his bigger hits. Winners and VooDoo Lounge were owned by the same family, and he's good friends with them.

My cousin used to work at a hotel in the Detroit area and he used to go there quite often. Not sure which hotel, but she said the same thing about him.

August 22nd, 2011, 11:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]