View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 21st, 2014, 1:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Stop Coddling the Super-Rich 
Veteran General Manager

Post Re: Stop Coddling the Super-Rich
Why can't they just simplify the tax code to 3 sentences?

All income earners, ( individuals, companies, investors, fund managers, ect.), pay a set 35% tax for all income. The only legal deductions are $25K/self, and dependents. Businesses have no deductions, other than the total $ amount that they have paid in employee benefits for the year.

Therefore:

A family of 3 would not pay taxes unless they earn more than $75K. Too simple? Too Fair?

August 16th, 2011, 10:13 am
RIP Killer

I would say make it 10k per person/child and we are getting closer.

August 16th, 2011, 10:17 am
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
Why can't they just simplify the tax code to 3 sentences?

All income earners, ( individuals, companies, investors, fund managers, ect.), pay a set 35% tax for all income. The only legal deductions are $25K/self, and dependents. Businesses have no deductions, other than the total $ amount that they have paid in employee benefits for the year.

Therefore:

A family of 3 would not pay taxes unless they earn more than $75K. Too simple? Too Fair?

To be fair, why doesn't everyone pay taxes? When I made $1,500 a year working in a restaurant in college at minimum wage, guess what - I paid taxes.

We all benefit from living in this country and membership shouldn't be free for anyone. You make income, you pay taxes - period. Nearly half (47%) of all households don't pay any federal taxes. I don't care if you make $1 or $1,000,000,000 - lets hold everyone accountable for a change.

August 16th, 2011, 10:28 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

steensn wrote:

I would get rid of the child credit, you shouldn't be paid to have kids IMO.

Joe Fauria, MVP!

August 16th, 2011, 10:47 am
RIP Killer

It's not getting paid to have kids, it is realizing a single person making $40k is much better financially than a person with 3 kids making $40k. IF we are to have a progressive tax system taxing people based on their ability to contribute, then the kid thing seems to be a no brainer.

August 16th, 2011, 10:54 am
Player of the Year - Defense

How about 12% across the board and forget any deductions or credits for anything.

August 16th, 2011, 11:13 am
Veteran General Manager

njroar wrote:
How about 12% across the board and forget any deductions or credits for anything.

I would go as high as 25% with no deductions at all.

August 16th, 2011, 11:22 am
Modmin Dude

steensn wrote:
It's not getting paid to have kids, it is realizing a single person making $40k is much better financially than a person with 3 kids making $40k. IF we are to have a progressive tax system taxing people based on their ability to contribute, then the kid thing seems to be a no brainer.

Sorry, but the Earned Income Credit is exactly like being paid to have kids..the more you have, the more $$$ the Gov't gives you. If you can't afford to raise a child/children, then don't have them/anymore. Seems rather simple to me.

Joe Fauria, MVP!

August 16th, 2011, 11:26 am
Modmin Dude

BillySims wrote:
njroar wrote:

I would go as high as 25% with no deductions at all.

Split the difference? 20%? :wink:

Joe Fauria, MVP!

August 16th, 2011, 11:26 am
RIP Killer

The budding communist in me (just had to say that before Sly could chime in ;) ) still has a hard time having everyone pay the exact same taxes. I have a little bit of reserve not having at minimum cut in point that varies on size of family. That is actually the reason I prefer a national sales tax that is for everything but non-grocery items. It allows the essential to live to be tax free, while getting the income from all non essential items to fund the government. It essentially does what I think needs to happen without being selective.

August 16th, 2011, 11:36 am
Veteran General Manager

steensn wrote:
The budding communist in me (just had to say that before Sly could chime in ;) ) still has a hard time having everyone pay the exact same taxes. I have a little bit of reserve not having at minimum cut in point that varies on size of family. That is actually the reason I prefer a national sales tax that is for everything but non-grocery items. It allows the essential to live to be tax free, while getting the income from all non essential items to fund the government. It essentially does what I think needs to happen without being selective.

I prefer a national sales tax also. It eliminates even having to file a tax return. But, it will never happen because the Government would lose track of how much $ you make each year because you no longer have to report it.

But, with a national sales tax, 3 groups of people who don't currently pay income tax, would then be paying their fair share. They are Pimps, Prostitutes, and drug dealers.

August 16th, 2011, 11:44 am
RIP Killer

I just think it can meet the needs of a progressive tax system and the need for everyone to pay their fair share.

August 16th, 2011, 11:49 am
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
steensn wrote:

I would get rid of the child credit, you shouldn't be paid to have kids IMO.

Agreed. I made the choice (or forgot to wrap up) to have kids, why should I get a tax break for that? Think about it, you pay for their eduction already through property taxes (even if you have no kids). Heck, even my benefits at work make not sense. If you have employee + family, it doesn't matter if you have one kid or ten you pay the same - how is that fair?

No credit, no loopholes, everyone should pay the same percentage.

And I do realize that a single person making the same amount of money as me is much more well of, but that is both of our choices (well unless you are sly and no women in her right mind would take his hand)! :P

August 16th, 2011, 11:50 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Again... I agree with the premise that we should own our decisions. But I also think that we should support and promote good choices. Kids are a blessing and our future. No one is getting "paid" to have kids by not paying $1-$2k of taxes per child. They cost much more than that... besides you have to have a job to get the benefit anyways.

August 16th, 2011, 11:53 am
Player of the Year - Defense

1-2k? You just wanted 10k per child... So the guy making 40k with 3 kids gets 30k back (he doesn't pay 75% in taxes to begin with) while the guy making 40k with no kids pays the normal rate.

Guy with kids pays 14k in taxes at 35%. 3 kids gets him 30k refund, so the government effectively pays him 16k at refund time.

Guy with no kids pays 14k in taxes at 35%.

Effective difference after all is said and done is the person who has kids is 16k richer, while the person with no kids is 14k poorer. Again, how is that system fair?

12% flat tax on both? 4,800 per year. Netting a +$9.2k per family and saving the government 16k.

Good intentions don't necessarily make the better result.

August 16th, 2011, 12:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next