View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 6:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 east coast quake 
Heisman Winner

Post east coast quake
Anyone on the east coast feel the quake today? My first ever earthquake that I've felt. I'm in Pennsylvania a good hour or 2 from Virginia and my house shook for about 5 seconds. Freaked me out for sure...

August 23rd, 2011, 3:24 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: east coast quake
Yup, I'm at the Jersey Shore and things shook lightly for about a minute. If you were standing you probably wouldn't have noticed it. I hope it scares Snookie away.

August 23rd, 2011, 3:27 pm
Modmin Dude

Fox News wrote:
Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake Hits Virginia, Sends Shockwaves Throughout East Coast
Published August 23, 2011 | FoxNews.com
DEVELOPING: An unusually strong magnitude 5.8 earthquake struck Virginia Tuesday afternoon, sending tremors along the East Coast of the United States.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the earthquake was more than three miles deep and struck near Mineral, Va., a city in central Virginia about 83 miles from Washington, D.C. The area is known for its seismic activity, but does not generally produce large earthquakes.

Most of downtown D.C. has since been evacuated, including the U.S. Capitol, the Pentagon and other buildings.

Pictures in the Capitol building reportedly fell from the wall and workers panicked and ran to the exits, apparently fearing a 9/11-style attack. Workers were told not to re-enter the buildings.

There have been no reports of serious structural damage or injuries.

Marine helicopters were seen hovering above the D.C, and there were reports that the Washington Monument may be tilting.

Buildings in New York City shook briefly and the FBI building was evacuated. Flights resumed at John F. Kennedy International Airport and Newark Airport, where control towers were perviously evacuated. Evacuations were felt as north as Canada.

The press corp with President Obama in Martha's Vineyard said they felt slight shaking. Attorney General Eric Holder has been evacuated from the Department of Justice.

Federal officials say two nuclear reactors were taken offline near quake site in Virginia; there was no damage reported. Indian Point, a power plant in New York, said on Twitter that there are no issues at the facility.
The East Coast gets earthquakes, but usually smaller ones and is less prepared than California or Alaska for shaking.

At Reagan National Airport outside Washington, ceiling tiles fell during a few seconds of shaking. Authorities announced it was an earthquake and all flights were put on hold.

The largest earthquake from the area in the past few years have been in the magnitude 4 range.

U.S. weather service says no tsunami expected after East Coast. Subways in New York have not been affected, but the Metro in D.C. has been cancelled.

Phone companies said they are being overwhelmed with phone calls, but said none of their infrastructure have been damaged.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/08/23/ma ... z1VslTPKWR

August 23rd, 2011, 3:34 pm
Heisman Winner

I was playing video games with my cousin, and my chair started shaking. I thought it was my dog playing with the legs of the chair because she does that, then a few seconds later my cousin starts freaking out. His dog started barking and he's like 'there was just an earthquake'. It's the first time I've ever experienced something like this. He's an hour away from me too and we both felt it within 5 seconds of each other which was weird.

August 23rd, 2011, 3:45 pm
RIP Killer

Someone here was from Virginia... not sure who, hope they chime in they were ok.

August 23rd, 2011, 3:50 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

I'm sure they're fine.

http://jmckinley.posterous.com/dc-earth ... evastation

August 23rd, 2011, 3:59 pm
RIP Killer

freep wrote:
The mother of Detroit Tigers ace Justin Verlander assumed the usual when she felt what started as "little rumblings" in her home this afternoon in Maidens, Va.

"Washing machine's out of alignment," she thought.

Then Kathy Verlander realized she wasn't doing any laundry.

As the shaking intensified, she said the family's three dogs "went berserk" before "a couple of things flew off the cabinet."

"I thought, 'It's either an earthquake or the car just blew up,'" she said.

The epicenter of the powerful 5.9-magnitude earthquake that rocked the Mid-Atlantic region shortly before 2 p.m. was reported about four miles southwest of Mineral, Va., near Justin Verlander's hometown.

"The epicenter is less than 10 miles from us, as the crow flies," Kathy Verlander told the Free Press by phone. "Justin just called. I asked, 'Did you feel it in Florida?' He said, 'No. I'm calling to make sure you're OK.'"

Verlander, who won his 19th game of the season Monday night, is with the Tigers in St. Petersburg, where they face the Tampa Bay Rays tonight. He tweeted this afternoon: "Thoughts and prayers are with everyone back home and DC."

Kathy Verlander, who was home alone with their dogs, said she immediately thought of her son, Ben -- a pitcher at Old Dominion -- who was spending the day at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Va. Reached on his cell phone, Ben told her that he was on a roller coaster when the ride suddenly got "really jerky." He said he was fine.

Kathy Verlander laughed when she revealed how she rode out her own "ride," which lasted between 45 seconds and one minute.

"I took the dogs and went into the pantry," she said.

Tweets from other local athletes

• Pistons guard Richard Hamilton: "Wowww just got hit my a earthquake in Maryland. That S was crazy."

• Former Michigan guard Manny Harris: "i thought i was the only one who felt this earthquake in jersey!! but my TL shows me everybody did, so i aint trippin!!"

• Pistons rookie Vernon Macklin: "All my 757 fam good out there? heard about the earthquake."

• U-M defensive tackle Mike Martin: "The Earth is dancing in #AnnArbor & #Detroit?"

• Former U-M linebacker Cato June: "#DMV THAT EARTHQUAKE WAS OFF THE CHAIN!! The entire building was shaking at Anacostia Senior High School!"

• Lions rookie Doug Hogue: "Earthquake in NY smh"

• Former MSU linebacker Eric Gordon: "So everyone felt this earthquake except me."

August 23rd, 2011, 4:32 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran General Manager

This Earthquake is all Jim Millers fault. The former Spartan QB was on Sirius NFL Radio and had just finished ripping Tim Tebow when the ground started shaking. LOL. See what happens when you attack Christians? LOL.

August 23rd, 2011, 4:45 pm
QB Coach

I'm in Philly and definitely felt it. I was actually at Wal Mart and all of a sudden the shelves started heaving and things were flying off them. Kinda crazy. But having lived in Southern California this was not a big deal to me. I'm just glad it didn't hit a major city. The infrastructure here is definitely not designed for it and it would have been a big disaster.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

August 23rd, 2011, 8:11 pm
Modmin Dude

Politico wrote:
Washington Monument cracks in quake
By JENNIFER EPSTEIN | 8/24/11 6:04 AM EDT Updated: 8/24/11 11:43 AM EDT

The earthquake didn’t cause widespread damages or injuries, but it did put a crack in the Washington Monument.

After unconfirmed reports suggested the monument was tilting, park officials said Tuesday night that the 550-foot obelisk suffered a crack in the 5.8-magnitude rumble centered in Mineral, Va., near Charlottesville.

Inspections conducted by helicopter found a crack “at the very, very top” of the monument, park service spokesman Bill Line told The Washington Post, and the monument and plaza surrounding the structure will be closed indefinitely as it is examined.

Though it suffered damage, the monument isn’t leaning, the Park Service said.

The Park Service has also temporarily closed the Lincoln Memorial and the Jefferson Memorial pending further inspection, while other landmarks — including the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial set to be officially unveiled this weekend — remain open.

Damages to the National Building Museum in downtown D.C. have forced organizers to move a Wednesday night gala for the King memorial to the Washington Convention Center, the Associated Press reported.

And ordinary life in Washington isn’t quite back to normal.

The Office of Personnel Management announced early Wednesday that while federal executive branch offices in the area are open, workers are being permitted to take unscheduled leave or choose to work from home for the day.

District of Columbia Public Schools, which opened for students on Monday, are closed for students and staff on Wednesday, the District said. Several districts in Maryland and Virginia are also closed for nonemergency personnel.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/08 ... z1Vy4yneIq

August 24th, 2011, 1:22 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

And Obama kept golfing during the entire thing. :roll:

August 24th, 2011, 1:37 pm
Modmin Dude

slybri19 wrote:
And Obama kept golfing during the entire thing. :roll:

Still railing on this BS? [-X

August 24th, 2011, 1:59 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

As if I need any more reasons to bash Obama, he keeps delivering and giving me more material to work with. :lol:

Wags, I certainly hope that you're not holding your breath waiting for me to stop attacking him because you'll turn blue and die before that ever happens. Just looking out for ya, buddy. :D

August 24th, 2011, 2:27 pm
Modmin Dude

slybri19 wrote:
As if I need any more reasons to bash Obama, he keeps delivering and giving me more material to work with. :lol:

Wags, I certainly hope that you're not holding your breath waiting for me to stop attacking him because you'll turn blue and die before that ever happens. Just looking out for ya, buddy. :D

Rail on him all you want, goodness knows he has given you enough material, I would just say stick to the real topics/issues, not silly made up ones like Presidential vacations. :wink:

August 26th, 2011, 11:41 am
RIP Killer

Wow... really Sly? You actually hurt your case on Obama by poking at clear non-issues. The Presicent doesn't have to stop what he is doing for everything that happens, especially one where no responce is actually required. He has peopl in place for this very reason, they are experts (or supposed to be, Bush didn't do so hot here) in handling specifc needs.

The mark of a good person in a executive position is having the right people in place to handle specific needs and emergencies as he simply cannot be on top of every issue. I can say Bush did a poor job in some cases selecting the right people around him. Was the US gov't responce appropriate in this case? I can't answer that... but it isn't the presidence responcabilty to address every single thing that happens in the US and fight every fight. It is his repsoncability to take care of things the president must take care of and get the right people to take care of the rest.

The quake did not indicate a national emergency, there was major local damage in one area and minor damages in another. Not one person was even seriously injured let alone died in this quake... it is irresoncable to think the president has to be responcable for a responce to this. Even is a 8.0 hit LA the president isn't responcable to do anything about it. It's not his place, its nonsense to even try to find blame here.

August 26th, 2011, 12:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next