View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 6:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Michigan price of living? 
Heisman Winner

Post Michigan price of living?
I know alot of you are from Michigan and I'm actually from PA but I'm looking to move somewhere in Michigan.

Really no reason I'm choosing Michigan in particular, I like the low prices of houses the best. What area is the cheapest to live in? We were looking at places in Flint and they are honestly about 400 dollars cheaper than they are here.

Are jobs really hard to come by or something? I know they are here I've been looking for a decent job for quite a while. I currently do some fencing with some friends but it's not a full time job by any means and obviously would need one to move.

Thanks in advance...My girlfriend is the one who actually brought it up to me and I was like yup thats cool. We were looking into moving about an hour away to a place in Maryland. The price for a 1 bedroom house/apartment that allows pets is over 800. We looked at Flint craigslist and there were 2 bedroom houses for rent for like 500 that allows pets. I obviously would much rather move to Detroit because then season tickets would be on order. :lol:

September 5th, 2011, 6:58 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Michigan price of living?
There are some jobs in Grand Rapids. And GR is outside the Blackout zone.

September 5th, 2011, 7:06 pm
Varsity 1st Team

hamma77 wrote:
I know alot of you are from Michigan and I'm actually from PA but I'm looking to move somewhere in Michigan.

Really no reason I'm choosing Michigan in particular, I like the low prices of houses the best. What area is the cheapest to live in? We were looking at places in Flint and they are honestly about 400 dollars cheaper than they are here.

Are jobs really hard to come by or something? I know they are here I've been looking for a decent job for quite a while. I currently do some fencing with some friends but it's not a full time job by any means and obviously would need one to move.

Thanks in advance...My girlfriend is the one who actually brought it up to me and I was like yup thats cool. We were looking into moving about an hour away to a place in Maryland. The price for a 1 bedroom house/apartment that allows pets is over 800. We looked at Flint craigslist and there were 2 bedroom houses for rent for like 500 that allows pets. I obviously would much rather move to Detroit because then season tickets would be on order. :lol:

Why would you move, as far as you are talking about moving, with out employment lined up in advance? Then mention season tickets???? Please do not move to Michigan if you do not have employment lined up.

September 5th, 2011, 8:24 pm
Heisman Winner

Obviously would get jobs first, we've been looking and are actually going to take a weeks vacation there in a month to hopefully get a better idea of the areas.

September 5th, 2011, 8:53 pm
RIP Killer

Anything seems cheap compared to Carpinteria, CA... but the beach and mountains are worth it.

September 5th, 2011, 8:58 pm
Heisman Winner

steensn wrote:
Anything seems cheap compared to Carpinteria, CA... but the beach and mountains are worth it.

Yeah but here in the PA/MD area everything is crappy to begin with. You'll be lucky to find 1 bedroom apartments for 700 here. We have a dog too which drives the price up even more, I have some friends in Michigan so I know it's cheaper so we started looking into it a little bit ago and found out how much cheaper it really was. Now it's just about finding the right area so we can start looking for jobs.

I'm not sure how much gas, food, and all that is though. We do have a pretty fair gas price here compared to alot of other places I know that, we travel a bit and I don't think I've found a place with cheaper gas than here.

September 5th, 2011, 9:06 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

1) Jobs are impossible to find. It doesn't sound like you have a college degree or anything. You will struggle to find a minimum wage job here, its really that bad.

2) Flint is one of the worst cities in the world in terms of crime and such.

I would advise that you come tour Flint and find employment before you consider moving here. The cost of living is low, but there's a reason the area has been experiencing massive outflows of people.

September 5th, 2011, 9:52 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Blueskies wrote:
1) Jobs are impossible to find. It doesn't sound like you have a college degree or anything. You will struggle to find a minimum wage job here, its really that bad.

2) Flint is one of the worst cities in the world in terms of crime and such.

I would advise that you come tour Flint and find employment before you consider moving here. The cost of living is low, but there's a reason the area has been experiencing massive outflows of people.

And Grand Rapids is growing and has some decent jobs available. Especially in the medical field.

September 5th, 2011, 10:45 pm
Heisman Winner

Yeah she's currently in college for becoming something with x rays or radiation. Not sure the exact course she's taking but yeah. Another thing would be finding a decent college that hopefully she could just transfer too. She did say she'd be willing to change fields though, still in the medical just not the radiation or whatever.

I actually did go to college for Computer Tech and Internet security, but sadly I don't really want to work in the computer field. Found out after I was done that I'm not really that interested in doing it. If I have to do it then I obviously would, but would prefer something else.

September 6th, 2011, 8:28 am
Hall of Fame Player

Well, GR has Grand Valley State U., Western Michigan Campus, And a bunch of smaller colleges.

September 6th, 2011, 8:37 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

GR has what it calls it medical mile where Spectrum Health has really expanded over the years, there is a brand new DeVos Children Hopital, Michigan State has it new medical school, the Van Andel Research Institute, and Grand Valley has a nursing school all along this medical mile. GVSU has it main campus in Allendale, about 12 miles west of downtown GR but they have a very nice campus right downtown which I believe is for juniors and seniors seeking business degrees. WMU, CMU, and Ferris all have extension campuses here and the smaller, private schools if you can afford them include Calvin, Aquinas, Cornerstone and few others that I cannot think of right now.

September 6th, 2011, 9:59 am
RIP Killer

hamma77 wrote:
I actually did go to college for Computer Tech and Internet security, but sadly I don't really want to work in the computer field. Found out after I was done that I'm not really that interested in doing it. If I have to do it then I obviously would, but would prefer something else.

Bummer cuz you can ALWAYS ge t job at a networking IT person.

September 6th, 2011, 10:03 am
RIP Killer

Michigan unemployment is one of the worst in the country (10.9 as of the last report). You are moving from areas that have unemployment rates below the national average in PA (7.8) and MD (7.2).

There is a reason why housing cost in Michigan are so low, nobody can afford a mortgage because they aren't working. You have crime issues, an economy that can falter fast when the auto industry struggles, and crappy weather.

I'd really think this one through first.

September 6th, 2011, 10:08 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

My personal opinion is that for the next 5-10 years you should not buy a house and take a job where you can get one regardless of state and area unless you are some super genious who can get a job anywhere regardless of the economy. Times are changing, the economy is much more fluid and there are no longer centers of industry accept those already established (which are a shadow of their former glory).

Best place to go... Texas or Nashville. Both places seem to have totally dodged the recession somehow.

September 6th, 2011, 10:27 am
Hall of Fame Player

steensn wrote:
My personal opinion is that for the next 5-10 years you should not buy a house and take a job where you can get one regardless of state and area unless you are some super genious who can get a job anywhere regardless of the economy. Times are changing, the economy is much more fluid and there are no longer centers of industry accept those already established (which are a shadow of their former glory).

Best place to go... Texas or Nashville. Both places seem to have totally dodged the recession somehow.

I don't know about Nashville. But $3.80+/gallon is what has Texas' economy roaring along.

September 6th, 2011, 11:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next