View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 4:02 am



Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Michigan price of living? 
Author Message
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3142
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: Michigan price of living?
regularjoe12 wrote:
The only state i have found anywhere near as beautiful and varied (as far as diffferent types of terrain and scenery)as michigan is Minnesota...but they got them damned purple people there so Michigan wins!

I would whole-heartedly disagree with this statement. Don't get me wrong, Michigan is beautiful. I grew up on Lake Michigan, went to school in the UP and have seen darn near most of the state. But it is in no way as varied as some other places. Take California for example. Both have beautiful beaches, lush forests, fantastic lakes. But MI has no mountains. CA has the Sierra Nevada and some of the best skiing/snowboarding in the country. MI has nothing to rival Yosemite. Nor does MI have a truly major city. Sorry Detroit. At less than a million people you don't count as a major city anymore. CA has LA and San Francisco. Plus San Diego is one of the nicest small cities I've ever been to.

All that said, it obviously comes down to personal choice. For my money, I'll take CA scenery and variety over MI any day.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


Last edited by Touchdown Jesus on September 10th, 2011, 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.



September 10th, 2011, 11:33 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: Michigan price of living?
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
The only state i have found anywhere near as beautiful and varied (as far as diffferent types of terrain and scenery)as michigan is Minnesota...but they got them damned purple people there so Michigan wins!

I would whole-heartedly disagree with this statement. Don't get me wrong, Michigan is beautiful. I grew up on Lake Michigan, went to school in the UP and have seen darn near most of the state. But it is in no way as varied as some other places. Take California for example. Both have beautiful beaches, lush forests, fantastic lakes. But MI has no mountains. CA has the Sierra Nevada and some of the best skiing/snowboarding in the country. MI has nothing to rival Yosemite. Not does MI have a truly major city. Sorry Detroit. At less than a million people you don't count as a major city anymore. CA has LA and San Francisco. Plus San Diego is one of the nicest small cities I've ever been to.

All that said, it obviously comes down to personal choice. For my money, I'll take CA scenery and variety over MI any day.


Bingo

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


September 10th, 2011, 11:35 am
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3827
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Michigan price of living?
Quote:
But MI has no mountains.


may not be mountains but the highest point between the two mountain ranges is right by where ya grew up in te kewena.Good enough for me. The skiing is pretty damn good there too...kinda suprised to hear ya say otherwise.

and San diego is nice...But Ill take Traverse over it any day of the week! :wink: When I swim on a beach in travers I get no jelly fish...no sharks...and if i drink the water i dont taste it for the next 2 weeks. And TRY and tell me San Diego is nicer looking. go ahead and try! bigger yes...nicer? not to me. but like you said...matter of opinion.

and the one thing I left out before...the people. as soon as you are north of the "Z" bridge (and you do HAVE TO be north of the Z bridge) the people are awsome. I've been in north Caliu and Southern Cali. It's been my expierinece that Cali folk.....generally....suck. sorry Steensn...yer neighbors irritate the crap outa me.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


September 10th, 2011, 12:33 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: Michigan price of living?
I'll give you the people... they are not as nice. But the scenery... BS...

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


September 10th, 2011, 1:00 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3142
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: Michigan price of living?
regularjoe12 wrote:

may not be mountains but the highest point between the two mountain ranges is right by where ya grew up in te kewena.Good enough for me. The skiing is pretty damn good there too...kinda suprised to hear ya say otherwise.

and San diego is nice...But Ill take Traverse over it any day of the week! :wink: When I swim on a beach in travers I get no jelly fish...no sharks...and if i drink the water i dont taste it for the next 2 weeks. And TRY and tell me San Diego is nicer looking. go ahead and try! bigger yes...nicer? not to me. but like you said...matter of opinion.

and the one thing I left out before...the people. as soon as you are north of the "Z" bridge (and you do HAVE TO be north of the Z bridge) the people are awsome. I've been in north Caliu and Southern Cali. It's been my expierinece that Cali folk.....generally....suck. sorry Steensn...yer neighbors irritate the crap outa me.

Definitely a matter of opinion. If it works for you, I'm happy for you. That's all any of us can ask for. If we're all happy in our lot in lives, then life is good.

But, regarding the skiing, there's no comparison in my opinion. In MI, the longest run you can have is probably 10 minutes. Maybe 20 if you go really really slow and take your time. At Mammoth Mountain in CA, from the summit, it takes a legit 20-30 minutes to get down unless you race. I've run it as quickly as I can without being out of control and it took me around 20 minutes. It's just spectacular winter sports. One way I look at it for evaluation is this: are there major ski/snowboard competitions held at ski resorts in MI? None that I know of. There are many (including x-games events) held at Mammoth. That's a big difference in my opinion.

I will add that there are things that MI has that CA doesn't. A lot of the dunes in MI are better than anything you'll find in CA. Also, the cost of doing things there is a lot less. No question about it. But, like both of us have said, it comes down to personal preference, and I prefer CA (even thought I don't live there now).

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


September 10th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 1:25 am
Posts: 4918
Location: Hills of Auburn
Post Re: Michigan price of living?
california is for hippys and pimps like steensn lol 8-[

_________________
Regards, Alpha|Lionbacker.com \(^o^)/
"I date this girl for two years and then the nagging starts: I wanna know your name..." - Mike Binder


September 13th, 2011, 3:04 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3142
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: Michigan price of living?
theAlphaMale wrote:
california is for hippys and pimps like steensn lol 8-[

Wait, is he a hippy or a pimp? :wink:

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


September 13th, 2011, 4:07 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12141
Post Re: Michigan price of living?
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
theAlphaMale wrote:
california is for hippys and pimps like steensn lol 8-[

Wait, is he a hippy or a pimp? :wink:

Maybe he's both :shock:

Pimpy?
Himp?
:lol:

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


September 13th, 2011, 4:39 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.