View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2014, 11:22 am



Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Michigan price of living? 
Author Message
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: Michigan price of living?
Certainly doesn't hurt, but even with that they should have still seen a decline.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


September 6th, 2011, 11:46 am
Profile
Online
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9489
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Michigan price of living?
BillySims wrote:
steensn wrote:
My personal opinion is that for the next 5-10 years you should not buy a house and take a job where you can get one regardless of state and area unless you are some super genious who can get a job anywhere regardless of the economy. Times are changing, the economy is much more fluid and there are no longer centers of industry accept those already established (which are a shadow of their former glory).

Best place to go... Texas or Nashville. Both places seem to have totally dodged the recession somehow.


I don't know about Nashville. But $3.80+/gallon is what has Texas' economy roaring along.


First, the recession didn't totally dodge Texas (not sure about Nashville), it just hurt less here. I've got a number of neighbors who have been out of work a long time.

Second, home prices really hurt much of the country but here in Texas home prices were already low so there wasn't nearly the drag on the economy from falling real estate prices as elsewhere. In addition, the economy is pretty diverse down here so one or two industies going down isn't devastating.

If you are interested in a solid economic climate, affordable housing, and warm weather - come on down (we have room).

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


September 6th, 2011, 12:03 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: Michigan price of living?
Go down and build some wind turbines!!! HAHA!

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


September 6th, 2011, 1:09 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: Michigan price of living?
I take back the Nashville remark... I guess they joined the rest of the country this year!

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


September 6th, 2011, 1:15 pm
Profile
Heisman Winner

Joined: December 8th, 2008, 3:16 pm
Posts: 785
Post Re: Michigan price of living?
Gas here is still under 3.50. I looked on gasbuddy at some places in Michigan seems to be between 365-375.

I'm going to try to talk her out of it or somewhere else. Maybe WV or something, we do live about an hour from her current school so getting closer would probably be just as good for her. Really not sure why she wants Michigan other than the price but I don't think she understands how hard getting a job is. (We've both been looking for a job for 5+ months here in pa, so I don't even want to know how long it'll take in MI)


September 6th, 2011, 2:04 pm
Profile
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post Re: Michigan price of living?
Word of advice. Move to a Red Sate since they will create jobs. Avoid Blue States at all costs since they will bleed jobs. MI and PA both seem to be turning Red from Blue, but I'd opt for a place with more certainty.

_________________
Image


September 7th, 2011, 12:42 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 1:25 am
Posts: 4918
Location: Hills of Auburn
Post Re: Michigan price of living?
I disagree with the rest of the folks here. Finding a job is about being smart. My friend moved back here from out of state in the past month. His girlfriend who was from Cali originally and has no ties here found a job within a week of getting here after going on 7 interviews. There are jobs for sure. The unemployment rate is somewhat deceiving and points to a much improved rate from what I think was in the high teens not long ago. My company has been hiring people on a regular basis. Tech jobs are abundant.

I live in Auburn Hills where there were plenty of lay offs over the last 5 years but as business has picked up so has the hiring...at a pretty high rate.

I do agree that you need a plan but if you are young and willing there is no reason not to try something new out. Rent and be responsible with your money and it won't cost much. There are jobs despite what a bunch of people from other states on here are saying lol.

And believe it or not I have been looking at houses and the ones I see I like are moving very fast now.

_________________
Regards, Alpha|Lionbacker.com \(^o^)/
"I date this girl for two years and then the nagging starts: I wanna know your name..." - Mike Binder


September 8th, 2011, 11:22 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9888
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Michigan price of living?
OMG.....Alpha LIVES!!!!!

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


September 8th, 2011, 11:36 am
Profile
Online
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9489
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Michigan price of living?
m2karateman wrote:
OMG.....Alpha LIVES!!!!!


and in Michigan apparently. Guess he has been hiding out in Auburn Hills. :-$

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


September 8th, 2011, 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7430
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Michigan price of living?
I agree with Alpha.

I live near Grand Rapids. And there are some good jobs in a variety of fields in GR. Especially the Medical Field. But, Manufacturing is doing alright in GR also.

The Jobs are there. You might have to take a lesser job at first just to get your foot in the door. But, they are there.


September 8th, 2011, 10:21 pm
Profile
Online
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2692
Post Re: Michigan price of living?
Quote:
I do agree that you need a plan but if you are young and willing there is no reason not to try something new out. Rent and be responsible with your money and it won't cost much. There are jobs despite what a bunch of people from other states on here are saying lol.

And believe it or not I have been looking at houses and the ones I see I like are moving very fast now.


Where in Michigan do you live?

I live in SE Michigan. I am in my early-middle 20s. I have many friends who are recent college graduates or don't have degrees. They are either:

1) Unemployed

or

2) Working a job for very low pay and living at home

(Both the grads and the non-grads, though, on average I think the graduates are slightly better off)

I have friends with Michigan degrees that are working as servers at restaurants. Almost everyone I know with a decent paying job had to leave the state to find work. Most of them are engineers.

The great thing about Michigan is that since we've been in depression mode for nearly the last decade, we've already hit bottom and the rest of the country is just now coming to our level. But the longer-term prospects for this state simply are not good. There is no reason for talent to come here.

We have no major cities to attract industry. The weather sucks. We've been facing so much adverse selection over the past 20 years that an increasing majority of the states population are extremely poor or very old. Its unfortunate, because its where I was born and raised (and still reside for that matter). But every other place in the country I've been to is noticeably better in some way. When I lived in northern CA for a few months it was like heaven compared to this state.


September 9th, 2011, 12:48 am
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3139
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: Michigan price of living?
I don't live in MI now, but my older brother does and he's very tied into the economic situation around Detroit. From what he tells me, people who are highly skilled and not looking solely at the auto industry can definitely find jobs. For example, he says the high tech and biotech/health care industry is thriving around Ann Arbor. In my opinion, the issue with a lot of engineers not being able to find work in SE Michigan is due to them mostly being connected to the auto industry. If people were more willing to branch out and do something besides what they've always known, there would be more opportunities.

Of course, this is all said from the outside looking in, so take my opinion with a grain of salt...

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


September 9th, 2011, 1:38 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 1:25 am
Posts: 4918
Location: Hills of Auburn
Post Re: Michigan price of living?
Blueskies wrote:
Where in Michigan do you live?

I live in SE Michigan. I am in my early-middle 20s. I have many friends who are recent college graduates or don't have degrees. They are either:

1) Unemployed

or

2) Working a job for very low pay and living at home

(Both the grads and the non-grads, though, on average I think the graduates are slightly better off)

I have friends with Michigan degrees that are working as servers at restaurants. Almost everyone I know with a decent paying job had to leave the state to find work. Most of them are engineers.

The great thing about Michigan is that since we've been in depression mode for nearly the last decade, we've already hit bottom and the rest of the country is just now coming to our level. But the longer-term prospects for this state simply are not good. There is no reason for talent to come here.

We have no major cities to attract industry. The weather sucks. We've been facing so much adverse selection over the past 20 years that an increasing majority of the states population are extremely poor or very old. Its unfortunate, because its where I was born and raised (and still reside for that matter). But every other place in the country I've been to is noticeably better in some way. When I lived in northern CA for a few months it was like heaven compared to this state.


I live in SE Michigan as well. And I will respond to a few things. Obviously everything is anecdotal so it is what it is but I work in the automotive sector and have seen lots of changes.

Yes, there are low paying jobs for new workers. That actually is a much more sustainable model than grads expecting to leave college and make 60+k a year. We had a contractor/intern start here for about 10 an hour. She has worked almost a year...struggled because she has had no help and her parents do not live in this state. Because she is smart and a great work she will is going to have her pay more than doubled in the next couple weeks. New grads have to put their time in, have to show they can do the job and do it well but if you do it will pay off. She will be making close to 50k soon and won't even have her degree till next summer.

The outlook isn't fantastic now...but getting that first job is critical, as most people will tell you that degree is nice but you have to prove you can do the work. And consider this, we have an aging workforce, very close to having large numbers of people on the verge of retirement...there will some amazing opportunities over the next 5-10 years for young workers as companies loose the boomers to retirement. Get in now...the pay off will be huge.

As to Michigan, its not for everyone just like California isn't for everyone. I have lots of friends who have moved from California and Vegas to Michigan because they wanted to raise their family here over there.

_________________
Regards, Alpha|Lionbacker.com \(^o^)/
"I date this girl for two years and then the nagging starts: I wanna know your name..." - Mike Binder


September 9th, 2011, 7:48 am
Profile WWW
Online
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3819
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Michigan price of living?
wow am I the only one from the flint area on this board?

Ok here's the REAL scoop of Genesee county. There ARE jobs here......just not many. the good news is that the medical field and financial fields are hiring. retail...hiring. Fast food....hiring. so there ARE jobs. just be VERY cautious as to what tyre of work you are looking for cuz outside of those types of fields the pickings are kinda slim. trying to be a teacher. police officer, fireman, or anything like that? good luck..


Houses are CHEAP AS HELL..INSIDE the city of flint...but there is a reason for it. I personally bought a house for about 15K MORE than what it would have cost just to stay out of flint. but i still got my house super cheap. when you come for your visit look more at places like Davison, Swartz Creek, Burton, and Clio. You can find darn nice properties for realtivly low prices and be right next to flint where you are most likly to land a job.

Truth is the Economy DOES suck here...but it sucks everywhere so how much you weigh that as a factor is kinda up to you. I have been to California, was born in Texas, vacationed in WV, tenesssee, and all the various other places mentioned....and I'd pick Michigan over them every time....even with the finacial climate being what it is. The only state i have found anywhere near as beautiful and varied (as far as diffferent types of terrain and scenery)as michigan is Minnesota...but they got them damned purple people there so Michigan wins!

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


September 10th, 2011, 9:50 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: Michigan price of living?
regularjoe12 wrote:
The only state i have found anywhere near as beautiful and varied (as far as diffferent types of terrain and scenery)as michigan is Minnesota...but they got them damned purple people there so Michigan wins!


ummm.... you can have it!

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


September 10th, 2011, 11:08 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.