View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 21st, 2014, 9:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Man charged with Obama assassination attempt 
Modmin Dude

Post Man charged with Obama assassination attempt
USA Today wrote:
Man charged with Obama assassination attempt
A 21-year-old man accused of firing a semiautomatic rifle at the White House last week has been formally charged with attempting to assassinate President Obama or members of his staff.

Ramiro Ortega-Hernandez, of Idaho Falls, Idaho, will be tried in federal court in Washington, D.C., federal officials said.

If convicted, Ortega-Hernandez could face life in prison.

Law enforcement agents have been investigating whether Ortega-Hernandez -- accused of firing at least two bullets at the White House -- acted out of hatred for Obama, according to published reports.

President Obama, who is on a trip to the Asia Pacific region, was not at home at the time of the shooting.

Ortega-Hernandez, arrested Wednesday near Pittsburgh, made his first court appearance today in that city.

"Ortega sat quietly as the hearing began, his hands free but his feet shackled," reported the Associated Press. "The 21-year-old said only, "Yes, ma'am" when he was asked if he understood that he would be going back to Washington to face the charge.

Added the AP:

Quote:
Authorities said a man clad in black who was obsessed with Obama pulled his car within view of the White House on Friday night and fired shots from an assault rifle, cracking a window of the first family's living quarters while the president was away.

Soon after, U.S. Park Police found an abandoned vehicle, with an assault rifle inside it, near a bridge leading out of the nation's capital to Virginia. The car led investigators to Ortega.

The FBI took custody of Ortega's car Thursday afternoon to continue the process of reviewing evidence, said Lindsay Godwin, a spokeswoman for the FBI's Washington field office.

Police in Pennsylvania arrested Ortega-Hernandez yesterday on suspicion of firing a semiautomatic rifle at the White House on Friday night, with one bullet striking a bulletproof window in the residential part of the building.

The Secret Service reported that one bullet struck an upstairs window on the south side of the White House -- the residential portion of the building -- but was stopped by bulletproof glass.

Another bullet struck the exterior of the building, though the service has not said exactly where.

This has all taken place since Obama left for a nine-day trip to Hawaii, Australia and Indonesia.

The Washington Post reported:

Quote:
Ortega-Hernandez, whose permanent place of residence is unclear, has a record of arrests on minor counts in Texas, Utah and Idaho, authorities said. They said they have not linked him to any radical organizations.

In trying to determine why he recently traveled to the nation's capital from the western part of the country, investigators searched the Occupy D.C. campground near the White House but have found no connection between him and the Occupy protesters, according to three law enforcement officials familiar with the case.

One of the officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity because the investigation is continuing, said the motive for the gunfire might have been simple anger: Ortega-Hernandez "hates the president, he hates Washington, he hates society," the official said.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... at-obama/1

Joe Fauria, MVP!

November 17th, 2011, 4:32 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Post Re: Man charged with Obama assassination attempt
Before anybody asks, No, I am not Ramiro Ortega-Hernandez. :lol:

November 17th, 2011, 5:37 pm
League MVP

no I believe you'd be smarter than some idiot randomly firing at the white house! Thats just.....well..."here's your Sign" stupid!

November 17th, 2011, 6:34 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

See, even the idiots want Obama out of the White House :lol:

BUt.....how can a man being accused of trying to kill the president if his shots missed by over 2000 miles?????? I could understand if the Pres. was home at the time but come on.........

November 17th, 2011, 8:18 pm
Modmin Dude

Politico wrote:
Alleged W.H. shooter: I am modern-day Jesus

By MJ LEE | 11/18/11 7:15 AM EST Updated: 11/18/11 9:27 AM EST

Oscar Ramiro Ortega-Hernandez, the 21-year-old man charged with attempting to assassinate President Barack Obama by firing shots at the White House, allegedly recorded a video pitch to send to Oprah Winfrey, in which he claims he is the “modern day Jesus Christ.”

“You see Oprah, there is still so much more that God needs me to express to the world. It’s not just a coincidence that I look like Jesus. I am the modern day Jesus Christ that you all have been waiting for,” Ortega-Hernandez says in a video shown on WTTG Fox 5.

The Washington, D.C., station says it obtained a portion of the video which Secret Service learned about earlier this week from Ortega-Hernandez’s girlfriend. The tape is reportedly 45 minutes long and recorded two months ago with the help of an Idaho University student, and also includes “rants” against the government, including accusations that it is waging war for oil.

Ortega-Hernandez was charged with attempting to assassinate the president on Thursday after being arrested in western Pennsylvania the previous day. At a court hearing in Pittsburgh, the Idaho man was ordered to be transferred to Washington to face the new charge.

Last Friday, the sound of gunshots being fired were heard near the White House, and two vehicles were seen speeding away on Constitution Ave. near the White House. Soon after, an AK-47 was discovered inside of a vehicle at 23rd St. and Constitution Ave.

Idaho University professor Tom Hallaq told WTTG that they never considered turning the tape over to authorities because they saw no significant threats in it.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/11 ... z1e4RuiOzh

Joe Fauria, MVP!

November 18th, 2011, 11:22 am
League MVP

so the guy thinks he's jesus...and then tries to assasinate someone?

wow man......just wow!

November 18th, 2011, 11:42 am
RIP Killer

So Harold Camping was right afterall? :shock:

November 18th, 2011, 12:20 pm
Profile WWW
How do you charge someone with an assanation attempt when the Pres wasn't even home???

:arrow: :idea:

November 18th, 2011, 6:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]