View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 1st, 2014, 2:01 am



Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Thoughts on Santorum 
Author Message
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3119
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: Thoughts on Santorum
WarEr4Christ wrote:
TDJ: i understand his faith really scares some people, and some people even infer that he will use the position of POTUS to drive everyone into the church, and that's not true at all. But misinformation will do that for you.

This ticket could go either way, in fact I think it's interesting that all four guys represent something that America wants, and what we need to do is figure out how we can effectively put all four in office, and rescue this country.

Having said that, I am curious as to how Romney can differentiate between himself and Obama. I know this is a talking point that's being used, but in truth, there isn't a huge gap between Romney and Obama, and so we'd be getting a different face, but basically the same thing, which leads to Pablo's point.

However, Santorum is Ethical, has Integrity, owned up to and accepted his failures and vowed to do better, and is the ANTI-Obama, PRO-American candidate. I'm not saying that the others are not, but of the two "front runners" Santorum is more ANTI-Obama than Romney, and that's probably going to weigh heavily in November.

You can keep referencing faith all you want, it doesn't make it true. I have no issues with anyone's faith. I define faith as a person's relationship with whatever higher power they believe in. Being a religious zealot, however, I do have a problem with. I define religion as a man-made set of arbitrary rules/activities. They change over time and are not necessarily based in facts or reality (see Catholicism believing the world was flat for a long time). This is much different than faith.

Also, as has been pointed out on here before, Santorum is basically doing the same thing as all the other candidates. He's changed his positions as a candidate vs how he actually voted. Yes he now says things were mistakes. That to me is just pandering. If he really truly believes in and is a bastion of conservatism (as some seem to believe he is), then how could he possibly have voted for large government increases? It's just interesting to me that people will believe what "their" candidate says with regards to making a mistake and/or changing their minds, but the "other" candidate is a flip flopper or a liar.

It's all a ruse in the end. Nothing much ever changes. Taxes collected by the government are always about the same (around 16-18% of GDP historically), our day-to-day lives aren't dramatically impacted one way or another regardless of who is in office, etc. At the end of the day, 40% will always vote democrat, 40% will always vote republican, and the other 20% decide the elections.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


March 14th, 2012, 11:36 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9378
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Thoughts on Santorum
WarEr4Christ wrote:
I've also heard over the course of this time frame that we have the perfect Republican Candidate in 4 men. Each brings his own strengths and character to the table, but not one has all four. So how could we incorporate the 4 in one, in the same term?

Thoughts?


Basially, you then have ZERO good candidates and have to try to package them all together to make up for it. Is that what we have come too? This country needs a great leader, not a bunch of guys with a ton of weaknesses that all add up to something OK.

This isn't surprising, once again given the pattern of American presidential elections. Since you typically can't beat an incumbent, you get a very weak field from the opposite party to run against him.

The Republicans should have better candidates in 2016 when they will have a really good shot to win the election.

BTW - latest job numbers looked good again which is good news for Obama.

TJ summed it up good at the end, still Coke/Pepsi all doing the same thing. Taxes collected will be a lot less than what is spent further mortgaging our future (and look where the mortage crisis took us, that is nothing compared to what is ahead for our children).

WE4C, you are part of the 40% Republican and your vote will have very little impact on the election. The 20% who will won't see a viable Rep candidate and as I have pointed out the improving economy is enough for them to re-elect Obama. Game over!

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


March 14th, 2012, 11:52 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 26th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Posts: 3039
Location: Elkhart, In.
Post Re: Thoughts on Santorum
But at least I will have voted for the man who is in keeping with my moral world view.

Job numbers are incorrect, as they do not correctly show the numbers of people who gave up looking, or have fallen off the meter. It's a skewed number.

As for the media to keep playing this as a good thing, we might as well call our main line media, PRAVDA. The notorious Russian news that was known for propaganda, and sold many copies because it was of better quality then Russian toliet paper, and in ready supply.

Integrity, character, ethics these are the things that matter to me. By operating out of these, you will make the best possible decision based upon a true sense of morals and conscience. I don't need you to believe me, nor agree with me, as this is my view.

As I have said MANY times, who surrounds the candidates? Bill Friese is just one person I mentioned who is a close personal friend of Rick Santorum. I'd stack this phsychotic, money giving, evangelical, born agains Christian radical up against Ayers, Wright, Jackson, Sharpton, Von Jones, Pelosi, Reid any day, and STILL HAVE more ethical character than the whole lot. Just sayin!!!

_________________
2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


March 14th, 2012, 1:08 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9378
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Thoughts on Santorum
WarEr4Christ wrote:
Job numbers are incorrect, as they do not correctly show the numbers of people who gave up looking, or have fallen off the meter. It's a skewed number.


First, I'm talking about the number of new jobs created which is not skewed, not those looking for new jobs. Second, the jobless rate remained unchanged for the opposite reason - many have re-entered the job market since job numbers are up.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


March 14th, 2012, 1:30 pm
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2741
Post Re: Thoughts on Santorum
and yet overall and with women, his approval #'s are slipping again. People are smart enough to know any comeback with the economy has been for the top 1%. To everyone else its just as bad as it has been and his policies haven't improved anything for them.

When 50% think Obama's policies have failed when it comes to the economy, that's not good. Especially from the NYT polls.


March 14th, 2012, 4:20 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9378
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Thoughts on Santorum
njroar wrote:
People are smart enough


NO, they are not. His approval rating are right back to where presidents generally get re-elected. And the 200K+ people getting jobs every month are not in the top 1% I would suspect.

FYI - the Times poll is an outlier as compared to other one's taken recently so take that with a grain of salt. He had nice gains in polls just released by Pew and Reuters. It is better to look at a Poll that is a group of Polls like Pollster rather than any one individual Poll that might be skewed.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


March 14th, 2012, 4:32 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: Thoughts on Santorum
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:
TDJ: i understand his faith really scares some people, and some people even infer that he will use the position of POTUS to drive everyone into the church, and that's not true at all. But misinformation will do that for you.

This ticket could go either way, in fact I think it's interesting that all four guys represent something that America wants, and what we need to do is figure out how we can effectively put all four in office, and rescue this country.

Having said that, I am curious as to how Romney can differentiate between himself and Obama. I know this is a talking point that's being used, but in truth, there isn't a huge gap between Romney and Obama, and so we'd be getting a different face, but basically the same thing, which leads to Pablo's point.

However, Santorum is Ethical, has Integrity, owned up to and accepted his failures and vowed to do better, and is the ANTI-Obama, PRO-American candidate. I'm not saying that the others are not, but of the two "front runners" Santorum is more ANTI-Obama than Romney, and that's probably going to weigh heavily in November.

You can keep referencing faith all you want, it doesn't make it true. I have no issues with anyone's faith. I define faith as a person's relationship with whatever higher power they believe in. Being a religious zealot, however, I do have a problem with. I define religion as a man-made set of arbitrary rules/activities. They change over time and are not necessarily based in facts or reality (see Catholicism believing the world was flat for a long time). This is much different than faith.

Also, as has been pointed out on here before, Santorum is basically doing the same thing as all the other candidates. He's changed his positions as a candidate vs how he actually voted. Yes he now says things were mistakes. That to me is just pandering. If he really truly believes in and is a bastion of conservatism (as some seem to believe he is), then how could he possibly have voted for large government increases? It's just interesting to me that people will believe what "their" candidate says with regards to making a mistake and/or changing their minds, but the "other" candidate is a flip flopper or a liar.

It's all a ruse in the end. Nothing much ever changes. Taxes collected by the government are always about the same (around 16-18% of GDP historically), our day-to-day lives aren't dramatically impacted one way or another regardless of who is in office, etc. At the end of the day, 40% will always vote democrat, 40% will always vote republican, and the other 20% decide the elections.



This is generally how I feel about Santorum as well.


March 19th, 2012, 11:54 am
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9378
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Thoughts on Santorum
LOL

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politic ... y-article-

Quote:
Rick Santorum explodes on New York Times reporter Jeff Zeleny after calling Romney ‘worst Republican in the country’

Rick Santorum doesn’t think the media can handle the truth.

Campaigning in Racine, Wisc., on Sunday, the candidate blew up at a reporter who questioned him about a remark he made about how Mitt Romney is “the worst Republican in the country to put up against Barack Obama.”

New York Times reporter Jeff Zeleny approached Santorum after the speech as he was signing campaign posters, asking him to clarify the comment.

"You said Mitt Romney was the worst Republican in the country. Is that true?" Zeleny can be heard asking in a video obtained by “CBS This Morning.”

"What speech did you listen to?" a disgusted-looking Santorum shot back. "Stop lying! I said he was the worst Republican to run on the issue of Obamacare. And that’s what I was talking about!"

The confrontation quickly escalated with Santorum becoming visibly angry.

"Would you guys quit distorting what I’m saying?" he says in the video, arguing he was simply repeating a point he has stressed on the campaign trail that Romney is "uniquely disqualified" to beat Obama when it comes to health care.

"Quit distorting my words,” Santorum continued. “If I see it, it’s bulls—! Come on, man! What are you doing?"

"You sound upset about something," Zeleny responded.

"I'm upset when the media distorts what I say, yeah, I am, I do get upset," the former Pennsylvania senator said, shaking his head. "What are you guys in the business of doing, reporting the truth or are you here to try to spin and make news? Stop it! You don’t care about the truth, do you? Asking that question shows me you don’t care at all about the truth."

In an interview on CBS’ “This Morning,” Zeleny told Charlie Rose he had "simply asked for clarification” and that he thought Santorum’s outburst was done for dramatic effect.

“He said in his speech to a room full of supporters that he believes Mitt Romney is the worst Republican in the country. Health care was not attached to that sentence in his sound bite there, so [I was] simply asking him for clarification,” Zeleny said. “It is a very common tactic for Republican presidential candidates, or even Democratic presential candidates, to try and use the media as a foil here... So he clearly knew the cameras were rolling here.”

Santorum argued Zeleny was "aggressively attacking him” in an email to supporters, and defended himself again in an appearance on “Fox & Friends” on Monday.

"I just said, ‘Okay, I've had enough of this you-know-what,’" Santorum said. "And so that's what I did and you know, look, we're out there slugging away... and we're mixing it up."

Colleagues of Zeleny expressed surprise at Santorum’s portrayal of the mild-mannered Times reporter.

“I’ve never seen @jeffzeleny ‘aggressively attack’ anything other than a long run or a nice meal,” CNN reporter Peter Hamby tweeted.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


March 26th, 2012, 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3713
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Thoughts on Santorum
if that was anything like the old outburst by Dean, Sanitorum is done for....

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


March 26th, 2012, 1:59 pm
Profile
Post Re: Thoughts on Santorum
regularjoe12 wrote:
if that was anything like the old outburst by Dean, Sanitorum is done for....



Hopefully that's true, he'll have to drop out, and Newt can take his delegates and the real conservative votes. Again, Newt is the only candidate that can beat Obama.


March 26th, 2012, 2:04 pm
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9378
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Thoughts on Santorum
regularjoe12 wrote:
if that was anything like the old outburst by Dean, Sanitorum is done for....


I wouldn't go that far, Dean's soundbite was radio/tv gold...

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


March 26th, 2012, 2:32 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3713
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Thoughts on Santorum
Pablo wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
if that was anything like the old outburst by Dean, Sanitorum is done for....


I wouldn't go that far, Dean's soundbite was radio/tv gold...


hence the qualifier "if" lol. I havent heard the "outburst" yet so im not sure. But yeah I agree about the soundbite gold. I think the Daily Show still uses it every now and then. Dean went nuts and was darn near foaming at the mouth.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


March 26th, 2012, 2:42 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 26th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Posts: 3039
Location: Elkhart, In.
Post Re: Thoughts on Santorum
I have heard it, and he clearly tells the reporter that you have been "twisting my words, what I said was...." There is banter back and forth where Santorum continues to correct the mans statements, and then says something to the effect of getting it right because this is just bull(*#Q.

I don't see anything that is detrimental, in fact I think there have been other gaffs that may do more harm. What I am surprised at, is the blank check Obama is writing himself for the next 4 years, and they're creating a race war to assist him in that process. How disgusting!

_________________
2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


March 26th, 2012, 8:57 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2741
Post Re: Thoughts on Santorum
He's already fallen too far behind. He has to win 75% of the remaining delegates and most of the remaining states will go to Romney.

As to the Bulls*it comment, it wouldn't be bad for any of the other candidates, but for Santorum it goes against everything he's said he believes in. He's cracking to the pressure.


March 26th, 2012, 9:26 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 26th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Posts: 3039
Location: Elkhart, In.
Post Re: Thoughts on Santorum
I find it laughable that people of faith, especially those in the spotlight, are put up on a pedastal and then discredited when the fall. He's a man, he's already fallen. Just because you have a faith in Jesus Christ doesn't make you perfect, just forgiven and that's all. We're so quick to worship or idolize something or someone, and yet when they get exposed for being just like us, we trash em.

I've known more Catholics to swear worse than Sailors, than not. There was even a clip done about W calling a NYT reporter a major league a hole.

You might even be surprised that some foul words come from my mouth from time to time, but does that discredit me? Only if you expect me to be perfect, and we all know that I'm not.




The simple fact is, we are going to get the President that we deserve as a nation. In looking at the decline of our morality, our desire to kill our young, and many other sicknesses, and you can see that a man who has a strong sense of morality was NOT going to fair well. We want to keep drinking from the vomit bucket.

_________________
2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


March 27th, 2012, 8:13 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.