View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2014, 12:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Cost To Drive a Volt 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Cost To Drive a Volt
Weird, Ive always heard the opposite (never buy used). No Warranty (if buying from Owner and not dealer) , financing usually sucks (% wise) or is nonexistent.

Ive always preferred buying new unless I am desperate and buying a clunker anyways to try and milk the final year or two out of it.

That said, we got down to 3 cars after researching and testdriving all weekend.. the Prius C (for the Gas Mileage), the Honda Civic (Best Technology ICE we tested) and the Chevy Cruze (American, Fits our fata$$es better, and had best space by far (trunk and cabin).

With them all comprably priced we ended up going with the Cruze for the space inside. Ive heard good things and her dad bought 1 a year ago and has already put 20k on it as a commuter and loves it. We were very close to the Prius but considering we have 2 dogs, do big shopping trips (costco/warehouse stores), and want to have kids soon the prius just didnt have the room inside we figured wed need for the family, and my car is a 2 seater eclipse, so this needed to be a midsize vehicle.

Thanks for the input.

May 29th, 2012, 12:43 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
League MVP

I'm with Wags....by buying a car with 30k on it and 2-3 years old you can save up to 6-8 thousand dollars. no joke and no exageration. I bought new ONCE....and after paying on it for 3 years (5 year loan) if I totaled the car out i still would have owed more than it was worth. NEVER again! AND you can always buy a 2nd party warrantee for a reasonable price later in the vehicles life (after the factory one runs out). NEVER buy that extra warrantee up front though. they will roll that price into the loan and you'll be paying intrest on it as well.

May 30th, 2012, 11:43 am
If you want to buy a Cruise, I'd buy used. If you want a Prius or Volt, I'd buy new. No one knows how long those batteries are going to last, and it's an uber costly repair.

One thing to consider DJ - If you really like the Cruise and you're only going to have it 3 years or less, you may want to consider a Malibu. They're pretty nice, get very similar gas mileage (I think the difference is 3mpg, less than 10% less, and it's a much bigger car, and its a much more friendly car in terms of space, comfort, and ride. on top of that they're selling for around $3k less. Again, trying to make up that $3k difference in sales price in terms of fuel economy over the next 3 years is going to be near impossible.

May 30th, 2012, 1:01 pm
RIP Killer

DJ-B wrote:
Weird, Ive always heard the opposite (never buy used). No Warranty (if buying from Owner and not dealer) , financing usually sucks (% wise) or is nonexistent.

Ive always preferred buying new unless I am desperate and buying a clunker anyways to try and milk the final year or two out of it.

That said, we got down to 3 cars after researching and testdriving all weekend.. the Prius C (for the Gas Mileage), the Honda Civic (Best Technology ICE we tested) and the Chevy Cruze (American, Fits our fata$$es better, and had best space by far (trunk and cabin).

With them all comprably priced we ended up going with the Cruze for the space inside. Ive heard good things and her dad bought 1 a year ago and has already put 20k on it as a commuter and loves it. We were very close to the Prius but considering we have 2 dogs, do big shopping trips (costco/warehouse stores), and want to have kids soon the prius just didnt have the room inside we figured wed need for the family, and my car is a 2 seater eclipse, so this needed to be a midsize vehicle.

Thanks for the input.

If you buy a used car that's only two or three years old, you'll still have the OEM warranty on it (unless they are over the miles) and it should be in pretty good shape. Have the brakes and tires checked. Many times those are a good indication of just how hard the vehicle has been driven. Good tread, good lining and you've got a car that's been cared for.

However, it seems you've already settled on buying a new Cruze. I have a couple people I work with that have purchased one, and are very happy with it. Please let me know if you have any issues with it.

May 30th, 2012, 2:28 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Yeah, we actually signed the deal Monday Night after going to 9 dealerships, taking 8 test drives and doing about 20 hrs of internet research from Friday Night -> Monday. It was like not having a weekend, but the deal is done.

Thanks everyone for the feedback as well. I will def consider a 2-3 year pre-owned that wasnt driven hard in the future, but wanted the wife to experience that "New car thing" once in her life, so this is it.

I know i got solid pricing as I previously used carsdirect.com (back in 03) and they saved me 6000 off mSRP on my eclipse back then, but couldnt discount the cruze at all under invoice. The only other cars they had this issue with were the civic and prius. Every other car I checked they could get discounted pricing on. The dealer still kicked in 1250 incentives so the only Downpayment was her 02 corolla (that has a broken cv boot and isnt driveable) which they gave us 1k for and the 1250 incentive cash (750 from the dealer, 500 from Chevy for MemDay).

Im not dissapointed in the least, even though it was nice not having a car payment for the last 3 years. Ill let you guys know what we think in a few months.

P.S. - as far as the malibu comment, we will probably keep this car for 10 years like we did the last 2, but the malibus we looked at were 5-7k More than the cruze. even with a 1,500 incentive cash they were still 4k+ more total.

May 30th, 2012, 7:13 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
League MVP

congrats on the new toy man! Enjoy!

May 31st, 2012, 8:22 am
DJ-B wrote:
P.S. - as far as the malibu comment, we will probably keep this car for 10 years like we did the last 2, but the malibus we looked at were 5-7k More than the cruze. even with a 1,500 incentive cash they were still 4k+ more total.

WOW :shock: ...

I'm really shocked. My g/f went to a dealer to buy a Cruise, but they didn't have the color/options package she wanted in stock, and ended up getting a Malibu for less than the price of the Cruise. It's just a little 4 cyl car, but she's happy with it (I'm not happy about the quality. Specifically, the seats are horrible, and again, too much hard plastic and crappy door handles which seems to be a signature of GM and Chrysler).

May 31st, 2012, 11:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8