View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 4:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Trayvon Martin vs. George Zimmerman 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: Trayvon Martin vs. George Zimmerman
Blueskies wrote:
The ignorance about drug use in this topic astounds me. Smoking pot povides no clues to a person's character.

In an adult I would agree with you, but in a child/teen it does tell you a few things it tells you about the influence that friends have. It tells you about a lack of concern for abiding by house rules it shows that the kids in definately not a "mommas boy".

Now please don't think I'm implying that the things that a minor smoking pot shows us are damning, but it does indeed tell us a few vague things.

May 28th, 2012, 11:00 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Quote:
In an adult I would agree with you, but in a child/teen it does tell you a few things it tells you about the influence that friends have. It tells you about a lack of concern for abiding by house rules it shows that the kids in definately not a "mommas boy".

40% of kids in HS have tried smoking pot. 20-25% of them smoke regularly. It doesn't tell you anything, sorry.

May 28th, 2012, 2:37 pm
RIP Killer

I agree with Blueskies on this one. The kid smoked pot. Big deal, big surprise. For the past 40 years I would say it would be a shock if he didn't smoke pot at that age. I am a rare exception. I grew up during the 1970's and have never, in my life, ever taken a hit of marijuana. I had an older brother who smoked pot, and I saw how it negatively influenced him, and that was enough for me.

However, I also had friends, family members and others that I knew who smoked pot on a regular basis, but didn't pull them under. They went on to be very good students, and in some cases graduated HS with honors and went on to get their degrees. They've also had successful careers and have raised families. They are not career criminals, their pot smoking didn't lead to any issues long term.

To simply generalize that because Trayvon Martin tested positive for having smoked pot sometime before his death somehow contributed to his actions, or that it justifies the shooting is utterly ridiculous. And this is coming from someone who in no way makes excuses for drug users. I don't think drugs should be made legal, I don't think drug users should be pitied for having a "disease". But the realities are the realities, and whether you are from the ghetto or from a gated community, a great deal of kids will be smoking pot.

It has nothing to do with this case.

May 29th, 2012, 9:14 am

I see where you two are comming from and didn't mean to imply that it has any cause in his death, but just like you can tell things about a kid who stays home every friday night, testing posative for pot can give you clues about his daily life.

is that worded better?

May 30th, 2012, 11:53 am
Blueskies wrote:
Quote:

40% of kids in HS have tried smoking pot. 20-25% of them smoke regularly. It doesn't tell you anything, sorry.

Now try and get data from impoverished neighborhoods, and see how many kids are smoking weed and compare them with how many kids graduate HS and how many kids go to jail.

Like I said, it's different in the suburbs.

May 30th, 2012, 1:03 pm
RIP Killer

USA Today wrote:
More evidence released in Trayvon Martin case

A Florida state attorney's release Thursday of FBI reports surrounding the death of Trayvon Martin shows that his accused killer and self-appointed neighborhood watchman had a pattern of calling authorities about criminal activities and safety issues in the neighborhood.

The 284-page report from State Attorney Angela Corey shows that George Zimmerman made a half dozen calls to Sanford police in the months leading up to his fatal February altercation with Martin, 17. Zimmerman has been charged with second-degree murder in connection with the unarmed African-American's death. Zimmerman has said he acted in self-defense.

Just hours after the shooting, Zimmerman told investigators that the shooting followed a life-and-death struggle during which the teen told him, "You're going to die tonight."

The report is part of a Justice Department investigation to determine if Martin's civil rights were violated and Zimmerman's actions were racially motivated, and its findings could be used by both prosecutors and Zimmerman's defense team.

In one of the calls to Sanford police, Zimmerman complained about children playing and running in the street. "It's habitual," he told the dispatcher. "I'm just concerned for their safety and the drivers in the neighborhood."

Zimmerman identified himself in several calls as a neighborhood watch volunteer, telling a police dispatcher one time that there were several break-ins in the area. Four calls were about black men he witnessed in the neighborhood following the break-ins.

Zimmerman described all four as "suspicious" and people that he had never seen before. In almost every case, he said he didn't know what they were doing, but they looked suspicious. In one case, he said two men were "loitering" in a white Chevy. In another, a man in a black jacket was walking around the side of a neighbor's house.

Zimmerman was arrested 44 days after the shooting. The delay triggered protests nationwide and the departure of Sanford's police chief.

Zimmerman was released last month on $1 million bond after having his previous $150,000 bond revoked after prosecutors presented evidence that he had lied about his finances. He is currently in a safe house at an undisclosed location.

July 12th, 2012, 11:45 am
Profile WWW

wow...Way to go USA today. way to report......Nothing. Imagine the shock I recieved when I found out that a volunteer neighborhood watch had called the police before about "suspicious" activity. I cant believe that a neighborhood watch would actually call the police..the audacity!

sigh.....

July 12th, 2012, 12:51 pm
thelomasbrowns wrote:
I don't think there should be laws based on feelings. For the stand your ground law, you have to "feel" threatened. For SB1070, the cop has to "feel" the person is undocumented. Laws should be verifiable with facts.

You have to base laws, or at least the application of law, on what a persons "intent" (or feeling) is. It gets to the heart of that person's motives, and suggests whether they were a bad person or an innocent actor. Murder, for instance, isn't murder at all if it wasn't intended - it's then manslaughter, and properly so.

That said, the more I hear about this case the more I side with Zimmerman. I really don't like all of the "God put me in this place, it was my destiny" talk, but it really looks like he was getting beat badly, and his life was in fact threatened by this 17 yr old thug that really was up to no good.

July 26th, 2012, 5:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7