View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 2nd, 2014, 4:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Why emergency rooms don't close the health care gap 
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Why emergency rooms don't close the health care gap
wjb21ndtown wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
Now, with all that being said, for those who are in favor of repealing the PPACA, how do you suggest we do that? Do you think it would be as simple as just overturning the law and reversing every provision it has already implemented? I don't think it would be that easy. As much as I might not want to admit it, I think Rep Bachman was correct in that it would be a long, drawn out process even trying to repeal it. If, as Romney has stated, he were to sign an Executive Order on Day 1 of his Presidency repealing PPACA / ObamaCare, what then? What about all the young adults under 26 that are on their parents plans? Do they all just get kicked off and have no insurance? And what of those that have pre-exisiting conditions? With that provision removed and them no longer on their parents plans, how do they obtain insurance?

(I realize some of this may sound like hyperbole, however it is not my intention for it to be that way, I am trying to 'brain storm' if you will, what might happen in the above scenario and how might we resolve the aforementioned potential issues)
Hopefully the Sup. Court rules that the mandate is unconstitutional. If that happens the entire bill will likely be ruled null and void, and repealing it won't be necessary.
From what I've heard, this could actually be two separate things in that the SCOTUS could rule the mandate unconstitutional, but that doesn't necessarily mean the entire bill / law would be struck down. It could get very messy....for example: If the PPACA were to be struck down, then what? I ask again, What about all the young adults under 26 that are on their parents plans? Are they somehow 'grandfathered' in? Are they kicked off their current plans? And what of those with pre-exisiting conditions? With that provision removed, how do they obtain insurance?
Wags, I could get into a bunch of legal jargon, but I've studied Con Law at two schools now (WSU and UofD). Basically, the SCOTUS could strike down a portion of the law, or the whole law. The deciding factor being whether or not the unconstitutional portion "was so integral to the stated purpose of the bill as to unravel the whole thing." There is a three part test, and blah blah blah, but that's the jist of it. IMO, if the "mandate" is struck down the entire bill is likely dead.
Yup, that's basically what I've been hearing on it. Though still haven't heard what, if any, contingency plan would be implemented in the event any part or all of the law is struck down. Maybe its in the legal briefs / paperwork, I just haven't (and am not planning to) read it.

May 30th, 2012, 2:26 pm
TheRealWags wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
Now, with all that being said, for those who are in favor of repealing the PPACA, how do you suggest we do that? Do you think it would be as simple as just overturning the law and reversing every provision it has already implemented? I don't think it would be that easy. As much as I might not want to admit it, I think Rep Bachman was correct in that it would be a long, drawn out process even trying to repeal it. If, as Romney has stated, he were to sign an Executive Order on Day 1 of his Presidency repealing PPACA / ObamaCare, what then? What about all the young adults under 26 that are on their parents plans? Do they all just get kicked off and have no insurance? And what of those that have pre-exisiting conditions? With that provision removed and them no longer on their parents plans, how do they obtain insurance?

(I realize some of this may sound like hyperbole, however it is not my intention for it to be that way, I am trying to 'brain storm' if you will, what might happen in the above scenario and how might we resolve the aforementioned potential issues)
Hopefully the Sup. Court rules that the mandate is unconstitutional. If that happens the entire bill will likely be ruled null and void, and repealing it won't be necessary.
From what I've heard, this could actually be two separate things in that the SCOTUS could rule the mandate unconstitutional, but that doesn't necessarily mean the entire bill / law would be struck down. It could get very messy....for example: If the PPACA were to be struck down, then what? I ask again, What about all the young adults under 26 that are on their parents plans? Are they somehow 'grandfathered' in? Are they kicked off their current plans? And what of those with pre-exisiting conditions? With that provision removed, how do they obtain insurance?
Wags, I could get into a bunch of legal jargon, but I've studied Con Law at two schools now (WSU and UofD). Basically, the SCOTUS could strike down a portion of the law, or the whole law. The deciding factor being whether or not the unconstitutional portion "was so integral to the stated purpose of the bill as to unravel the whole thing." There is a three part test, and blah blah blah, but that's the jist of it. IMO, if the "mandate" is struck down the entire bill is likely dead.
Yup, that's basically what I've been hearing on it. Though still haven't heard what, if any, contingency plan would be implemented in the event any part or all of the law is struck down. Maybe its in the legal briefs / paperwork, I just haven't (and am not planning to) read it.

Well, from what I understand, there really hasn't been much of ObamaCare that has gone into action, other than collecting taxes to help pay for it. We would likely return to the status quo, with a portion of the tax money being used to fund medicade, medicare, both, directed toward paying down the debt (unlikely), or refunded (also unlikely).

That would be it until a new law is written.

May 30th, 2012, 2:31 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

thats what I was thinking. Since the law doesnt take place untill what, 2013 at the earliest, there is no back up plan needed. we just go with the current system. at least to my understanding.

May 30th, 2012, 2:35 pm
Modmin Dude

There are provisions that have been implemented in 2010, 2011 & 2012 with more coming in each of the next 5 years; I don't have time right now to list them. You can find some info at the following links:
http://healthreform.kff.org/timeline.aspx
http://ppaca.com/
http://www.healthcare.gov/law/timeline/index.html

Its not going to be as simple as some peeps think.....

May 30th, 2012, 3:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5