View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 20th, 2014, 12:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 6 Days = 15+ Billion Years. The Genesis Code. 
RIP Killer

Post Re: 6 Days = 15+ Billion Years. The Genesis Code.
W4C, I like your last post. It speaks volumes, and is pretty close to how I feel. Although I do attend church, I do so as a choice, not out of a fear that if I don't I go to Hell.

I was raised Catholic, and early on in my parochial schooling I asked questions of the nuns that were met with cold stares and insufficient answers, at least to me. Why MUST I attend church, if you tell me God is everywhere? Why say church is God's house, when we are told his kingdom in in Heaven? Isn't a kings home in his kingdom, not outside of it? And if I must confess my sins to God, why I am talking to a human male? Why must I receive absolution and first pay a pennance to receive that absolution? Isn't it explained in the Bible that one need only ask Gods forgiveness to receive it?

These were all questions I had as a child, and I echo them today to people that insist these rituals, as you so well described them, be performed. I have experienced enough and have seen enough to feel that mankind does indeed have a soul, and that it is everlasting. I also know that science cannot explain such a thing, and should not even attempt it.

Religion, like extinct languages, is subject to interpretation by the individual. Religions today are about the rituals, and even more disturbing is that is has become more about money, politics and cover ups.

As you have said, Christianity is about the relationship and the acceptance. It is not about the various religions and their rituals. It is not about faith in the man behind the altar, but the man above the altar.

July 10th, 2012, 10:57 am
Player of the Year - Offense

What a blessing to hear, because my concern has been that my stubborn determination to stick with my message has done more to push people away than draw them. I can only speak from what I know, and what I know is my own personal relationship with the Lord.

When people use science, especially in terms of Mr. Hawking, I want to politely suggest that he has aimed his sights too low. There are several places in Scripture where God himself lays claim to placing the heavens where they are, and establishing the coast lines. But the authenticity of the Bible has been questioned because "man wrote it." But that is why I was curious as to what the word INSPIRED meant. Because the Bible is God's inspired word to man. So that means that it was God's word interepreted through 40 different mean of 4 continents over 1600 years. Not the literal God said this and some scribe was writing it down. I'm sure there is some of that, like the Gospels, but not all the time.

Thanks for posting you really blessed me.....

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

July 10th, 2012, 12:54 pm
League MVP

Thanks for the responses gang. I appreciate ya. UK and M2K, you guys are on the same page that i am. I agreed complete with what you guys posted. I do want to elaborate more on Church attendance that M2k was talking about.

I get very annoyed by Christians that think that going to church is what makes them a good christian. It simply is not. Church is a school. It's where you can learn more about the relationship you are supposed to have with God and a good place to refill the faith cup when it's running low. BUT THATS IT (imo). It's what you do with what you've learned in church that defines you as a Christian. I know a couple who are Models of what a true Christian should act like and they havn't stepped foot into a church in decades. God's house is anywhere he is invited into IMO, and not limited to churches.

W4C - question for you: why wouldn't selective breeding count as evolution? While it may be FORCED evolution, it is still taking one creature and turning into something else through it's natural mating habits. Did you know that Horses were orginally so small they could not be ridden? We (humans) bred them to be large beasts of burden to serve our needs better. IMO both are examples of Evolution, Im curious as to why you disagree.

I.E.
I agree with most of what you said but wanted to share a diffenece in opinion that I have with other Christians. you said:

Quote:
But again - "God is the creator and did it outside of the rules of science" is really sufficient self-defense for the religious from anything proved by science

I dont believe that God does go outside the rules of physics. I firmly belive that as the maker of the laws of physics that God adheres to them. That is why it's so hard to prove or disprove he exists.

Take Noahs Ark for example. There IS truth to that story. there has to be. Every theology that existed in the black sea area has a variation of a masive flood. well...every one that i looked into anyways. There is no doubts that major flooding too place at that part of the world. the dead sea was difinativly once dry land. there are still remnants of a civilization at the bottom of it. Now do I believe that 30 days of rain was enough to cover the planet in water? yeah no.....Phyically impossible! Do i beleive that 30 days of rain was enough to cause the red seas to overflow and tear down what was once a Natural dam between the red and black seas and cause MASSIVE flooding? absolutley.

One way is magic powers and takes more than just a lil imagination to even concieve of. the other abides by and uses the laws of physics to get the job done.

July 11th, 2012, 12:53 pm

Church is a school. it's also supposed to be a hospital where wounded people come to get healed, but doesn't happen very often. Many Christians shoot the wounded instead of treating them.

Evolution: I wasn't sure it classified that was all I was saying. My mind doesn't operate along those lines, so I was actually learnign something.

Concerning your 40 days of rain theory I find this interesting and wondered what others thoughts are.

Genesis 1:1-2 Common verse but read it carefully!
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

Genesis 1:6-8, Here is where it gets INTERESTING.
6 And God said, “Let there be a vault between the waters to separate water from water.” 7 So God made the vault and separated the water under the vault from the water above it. And it was so. 8 God called the vault “sky.” And there was evening, and there was morning —the second day.

So according to the Bible you have a LARGE outer ring of water surrounding the earth. The earth is made up of the inner part of the water that was gathered together. But it gets trickier!!!

Genesis 1:14-18, "And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. This speaks of the stars and planets, and yet its under the outer ring of water, yet above the Earth. Told ya it was tricky! But hold on there's more.

Genesis 7:11-12, now we find out where all the water came from....
In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, on the seventeenth day of the second month —on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened. 12 And rain fell on the earth forty days and forty nights. So the great deep ( see Genesis 1:1 reference to great deep) was pierced and it flowed down, then the springs were opened up and the water overflowed from the underneath until all was under water. I forgot the scientific name for it, but there is a layer of fossils generally found in the cleft of mountains where sea life was captured as the water receeded. There are several mountains that have had this discovery, and the only explanation was that the mountain was at one point under water.

To my human mind this is an impossibility, but to the engineer and builder of the universe, its a matter of speaking it into existence. I can't explain it nor define it, but I can believe it, because of my relationshp with God.

I just thought you might like to see that...

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

July 11th, 2012, 5:43 pm
League MVP

So here is my question with the idea that water covered the entire planet...

Where is the water now? Matter does not disappear, so if it covered the entire globe it would still have to be here, but alas is not. I don't believe that the bible lies about the flood, I just believe it is a matter of perspective. To the people in that region it would seem the whole world would be under water. That would accomplish making gods point just as easily would it not? It's human nature to exaggerate, and the flood story was told for potentially thousands of years before the bible was written.

July 11th, 2012, 6:36 pm

Well that may be true, the Bible doesn't say that Noah wrote this, he was inside the ship with his family. I've heard and can't substantiate that during this time, God restructured the Earth. So maybe this theory has merit? We all lived on one continent, but then the great flood happened, greatly increasing the size of Earth, now the once smaller Earth is now larger, and what we know as continents could have been mountains at that time.

Yes I'm reaching but I can't explain the water question, and I do konw that there is a lot of ice in space, so where did that come from? So it's all hypotheticals that we can ask the engineer when we get there I guess.

July 11th, 2012, 7:38 pm
RIP Killer

W4C.....all mountains were at one time under water. Mountains, at least 85% of them, are created by two plates pushing against each other. Even Mount Everest continues to grow higher at a rate of like 4 mm per year, or something like that. At 5 miles high, that doesn't seem like much. But over the course of centuries, it surely adds up. And not all mountain ranges increase in height at the same rate. Some get higher at a faster rate than Everest.

However, I am not saying this to disprove the flood theory. On the contrary, there is an incredible amount of evidence to prove that the region of the world where the flood was said to have taken place actually did take place. It is also possible that at that time some seismic activity took place which would have created a tsunami, which could have been viewed as the springs of the great deep bursting forth.

Talk about your bad months....

July 11th, 2012, 10:34 pm

Yeah I'm definitely not trying to argue two sides of the same coin, and I agree that to that region, Earth could have seemed it was their area alone. I could accept that thinking, I mean if you looked at the prevailing thought through antiquity, sailors didn't travel too far off the coast because of the fear of falling off.

I've heard some teaching on this, and it's probably circumstantial (sp?) as well, but it went on to say that at the time of Noah, humanity did not know what rain was. I believe there is a Scriptural reference to it in Genesis but I don't have time to look it up. It happens right around the time that the rest of the world approaches Noah, asking him what he's doing.

So the thought was that Earth at that time was a tropical paradise throughout it's entirety, and there's some evidence to suggest that under the artic ice caps there's evidence of tropical vegetation. So when the Earth was flooded, the weight of water (8lbs per gallon) created enough stress to change things up. Keep in mind this operates outside of the scope of my knowledge, so I'm just relaying what I'd heard. So here's Noah and family, with all their pets floating above the surface, meanwhile beneath the surface the Earth is going through a dramatic reconstruction.

I think we get this picture in our mind that it was just a leisure cruise with fair weather, maybe some rain, and lounge chairs on the ark, but take a look at ships on the North Sea in winter and tell me that doesn't present a better picture of what life was probably like. Talk about sea sickness.

I know for myself, when I read Scripture, I try to read it from the context of my life. What I mean is I put myself in the story, not just look at it as if I'm reading a Lousi L'amour novel, but an autobiography. We lose the emotional aspect of it, the fear, frustration, depression, love, hate, disappointment, discouragement, and so on when we just read it like a story.

So who knows what really happened, and I believe we'll be amazed when we really find out.

July 12th, 2012, 8:47 am
Veteran General Manager

regularjoe12 wrote:
Thanks for the responses gang. I appreciate ya. UK and M2K, you guys are on the same page that i am. I agreed complete with what you guys posted. I do want to elaborate more on Church attendance that M2k was talking about.

I get very annoyed by Christians that think that going to church is what makes them a good christian. It simply is not. Church is a school. It's where you can learn more about the relationship you are supposed to have with God and a good place to refill the faith cup when it's running low. BUT THATS IT (imo). It's what you do with what you've learned in church that defines you as a Christian. I know a couple who are Models of what a true Christian should act like and they havn't stepped foot into a church in decades. God's house is anywhere he is invited into IMO, and not limited to churches.

W4C - question for you: why wouldn't selective breeding count as evolution? While it may be FORCED evolution, it is still taking one creature and turning into something else through it's natural mating habits. Did you know that Horses were orginally so small they could not be ridden? We (humans) bred them to be large beasts of burden to serve our needs better. IMO both are examples of Evolution, Im curious as to why you disagree.

I.E.
I agree with most of what you said but wanted to share a diffenece in opinion that I have with other Christians. you said:

Quote:
But again - "God is the creator and did it outside of the rules of science" is really sufficient self-defense for the religious from anything proved by science

I dont believe that God does go outside the rules of physics. I firmly belive that as the maker of the laws of physics that God adheres to them. That is why it's so hard to prove or disprove he exists.

Take Noahs Ark for example. There IS truth to that story. there has to be. Every theology that existed in the black sea area has a variation of a masive flood. well...every one that i looked into anyways. There is no doubts that major flooding too place at that part of the world. the dead sea was difinativly once dry land. there are still remnants of a civilization at the bottom of it. Now do I believe that 30 days of rain was enough to cover the planet in water? yeah no.....Phyically impossible! Do i beleive that 30 days of rain was enough to cause the red seas to overflow and tear down what was once a Natural dam between the red and black seas and cause MASSIVE flooding? absolutley.

One way is magic powers and takes more than just a lil imagination to even concieve of. the other abides by and uses the laws of physics to get the job done.

Christians are to gather together and fellowship with each other in Church. Each of us are part of the body of Christ. Each of us fill a valuable role. When you decide to not to go to church, you are depriving other Christians of your fellowship. If you lost an arm, would your body function as efficiently as it would if it had both arms? No. And neither does the Church. When you chose to not go, you limit the churches efficiency.

As for Noah's Ark:
It was 40 Days and 40 nights of rain. Not 30. But, even just that is not enough.

The Mountains are far taller now than they were back in the days of Noah. So, the water didn't have to be as deep to reach 25 feet above them.

But, even then 40 days and nights of rain aren't enough. So, how did it happen?

I recently heard a radio preacher give a sermon about this. And it makes a lot of sense. It also confirms some things that Science holds to be true.

Genesis Chapter 7 Verses 11 and 12.
Quote:
11 In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.

12 And the rain was upon the earth forty days and forty nights.

Notice: The Fountains of the deeps were BROKEN UP and then the RAIN came.

So, what caused the Fountains of the deep to be BROKEN?

The Preacher thinks that the Earth was hit by a Comet or an Asteroid. In Noah's time, the Earth consisted of a single Continent surrounded by a single ocean.

When the Comet/Asteroid hit, it broke the single continent into the 7 continents. As it hit, it forced the underground water out of it's place. ( Imagine, if you will, an apple. Now imagine a bullet hitting that apple. Everything that get's displaced within that apple gets shot out the opposite side the bullet entered.

Now, picture the Earth as that apple. And the Comet/Asteroid as the bullet. The waters of the deep got shot into the atmosphere, ( which was smaller in those days because we were protected by a thin layer of ice ).

And then the RAIN came as the waters of the deep fell back to Earth.

Comets are described as big dirty snowballs. So, that is where the extra water came from to completely cover the Earth with water.

With the thin layer of ice no longer present to protect the Earth from the Sun's Gamma rays, the water began condensating as soon as the rain stopped. This condensation expanded our atmosphere to what we have today.

With the single continent now broken in to 7 continents, tectonic plates emerged and the mountains grew to what we see today.

Virtually every scientist worth his salt, agrees that the Earth was slammed by a Comet/Asteroid at some point. And most agree that we started out as a singular land mass surrounded by water.

This theory harmonizes both sides. GOD knew it would happen and commanded Noah to start building the Ark 100 years in advance of the impact. Before this, there was no such thing as rain. This is why everyone mocked Noah. No-one knew what rain was, so, a great flood was completely inconceivable to them.

July 12th, 2012, 1:01 pm
League MVP

interesting theory Billy, I have a few Problems with it.

A comet big enough to break up Pangea would be what is called a global killer. It would destroy all but the most basic of life forms on the planet for centuries. (think Nuclear fallout...but due to a comet instead of a bomb) Pangea existed before man did by a lot. Dinosaurs roamed Pangea...and WERE killed off by a comet. (That part is the leading theory anyway) There is a giant Hole in Russia that is believed where the comet hit.

So unless you are under the belief that man roamed the earth at the same time as dinasours and somehow managed to survive centuries without a sun being visable, I dont see how that theory would be viable.

Now a smaller comet could have crashed into the ocean and caused a Tsunami, but that wouldnt cover the world. just a portion of it (which I find signifactly more likley anyway).

all in all it doesn't matter, Im just curous as to others ideas. and im enjoying the heck out of this conversation guys. Thanks!

July 12th, 2012, 3:33 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Not going to get into the science, because everyone tends to argue with the mindset that they are exclusive of each other and not that they work together.

As for this...

Quote:
Christians are to gather together and fellowship with each other in Church. Each of us are part of the body of Christ. Each of us fill a valuable role. When you decide to not to go to church, you are depriving other Christians of your fellowship. If you lost an arm, would your body function as efficiently as it would if it had both arms? No. And neither does the Church. When you chose to not go, you limit the churches efficiency.

You've been fed a line that has kept churches in business. "Church" is where two or more are gathered in his name. On any day. Church isn't a brick and mortar building, it's a fellowship. Your relationship with God is a personal one, not a group one. You're perfectly able to fellowship with as many as you wish, but it has never been mandatory to group with others in a specific place.

July 13th, 2012, 1:05 am
League MVP

Quote:
Not going to get into the science, because everyone tends to argue with the mindset that they are exclusive of each other and not that they work together.

No please do, so far this has been a very open conversation and we are lacking a little on that sides perspective. Please join in.

Code:
"Church" is where two or more are gathered in his name. On any day. Church isn't a brick and mortar building, it's a fellowship. Your relationship with God is a personal one, not a group one. You're perfectly able to fellowship with as many as you wish, but it has never been mandatory to group with others in a specific place.

This is the way I believe as well. I dont tithe... and to some that wouldd be a sin. But I do give to those in need. Lord knows there are plenty of oportunites for people in need here in Genesee county. to me it's the same...not all christians feel the same as me...and im fine with that.

July 13th, 2012, 8:22 am

Tithing can be more than money too! Time, materials and so on. But it is the attitude of the heart that is most important.

Some denominations get WAY overboard. I've heard of some inner city churches in our area that will pass the plate, and when it gets back up from, God has told the Pastor it's too light, and so it goes around again. Interesting how the Pastor drives the nicest Cadillac, and wears the nice suit, but the parishners tend to survive on FS and other programs.

Or how about the denominations that charge you for candles, mass, special masses, purgatory release, and all on top of your normal, mandatory giving.

We are to FEED the sheep, not fleece them, but man gets in the way when it comes to power and control.

Personally, I often wonder why we need million dollar churches when people just aren't coming. Are we keeping up with the Jones? I don't even like them! How about we lease a building and then take the money used for the buildings that we'd normally have and turn that back into food ministries, bill ministries where we help people meet their needs, and repair ministries where we repair homes and cars for those who have a need but no supply.

That's why I hope to be a millionaire someday so I can do that very thing, and I promise you I won't be jet setting to Cannes, or buying huge homes, and telling other people how they need to contribute their money to my ministry.

July 13th, 2012, 11:28 am
Veteran General Manager

WarEr4Christ wrote:
Well that may be true, the Bible doesn't say that Noah wrote this, he was inside the ship with his family. I've heard and can't substantiate that during this time, God restructured the Earth. So maybe this theory has merit? We all lived on one continent, but then the great flood happened, greatly increasing the size of Earth, now the once smaller Earth is now larger, and what we know as continents could have been mountains at that time.

Yes I'm reaching but I can't explain the water question, and I do konw that there is a lot of ice in space, so where did that come from? So it's all hypotheticals that we can ask the engineer when we get there I guess.

All the water is still here. About 1/3 of it seeped back into the deep where it came from and about 1/3 evaporated and formed the new atmosphere to replace the thin layer of ice that used to protect us from the sun's rays. Some of the water dissipated into space during the initial stages of forming the atmosphere.

July 13th, 2012, 1:31 pm
Veteran General Manager

njroar wrote:

As for this...

Quote:

You've been fed a line that has kept churches in business. "Church" is where two or more are gathered in his name. On any day. Church isn't a brick and mortar building, it's a fellowship. Your relationship with God is a personal one, not a group one. You're perfectly able to fellowship with as many as you wish, but it has never been mandatory to group with others in a specific place.

Quote:
Hebrews 10:25

King James Version (KJV)

25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Not Forsaking means: DO NOT FORSAKE. In other words, we are to meet together to exhort and uplift each other.

Tithing and how much to tithe is up to each person however much they can afford/want to give. 10% is just a guideline. I personally give somewhere between 15-20% because I failed to tithe for far to long.

July 13th, 2012, 7:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next