View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently January 22nd, 2017, 12:37 pm



Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 CIA Assessment shows Russia influenced US election 
Author Message
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12498
Post CIA Assessment shows Russia influenced US election
Quote:
Donald Trump says CIA charge Russia influenced election is 'ridiculous'

Donald Trump said on Sunday that a CIA conclusion that Russia interfered with the 2016 presidential election was “ridiculous”, and that he did not believe that the Kremlin had tried to bolster his candidacy.

The president-elect said the CIA’s assessment was “just another excuse” for his stunning defeat of Hillary Clinton last month.

“I don’t believe it,” Trump said in an interview with Fox News Sunday. “Every week it’s another excuse.”

Two days earlier, the Washington Post reported that in a secret assessment, the CIA had concluded the Russian government sought to influence the election by hacking into Democratic party emails.

During the campaign, the intelligence community accused Russia-backed actorsof hacking emails from the Democratic National Committee and Hillary Clinton’s campaign chairman, John Podesta.

Thousands of the emails, which intelligence officials said were provided by individuals with ties to the Russian government, were published by WikiLeaks. At the time officials said Russia hoped to undermine confidence in the election, but did not explicitly say the Kremlin favored Trump, as the CIA later concluded.

This week, Barack Obama ordered what the White House called a “full review” of Russia’s role in the hacks and cyber-attacks by Chinese hackers in the 2008 and 2012 campaign cycles.

Trump refused to believe the CIA’s findings, saying on Sunday: “Nobody really knows, and hacking is very interesting.
“Once they hack, if you don’t catch them in the act you’re not going to catch them. They have no idea if it’s Russia or China or somebody. It could be somebody sitting in a bed some place.”

On Sunday John Bolton, a former ambassador to the UN said any foreign government trying to influence an American election should face “very grave consequences” but questioned whether the hacking of DNC and the RNC computers was “a false flag operation”.

Asked by Fox News’s Eric Shawn whether he was accusing someone in the administration or intelligence community of trying to throw something, he replied: “We just don’t know. But I believe that intelligence has been politicized in the Obama administration to a very significant degree.”

On Saturday, Trump’s transition team issued a statement that invoked the faulty intelligence used to justify the US invasion of Iraq in 2003.
“These are the same people that said Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction,” the statement read.

The split was reflective of a growing rift between the CIA and Trump, who has declined daily intelligence briefings. The president-elect, who receives intelligence briefings just once a week claimed on Sunday he could skip the briefings because: “I’m, like, a smart person.”

“I don’t have to be told the same thing in the same words every single day,” he added.

Senior Trump adviser Kellyanne Conway said the CIA’s findings about the election were “unfounded” and undercut the peaceful transition of power. In an appearance on CBS’s Face the Nation, she said Democrats were refusing to accept responsibility for their loss.

“They did a recount,” she said, alluding to a campaign funded by the Green party. “They’re vilifying [FBI director] Jim Comey. It’s everybody’s false but Hillary Clinton’s.”

But a bipartisan group of senators, including John McCain and Lindsey Graham, two of the most outspoken Republicans on foreign policy, echoed the concerns of the intelligence community.

“This cannot become a partisan issue,” the senators said in a statement. “The stakes are too high for our country.”

McCain later told CBS: “It’s clear the Russians interfered. Whether they intended to interfere to the degree that they were trying to elect a certain candidate, I think that’s a subject of investigation.
“But facts are stubborn things. They did hack into this campaign.”

McCain said he hoped to create a select committee to investigate the interference. He also expressed doubts over Trump’s reported decision to nominate Exxon Mobil’s CEO, Rex Tillerson, as his secretary of state.

“It’s a matter of concern to me that he has such a close personal relationship with Vladimir Putin. And obviously they’ve done enormous deals together,” McCain said, referring to a 2011 deal to access Arctic oil, potentially worth $300bn.

“That … would color his approach to Vladimir Putin and the Russian threat.”

McCain nonetheless said Trump’s appointees would be given a fair hearing in the Senate, where they must first clear relevant committees before receiving a vote in the broader chamber.

On Sunday, Trump said he had not made a final decision on Tillerson, tweeting: “Whether I choose him or not for ‘State’ – Rex Tillerson, the chairman & CEO of ExxonMobil, is a world class player and dealmaker. Stay tuned!”

Tillerson has engineered deals around the world and is close to Igor Sechin, the head of Russia’s state-owned oil giant Rosneft. In 2013, Tillerson was given the Order of Friendship award. In 2014, he called for the US to lift economic sanctions on Russia and leaders such as Sechin.

Reports of the possible nomination of Tillerson stirred criticism even among some Republicans, including two members of the Senate foreign relations committee, Marco Rubio and Rand Paul.

“Being a ‘friend of Vladimir’ is not an attribute I am hoping for from a #SecretaryOfState,” Rubio said on Twitter. Paul said he was concerned should reports be confirmed that Trump plans to nominate former UN ambassador John Bolton, a leading supporter of the Iraq invasion, as the undersecretary of state.
Reince Priebus, the incoming White House chief of staff, insisted that the decision was not yet final.

“It’s amazing to me that immediately everyone’s just jumping the shark on this,” he said on NBC’s Meet the Press. “Poking this prematurely is something that just isn’t … helpful. But it’s also not accurate.

“I mean this is a guy who has business relationships in every continent in the entire world.”

Priebus also denied that Trump lacked confidence in US intelligence, saying the president-elect was rejecting unnamed sources in newspaper reports.

But Adam Schiff, the top Democrat on the House intelligence committee, said it was clear “what the Russians were after”.

“Plainly they were after discord and in this they were spectacularly successful,” Schiff said on NBC. “But it wasn’t alone to try and sow discord.

“They had a candidate with pro-Putin, pro-Russian views who belittled Nato, who was willing to potentially remove sanctions on Russia and by contrast they had in Secretary Clinton a candidate very tough on Russia.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ridiculous

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


December 12th, 2016, 12:25 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12498
Post Re: CIA Assessment shows Russia influenced US election
Perhaps this is karma rearing its head; after all it was Trump and Co that, for the past 8 years, stated the Obama wasn't an American, was a 'secret Muslim', was a plant of the Muslim Brotherhood, etc, etc, etc. I wonder how Trumpy will feel knowing that many Americans look at him as an illegitimate PEOTUS.

All that being said, a couple of outstanding questions:
    What is the proof of these allegations?
    Why didn't Congress act before the election?
    If proven true, what now?

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


December 12th, 2016, 12:26 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2573
Post Re: CIA Assessment shows Russia influenced US election
I Can't be the only person who reads this stuff and honestly thinks "So".

Unless a foreign government Hacks our systems and changes our actual votes, I could give a fudge if they attempt to sway our elections. Does anyone think America doesn't interfere and attempt to sway elections in every country on earth, including our allies. That we don't financially support the parties we want to see win. We don't sell weapons to factions. We don't spy on our enemies, and our friends. We don't use our media to attempt to manipulate other Populaces such as our own?

On top of which, we attempt to manipulate our own people with fake coverage of borderline real stories. We obfuscate what our candidates and their platforms really mean and intend to do on a regular basis.

It seems like we are only OK with Political Shenanigans if we are the perpetrators and are influencing others outcomes, but are people really naive enough to think it doesn't go both ways? Fix the electoral college (whether demolished or revamped). Remove Super Delegates (Period). Federal elections should be run federally, not with each state employing its own techniques causing massive issues. Find a specific system be it fingerprinting or something else that GUARANTEES One vote per CITIZEN, no Illegals voting, No Dead people voting, No Mailed Ballots except in Exceedingly Rare circumstances, Paid National Holiday for election day so nobody has the "had to work" excuse. DO all of that right, and then its just the Intelligence/Info war we have to worry about leading up to elections, which is more than enough. I just find reading this poop comical. OF COURSE RUSSIA HAD A VESTED INTEREST IN WHO WOULD BE OUR PRESIDENT. And its possible they wanted Trump because they think he will divide our country further (he isn't going to do that any worse than if Clinton had won and the shoe was on the other foot, only Bernie Might have healed/partially united the voting base) or maybe its because they know he will focus on commerce and business where as Clinton was quite clearly focused on War and they want to avoid War. Their motives are their own, and honestly dont matter to me.


December 12th, 2016, 1:19 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
QB Coach

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 3224
Post Re: CIA Assessment shows Russia influenced US election
The CIA was willing to go on the record when the DNC was hacked, but now it's all anonymous sources because it fits the narrative. The RNC got confirmation that they weren't hacked, but the NYT and Wash Post didn't want to include that in their stories because that didn't fit the narrative that Russia was hacking our entire system. The intelligence community is in disagreement about what happened, and only anonymous sources are saying there's a consensus and proof that Russia is behind it. This is a problem because the intelligence apparatus has been politicized over the past decade and a half and at least by what we've publicly seen, has been wrong, slow to react, and has no credibility at this time. ISIS was contained and not a threat, meanwhile people across Europe and American citizens are dead due to their lack of intelligence.

I also find it hard to believe that during the height of the Snowden leaks, the intelligence communities and Snowden himself revealed how easy it is for hackers to leave the traces of foreign governments to make them believe it was someone else doing the hacking it was impossible to really know and now they suddenly believe they can see through that. Russia and China have been hacking us for decades and there was little action taken, but now that the electorate had unadulterated access to the inner thoughts of one party, its the crime of a century. Meanwhile, you have a dead DNC insider, reported to have leaked the information, who was robbed, but nothing taken, you have zero public appearances by Julian Assange after the deadman's switch was activated at wikileaks, and their internet cut. Even speculation into these events is more plausible than Russian interference. I can't wait to see the committee meetings where the CIA and other intelligence agencies would have to show proof and evidence and the IT community can reveal how wrong they are.


December 12th, 2016, 2:00 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12498
Post Re: CIA Assessment shows Russia influenced US election
DJ-B wrote:
I Can't be the only person who reads this stuff and honestly thinks "So".
Ok, comrade. With respect, if you don't have an issue with a foreign govt influencing our elections, then I don't know that anything I would say would make a difference. Perhaps those of us who served this Country feel a little more strongly about it. Those of us that remember the concerns of the 'Red Scare' or a potential 'Manchurian Candidate' are concerned that maybe, just maybe Putin and Russia WANTS Trump in office to control him. He has many known ties to Russia; I'd also guess he has many others that are currently unknown. If nothing else, knowing that Putin is former KGB means I don't trust him or anything he wants.
DJ-B wrote:
Unless a foreign government Hacks our systems and changes our actual votes, I could give a fudge if they attempt to sway our elections.
Who's to say this hasn't happened? A full investigation is needed to determine the extent of the influence
DJ-B wrote:
Does anyone think America doesn't interfere and attempt to sway elections in every country on earth, including our allies. That we don't financially support the parties we want to see win. We don't sell weapons to factions. We don't spy on our enemies, and our friends. We don't use our media to attempt to manipulate other Populaces such as our own?
Of course this has happened, it doesn't make it right. Just think where the World might be today if the US didn't overthrow the democratically elected Shah in Iran; likely a lot less BS coming from that region. Its none of our damned business to be installing any leader in any other Country.

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


December 12th, 2016, 2:12 pm
Profile
QB Coach

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 3224
Post Re: CIA Assessment shows Russia influenced US election
ALL of the reported hijinks with the voter machines had them switching votes to Clinton, not Trump. If you're hacking to help Trump and the machines jump to Clinton, you're doing it wrong.

It's a silly argument by democrats. If the "influencing" was revealing more information and you're upset that the American people had more information and thus could make an informed decision. Are they going to argue that the voters should know less and didn't deserve to know? IF the Russians were behind revealing that info, they did nothing more than doing the job of the media in revealing information to the voter, but they were to busy cheerleading for Clinton.

Clinton was the one who messed up the Russian reboot while we was Secretary of State. She was the one who was throwing out allegations of Russian tampering months before this anonymous CIA assessment. She was the one threatening retaliation and stirring up the cold war rhetoric again. Trump only stated he wanted to work with Russia to take out ISIS. Trump's had business deals with China, but that hasn't stopped people from saying he's about to start war because he accepted a phone call from Taiwan.

Funny how a conspiracy theory on the left always has another name.


December 12th, 2016, 5:19 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2573
Post Re: CIA Assessment shows Russia influenced US election
TheRealWags wrote:
Ok, comrade.


First off, just Wow. Second, I will clarify since my point didnt come across correctly. What I mean is I dont care about news articles like this nor that they tried IF THEY TRIED. If we believe their are shenanigans look into it. If we are going to bring charges, do so. But these articles right now are just more politicized bullshit that dont need to be in public view, being trotted out by the same mainstream media that has been fairly useless other than trying to convert Americans into sheep and then guide them the direction they want. It is just fear mongering by the "losing side" (no i didnt vote trump) to make them feel better in the post "How could our perfectly groomed angel candidate fail to win" aftermath of the lost election.

I am a realist. I expect other countries to try to hack us. I expect them to try and influence our elections. I expect us to do the same to them. It doesn't matter if its right, it matters if it is real. I wish it wasnt. I wish that stuff didnt happen (Which Ironically is a lot closer to a Marxist world than we have and where the "comrade" quip might actually fit. But that isn't the real world. If our election system works properly and people arent sheep then it isnt a problem. I am glad at least at the end of your post you were willing to say it isnt right that we meddle in other countries business either, because up until that point you sounded like a hypocrite complaining about other countries doing to us what we have done to them for 100+ years.

TL;DR: I hope the allegations aren't true. If they are (legitimately), I hope real hard evidence is found, verified, and people pay the proper consequences. Until then, stop publicizing allegations just to rile up the populace and make them feel better about November 8th.

P.S. - While I did not have the honor of serving our country both my Grandfathers fought in WW2 and my Father served during Vietnam. I have nothing but the utmost respect for the Men and Women who risk their lives for our freedoms, and nothing but contempt for the Politicians AND CITIZENS who attempt to turn their sacrifice into political capital or discussion points.


December 12th, 2016, 9:32 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
William Clay Ford Jr.
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 8713
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: CIA Assessment shows Russia influenced US election
This whole charge is completely bogus. Did Putin influence you? Do you know 1 single person that was influenced by Putin?

Simple fact is that the CIA has become every bit as corrupted under Obama as the FBI.

I guarantee you, if they try to overturn the election, there will be a modern Civil war.


December 12th, 2016, 9:44 pm
Profile
QB Coach

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 3224
Post Re: CIA Assessment shows Russia influenced US election
The ODNI, which oversees all 17 intelligence agencies, and the FBI have refused to accept the result of the CIA assessment. That even if you believe the Russians are behind the hacks, they have zero evidence of intent, which only proves it's a political game to try to delegitimize Trump. They're trying to connect the dots that because nothing was released on the GOP side, that proves intent. Trump doesn't email, and even Julian Assange said what they got wasn't interesting, so that blows that theory out the window.


December 13th, 2016, 4:42 am
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12498
Post Re: CIA Assessment shows Russia influenced US election
njroar wrote:
ALL of the reported hijinks with the voter machines had them switching votes to Clinton, not Trump. If you're hacking to help Trump and the machines jump to Clinton, you're doing it wrong.
And those should be investigated as well.

njroar wrote:
It's a silly argument by democrats. If the "influencing" was revealing more information and you're upset that the American people had more information and thus could make an informed decision. Are they going to argue that the voters should know less and didn't deserve to know? IF the Russians were behind revealing that info, they did nothing more than doing the job of the media in revealing information to the voter, but they were to busy cheerleading for Clinton.
I have no problem with receiving more information as it is usually a good thing.

Quick question: Why is this a partisan issue for some of you? The thought of an outside force/entity effecting our presidential election is unacceptable. Full stop.

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


December 13th, 2016, 8:53 am
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12498
Post Re: CIA Assessment shows Russia influenced US election
DJ-B wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
Ok, comrade.


First off, just Wow. Second, I will clarify since my point didnt come across correctly. What I mean is I dont care about news articles like this nor that they tried IF THEY TRIED. If we believe their are shenanigans look into it. If we are going to bring charges, do so. But these articles right now are just more politicized bullshit that dont need to be in public view, being trotted out by the same mainstream media that has been fairly useless other than trying to convert Americans into sheep and then guide them the direction they want. It is just fear mongering by the "losing side" (no i didnt vote trump) to make them feel better in the post "How could our perfectly groomed angel candidate fail to win" aftermath of the lost election.

I am a realist. I expect other countries to try to hack us. I expect them to try and influence our elections. I expect us to do the same to them. It doesn't matter if its right, it matters if it is real. I wish it wasnt. I wish that stuff didnt happen (Which Ironically is a lot closer to a Marxist world than we have and where the "comrade" quip might actually fit. But that isn't the real world. If our election system works properly and people arent sheep then it isnt a problem. I am glad at least at the end of your post you were willing to say it isnt right that we meddle in other countries business either, because up until that point you sounded like a hypocrite complaining about other countries doing to us what we have done to them for 100+ years.

TL;DR: I hope the allegations aren't true. If they are (legitimately), I hope real hard evidence is found, verified, and people pay the proper consequences. Until then, stop publicizing allegations just to rile up the populace and make them feel better about November 8th.

P.S. - While I did not have the honor of serving our country both my Grandfathers fought in WW2 and my Father served during Vietnam. I have nothing but the utmost respect for the Men and Women who risk their lives for our freedoms, and nothing but contempt for the Politicians AND CITIZENS who attempt to turn their sacrifice into political capital or discussion points.
Remind me, when was the last time Congress investigated something in the public's interest without the public and/or media raising an issue? The way I see it is we, the public, the real US government, needs to put and keep pressure on Congress to have a full investigation into not only these allegations, but the ones njroar mentioned (about the machines switching votes) as well as our entire electoral process. Every election cycle we hear about these types of issues, but then nothing happens. Well maybe its time to order Congress to convene some sort of commission into identifying and resolving the issues in our election process. But no. We'll likely continue to have Pepsi biatch about Coke and Coke biatch about Pepsi and nothing will be accomplished, as is per usual.

For those of you saying its nothing but fear mongering or the losing side crying I only have this to say: Prove it. Investigate these allegations and prove you are correct. Otherwise you're no better than those who do just cry wolf.

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


December 13th, 2016, 9:01 am
Profile
William Clay Ford Jr.
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 8713
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: CIA Assessment shows Russia influenced US election
TheRealWags wrote:
njroar wrote:
ALL of the reported hijinks with the voter machines had them switching votes to Clinton, not Trump. If you're hacking to help Trump and the machines jump to Clinton, you're doing it wrong.
And those should be investigated as well.

njroar wrote:
It's a silly argument by democrats. If the "influencing" was revealing more information and you're upset that the American people had more information and thus could make an informed decision. Are they going to argue that the voters should know less and didn't deserve to know? IF the Russians were behind revealing that info, they did nothing more than doing the job of the media in revealing information to the voter, but they were to busy cheerleading for Clinton.
I have no problem with receiving more information as it is usually a good thing.

Quick question: Why is this a partisan issue for some of you? The thought of an outside force/entity effecting our presidential election is unacceptable. Full stop.


Except when Obama did everything he could to influence the Israeli elections and the Brexit election. I guess that was perfectly acceptable?


December 13th, 2016, 11:20 am
Profile
QB Coach

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 3224
Post Re: CIA Assessment shows Russia influenced US election
The reason it's partisan is because the democrats are getting on the morning talk shows and saying directly that they want the electors to change their minds and vote for someone else. Saying Russia tried to influence the election is a non-partisan thing. Saying it tried to influence it for Trump without evidence is an attempt to sway electors to change the election. That's partisan.


December 13th, 2016, 11:39 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2573
Post Re: CIA Assessment shows Russia influenced US election
Exactly. I am not the 1's making it partisan. The ones trying to talk up this stuff are the 1s trying to change political favor just like they did with the election itself near the end. How bout I agree with you, and those people show some proof before throwing the allegations out in an attempt to cause political unrest.

Clintons are Pedophiles, I can find a source willing to publish that so we should assume its true, let it modify our opinions, all before we actually dig into its validity?

I already said I am all for investigations, but that this is just political bullshit. I do think the entire election system needs to be revised and updated, from the electoral college to states running the elections differently despite it being a federal election, to the voting machines/voter ID process itself. but that has nothing to do with Democrats crying Russian interference, specifically when the source is Wikileaks, an organization with WAY more clout than any news outlet in the US. An Org most of the world trusts MORE than the CIA or FBI to bring us unbiased news. I dont care WHO dug up Clintons emails, when people try to use that Who to take the focus off why those emails were exposed to the public in the first place, which involved Clinton breaking the law and getting away with it due to gross incompetence. The Saudis were trying to influence our election by giving tons of $ to the Clintons, shouldn't i be concerned about that also? The list goes on and On (probably on both sides).


December 13th, 2016, 2:26 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
QB Coach

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 3092
Post Re: CIA Assessment shows Russia influenced US election
Seems like an obvious narrative whipped up to protect the DNC top brass.

Hilary Clinton lost. She was a terrible candidate. The emails showed us that she only made it to the general election because of widespread DNC corruption. The natural reaction among Democrats should be to overthrow the DNC leadership, and install new people, and move the party in a different direction for 2018 and onward.

If you're a top DNC staffer, whose career is on the line, what do you do?

Why not reach out to the media and push a "stabbed-in-the-back" narrative that lets you shift the blame to an unpopular foreign leader? The election was close. If the emails swayed even 1% of the vote, it seems logical. Plus, your base was blindsided and will happily gobble up any narrative that allows them to deny reality.

Even if the Russians did hack the DNC, releasing legitimate material hardly counts as swaying an election. If they had released fake emails, or edited emails, that would've been an entirely different matter. All they did was expose Democrats own attempts to rig the primary (the irony). It's still problematic that they hacked into one of our political parties, but not for election-related reasons.

I'm no fan of Trump. I despise him and the administration he's building. But I don't need a conspiracy theory to denounce the guy and his ideas.

More generally, I think Trump may be undertaking a sort of reverse-Nixon foreign policy. A lot of people understate it, but Nixon played a key role in bringing down the Soviet Union: He made an alliance with China. Prior to that, China and Russia were partners against us, and although I ultimately believe our free-market economy is the superior system destined to prevail, for a time, it was truly dicey. Trump appears to be sowing the seeds of an alliance with Russia, so as to put pressure on China.

Chi-Merica has been beneficial to many Americans, but not his base.


December 25th, 2016, 5:35 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.