View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 12:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The most honest 3 1/2 minutes of TV EVER… 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: The most honest 3 1/2 minutes of TV EVER…
First you say:

Quote:
IMO Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, and Norway are all "greater nations" on some level than we are

But then you say:

Quote:
They want to legislate a "greater life" that "gives" more to those that "need it,"

You're completely contradicting yourself. Germany, Sweden and Norway have some of the most expansive systems of welfare in the entire world.

I don't think Switzerland is a fair comparison, as it is a tiny, mostly shut-off country that has a long history of banking and high-tech manufacturing. The US is a large, multi-racial (and I mean this in the sense of background, not in a racist sense) empire. To compare Switzerland to the US is like comparing a truck to a mini cooper. One can never be like the other.

Quote:
Switzerland is a better country. Norway. Japan. Right now, even Germany is a better country. I may not agree with everything they do in those countries, and Lord knows they have their problems. But I don't think their governments are as corrupt. I don't think their court systems are as screwed up. And Lord knows their educational systems are a damn sight better than ours.

The only country you listed differently from WJB was Japan. I personally would not care to live there, as their population is declining, their economy has been stagnant for 20 years, and their government's debt level makes ours seem reasonable.

July 17th, 2012, 8:42 pm
RIP Killer

Blueskies wrote:
I don't think Switzerland is a fair comparison, as it is a tiny, mostly shut-off country that has a long history of banking and high-tech manufacturing. The US is a large, multi-racial (and I mean this in the sense of background, not in a racist sense) empire. To compare Switzerland to the US is like comparing a truck to a mini cooper. One can never be like the other.

It's not a matter of comparison based on square miles. It's a matter of comparison based on where anyone would prefer to live, or those factors not size based that make one country better than another. I wouldn't expect one to be like another. Being great isn't based on size.

Quote:
Switzerland is a better country. Norway. Japan. Right now, even Germany is a better country. I may not agree with everything they do in those countries, and Lord knows they have their problems. But I don't think their governments are as corrupt. I don't think their court systems are as screwed up. And Lord knows their educational systems are a damn sight better than ours.

Blueskies wrote:
The only country you listed differently from WJB was Japan. I personally would not care to live there, as their population is declining, their economy has been stagnant for 20 years, and their government's debt level makes ours seem reasonable.

So a declining population is a BAD thing, particularly for a country that is widely considered overpopulated in the first place? Their economy and debt level don't make them a bad place to live. You have so many other factors not even being considered: crime level, morality of the society as a whole, government corruption level, manufacturing base. Japan still makes a ton of stuff. Their society is built on honor, not screwing over someone for a buck. Their government may have some corruption, but nothing NEAR the level of the United States. Their crime levels are well below that of America, despite the presence of several noteworthy crime syndicates.

The biggest negative of living in Japan is the lack of living space, and the cost of living there in comparison to our country. But overall, I've spoken to a number of people that enjoyed living there and would go back in a heartbeat. The only reason they don't is because their job and family is here.

July 18th, 2012, 9:20 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Quote:
So a declining population is a BAD thing, particularly for a country that is widely considered overpopulated in the first place?

Yes. Who takes care of the old when there are no young workers to support them? This is a fundamental problem that most of western society faces, but Japan will see the day of reckoning first - arguably it already has, as its economy has declined with its population.

Quote:
Their economy and debt level don't make them a bad place to live. You have so many other factors not even being considered: crime level, morality of the society as a whole, government corruption level, manufacturing base.

It is no coincidence that rich areas are nicer to live in then poor areas. As Japan's economy continues to slump, its wealth will decline and it will not be a nice place to live.

Japan's OK right now, but it certainly isn't what it was in the 1980s or even the 1990s. It continues to be a society in decline, its major companies are struggling. I could be wrong, but I believe it will get worse.

Quote:
It's not a matter of comparison based on square miles. It's a matter of comparison based on where anyone would prefer to live, or those factors not size based that make one country better than another. I wouldn't expect one to be like another. Being great isn't based on size.

You're an athlete, yes? You know that different people have different natural abilities. Some are more inclined to be runners, whereas others might make better powerlifters.

The US faces a completely different set of circumstances from Switzerland. It's not a fair comparison. No matter what policies you implement, the US could never be like Switzerland.

The US was always based on one simple premise: if you have a set of balls, natural talent and are willing to work hard, there is no greater place. This is why I find the anti-immigration crowd to be so ignorant: this country has built its lifeblood on poaching the best talent from others. Einstein, Tesla, Fermi, IM Pei, the list goes on.

This country has never had the best educational system or the most equitable distribution of wealth. We encourage people to take risks, and we reward those who succeed very well. Admittedly most fail, but we live off the few who succeed.

July 19th, 2012, 12:11 am
RIP Killer

Blueskies wrote:
Quote:
So a declining population is a BAD thing, particularly for a country that is widely considered overpopulated in the first place?

Yes. Who takes care of the old when there are no young workers to support them? This is a fundamental problem that most of western society faces, but Japan will see the day of reckoning first - arguably it already has, as its economy has declined with its population.

The Japanese economy is declining for several reasons. It isn't just because of their population going down. My question would be, as their population dwindles, what is the average age of its citizens? Is it due to ONLY fewer births, or are their citizens not living as long?

The insurgence of Western thinking in Japan hasn't helped. At one time the Japanese auto workers were paid pennies on the dollar as compared to the US unionized worker. Since the Japanese workers have steadily increased their rate of pay and benefits to be on par with that of the US workers, the Japanese companies outsourced to lower wage countries. People in Japan are now not eating as healthy as they used to, and their young people are looking for the quick buck rather than working hard for it as their parents were taught.

However, Japan is still a culture strongly based on honor and taking care of its own. They still have better education, more efficient manufacturing and much, MUCH lower crime rates than the United States. Despite its major cities being way overpopulated, they still keep their cities clean and tourists don't feel discouraged from going there because of it.

The same can't be said of this country.

Blueskies wrote:
Quote:
Their economy and debt level don't make them a bad place to live. You have so many other factors not even being considered: crime level, morality of the society as a whole, government corruption level, manufacturing base.

It is no coincidence that rich areas are nicer to live in then poor areas. As Japan's economy continues to slump, its wealth will decline and it will not be a nice place to live.

Japan's OK right now, but it certainly isn't what it was in the 1980s or even the 1990s. It continues to be a society in decline, its major companies are struggling. I could be wrong, but I believe it will get worse.

That could be. But then again, maybe not. Right now is what the video was about, and right now Japan is a better country to live in on an individual basis. Overall, you are far more protected here from an outside threat. But you are far more protected in Japan on a day to day basis. They still are the place the world looks to for electronics and that technology. On that alone they can sustain their economy for a while. Add in the car companies, which will begin to right the ship as the worlds economies gain traction and the companies themselves address their quality issues, and things could become quite bright for them.
Blueskies wrote:
Quote:

You're an athlete, yes? You know that different people have different natural abilities. Some are more inclined to be runners, whereas others might make better powerlifters.

The US faces a completely different set of circumstances from Switzerland. It's not a fair comparison. No matter what policies you implement, the US could never be like Switzerland.

The US was always based on one simple premise: if you have a set of balls, natural talent and are willing to work hard, there is no greater place. This is why I find the anti-immigration crowd to be so ignorant: this country has built its lifeblood on poaching the best talent from others. Einstein, Tesla, Fermi, IM Pei, the list goes on.

This country has never had the best educational system or the most equitable distribution of wealth. We encourage people to take risks, and we reward those who succeed very well. Admittedly most fail, but we live off the few who succeed.

It doesn't matter what the circumstances are. Where are people better off living, right now? That's the question.

And your ideaology for the United States USED to be true. It is no longer. People still come here to succeed, that's true. But with the way things are now, more and more people are migrating here for the free handout. Less of them are assimilating into the American way of life, and more of them want Americans to adapt to their lifestyles, their beliefs.

And most people aren't against all immigration. They are against the idea of allowing ILLEGAL immigrants amnesty from prosecution and deportation. Hence the word ILLEGAL. People who want to come here and make a living for themselves, pay taxes, help sustain the economy and adapt to the ways of their new homeland....I'd welcome them with open arms. It's what all of our ancestors did. Those who come here to work the system for free benefits, fly their flags over the top of the US flag, demand that their religious beliefs be supported while seeking to defame the beliefs of others, and commit crimes in support of all this.....prosecute them, deport them...and if they come back, shoot them.

July 31st, 2012, 11:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2