View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 30th, 2014, 11:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 GAMEDAY THREAD: Obama vs. Romney Debate I 
RIP Killer

Post Re: GAMEDAY THREAD: Obama vs. Romney Debate I
njroar wrote:
The arithmetic doesn't add up and the American people aren't that stupid.

Really? You must be have much different experiences than the rest of us...

BTW - August big revision up to 142K jobs created from 96K and July revised upwards to 181K from 141K.

To quote Romney at the end of the debate - "You'll see chronic unemployment. We've had 43 straight months with unemployment above 8%."

opps.

I've said all along that the economy would be the driving force behind this election and that the numbers would improve as we neared election time. A number disagreed and said that our economy would collapse by now (houses, Europe, etc.) - didn't happen.

Stocks up nearly 30% in the last year + unemployment now below 8% = 4 more years...

October 5th, 2012, 11:48 am
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

ok I have a question about unemployement rating...

How to they guage that? It seems the only way to tell is by counting those on unemployment, but that would be totally inaccurate as a large number of people have run out of unemployment benefits in the last 6 months....but are still very unemployed. how do they count these people? or is that how the number s are starting to look so much better?

October 5th, 2012, 1:41 pm
Modmin Dude

regularjoe12 wrote:
ok I have a question about unemployement rating...

How to they guage that? It seems the only way to tell is by counting those on unemployment, but that would be totally inaccurate as a large number of people have run out of unemployment benefits in the last 6 months....but are still very unemployed. how do they count these people? or is that how the number s are starting to look so much better?
This might help to explain:
Quote:
Today’s Employment Situation report showed that in September “total unemployment” including all marginally attached workers went flat at 14.7% while the traditionally reported unemployment rate declined to 7.8%.

The traditional unemployment rate is calculated from the monthly household survey results using a fairly explicit definition of “unemployed” (essentially unemployed and currently looking for full time employment) leaving many workers to be considered effectively “on the margin” either employed in part time work when full time is preferred or simply unemployed and no longer looking for work.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics considers “marginally attached” workers (including discouraged workers) and persons who have settled for part time employment to be “underutilized” labor.

The broadest view of unemployment would include both traditionally unemployed workers and all other underutilized workers.

To calculate the “total” rate of unemployment we would simply use this larger group rather than the smaller and more restrictive “unemployed” group used in the traditional unemployment rate calculation.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/Paper ... .8-percent
Then again maybe not... :shock: :?

October 5th, 2012, 1:54 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Pablo wrote:
njroar wrote:
The arithmetic doesn't add up and the American people aren't that stupid.

Really? You must be have much different experiences than the rest of us...

BTW - August big revision up to 142K jobs created from 96K and July revised upwards to 181K from 141K.

To quote Romney at the end of the debate - "You'll see chronic unemployment. We've had 43 straight months with unemployment above 8%."

opps.

I've said all along that the economy would be the driving force behind this election and that the numbers would improve as we neared election time. A number disagreed and said that our economy would collapse by now (houses, Europe, etc.) - didn't happen.

Stocks up nearly 30% in the last year + unemployment now below 8% = 4 more years...

The economy has gotten worse every year. Stocks aren't the economy. The stocks are high because of the interest rate and easing. The GDP is shrinking and each year it's been slower growth than the year before. That isn't a stronger economy by any stretch of the imagination.

The unemployment rate is a statistical flaw and I can guarantee it will jump and be adjusted right after the election. The small survey size and who they surveyed is the tell all. Every single other jump or drop of the unemployment rate also effected the real unemployment numbers which remained exactly the same this time at 14.7. The math changed, not the number of people who got a job.

October 5th, 2012, 2:12 pm
RIP Killer

582,000 Americans also picked up part-time work last month and wouldn't be counted as unemployed (but rather underemployed). Also remember in September kids are going back to school so that helps the numbers out with less teenagers unemployed.

And yes, the stock market isn't the economy but when it comes to Americans more follow the stock market and the unemployment rate than most other indicators. Go ask a couple of folks around you to tell you what the GDP looks like right now? Lets see if you still think the "American people aren't that stupid"...

October 5th, 2012, 2:51 pm
Profile WWW

I was wrong. The next unemployment report comes out Nov. 2nd, so it will be right before the election. This report would only effect early voters.

I live in NJ. A primarily Democrat solid state, but I had someone swing by the other day from an environmental agency seeking support to stop spraying that surprisingly the democrats are blocking. Their organization is supporting Obama, but she said that nearly everyone she asked, even registered Democrats are in heavy support for Romney.

People know what the economy looks like. People vote with their wallets. They aren't relying on wall street for their livelihood, they're waiting on jobs. And they just aren't there.

People might not know what GDP is, but they sure as hell know what a paycheck is ;)

October 5th, 2012, 3:20 pm

All of the numbers are rigged. CPI, jobs, GDP whatever..birth/death adjustments, hedonics, etc etc

Bernanke even admitted it in a press conference. They asked him about declaring if the economy was in a recession. He said something like "well, we all go to a nice French restaurant...we talk about the data for awhile, and then we're just like 'Yeah, so what do you feel like?'"

The economy is humming along at stall speed and probably will for another 6-10 years.

Food stamps hit record high:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-10-0 ... ecord-high

October 5th, 2012, 8:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2