View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 1st, 2014, 9:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Where does the Republican Party go from here? 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Where does the Republican Party go from here?
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I said before that I thought Rubio should have been the VP nominee. I think the Republicans made a HUGE mistake in selecting Ryan. I do like his budget, but the main reason they selected him was they thought he could deliver Wisconsin, period. I think Robio COULD have delivered FL and more of the Hispanic vote.

Sarah Palin proved that simply nominating a representative of the group you're trying to court is not enough. You have to have the policies to match.

RE: Ryan being a 'rising star'. If the GOP has any sense whatsoever, they'll let him walk off into the sunset.

November 9th, 2012, 1:47 pm
Blueskies wrote:
I think Wag's point was by calling it "reverse discrimination" you're implicitly buying into the idea that only whites can discriminate against others.

Are preferential admission standards BS? Yes, and they should be done away with.

But, at the same time, I'm a white guy that got into Michigan undergrad. There were lots of white guys on campus. I had a few white guy friends go on to top law schools -- Michigan, Northwestern and even Harvard (he's a Jew, but I don't think they get preferential treatment in higher education). If you can't get into these schools, your resume just wasn't good enough. No excuses, play like a champion. And anyway, the cream rises to the top eventually: I know a multimillionaire lawyer that went to Cooley.

But, back on topic, I too think Hispanics should be the targeted group. Many of them are entrepreneurial as well, a key component of the Republican base.

Still, you gotta drop the hostility towards immigrants. Even if they are legal citizens (they have to be to vote) I'm sure they don't want their uncle/cousin/whoever getting deported.

If I was leading the party, I would try to actually leapfrog the Democrats and introduce more extreme versions of immigration reform. And then, as you said, work to build up more younger Hispanic Republican leaders.

Jewish is definitely a "minority" as admissions statuses go, and FWIW had I gotten into law school at UofM the only difference would have been a "cooler" wall poster, and more student debt. It wouldn't have made a hill of beans difference to my income. Still, I would have liked to have had the opportunity, and it annoys me that minorities with my credentials can get in, while I can't. It's not the "Cream rising to the top," it's most of the cream rising with curdles here and there that get brought to the top with the cream. I don't think its right, especially in terms of law school enrollment.

I understand that you have some friends that got into UofMs law school, but they went to UofM for undergrad, and they too get preferential treatment.

I really don't see the Reps as being any more hostile toward immigrants than Democrats, they're just branded that way by the media.

November 9th, 2012, 4:01 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Every school is different, but I don't think Jews or Asians get preferential treatment in higher education. They are way over represented, whereas blacks, hispanics, native americans, etc are significantly unrepresented. Likewise, women now outnumber men at many universities, so I don't think they get favored status.

Quote:
I really don't see the Reps as being any more hostile toward immigrants than Democrats, they're just branded that way by the media.

In their actions? For the most part no. Both Reagan and Bush were pretty favorable towards immigrants. But obviously, you have local Republicans in Arizona that are quite hostile. And it isn't some media conspiracy, Republicans on the national stage embrace the anti-immigrant message, even if it doesn't reflect the reality of the situation -- it plays to a large chunk of their base. Perception ultimately is reality.

November 10th, 2012, 1:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2