View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 22nd, 2014, 10:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 iPhone 6. 
Hall of Fame Player

Post iPhone 6.
I can't wait for this phone to hit the market. I might actually be able to read the screen. LOL.

http://www.cnet.com/news/iphone-6-leaks-show-a-device-begging-for-extreme-torture-testing/

July 9th, 2014, 6:21 pm
QB Coach

Post Re: iPhone 6.
This is the video the article references.

The guy doing the video is one of the best tech bloggers out there. He started doing these videos when he was a kid, and now he's getting unannounced parts shipped to him for review. He does a great job and I highly recommend checking out his other videos.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

July 9th, 2014, 7:09 pm
Team MVP

Cannot wait for the 6 to come out so I can get rid of this piece of junk Android phone. Knew the first time I had an Android phone it was junk, dont know why I bought the S4...its junk too. Please release this soon Apple!!

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

July 10th, 2014, 2:54 am
QB Coach

kdsberman wrote:
Cannot wait for the 6 to come out so I can get rid of this piece of junk Android phone. Knew the first time I had an Android phone it was junk, dont know why I bought the S4...its junk too. Please release this soon Apple!!

I'm a fan of Apple products but I wouldn't call Android junk. There are very very good Android phones out there. The S5, The HTC One, Moto X, and Nexus 5 are all very good phones. I don't include the Note as a phone because it's too big to be considered a phone in my opinion. The Note is kind of it's own category. That said, there are also a lot of low end, junk Android phones.

Regardless, the beauty is that we all have a choice and can find a phone that suits us well. For me, it's been the iPhone for a while now. I've tried several Android phones, including Nexus models, but I keep coming back to the iPhone. I'm intrigued for the iPhone 6 to say the least.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

July 10th, 2014, 3:27 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Quote:
I don't include the Note as a phone because it's too big to be considered a phone in my opinion. The Note is kind of it's own category.

It's commonly referred to as a phablet, but I think drawing a distinction is pointless. For example, the Galaxy S5 is almost the same size as the original Note, and "phablets" are highly preferred in emerging markets (China/India/etc) and will soon outnumber traditional smartphones there.

If Apple does release an iPhone 6 with a 5.5-inch screen I would be tempted to switch over from my Note, but I haven't played with Google Now on the iPhone. Does it work as well as it does on Android phones? IMO, that's really the killer feature of Android -- makes Siri look like a joke; unfortunately, many people do not know about it, or do not use it to a great extent.

July 10th, 2014, 10:04 am
QB Coach

Blueskies wrote:
Quote:
I don't include the Note as a phone because it's too big to be considered a phone in my opinion. The Note is kind of it's own category.

It's commonly referred to as a phablet, but I think drawing a distinction is pointless. For example, the Galaxy S5 is almost the same size as the original Note, and "phablets" are highly preferred in emerging markets (China/India/etc) and will soon outnumber traditional smartphones there.

If Apple does release an iPhone 6 with a 5.5-inch screen I would be tempted to switch over from my Note, but I haven't played with Google Now on the iPhone. Does it work as well as it does on Android phones? IMO, that's really the killer feature of Android -- makes Siri look like a joke; unfortunately, many people do not know about it, or do not use it to a great extent.

I have no idea if it works the same. The few times I've used it, it works fine. But I also don't use Siri. To me, all of those things lack any real value (for me). That may be because I don't have a daily commute or anything like that right now, so I have no use for a system that shows traffic or things like that. The only thing I'd use would be the daily weather, and I have a weather app for that. Maybe when I'm back to work in a few weeks I'll find it more useful, but for now it doesn't provide any value to me. One other thought on it: if it is something that people either don't know about or don't use very much, is it really that useful? At least on a mass scale I mean. If it were something that truly helped and made people's day better, wouldn't it be used by more people? I'm not saying that's definitely right. I just think it's an interesting thought.

As for the Note, that's just my personal preference. I think there are two different market segments when looking at the Note vs iPhone/GS5/One/Nexus. All of the latter phones are small enough to be pocketed and carried around, while the Note is too big for that. I do know some people who have the Note and can fit it in their pocket, but they have to take it out of their pocket to sit down. That's absurd to me. But, again, just my personal preference.

I can speak to the emerging markets somewhat personally, as I lived in Indonesia for a year. Android is definitely more popular, especially amongst the average person. That's largely due to cost. iPhones are much much more expensive in countries outside the US. Also, most people in Indo have more than one phone. Many people had a Note, but also had a Blackberry. That was the general trend - one smartphone and one blackberry. I thought it was very weird, but that's what it was. That will probably go away now that BBM is available cross platform.

Anyway, regarding the iPhone 6, it will be interesting to see what it is. I think the video is a very good indicator. The guy in the video doesn't generally speculate, so I'd be pretty confident that what we see there is the actual sapphire panel and shows us the size of the phone. I also don't think Apple is going to come out with a 5.5" phone. I think they'll go with 4.7" and that will be it. But, I've been wrong before and I could very well be wrong here again.

July 10th, 2014, 11:09 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

kdsberman wrote:

Its all in the eye of the beerholder. I've had an iphone (FREE TOO) from work for the past 3 years. I hated it. Work changed our jobs and killed the phones (no more customers having my cell phone #, yay) just recently, so I went and got an S5. It is far and away a better device and the android platform is way better than iOS (for me). I pay $80/month for Unlimited everything (and also got a 7" Tablet with 4G included in that) and even if work offered me free service with an Iphone now I'd decline it.. IE you couldnt pay me to go back. Not knocking anyone who likes iPhone, but honestly can't understand its attraction other than fanboism. Their products are simple.. making them what Id recommend for my Mom, but not nearly as good in any other way IMO.

July 10th, 2014, 11:36 am
Profile ICQ WWW
QB Coach

DJ-B wrote:
Its all in the eye of the beerholder. I've had an iphone (FREE TOO) from work for the past 3 years. I hated it. Work changed our jobs and killed the phones (no more customers having my cell phone #, yay) just recently, so I went and got an S5. It is far and away a better device and the android platform is way better than iOS (for me). I pay $80/month for Unlimited everything (and also got a 7" Tablet with 4G included in that) and even if work offered me free service with an Iphone now I'd decline it.. IE you couldnt pay me to go back. Not knocking anyone who likes iPhone, but honestly can't understand its attraction other than fanboism. Their products are simple.. making them what Id recommend for my Mom, but not nearly as good in any other way IMO.

For me it has nothing to do with fanboyism. I've used iOS and Android, and have moved between them several times. For me, the issue was always the same: Android was just never as stable or smooth as iOS. There is no doubt that Android can do more things, in large part because it is more open. But with that openness comes more hiccups. That's not to say that there aren't also hiccups on iOS. There are. Every piece of technology has times where it doesn't work quite right, and there are things I think Android does better. But overall, I prefer iOS because it has been more reliably stable and consistent (for me). It's very similar in my opinion to the OSX vs Windows debate. I used Windows for years, and then one day I got fed up with all the problems I was having and switched to a Mac (OSX). After a couple years, I decided to switch back to give Windows 7 a shot. It worked fine for a while, but then problems started popping up, and they increased. It got annoying, so I switched back to OSX. Much like Android, there is no question that Windows can do more things and is more open than OSX, but it also has more issues. I prefer a more stable platform with less issues, so that's what I go with.

July 10th, 2014, 11:58 am

Quote:
To me, all of those things lack any real value (for me). That may be because I don't have a daily commute or anything like that right now, so I have no use for a system that shows traffic or things like that. The only thing I'd use would be the daily weather, and I have a weather app for that. Maybe when I'm back to work in a few weeks I'll find it more useful, but for now it doesn't provide any value to me. One other thought on it: if it is something that people either don't know about or don't use very much, is it really that useful? At least on a mass scale I mean. If it were something that truly helped and made people's day better, wouldn't it be used by more people? I'm not saying that's definitely right. I just think it's an interesting thought.

It's sort of a beta product and you have to opt-in. Also, because it relies on data collection, you have to use all Google services to get the most out of it -- you have to give it access to your Chrome browsing history, your Google calendar, your gmail, etc. But if you make the most of it, it's phenomenally useful. If your flight is delayed, it will update you -- it scans your email, finds your flight number, and cross-references it with the airline's website. It keeps track of where you parked. It lets you know how your favorite teams are doing in real-time. It tells you when your packages have been delivered. If you were searching for a local restaurant on your laptop, it will pop up on your phone with directions on how to get there Etc. That might not be useful for everyone (many people might find it creepy) but I love it.

Quote:
As for the Note, that's just my personal preference. I think there are two different market segments when looking at the Note vs iPhone/GS5/One/Nexus. All of the latter phones are small enough to be pocketed and carried around, while the Note is too big for that. I do know some people who have the Note and can fit it in their pocket, but they have to take it out of their pocket to sit down. That's absurd to me. But, again, just my personal preference.

Sure, but it's an arbitrary distinction. The Note fits in my pocket, but I'm a tall guy. Most of my girlfriend's outfits don't even have pockets, so she just keeps it in her purse. I think the better line to draw is one-handed use: Does it require two hands to operate? Even then, that's subjective based on the size of your hands, and will recede in importance as wearables mature. I can imagine a future where people carry a 5-7inch phone for app useage/browsing and pair it with a smart watch for things like calls, texting, voice commands. Note that LG's executives sort of agree with me here, and have merged their phablet/smartphone line, arguing that the 5.5-inch G3 is the perfect solution for everyone.

Quote:
I can speak to the emerging markets somewhat personally, as I lived in Indonesia for a year. Android is definitely more popular, especially amongst the average person. That's largely due to cost. iPhones are much much more expensive in countries outside the US.

Obviously they have limited bugets, but size plays into that. Someone in India can't afford to purchase both an iPhone and an iPad -- they get more bang for their buck going with a hybrid device.

Quote:
I also don't think Apple is going to come out with a 5.5" phone. I think they'll go with 4.7" and that will be it. But, I've been wrong before and I could very well be wrong here again.

Based on the reports I've seen, I'm expecting Apple to do away with the 6 moniker entirely. iPhone Air (4.7-inch) and iPhone Pro (5.5-inch). But I guess we'll see.

July 10th, 2014, 11:58 am
Team MVP

Reason I call Android junk, is because I cant think of another word that best describes them. When I spend x-amount of dollars on a phone that is supposed to be high-end and it doesnt do what its supposed to, its junk. When I get a text message and i put my finger over the screen to press the button and it turns black, so I have to hit the home screen to turn it back on...its junk. (And yes, all the gestures and motion settings are OFF). And when I get a text message and I pull it out of my pocket and it automatically brings up the weather app without me touching it....its junk. When I am using a notepad app to record my weightlifting numbers and I go to enter another number in and it automatically closes down...junk. When I wake up in the middle of the night, every night, to turn my screen off because it automatically turns on...junk. When it freezes....junk. S-voice never works...junk. But hey, battery life is good. Im assuming its because it doesnt do any thinking so it doesnt use any battery life. My iPhones NEVER had ANY of these problems. Everything worked spot on every single time I went to use it.

Like mentioned above, it IS personal preference. I just personally dont prefer junk.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

July 10th, 2014, 2:45 pm

Sounds like you have a faulty S4. Those are not normal problems and should not happen. If it's within the 1-year warranty, I would request a new one from Samsung. If it's outside and you have insurance, I'd exchange it. If you can't do either of those, I'd sell it to Gazelle and buy a new phone out of pocket.

Certain things like S-Voice being junk and an app crashing every once in a while are par for the course. But things like the screen randomly turning on, etc. are not normal.

July 10th, 2014, 2:51 pm
Team MVP

Blueskies wrote:
Sounds like you have a faulty S4. Those are not normal problems and should not happen. If it's within the 1-year warranty, I would request a new one from Samsung. If it's outside and you have insurance, I'd exchange it. If you can't do either of those, I'd sell it to Gazelle and buy a new phone out of pocket.

Certain things like S-Voice being junk and an app crashing every once in a while are par for the course. But things like the screen randomly turning on, etc. are not normal.

Happened to my wifes S4, and she was smart and got rid of it and went to an iPhone 5s. My cousin...same thing. When I used to have a droid, it did the same thing.

July 10th, 2014, 3:43 pm

Quote:
When I get a text message and i put my finger over the screen to press the button and it turns black, so I have to hit the home screen to turn it back on...its junk. (And yes, all the gestures and motion settings are OFF). And when I get a text message and I pull it out of my pocket and it automatically brings up the weather app without me touching it....its junk. When I am using a notepad app to record my weightlifting numbers and I go to enter another number in and it automatically closes down...junk. When I wake up in the middle of the night, every night, to turn my screen off because it automatically turns on...junk

The bolded issues all sound like the phone is unlocking/locking itself without you giving that command. Are you using a case? Is the USB port faulty? Again, it could be a defective phone.

These are not problems inherent to Android. Android definitely does have some inherent problems, but they generally have to do with app compatibility -- apps not tested to work with a particular handset, can do funky things on that handset. Something like an S4, however, that sells in massive quantities, generally doesn't have that issue.

If you complained about apps crashing, or the settings menu being overly complicated, or all the random and duplicate apps (Samsung browser and Chrome, Samsung email and gmail, Samsung text messaging and hangouts, etc.), then you would have some valid concerns. But it sounds like you're blaming the operating system for localized hardware problems.

July 10th, 2014, 4:13 pm
QB Coach

Blueskies wrote:
It's sort of a beta product and you have to opt-in. Also, because it relies on data collection, you have to use all Google services to get the most out of it -- you have to give it access to your Chrome browsing history, your Google calendar, your gmail, etc. But if you make the most of it, it's phenomenally useful. If your flight is delayed, it will update you -- it scans your email, finds your flight number, and cross-references it with the airline's website. It keeps track of where you parked. It lets you know how your favorite teams are doing in real-time. It tells you when your packages have been delivered. If you were searching for a local restaurant on your laptop, it will pop up on your phone with directions on how to get there Etc. That might not be useful for everyone (many people might find it creepy) but I love it.

Yeah I get that it can be useful. I just wonder how useful it truly is for average users (masses). Admittedly I don't have access to all of it since I've been living outside the US for the past 2 years, but I'm returning to the US next week so it'll be interesting to see if I find it more useful when I'm back. My immediate thought are 1: I don't use Chrome, so the integration with that isn't useful for me. I did use Chrome previously, but I've found the new version of Safari is superior to it for me. 2: I already get almost all those notifications & services elsewhere. If my flight is delayed, I get a text from the airline and/or a notification from their app notifying me. Parking I can't speak to as I haven't driven in two years, so that one could be useful (although in the past I've generally not had a problem remembering where I park so who knows). I already get notifications about sports teams from ESPN and Twitter, so Google doing it as well doesn't add value for me. Restaurant directions could be useful, although this kind of already happens with Google Maps. If I look up the place in maps on my laptop, it will populate into Google Maps on my phone. The only thing I see out of these that really could be useful is having them all in one app. But even that isn't a big deal to me since things are already set up and work fine. At the end of the day, it comes down to whether or not there is a viable use-case for Google Now, and so far I don't think there is for most people.

Quote:
Sure, but it's an arbitrary distinction. The Note fits in my pocket, but I'm a tall guy. Most of my girlfriend's outfits don't even have pockets, so she just keeps it in her purse. I think the better line to draw is one-handed use: Does it require two hands to operate? Even then, that's subjective based on the size of your hands, and will recede in importance as wearables mature. I can imagine a future where people carry a 5-7inch phone for app useage/browsing and pair it with a smart watch for things like calls, texting, voice commands. Note that LG's executives sort of agree with me here, and have merged their phablet/smartphone line, arguing that the 5.5-inch G3 is the perfect solution for everyone.

I'm 6' tall and there's no way a Note would fit in my pocket. I've tried. It barely fits in while I'm standing, and if I sat down with it in my pocket either my pants would rip or the device would crack in half. That doesn't work for me as an everyday carrying around device.

Quote:
Obviously they have limited bugets, but size plays into that. Someone in India can't afford to purchase both an iPhone and an iPad -- they get more bang for their buck going with a hybrid device.

Indonesia is very similar to India in terms of economics. The poor people will never, ever have a smartphone. No way. There's no way they could afford it. They live on the equivalent of a few dollars per week. It's the middle/upper class and the rich who buy it, and they may buy two devices. I can't speak to the buying habits of the people in India with any authority though, so I could be wrong.

Quote:
Based on the reports I've seen, I'm expecting Apple to do away with the 6 moniker entirely. iPhone Air (4.7-inch) and iPhone Pro (5.5-inch). But I guess we'll see.

Yeah I've seen those too. I just haven't seen as many leaks about that one as I have for the 4.7 inch model, so I have my doubts. It could be that the 5.5 inch model will launch later than the 4.7 inch one, so maybe the leaks will come. Who knows....

July 11th, 2014, 4:09 am

Quote:
I'm 6' tall and there's no way a Note would fit in my pocket. I've tried. It barely fits in while I'm standing, and if I sat down with it in my pocket either my pants would rip or the device would crack in half.

Do you wear skinny jeans? It might bulge out a bit, but it generally fits. See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt3IDI5TdIk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfKoEAEaOYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbf32PikiBs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daDBBU_r3MM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y3FLiZex1c

Quote:
Indonesia is very similar to India in terms of economics. The poor people will never, ever have a smartphone. No way. There's no way they could afford it. They live on the equivalent of a few dollars per week. It's the middle/upper class and the rich who buy it, and they may buy two devices. I can't speak to the buying habits of the people in India with any authority though, so I could be wrong

Even the middle class do not compare to the Western middle class. If you the follow the IDC, Kantar Worldpanel numbers, etc. you see that the $200-300 phablet has emerged as the favored device in those regions. Its why Microsoft released a budget version of their phablet in those markets. http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/09/04 ... -hot-asia/

July 11th, 2014, 10:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next