View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 17th, 2014, 10:24 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Is it just me or has the Off Topic forum gone downhill? 
QB Coach

Post Is it just me or has the Off Topic forum gone downhill?
I used to really enjoy coming on the Off Topic forums for good debates with people on all sorts of topics, but now it seems that everything is turned into petty bickering and partisan crap. The Boston Bombing thread is a great example: what was started as a thread to discuss the days' events is now a political pissing contest about Obama. Even in that thread it was shown that that the points being used to argue that Obama is somehow to blame are not true (the fact that there actually haven't been any real cuts in any spending, and that defense and security spending has still increased), but it's not even addressed and just brushed aside. I don't get it. Have we lost our ability to actually debate based on facts and now can only spout our opinions louder and louder, regardless of whether they are actually supported by facts and reality?

I don't know, maybe it's me that has changed. Having lived outside the US for most of the past year, I see things from the outside looking in and there's so much that's just so stupid and petty. Maybe it's always been that way and I just didn't see it before. I don't know.

All I know right now is I'm disheartened by what I see here and I wonder if anyone else feels the same way. Thoughts?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

April 16th, 2013, 2:08 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Is it just me or has the Off Topic forum gone downhill?
Yeah, I am disheartened by this. That's really I can say at this time.

NEVER GIVE UP!

April 16th, 2013, 8:12 am
RIP Killer

Just remember TDJ, it takes two to Tango (or debate, as the case may be). Yes, it is often that the Off Topic threads veer into the political realm, but the fact is that politics do effect most everything in our lives, so it's a natural segway. That said, there are many times a discussion veers not into the polticial forum, but into a religious forum.

The fact is, when you get a few people, any people, talking about something it will eventually become some sort of a debate if you give them long enough.

As for the Boston bombing thread...there's very little to actually discuss. Once more we had errant reporting by news agencies who originally were stating that 30 or more were dead.

I'll sum it up for you....a couple bombs went off at the finish line of the Boston Marathon. Two peoople died, many were injured and we don't know who is responsible at this time.

Simple, and nothing to discuss.

April 16th, 2013, 9:27 am
m2karateman wrote:
Just remember TDJ, it takes two to Tango (or debate, as the case may be). Yes, it is often that the Off Topic threads veer into the political realm, but the fact is that politics do effect most everything in our lives, so it's a natural segway. That said, there are many times a discussion veers not into the polticial forum, but into a religious forum.

The fact is, when you get a few people, any people, talking about something it will eventually become some sort of a debate if you give them long enough.

As for the Boston bombing thread...there's very little to actually discuss. Once more we had errant reporting by news agencies who originally were stating that 30 or more were dead.

I'll sum it up for you....a couple bombs went off at the finish line of the Boston Marathon. Two peoople died, many were injured and we don't know who is responsible at this time.

I agree with this 100%.

I watched zero coverage of it yesterday. I refused to "feed the beast." I'm fed up with our "news" agencies, and the BS that they report.

As to the degradation of the Off-topic Form, I blame it on the "great divider." Obama has driven a wedge into this country that hasn't been seen since at least the 80's. He's lied, repeatedly, done the exact opposite of his campaign promises, and has said to have a "mandate" because he received a whopping 2-3% more of the Country's vote over Romney, a piss poor candidate.

The Democrats have used the phrase "never waste a tragedy," they politicized everything under Bush, and they continue it to this day. With that you can't have unification, or "good debate" of facts. It's a mud slinging fest.

You can argue that "two wrongs don't make a right," but you'd be wrong. The fact is, in today's day and age, with the way the media reports, it's better to be first, loudest, and most ridiculous than "correct." Being "correct" gets you some bullshit redaction on the back page, being first, loud and belligerent gets coverage, and gets the message out, flat out.

April 16th, 2013, 11:06 am
Player of the Year - Defense

I think the problem is that most of the posters here are the types of people this tumblr was designed to make fun of:

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/obama's%20fault

April 16th, 2013, 10:56 pm
QB Coach

Blueskies wrote:
I think the problem is that most of the posters here are the types of people this tumblr was designed to make fun of:

That goes both ways. Democrats and Obama himself for a long time blamed everything on Bush. Sometimes they still do it today.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

April 16th, 2013, 11:54 pm
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

That goes both ways. Democrats and Obama himself for a long time blamed everything on Bush. Sometimes they still do it today.

And therein lies the problem.

Newt Gingrich had the "facts" on his side, and he lost miserably. It wasn't the "infidelity" that got him, it was the mudslinging. Mitt Romney had "facts" on his side, and lost miserably. You simply can't stay on message today. It's three to four word slogans that dominate the coverage. Catchy phrases mean more than long-winded facts. We are literally living in "Idocricy."

"Facts" don't mean anything anymore. It's blame game and marketing, all the way.

April 17th, 2013, 12:49 am

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

Absolutely, but that wasn't my point.

Most of the posters here are hardcore partisan Republicans who parrot the same messages repeatedly. Hence, the debates on this forum are pointless, as its the same people posting the same things again and again.

April 17th, 2013, 1:06 am
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

m2karateman wrote:

When the Boston marathon bombing occured, my extremely Liberal office manager insisted that it was likely a home grown act of terror, and not an act of Muslim or Islamic terror. Rather than let it go, I insisted we bet a buck. I even gave odds that if one of the bombers was not Muslim, then she would win. Needless to say I am a buck richer.

PS: My manager would not bet on the recent London beheading. She is learning her lesson.

May 27th, 2013, 6:13 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Mitt Romney had "facts" on his side, and lost miserably. You simply can't stay on message today. It's three to four word slogans that dominate the coverage. Catchy phrases mean more than long-winded facts. We are literally living in "Idocricy."

"Facts" don't mean anything anymore. It's blame game and marketing, all the way.

Romney thought the only thing people care about was the economy, as if all we need is a little more pocket change. Romney ran away from cultural issues like a frightened cat and lost. If Romney chose an Allen West or Condi Rice, if he welcomed the TEA party with open arms, if he went to lunch at Chik-fil-a and thanked them for a wonderful meal, he wins the election. Romney tried to win by playing it safe and inspired nobody.

Romney ran a lousy election and, to no one's surprise, got lousy results.

May 27th, 2013, 6:23 pm

TruckinMack wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

When the Boston marathon bombing occured, my extremely Liberal office manager insisted that it was likely a home grown act of terror, and not an act of Muslim or Islamic terror. Rather than let it go, I insisted we bet a buck. I even gave odds that if one of the bombers was not Muslim, then she would win. Needless to say I am a buck richer.

PS: My manager would not bet on the recent London beheading. She is learning her lesson.

Arguably it was home grown. One of them was a citizen, had been here since he was 9. The other 14/15, here for 12 years.

May 28th, 2013, 12:21 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Blueskies wrote:
TruckinMack wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

Arguably it was home grown. One of them was a citizen, had been here since he was 9. The other 14/15, here for 12 years.

I've been calling it homegrown myself. been here to long to call em foreign anymore.

May 28th, 2013, 1:25 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

TruckinMack wrote:

Regular Joe and Blue Skies, although the bet is long past and the events well settled, I am willing to extend you you both the same bet I made with my office manager. (We'll have to figure out how to forward the winning bets, but can worry about that later.)

I would contend that this was an act of imported terror and was definitely an act of Muslim outrage. (Imported not because the mad bombers were immigrants, but because their hostility was fed from overseas. I may be in error, and it was actually the public school system that convinced them of America's inherent evil, though I have not heard this theory anywhere.)

May 28th, 2013, 3:19 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

TruckinMack wrote:
TruckinMack wrote:

Regular Joe and Blue Skies, although the bet is long past and the events well settled, I am willing to extend you you both the same bet I made with my office manager. (We'll have to figure out how to forward the winning bets, but can worry about that later.)

I would contend that this was an act of imported terror and was definitely an act of Muslim outrage. (Imported not because the mad bombers were immigrants, but because their hostility was fed from overseas. I may be in error, and it was actually the public school system that convinced them of America's inherent evil, though I have not heard this theory anywhere.)

no it cant be the schools...both kids were 21 or younger with having a MINIMUM of 12 years of being in country. The hate may have started overseas....but this was a case of home grown ignorance IMO. these guys are no different than McVay to me.....Just someone stupid trying to act like thier cause was more important than other people.

May 28th, 2013, 3:29 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

regularjoe12 wrote:
no it cant be the schools...both kids were 21 or younger with having a MINIMUM of 12 years of being in country. The hate may have started overseas....but this was a case of home grown ignorance IMO. these guys are no different than McVay to me.....Just someone stupid trying to act like thier cause was more important than other people.

1) Why can't it have started with public education?

and

2) Com'n RJ. You can do it. Say it was 'Islamic Totalitariansim'. If they had killed your mother, brother, child would you be looking at the Michigan Militia to make sure it never happened again? Or would you be looking at Muslim transplants, and those they try corrupt with their teachings of hate? (John Walker Lindh comes to mind.)

Just for giggles, if giggles is ever proper in this context, let's track the next 50 random acts of murder or attempted murder that have a political cause. (I'm trying to eliminate gang violence from this discussion.) I'll bet a buck that 47 or more are attributable to Muslim/Islamic Totalitariansim.

May 28th, 2013, 4:33 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next