View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 11:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 The Beauty of Obamacare 
Pro Bowl Player

Post The Beauty of Obamacare
Obamacare Is Driving Some Doctors To Stop Taking Insurance Altogether

Quote:
A Portland, Maine family doctor is the poster child for private practitioners who are turning their backs on insurers altogether.

In April, Dr. Michael Ciampi stopped accepting all forms of insurance, including Medicare and Medicaid, and started charging for his services a la carte.

"We're asking people to pay at the time of service just like you would pay at your garage or your lawyer or your plumber," Dr. Michael Ciampi told the Bangor Daily News' Jackie Farwell. "Now, I work for patients. I don't work for the government and I don't work for insurance companies."

Primary care doctors are among the lowest paid in the industry, and they've seen big cuts to their bottom line recently, as insurers cap physician fees in order to rein in health care costs. Once Obamacare goes into full effect in 2014, it's predicted that insurance premiums will skyrocket, and all the extra paper work required will cost private practices like Ciampi's more time, money and manpower.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/private- ... z2UizSEiah

It would be great if a majority of healthcare providers switched to this model. It would ultimately have the best effect at driving down prices, as doctors could compete among eachother.

May 29th, 2013, 6:49 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

Post Re: The Beauty of Obamacare
Blueskies wrote:
Obamacare Is Driving Some Doctors To Stop Taking Insurance Altogether

Quote:
A Portland, Maine family doctor is the poster child for private practitioners who are turning their backs on insurers altogether.

In April, Dr. Michael Ciampi stopped accepting all forms of insurance, including Medicare and Medicaid, and started charging for his services a la carte.

"We're asking people to pay at the time of service just like you would pay at your garage or your lawyer or your plumber," Dr. Michael Ciampi told the Bangor Daily News' Jackie Farwell. "Now, I work for patients. I don't work for the government and I don't work for insurance companies."

Primary care doctors are among the lowest paid in the industry, and they've seen big cuts to their bottom line recently, as insurers cap physician fees in order to rein in health care costs. Once Obamacare goes into full effect in 2014, it's predicted that insurance premiums will skyrocket, and all the extra paper work required will cost private practices like Ciampi's more time, money and manpower.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/private- ... z2UizSEiah

It would be great if a majority of healthcare providers switched to this model. It would ultimately have the best effect at driving down prices, as doctors could compete among eachother.

I've been advocating this for years. (Remember I own a health care clinic.) It will definitely lead to less expensive care (as the biggest driving force in health care right now is the consumer who insists of having the 'best' care because they have insurance). It will also lead to a vastly reduced quality of care. How often will people have an 'MRI' just to be sure there is nothing wrong.

As a PT, if this model became the norm, I will have to completely rewrite my business plan. I will start making about 25 percent of what I am currently. (I'd probably form a partnership with a gym.) Still, probably the best thing for reducing health costs.

If you really want to cut costs, get rid of the mandate for professional licenses. Let the consumer choose if they want a licensed pro, or an unlicensed one. (I'd probably burn my license in a heartbeat.)

Blueskies is my hero. I worship the ground he walks on.

May 29th, 2013, 9:28 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Quote:
It will definitely lead to less expensive care (as the biggest driving force in health care right now is the consumer who insists of having the 'best' care because they have insurance). It will also lead to a vastly reduced quality of care. How often will people have an 'MRI' just to be sure there is nothing wrong.

It wouldn't necessarily lead to reduced quality. While there would be cheaper options, there would also certainly be high end stuff for those who can afford it. No different than any other business.

I'm also skeptical of preventive care. Not to say I have any expertise in this field -- I certainly don't -- but the more I read, the more I'm inclined to think that screening, tests, etc are really just a scam for the healthcare industry to take in additional revenue. Hell, some of the testing procedures can be harmful: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/CancerPrev ... d=15113551

May 29th, 2013, 9:47 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

I have to question how smart of a business model this is when everyone is about to be mandated to buy insurance... Why would anyone buy insurance and then choose not to use it?

June 3rd, 2013, 9:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]