View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 5:46 am



Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Smartphones 
Author Message
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2701
Post Smartphones
Don't think we've discussed this lately. What are you guys using?

Just switched to Verizon, got the Galaxy Note 3. Amazing phone, battery life lasts forever.


November 22nd, 2013, 10:11 am
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12141
Post Re: Smartphones
Still on Verizon, just got iPhone 5S couple weeks ago. Really fast and the best battery life I've had in awhile...and so much lighter (weight) than my old 4S.

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


November 22nd, 2013, 10:42 am
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3362
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Smartphones
Still have my iPhone 4s. I can upgrade in another month. I've been a VERY faithful Apple user and always said I'd never have anything but an iPhone. But man, they just dont seem to be the top dogs any more. EVERY phone has a large screen because thats what people want. Easier to navigate, watch movies, view the web...etc. Apple finally hints at having a bigger screen, and what do they do? Make a longer screen. C'mon, man! Then their new phone is coming out...what could possibly be the newest, biggest, fanciest feature from Apple that they always introduce? The anticipation is killing me! Then its here........fingerprint technology. Wow. :roll: Thats it huh?

I'm not here to rip on Apple, especially since ive been a dedicated Apple user for a while. But man.

When I take a picture, (at least on my phone), I cant take it..click send... Nope. Gotta exit out of the camera, go into photos, pick a photo, THEN send it. Also, why dont they have "Photos" and "Videos". THAT would make sense. But no. Apple has to have "Camera Roll", "My Photo Stream", and "Videos". Its a darn hunt just to find a photo I took that I want to send.

Watching YouTube sucks too. Horrible quality. Of course, its hard to see on that dinky little thing Apple calls a screen.

IOS 7 sucks. At least on the 4. Its too slow. When I click on the messages app, and on the person I want to text, I have to wait for it to finish loading. Never had to before. I could click on the name and type away.

Maybe, just MAYBE, the iPhone 6 will finally have a REAL large screen. Not something 6 feet long and an inch wide.

Holding off until the Spring when the Galaxy and iPhone generally come out. I'm giving Apple one last time, or else im going to a Galaxy. Now THATS a real phone.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


December 2nd, 2013, 5:58 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9494
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Smartphones
TheRealWags wrote:
Still on Verizon, just got iPhone 5S couple weeks ago. Really fast and the best battery life I've had in awhile...and so much lighter (weight) than my old 4S.


ditto. But I'm pretty impressed with what Samsung is putting out recently.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


December 2nd, 2013, 6:12 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3142
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: Smartphones
kdsberman wrote:
Still have my iPhone 4s. I can upgrade in another month. I've been a VERY faithful Apple user and always said I'd never have anything but an iPhone. But man, they just dont seem to be the top dogs any more. EVERY phone has a large screen because thats what people want. Easier to navigate, watch movies, view the web...etc. Apple finally hints at having a bigger screen, and what do they do? Make a longer screen. C'mon, man! Then their new phone is coming out...what could possibly be the newest, biggest, fanciest feature from Apple that they always introduce? The anticipation is killing me! Then its here........fingerprint technology. Wow. :roll: Thats it huh?

I'm not here to rip on Apple, especially since ive been a dedicated Apple user for a while. But man.

When I take a picture, (at least on my phone), I cant take it..click send... Nope. Gotta exit out of the camera, go into photos, pick a photo, THEN send it. Also, why dont they have "Photos" and "Videos". THAT would make sense. But no. Apple has to have "Camera Roll", "My Photo Stream", and "Videos". Its a darn hunt just to find a photo I took that I want to send.

Watching YouTube sucks too. Horrible quality. Of course, its hard to see on that dinky little thing Apple calls a screen.

IOS 7 sucks. At least on the 4. Its too slow. When I click on the messages app, and on the person I want to text, I have to wait for it to finish loading. Never had to before. I could click on the name and type away.

Maybe, just MAYBE, the iPhone 6 will finally have a REAL large screen. Not something 6 feet long and an inch wide.

Holding off until the Spring when the Galaxy and iPhone generally come out. I'm giving Apple one last time, or else im going to a Galaxy. Now THATS a real phone.

I'm not going to dispute the screen size thing because that's just a personal preference. I've used bigger phones and iPhones and I find the iPhone 5 size to be good for me. But like I said, personal preference. The one thing I will say is that one reason they made the phone longer without going wider is it allowed them to scale up the aspect ratio of apps without requiring a wholesale redesign from app developers. So there's a reason they went with that.

What I will dispute is a couple of your statements about iOS. First of all, if you're still using an iPhone 4s, it's shouldn't be surprising that the phone is slow. You're using a 2 year old phone! No piece of consumer electronics, especially a communications device, still works very well 2 years on. Something like that just doesn't exist. Hell, Google won't even upgrade the Galaxy Nexus (which came out about the same time as the 4s) to the latest version of Android. They've made it public that they only support phones for 18 months. This is because the hardware running the phone is too old after 2 years for it to keep updating. Similar, the technology that existed at the time the iPhone 4s came out is totally different from the tech in phones today. The 4s has a significantly slower CPU, GPU, a smaller battery, lower resolution screen, worse camera, etc. Everything about it is significantly lesser than current hardware, so software designed to run on current hardware isn't going to work too well on it. Also, iOS 7 most certainly does do what you described with taking a picture and sending it. Just like on every other phone, when you take a picture, you remain in the camera app. But if you tap on the photo you just took (lower left corner of the screen next to the shutter button), it brings up the pic. Then you tap share and send it however you want. That's pretty much the same set of steps on any platform.

Regardless, my main point is that using old hardware to judge new software is a bad idea. It will always be a more negative experience. There is no software upgrade that allows a 2 year old device to get faster. It just doesn't exist. Think about it this way: the new software is adding new features and doing more things, so it's going to require more horsepower to drive it. Your old phone doesn't have any more horsepower, so adding the new software is going to slow it down. It's really as simple as that.

As for what phone to get, I say get the one that best suits your needs. If a bigger screen is a huge deal, go with an Android phone. They make several great devices now (I'd argue that the Moto X is a better phone than the Galaxy S4, but both are solid). I'm currently using the iPhone 5, and I won't be upgrading til I move back to the US next year. We'll see what the marketplace looks like then. It's a great time to be a mobile phone consumer because there are a lot of good choices.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


December 2nd, 2013, 9:36 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3362
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Smartphones
Touchdown Jesus, you are definitely right. I don't know a ton about phones so complaining is my only weapon. For some reason though my phone will not do the picture taking thing. Don't know why. My wife has the same phone and can do it, but mine for some reason can't. Same software, same everything.

Reading a lot of rumors, though rumors, that the iPhone 6 is supposed to really set the bar. They're saying September-ish. Do I hold out? If I could find a way to get a new battery I probably would.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


December 2nd, 2013, 10:07 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2701
Post Re: Smartphones
Quote:
When I take a picture, (at least on my phone), I cant take it..click send... Nope. Gotta exit out of the camera, go into photos, pick a photo, THEN send it. Also, why dont they have "Photos" and "Videos". THAT would make sense. But no. Apple has to have "Camera Roll", "My Photo Stream", and "Videos". Its a darn hunt just to find a photo I took that I want to send.


After you take the photo you can click on the thumbnail in the corner, then from there you can send it to someone.


December 2nd, 2013, 10:20 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7443
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Smartphones
kdsberman wrote:
Touchdown Jesus, you are definitely right. I don't know a ton about phones so complaining is my only weapon. For some reason though my phone will not do the picture taking thing. Don't know why. My wife has the same phone and can do it, but mine for some reason can't. Same software, same everything.

Reading a lot of rumors, though rumors, that the iPhone 6 is supposed to really set the bar. They're saying September-ish. Do I hold out? If I could find a way to get a new battery I probably would.


At least you won't have to wait long. I just got my first I phone, a 4S, back in October. I feel your pain about the OS7 on it.

But, if you bought the insurance, it sounds like you need to visit the Apple Store and get the camera fixed.


December 2nd, 2013, 10:42 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3142
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: Smartphones
kdsberman wrote:
Touchdown Jesus, you are definitely right. I don't know a ton about phones so complaining is my only weapon. For some reason though my phone will not do the picture taking thing. Don't know why. My wife has the same phone and can do it, but mine for some reason can't. Same software, same everything.

Reading a lot of rumors, though rumors, that the iPhone 6 is supposed to really set the bar. They're saying September-ish. Do I hold out? If I could find a way to get a new battery I probably would.

Mobile phones are kind of my thing. I'm the guy my family and friends come to when they have questions about what phone to get, so hopefully I can help.

As others have said, that's really weird about the pictures. When you're in the camera app, does it look something like this?

Image

Do you see a thumbnail in the lower left (circled in red on the picture)? If so, tap on that and it will open your pictures. Then click on the share button, as shown in the lower left corner of the picture below.

Image





Then you should see something like this:

Image

Your view will be a bit different since you're on the 4s. I believe AirDrop will not be shown, as this is not supported on the 4s. But you should still be able to select message, or email, or Facebook...etc, and share accordingly.

Do you not get a view like this when you use your camera?

As for rumors about the iPhone 6, it's way early for that. Nobody knows anything yet. The 5s just came out a couple months ago, and we're still 10 months from out from the next one. It seems to me that you're frustrated with your phone (based on your comments) and you're ready for an upgrade. That being the case, I wouldn't wait. If you want to try out Android, I'd go with the Moto X. If you like the iOS experience, the 5s will be a big upgrade for you. It's much faster, the camera is WAY better than on the 4s, and from what I've read the fingerprint scanner is really nice. In the end, it depends what is most important to you. If you want a bigger screen and more flexibility re:customization, go with Android. If you're happy with the iOS experience and want the latest update, get the 5s.

So there you go, that's my advice.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


December 3rd, 2013, 4:19 am
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2701
Post Re: Smartphones
The Moto X's more stock version of Android is nice, and the always-on feature is cool, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's an underpowered phone with last year's hardware. When you buy it, you're mostly paying to have a custom paint job.

If you're over 6-feet tall, I would strongly recommend the Note 3, or if not, wait a couple of months for the S5 to come out. Also, if you're not on Verizon, you could just buy the Nexus 5 outright for $350 and then pay month-to-month instead of locking yourself into a contract. You'd save a lot of money that way.

The Nexus 5 has kinda crappy battery life and the camera is mediocre, but the phone is insanely fast and responsive (it's so "snappy" when you use it), more so even than the iPhone 5s, which has always been Android's weakness compared to Apple.

Although, if you can hold out until next September, I really do think a big iPhone will be out then. Anecdotally, I know so many people that have said, "If Apple doesn't have the big phone this year I'm switching!" even tech reviewers that are mostly biased towards Apple. If they don't have the 5-inch iPhone this year they're going to start losing a lot of customers.


December 3rd, 2013, 8:57 am
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3142
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: Smartphones
Blueskies wrote:
The Moto X's more stock version of Android is nice, and the always-on feature is cool, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's an underpowered phone with last year's hardware. When you buy it, you're mostly paying to have a custom paint job.

If you're over 6-feet tall, I would strongly recommend the Note 3, or if not, wait a couple of months for the S5 to come out. Also, if you're not on Verizon, you could just buy the Nexus 5 outright for $350 and then pay month-to-month instead of locking yourself into a contract. You'd save a lot of money that way.

The Nexus 5 has kinda crappy battery life and the camera is mediocre, but the phone is insanely fast and responsive (it's so "snappy" when you use it), more so even than the iPhone 5s, which has always been Android's weakness compared to Apple.

Although, if you can hold out until next September, I really do think a big iPhone will be out then. Anecdotally, I know so many people that have said, "If Apple doesn't have the big phone this year I'm switching!" even tech reviewers that are mostly biased towards Apple. If they don't have the 5-inch iPhone this year they're going to start losing a lot of customers.

I would disagree about the Moto X being just a "custom paint job". It regularly has been rated as the best available Android phone, including as recently as last week as rated by AndroidCentral. From its beginning, the Moto X has been underestimated because of less than bleeding edge specs. But, the user experience on it is generally better than other Android handsets. That's the primary reason why the iPhone is so popular. It's not that it has the best specs. It doesn't, and never has. But it does provide (arguably) the best user experience. Same with the Moto X. It's not going to win any spec wars. But for overall usability, it's a great experience. I think the real future of Android is going to be in handsets like the Moto X. Right now, Samsung is winning with the "throw in every conceivable feature, whether they work or not" philosophy, but I don't think that will last. Eventually, people go for the products that provide the best user experience, and I think that will be phones more like the Moto X.

As for a 5 inch iPhone, that would be a huge step. I could see them going to the 4.5 inch level, but not all the way to 5. Even today, 5 inch phones are quite big (Nexus 5), with the Note being way too big. For a phone to have mass market appeal, it needs to be easily pocketable. The Note series is way too big to comfortably fit in a pocket, hence its lack of wide ranging appeal relative to smaller phones. So I could see a 4.5 or 4.7 inch screen on the next iPhone, but definitely not bigger.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


December 3rd, 2013, 5:30 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2701
Post Re: Smartphones
Quote:
I would disagree about the Moto X being just a "custom paint job". It regularly has been rated as the best available Android phone, including as recently as last week as rated by AndroidCentral. From its beginning, the Moto X has been underestimated because of less than bleeding edge specs. But, the user experience on it is generally better than other Android handsets. That's the primary reason why the iPhone is so popular. It's not that it has the best specs. It doesn't, and never has. But it does provide (arguably) the best user experience. Same with the Moto X. It's not going to win any spec wars. But for overall usability, it's a great experience. I think the real future of Android is going to be in handsets like the Moto X. Right now, Samsung is winning with the "throw in every conceivable feature, whether they work or not" philosophy, but I don't think that will last. Eventually, people go for the products that provide the best user experience, and I think that will be phones more like the Moto X.

As for a 5 inch iPhone, that would be a huge step. I could see them going to the 4.5 inch level, but not all the way to 5. Even today, 5 inch phones are quite big (Nexus 5), with the Note being way too big. For a phone to have mass market appeal, it needs to be easily pocketable. The Note series is way too big to comfortably fit in a pocket, hence its lack of wide ranging appeal relative to smaller phones. So I could see a 4.5 or 4.7 inch screen on the next iPhone, but definitely not bigger.


Here's the thing -- there is no single "best phone." Everyone has different demands. Some might really value battery life, others must have a swappable SD card, still others might find the camera very important to them, or not really care about the camera at all. The size of the phone being either "too big" or "too small" is entirely subjective. Same for "user experience." Sony's phones are now completely waterproof, but the ports are covered with plastic covers that are really annoying to remove. Some (college kids, beach bums) might be in love with this feature, others might find it a pain.

The Moto X's 4.7-inch screen might be perfect for some, but for me (a guy with large hands) it's far too small. Prior to the Note lineup being released, I had to have a phone with a physical keyboard. It's absolutely impossible for me to type on my girlfriend's iPhone -- my fingers constantly hit multiple keys. My Note fits perfectly in my pocket, but I wear bigger pants than the average person. It's also popular with a lot of women who carry them in their purses.

Also, specs do matter, you admitted it yourself when you noted there's a reason the iPhone 4s seems slow today. And it isn't true about Apple not having the best. When the Retina display first came out, it was the best on the market, and right now, the iPhone 5s has the best processor of any phone, by a somewhat wide margin. That processing power isn't really necessary right now, but that's why Apple markets the iPhone 5s as being "future proof" -- in two years, the phone will still seem fast.

EDIT:

Anyone shopping for a phone should watch Marques Brownlee's videos. He does a really great job and emphasizes individual positive and negatives.

Here's his Moto X
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJTlB_S7ct0

Comparing the S4 and the HTC One
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpiPzgBJU9M


Last edited by Blueskies on December 3rd, 2013, 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.



December 3rd, 2013, 6:49 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3142
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: Smartphones
Blueskies wrote:
Here's the thing -- there is no single "best phone." Everyone has different demands. Some might really value battery life, others must have a swappable SD card, still others might find the camera very important to them, or not really care about the camera at all. The size of the phone being either "too big" or "too small" is entirely subjective. Same for "user experience." Sony's phones are now completely waterproof, but the ports are covered with plastic covers that are really annoying to remove. Some (college kids, beach bums) might be in love with this feature, others might find it a pain.

The Moto X's 4.7-inch screen might be perfect for some, but for me (a guy with large hands) it's far too small. Prior to the Note lineup being released, I had to have a phone with a physical keyboard. It's absolutely impossible for me to type on my girlfriend's iPhone -- my fingers constantly hit multiple keys. My Note fits perfectly in my pocket, but I wear bigger pants than the average person. It's also popular with a lot of women who carry them in their purses.

Also, specs do matter, you admitted it yourself when you noted there's a reason the iPhone 4s seems slow today. And it isn't true about Apple not having the best. When the Retina display first came out, it was the best on the market, and right now, the iPhone 5s has the best processor of any phone, by a somewhat wide margin. That processing power isn't really necessary right now, but that's why Apple markets the iPhone 5s as being "future proof" -- in two years, the phone will still seem fast.

I agree on all points. I always ask people what's most important to them before I recommend a phone. Or I give several options with a caveat for each.

With regard to the iPhone, I guess I was referring to previous generations more than current ones. Yes, the retina display was market leading, and the current processor is top notch. But in several cases, when the iPhone launched it didn't have the fastest processor or the most RAM, but it was optimized so it ran better. Android is famous for spec wars while Apple typically doesn't wade too deep into that.

Regardless, as you said, there are many different options and the right phone for one person is not necessarily the right phone for another person.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


December 3rd, 2013, 7:02 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3362
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Smartphones
TD Jesus - Thanks for the help on the camera thing. It seems NOW I can do that, but before I never could.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


December 3rd, 2013, 9:35 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2701
Post Re: Smartphones
This is why I would wait a couple months before switching to Android:

http://bgr.com/2013/12/04/samsung-galax ... ecs-rumor/


December 5th, 2013, 10:37 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.