View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 24th, 2014, 10:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 America a semi-political banana republic? 
Modmin Dude

Post America a semi-political banana republic?
WARNING: OPINION PIECE
FoxNews.com wrote:
America has gone from government of laws to semi-political banana republic
By Patrick Caddell
Published November 21, 2013
FoxNews.com

The rule of law has been replaced in Washington by "yes we can." The events we witnessed Thursday in the Senate, that is Majority Leader Harry Reid's success at invoking the so-called 'nuclear option,' stripping the minority party of its primary power to block nominations, have become a stunning capstone to what has been already a steady erosion of a government of laws down to a sort of semi-political banana republic.

We are now living in a republic in which politicians do what they want without regard to tradition or the best interests of our country.

The rule of more than 200 years since the Senate was formed, as described by James Madison, to be "...the saucer of the hot cup of the House" has been overthrown.

The role of the Senate is to be a deliberative body. The rule of filibuster was overthrown Thursday by a change in the rules. It's a change which could never have even been conceived of before in our history, even in those periods when we've had total one party rule.

However, let me state for the record that when the Republicans tried the "nuclear option" I was as outraged then as I am now.

It was as wrong then as it was today in Washington.

It's depressing to see the people who put their party registration ahead of their responsibilities as American leaders.

Then, Democrats where screaming like stuck pigs. Yet many of those same representatives supported the nuclear option Thursday.

But this is not a short term, temporary political matter. This is not just about the upsetting of short term political rules. It's much bigger and should be upsettting to any America who puts their country ahead of their party.

For some time now we have been living in a period where a government operating on this slippery slope has been evident.

Consider in recent months, the reports, which are yet unproven but appear look serious about the possible tampering with official unemployment numbers.

In the past, even when the unemployment numbers have been gathered -- and not always without error -- the mere thought and the appearance that they were not published in good faith or tainted by politics never entered into the discussion.

The process of picking the numbers is sacrosanct. The possibility that politics influenced official employment figures strikes at the very core credibility of government. It means that government is now being turned into a mere servant of politics.

This is most troubling because for the first time we cannot dismiss the possibility of this out of hand. Such an issue, even the suspicion, goes to the very core of the credibility in the people's government.

The most recent and jarring example is the Affordable Care Act where the president has, despite the actual language of the law, assumed powers to exempt people, to change the meaning of the law. Of actual legislative statue.

In a way that is stunning. Indeed, the most egregious was the Democratic and Republican leaders coming together to agree to ignore the language in the Affordable Care Act legislation and grant themselves and their staffs a special subsidy. Sadly, this is something very few people have bothered to speak out against.

The slippery slide into semi-banana republicanism was not just a problem with President Obama.

You could see this disturbing trend emerge in the presidency of George W. Bush. And it has only accelerated from there.

For example, President Bush's claim, on signing statements, that he had the right to not enforce some of the things that were included in the law. That he believed he could designate parts of the law he had just signed as something he was not required to enforce.

Barack Obama campaigned against this in 2008 but since ascending to the presidency he has only expanded the process.

President Bush in his administration claimed "presidential prerogatives" that were never heretofore known in the areas of national security and in war powers.

It was a Republican administration and a Republican Congress that passed the Medicare Part D provision by illegally holding the vote in the House open for four and a half hours while the White House threatened and wheedled members of Congress into voting for it.

And of course it was a Republican-led Senate, supported by a Republican president that first threatened to invoke the nuclear option until responsible Republican senators were willing to act for constitutional government, and protectionary institutions and for the nation's greater good, over a short-term partisan agenda.

Thursday, only three Democrats were willing to put the institution before this effort
to achieve a short-term political goal.

That, my friends, this is the very definition of a slippery slope.

Surprisingly the outrage from the Republicans has been somewhat muted to say the least.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell has complained that this event today was merely to distract attention from ObamaCare.

Really?

I have had conversations today with at least two conservatives who have said, "so what? It will work for us next time, as soon as we take the Senate back." And I doubt that those sentiments that were expressed are unique only to me.

What is missing, the dog that is not barking here, is that the Senate Republicans have not been willing to bring the body to a screaming halt to stop this institutional crime against a government of rules. And they could.

First of all, the Senate, by it's own rules, has a specific way of operating. There are many, many things, mundane things every day that occur only by "unanimous consent." The dissent of one senator can often delay the workings of the Senate.

Imagine what would happen if 45 or 48 Senators decide that they will agree to nothing in the face of this.

But they don't.

Imagine if every bill and every proposal in front of the Senate were filibustered on principle and that it required an effort to constitutionally over it?

Is not preserving representative government important enough?

Should not this effort, this coup d'état not be greeted with an attitude of "wait till we get there" but with a genuine outrage of men and women of principle?

We are in grave danger.

Tuesday we honored the 150th anniversary of government of the people, by the people and for the people when we remembered Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.

Now, just two days later, we are reminded just how grave the danger to that concept exists by members of a political class and their apologists in the maninstream media who will put political interests before the good of the United States of America.

What is astounding is the large degree and matter of fact complacency about this institutional act of coup de etat.

American self-government is under threat. And the American people no doubt know it. And something must happen.

This is why an undeclared war now exists between the mainstream of American and the established political class of both parties.

I feel, without question, that there will soon be open warfare between the great vast majority of the American people and this self-perpetuating and self-aggrandizing ruling class that is willing to put their ambitions and power above a government of the American people.

Patrick Caddell is a Democratic pollster and Fox News contributor. He served as pollster for President Jimmy Carter, Gary Hart, Joe Biden and others. He is a Fox News political analyst and co-host of "Political Insiders" Sundays on Fox News Channel and Mondays at 10:30 am ET on "FoxNews.com Live."

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/11/ ... -republic/

Joe Fauria, MVP!

December 2nd, 2013, 5:03 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: America a semi-political banana republic?
TheRealWags wrote:
American self-government is under threat. And the American people no doubt know it. And something must happen.

This is why an undeclared war now exists between the mainstream of American and the established political class of both parties.

Both parties are a joke. No undeclared war exists however, as Americans simply dig into "their side" pointing to the faults of the "other side" and either ignoring or minimizing their own parties huge issues.

America needs to go to war with both parties but is too stupid and too lazy to actually go to war with the political system and the two dominant parties.

I'm personally disgusted with both sides and those that support them. I'm even more disgusted by those who keep supporting "their side" by voting for them because they are the lessor of two evils. Let me tell you something in that phrase, both are evil - one is just "lessor" in your mind. You are supporting evil with your vote and until we, over an extended period of time, stop voting for these two parties we are stuck right where we are. If you didn't vote against both Democrats and Republicans, you are the problem!

December 2nd, 2013, 6:23 pm
Profile WWW
League MVP

Pablo wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:

Both parties are a joke. No undeclared war exists however, as Americans simply dig into "their side" pointing to the faults of the "other side" and either ignoring or minimizing their own parties huge issues.

America needs to go to war with both parties but is too stupid and too lazy to actually go to war with the political system and the two dominant parties.

I'm personally disgusted with both sides and those that support them. I'm even more disgusted by those who keep supporting "their side" by voting for them because they are the lessor of two evils. Let me tell you something in that phrase, both are evil - one is just "lessor" in your mind. You are supporting evil with your vote and until we, over an extended period of time, stop voting for these two parties we are stuck right where we are. If you didn't vote against both Democrats and Republicans, you are the problem!

but yet every year you guys tell me im throwing my vote away..bout time ya came around to sensable thinking! ;)

December 2nd, 2013, 6:48 pm
QB Coach

Pablo,
Not to rehash the Coke vs. Pepsi, but there ISN"T a viable option. Libertarian is NOT a viable option as it leans a little too closely towards anarchy for my sake. Let me explain, and this is PURELY my opinion, the Libertarian party supports individual rights. Not necessarily a bad thing on the surface, but without an established bedrock of rights, say the Constitution, then you have individuals demanding rights from their perspective. Taken to the extreme, you have what the LHTGB Organization is opening up Pandora's box with their pushing of equal rights. I'm not trying to argue whether they do or don't, but what I am trying to say is that IF that door is thrown open, where do we draw the line for the stuff behind it that isn't acceptable? We are seeing how pedophile's are now trying to push for their rights to perform their acts. So what this boils down to is where do we draw the line?

If there were a Constitutional Party, that could produce a sound, moral, States Rights, Individual rights, candidate that could actually gain traction with the public then you might have something. As it is, Coke and Pepsi are both attacking the new comer, (TEA Party), and with the destruction of the rule of law by Presidential Executive Order and other side stepping moves, and those we've seen by the double standard Liberal party, we don't have a foundation to build off of any more. On top of that, with the removal of a moral standard now there's a "free for all" that is further destroying this nation.

Another point is that you have the Bread and Circus programs where those who are willing to take are given more and more subsidies and presents, in exchange for their "vote" or support, and those who do not support are being choked out by regulation and red tape. The design is such that it is meant to be frustrating enough where people will eventually give up and surrender to the system instead of doing as we Americans have traditionally done. It's a slight of hand move, where a forked tongue figurehead tells you all the words you want to hear, but in truth delivers nothing that was promised.

It goes back to what I've said from years back: It's all about control! The government is setting it up so that they will provide: housing, medical care, utility checks, food (welfare, wic and more), and cell phones. Accept the program as so many currently are and life is gravy ( in a substandard everyone is equal) sort of way. If you don't do it, rules and regulations, taxes and fees are all designed to stifle free enterprise. Schools are designed to remove free thinking, self motivation, in order to train up the next generations.

Having said all the above, I REALIZE that I am NOT the political genius that many of you are, so please discuss without name calling . These are perspectives as I've seen them from my world, and a new 3rd party is not going to fix this country. What we are seeing is a paradigm shift in the moral fabric of this nation, and we are reaping what we've sown for decades. Until we fix the heart, we won't EVER be able to fix the body. NEWSFLASH: This nations heart will not be changed.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

December 2nd, 2013, 8:59 pm
Modmin Dude

regularjoe12 wrote:
Pablo wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:

but yet every year you guys tell me im throwing my vote away..bout time ya came around to sensable thinking! ;)
Been there for a couple of cycles now. The last time I voted 'party lines' was Bush in 2000. Now I vote for the person that I think would be the best for the job, not the letter behind their name.

Joe Fauria, MVP!

December 3rd, 2013, 9:59 am
RIP Killer

WarEr4Christ wrote:
Pablo,
Not to rehash the Coke vs. Pepsi, but there ISN"T a viable option. Libertarian is NOT a viable option as it leans a little too closely towards anarchy for my sake. Let me explain, and this is PURELY my opinion, the Libertarian party supports individual rights. Not necessarily a bad thing on the surface, but without an established bedrock of rights, say the Constitution, then you have individuals demanding rights from their perspective. Taken to the extreme, you have what the LHTGB Organization is opening up Pandora's box with their pushing of equal rights. I'm not trying to argue whether they do or don't, but what I am trying to say is that IF that door is thrown open, where do we draw the line for the stuff behind it that isn't acceptable? We are seeing how pedophile's are now trying to push for their rights to perform their acts. So what this boils down to is where do we draw the line?

You are missing the point, so let me try to retry this. Coke and Pepsi aren't viable options, we know this based upon years of failure.

I'm not saying vote "for" any of the other parties but rather "against" the establishment (Reps/Dems).

The Libertarians aren't going to win the next election cycle, or the election cycle after that. I'm a realist. What we need to do is send a message to both parties, and we obviously aren't sending a message by voting for one of these two parties every time.

Is it a wasted vote since the non Dem/Rep won't win? Yes, in the short run. But you already know your vote is wasted on either parties platform - unless you love unending welfare programs that create dependency, debt spiraling out of control, a bulging gov't payroll and government departments that run as inefficient as possible.

Why not actually vote for something/anything different. You won't win, but if enough of you start to vote against the establishment - well then the establishment might actually need to change.

December 3rd, 2013, 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

That makes sense, even if it's the same as not voting, you are still giving your vote a voice by standing on the principles you believe. The difficulty is that Conservative Christians don't really have a party that I'm aware of.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

December 3rd, 2013, 4:39 pm
RIP Killer

WarEr4Christ wrote:
That makes sense, even if it's the same as not voting, you are still giving your vote a voice by standing on the principles you believe. The difficulty is that Conservative Christians don't really have a party that I'm aware of.

Good thing too, because one of our main core principles is separation of church and state.

Can you imagine a ballot with the following parties:

Conservative Christians
Islamic Fundamentalist

Now this would be great if your party was the one in office, absolutely terrible if they were not. Would you really want parties built around religious philosophies? I certainly wouldn't. If you look around the globe you will see some examples of this and those countries tend to be an absolute mess. There is a reason why Egypt is now trying to adopt a constitution to ban religious political parties. Libya has already done so. There are a number of other countries where this also needs to happen.

Faith, which is largely emotional and lacks common sense, has no place in governing a country. None!

But if it is OK for the US, lets let all the countries adopt religious political parties. Then I would take all my "end is near" talk back because I can certainly tell you how things would end.

December 3rd, 2013, 5:39 pm
Profile WWW
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Pablo, I've told you time and time again that a 3rd party is not viable. The Dems and the GOP have monopolized the infrastructure and money (i.e. special interests) surrounding politics. The only realistic way to beat them is to infiltrate them from within. Hell, that's what the communists/socialists have done within the Democratic Party, so that's what the Tea Party is doing within the GOP now.

While the GOP "establishment" is worried about races for President, Governor, and Congress, we're electing delegates and county chairs. It's only a matter a time. Since the beginning, we knew this was going to be a long term, no holds barred fight, that wasn't going to be won overnight, but it's a start. Bear with us.

I can only hope that the country can hold on while people like me do the dirty work behind the scenes. I've mentioned many times that I don't post on the Lions board much any more because I have more important things to do. Working 60+ hours per week is one. Destroying the GOP establishment from within is the other. Along with mocking and ridiculing libards at every opportunity, but that's a given. :D

December 5th, 2013, 5:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]